PDA

View Full Version : Mighty Mavs

Mavericks#1
05-20-2005, 05:38 AM
Great article on the bright future and great success UNO athletics has had over the past few years. I have only taken a few of the highlights from the article. Biggest athletic budget of any D2 school and top 40 of D1AA!!!! Are you kidding me!!! This is coming from a former AD from your state. The state of your athletic financial well being comes from a few posters on this board. Big difference coming from an unbiased source.
Don't look over your shoulder now rabbitts... that noise you hear is a herd of Mavericks on the move.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=1414823

School's commitment helps make UNO force in Division II athletics

When Bob Danenhauer stepped down as athletic director last August, he was credited with helping bring about a golden age for the UNO program - after all, the Mavericks had won 15 North Central Conference championships in eight years.

It turns out they were just warming up.

Seven of the 15 University of Nebraska at Omaha programs have won NCC titles this school year. Four others finished second.

But UNO would be a power in any Division II conference. After the winter sports season, the school ranked eighth nationally in the Sports Academy's Directors' Cup standings measuring overall athletic performance.

Strong showings this spring in baseball, and women's softball, golf, tennis and track should help the Mavericks finish near the top.

The UNO wrestling team is excused for finishing second in the conference. It won its second straight national title.

Women's teams won NCC titles in soccer, softball, swimming and tennis.

"I can't remember any year quite like this," said UNO sports information director Gary Anderson, whose connections to the school date back several decades.

But in the mid-1990s, the school committed to funding each athletic program at or near the limit allowed on either the national or conference level.

"And we wanted to be competitive in all our sports - not just put our eggs in a few baskets and tell the rest of the sports, 'Best of luck.'"

UNO's success is no surprise to Kelly Higgins of Omaha. Among other pursuits, the former South Dakota athletic director serves as a consultant, compiling and analyzing things such as athletic department budgets.

He said UNO has the highest Division II budget in the country, just ahead of North Dakota, and would rank among the top 40 in Division I-AA. UNO's budget is $6.7 million. Danenhauer said the athletic department budget tripled during his stay and that contributions and donations from boosters rose from about $150,000 to close to $1 million annually.

"You've got good coaches, a lot of money and a great location," Higgins said. "You combine all those factors and it makes success a whole lot easier."

The hockey program was an instant revenue producer that boosted the athletic department budget and helped support four new women's programs - soccer, golf, swimming and tennis.

And because of the dorms, it has helped us recruit the in-state and area athlete. If you look at our rosters compared to 10 years ago, you see that."

"The kids might want to know about the athletic success," he said. "But the parents are more concerned about the overall quality of the school and the education. That's what shows that this is really a great place to be."

89rabbit
05-20-2005, 06:12 AM
First off, yawn, this is D-II news. Why is it on our board? That being said, let me once again offer up my congrats on your recent success. As I have pointed out before, UNO finally starts winning after SDSU, NDSU and UNC leave, coincidence? I think not. Rather then bash the Rabbits every chance you get maybe you should be thanking us since our moving to D-I has allowed you to taste some D-II success. Finally isn't that just like a former USD AD to misrepresent the facts. He lumps in the money that UND and UNO spend on D-I Hockey (both school's pride and Joy, hey maybe there is something to this D-I thing after all, huh Mav. ;) ) with your D-II budgets and declares that UNO has the largest D-II budget. I wonder if misrepresenting the facts like that helped lead USD athletics to it's current state. As USD's current AD said USD has a "chronic funding issue". ::)

Go State! ;D

jackmd
05-20-2005, 06:16 AM
I would expect more success and recognition from a school with all the advantages of UNO. I am sitting in a room with 40 people in southern MN and I bet not one of them has any clue about UNO. Not one.

Keep aspiring to be SDSU. Its flattering.

GoJacks02
05-20-2005, 02:52 PM
And it says plenty about the character of a University that supposedly has the budget and the talent to compete at the DI level, but chooses not to.

"Courage is of the rarest traits in human nature, which goes lengths to explain why most wisthstanding tales are rooted in its majesty."

Mavericks#1
05-20-2005, 03:42 PM
And it says plenty about the character of a University that supposedly has the budget and the talent to compete at the DI level, but chooses not to.

"Courage is of the rarest traits in human nature, which go lengths to explain why most wisthstanding tales are rooted in its majesty."

Go Jacks02

I have seen a lot of guys go into fights with a ton of courage only to come out with a black eye and broken nose. There comes a point when a guy keeps getting of the canvas only to get beat down again that you start to wonder is it courage or is it stupidity.

Mavs #1

SiouxFallsJack
05-20-2005, 04:10 PM
There comes a point when a guy keeps getting of the canvas only to get beat down again that you start to wonder is it courage or is it stupidity.

Did you mean off the canvas?

Uno....where they care about winning, not speling.

89rabbit
05-20-2005, 04:36 PM
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.

John Quincy Adams

6th President of the United States of America (1767 - 1848 )

Go State! ;D

jacksfaninne
05-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Don't look over your shoulder now rabbitts...

You've summed it up perfectly, Mav: UNO -- forever the followers.

Mavericks#1
05-20-2005, 08:15 PM
You've summed it up perfectly, Mav: UNO -- forever the followers.

Jackfaninne,

REMEMBER THE STORY OF THE TORTISE AND THE HARE. WE ARE THE TORTISE AND HOW IRONIC YOU ARE THE HARE. WE ALL KNOW WHO WON THE RACE DON'T WE!

MAVS#1

GoJacks02
05-20-2005, 09:06 PM
Mavs #D2

Remember the story about the obsessed D-II fan who persistently posted pointlessly on a fan board.

He was an antagonist at heart. He didn't just post messages about the sports team, he went after inviduals and entire cultures.

One fine afternoon, something good happened to him. It was about time.

jacksfaninne
05-20-2005, 09:44 PM
Ah yes, Mav, but there's one big difference between the fable you reference and reality: Obviously, the tortise in the story had the will and desire to compete with the best and the fastest. We all know that you and your fellow UNO Turtles are happy as can be racing toward mediocrity.

SiouxFallsJack
05-20-2005, 11:27 PM
Ah yes, Mav, but there's one big difference between the fable you reference and reality: Obviously, the tortise in the story had the will and desire to compete with the best and the fastest. We all know that you and your fellow UNO Turtles are happy as can be racing toward mediocrity.

Could not have stated this any better. ;D ;D ;D

Mavericks#1
05-21-2005, 05:50 AM

Mediocrity???? Help me understand how seven conference titles and a National Championship in one year seems medicore to you. If that is medicore, I will take medicore every year. Losing to a NAIA school in basketball.. that cries medicore to me.

Mavs #1

jacksfaninne
05-21-2005, 06:37 AM
"in one year ..."

Exactly. In a year in a conference with the level of competition significantly lowered. Mediocre=Ordinary. You can look it up. And I'm not surprised you'd take that every year. We wouldn't expect anything more from UNO.

A loss to an NAIA school? "in one year ..." Our first year. Big difference -- we're raising our level of competition. You're lowering yours. Good luck to you and your Turtles.

"Mediocrity is excellent to the eyes of mediocre people." -- Joseph Joubert

JBNJBQ
05-21-2005, 06:46 AM
Mavs #D2

That is a great tag for Maverdink! I commend you for coming up with it GoJacks02!

MAVS #D2

I like it! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

jackmd
05-21-2005, 01:08 PM
Mediocrity???? Help me understand how seven conference titles and a National Championship in one year seems medicore to you. If that is medicore, I will take medicore every year. Losing to a NAIA school in basketball.. that cries medicore to me.

Mavs #1
Christ Mav, get a life.

I'll state the obvious for you. We left the NCC because of where it is headed, not what it use to be.

I'll break it down redneck style. When you are the 4th or 5th best beer guzzler at college during your 6th year and the 3 guys better at guzzling beer than you finally graduate, you may become the best beer guzzler at that school. After years of struggling to acheive that dream you're to stupid to recognize why you're now the best and celebrate it as if its the same as beating the 3 or 4 who were better than you. All your other buddies who are still stuck in the mud like you support your celebration because they know (or maybe they don't) that it is only going to get worse for them, not better. Oops, I may have given it away. Sorry to burst your bubble. Idiot.

SiouxFallsJack
05-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Christ Mav, get a life.

I'll state the obvious for you. We left the NCC because of where it is headed, not what it use to be.

I'll break it down redneck style. When you are the 4th or 5th best beer guzzler at college during your 6th year and the 3 guys better at guzzling beer than you finally graduate, you may become the best beer guzzler at that school. After years of struggling to acheive that dream you're to stupid to recognize why you're now the best and celebrate it as if its the same as beating the 3 or 4 who were better than you. All your other buddies who are still stuck in the mud like you support your celebration because they know (or maybe they don't) that it is only going to get worse for them, not better. Oops, I may have given it away. Sorry to burst your bubble. Idiot.

Sounds like an excellent description of mav, but I'm not sure how he could have afford to gone to school for 6 years. ;D ;D ;D

Mavericks#1
05-22-2005, 04:55 AM
Christ Mav, get a life.

Calling people names? If your are arrogant enough to include MD in your name at least act like the professional that you are. I am not sure what in the hell you were trying to explain. I feel like the patient that is walking out of the office not sure what the Doctor said, all they know is they have a script in their hand. You should stay away from explaining things that involve common sense because I can tell that waved bye- bye to you along time ago. You should have read it out of some medical textbook or research paper. You would have done much better. Now get back to accepting freebies from the drug companies and overprescribing medicine. While you are at it prescribe a little Prozac for yourself to control those mood swings of yours. Then again you are probably already on it to help ease the pain of all of those arse kickings that your rabbitts have been taking lately. I myself will continue my natural high produced by all of championships that UNO has been winning lately.

Mavs #1

JBNJBQ
05-22-2005, 04:58 AM

jacksfaninne:

You have tremendous insight! You have summed up the entire "New NCC."

1. The Hares are no longer entered in the race!

2. Only tortises remain!

3. Who cares which turtle wins a turtle race? Nobody!

http://www.allarounddanville.com/MiscHTMLpages/40thTurtle%20races/turtle%20races%202004_0109.jpg

THE "NEW" NCC

jackmd
05-23-2005, 11:11 AM
Calling people names? If your are arrogant enough to include MD in your name at least act like the professional that you are. I am not sure what in the hell you were trying to explain. I feel like the patient that is walking out of the office not sure what the Doctor said, all they know is they have a script in their hand. You should stay away from explaining things that involve common sense because I can tell that waved bye- bye to you along time ago. You should have read it out of some medical textbook or research paper. You would have done much better. Now get back to accepting freebies from the drug companies and overprescribing medicine. While you are at it prescribe a little Prozac for yourself to control those mood swings of yours. Then again you are probably already on it to help ease the pain of all of those arse kickings that your rabbitts have been taking lately. I myself will continue my natural high produced by all of championships that UNO has been winning lately.

Mavs #1

Mav #1

I suspect you're the arrogant one. I've explained the origin of my name before if you missed out, too bad. I could say the same about a guy with #1 in his name. I earned the M.D. I suspect the same can't be said for your #1. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings with the idiot reference but based on some of your recent logic it seemed appropriate.

Don't worry about me. There are a lot more important things in my life than a Jackrabbit win or loss. For me its about the big picture. For you its about your next cheap shot which is your only opportunity to feel good about yourself. The success of SDSU or UNO is not about you or I, its about much more than that. I would never expect you to understand.

Here is to more success for UNO in the DII ranks. I just don't want to hear about it on this forum. Why is that so hard to understand?

bigjake
05-24-2005, 04:48 AM
Mav, I too have never understood why people put their job titles in their moniker. Just don't see how that is pertinent to the discussion at hand. Seems to be a ploy to add enhanced prestige to your argument. I would hope that people think the force of their argument would carry the day instead of the title of their moniker. I had a neighbor awhile back who moved in and introduced himself as "dr" and he was a chiropractor. Even if he was a brain surgeon I just don't see how that was pertinent at all to a brief introduction but apparently a lot of doctors think so. But if it makes people feel better about their enhanced status then more power to them. They went to medical school which IS a big accomplishment but it is a lot more attractive if they are a little more humble about it.

SDSUFAN
05-24-2005, 05:11 AM
Mav, I too have never understood why people put their job titles in their moniker. Just don't see how that is pertinent to the discussion at hand. Seems to be a ploy to add enhanced prestige to your argument. I would hope that people think the force of their argument would carry the day instead of the title of their moniker. I had a neighbor awhile back who moved in and introduced himself as "dr" and he was a chiropractor. Even if he was a brain surgeon I just don't see how that was pertinent at all to a brief introduction but apparently a lot of doctors think so. But if it makes people feel better about their enhanced status then more power to them. They went to medical school which IS a big accomplishment but it is a lot more attractive if they are a little more humble about it.

Big Jake and Mav 1:
The solution here is to start your own board. That way you would not have to be offended by arrogance and titles. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. My bad, you are both the same person so you would be talking to yourself. ;)

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
05-24-2005, 10:33 AM
Mav, I too have never understood why people put their job titles in their moniker. Just don't see how that is pertinent to the discussion at hand. Seems to be a ploy to add enhanced prestige to your argument.

I can understand your frustration. BigJakeSanitationEngineer doesn't have much of a ring to it.

jacksfaninne
05-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Anyone else think that the appearance of the terms "UNO" and "enhanced prestige" in the same thread is the ultimate oxymoron?

JBNJBQ
05-25-2005, 04:57 AM
Anyone else think that the appearance of the terms "UNO" and "enhanced prestige" in the same thread is the ultimate oxymoron?

I think Mavs#D2 is already listed (#9) but,

You have to read it backwards! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Top 20 Oxymoron List: (author unknown)

20. Government Organization
19. Alone Together
18. Personal Computer
17. Silent Scream
16. Living Dead
15. Same Difference
14. Taped Live
13. Plastic Glasses
12. Tight Slacks
11. Peace Force

10. Pretty Ugly
9. Head Butt
8. Working Vacation
7. Tax Return
6. Virtual Reality
5. Dodge Ram
4. Work Party
3. Jumbo Shrimp
2. Healthy Tan
1. Microsoft Works

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

footballfan
05-26-2005, 02:47 PM
Did anyone see the standings for the NCC conference Cup for 2004-05 ...... #1 was Minnesota State-Mankato #2 was und #3 was usd and #4 were the mighty Mavs from UNO. Now that is something to be proud of,,,placing behind those 3 schools......

Go Jacks !!!!!!!

Mavericks#1
05-26-2005, 06:52 PM
Did anyone see the standings for the NCC conference Cup for 2004-05 ...... #1 was Minnesota State-Mankato #2 was und #3 was usd and #4 were the mighty Mavs from UNO. Now that is something to be proud of,,,placing behind those 3 schools......

Go Jacks !!!!!!!

That is because we don't carry Men's Tennis, Golf, Track,Cross Country and Swimming . If we had them, trust me we would be dominating. According to the Directors Cup we are third in the nation! ;D ;D

Go Mavs! ;D

Cleveland, Ohio - Defending champion Grand Valley State University (Mich.) has opened the spring season with a commanding lead for the Sports Academy Directors' Cup standings for Division II.

Grand Valley State posted 748 points, 205 points ahead of the second place team. The Lakers placed second in women's golf, 17th in women's tennis, 21st in men's golf and 32nd in men's tennis.

In second place with 543 points, is Cal State Bakersfield, with a fourth place finish in men's golf. They are followed by Nebraska Omaha, in third with 529 points; North Dakota, in fourth with 511.5 points; and Minnesota State Mankato, in fifth with 487 points.

This is the first set of spring standings and includes the sports of women and men's golf and tennis and women's lacrosse. Winning these national championships were Rollins (Fla.) in women's golf, South Carolina Aiken in men's golf, Armstrong Atlantic State (Ga.) in women's tennis, West Florida in men's tennis and Stonehill (Mass.) in women's lacrosse.

The Sports Academy Directors' Cup was developed as a joint effort between the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) and USA Today. The United States Sports Academy, based in Daphne, Alabama, is the program sponsor. Points are awarded based on each institution's finish in up to 14 sports -- seven women's and seven men's.

footballfan
05-27-2005, 06:27 AM
Looks like that is a little bit of a sore spot with you......4th in the NCC When we talk schools it is always good to talk about the BIG picture, not just pick and choose......

Go Jacks !!!!!

JBNJBQ
05-27-2005, 10:51 AM

HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't that UNO, still in the center of the CIRCLE?

http://www.allarounddanville.com/MiscHTMLpages/40thTurtle%20races/turtle%20races%202004_0109.jpg

It is so hard to tell. All those DII schools look alike to me!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
05-27-2005, 02:34 PM

Go Jacks !!!!!!!

yikes! 4th in the NCC? Now I know why Mavs and Jake have been talking so much trash. That has to be the highest UNO's been in a while. Seriously, I can't believe you two yahoos were talking all that smack and you're 4th in the conference. Better watch all those glass windows with those stones you're tossin.

bigjake
05-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Boys, if we had all the worthless minor sports you have we would have won the ncc cup. We only have 3 d2 men's sports so we just accumulate enough points to compete with schools who have more sports. I am surprised former college guys can't figure that out.

Mavericks#1
05-27-2005, 07:11 PM
I find it a pity that those who aren't winning have to try and drag down us who are.

SDSUFAN
05-28-2005, 01:58 AM
Boys, if we had all the worthless minor sports you have we would have won the ncc cup. We only have 3 d2 men's sports so we just accumulate enough points to compete with schools who have more sports. I am surprised former college guys can't figure that out.

Worthless minor sports? Only in the eyes of the beholder.

Rabbitden
05-28-2005, 01:37 PM
Love your quotes and inuendos. :-/
Just wanted to add something...first off I have spent plenty of time in this city you call wonderful (Omaha).
Not impressed and very happy to leave. You also mentioned Huron in one of your comments, lived there also...agreed...not the best place in SD to recide but people were friendly and realistic. Also the silent majority owner on the Minnasota Twins still lives there and one of the hottest Charlies Angels is from there (Cheryl Ladd).

Daisy Duke (Cathrine Bach), Faith, SD, Bob Barker, Tom Brokow, Pat O'Brien, David Soul, should I go on...no they do not live here, but all of them including the athletes you mentioned earlier still make plenty of trips back here for family, hunting, fishing, etc.

Speaking of fishing...you mentioned the mighty mo...it looks terrible in the Omaha area...check it out in Chamberlain, Yankton, Pierre if you want to see real beauty on that river.

Now, as far as UNO sports goes...who really cares but you two...get your own site and let us enjoy this one. I have played against the mighty herd in Omaha, to be honest, they were pretty easy times,...no crowds to deal with, facilities not the best (agree the SDSU football facility is not either), but your comment on Frost arena being a glorified high school gym is misleading.

Frost is one of the finest basketball arenas in the nation as far as those located on campus. Now I am not talking about major Div. I programs but mid-major and Div. II.

Metro States coach has told me on many occasions how he wished they had the crowds and facilities that SDSU has for BB. He actually told me at the regionals held at SDSU when Metro beat State before going on and winning the National tournament that his team was just excited to play in that kind of atmosphere win or lose.

Now do me a favor as well as everyone else on this board...GET OFF! :o

OK_Jackrabbit
05-28-2005, 03:06 PM
This is a smack board. The whole point of a smack board is to talk smack... emphasis on the talk part. I don't think it's appropriate to silence people or to bully them into leaving. You can dislike the ridiculous things Mavs and BigJake say, and we all question why they would bother to come here and say them. But I think many of us have found that responding to their stupid comments is kind of fun.

JBNJBQ
05-28-2005, 05:23 PM
You can dislike the ridiculous things Mavs and BigJake say, and we all question why they would bother to come here and say them.

1. The two of them are not from here.

2. They are trying their best to appear as normal as they can.

3. They are searching for people that look and talk like them.

4. They are looking for a leader that can guide them.

5. They think they have found all of that here, but they are only looking at the small picture not the big picture.

http://www.crazy-jokes.com/pictures/cartoons_62.shtml

That picture pretty well illustrates Big Jake and Maverick in their quest for significance! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Mavericks#1
05-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Love your quotes and inuendos. :-/
Just wanted to add something...first off I have spent plenty of time in this city you call wonderful (Omaha).
Not impressed and very happy to leave. You also mentioned Huron in one of your comments, lived there also...agreed...not the best place in SD to recide but people were friendly and realistic. Also the silent majority owner on the Minnasota Twins still lives there and one of the hottest Charlies Angels is from there (Cheryl Ladd).

Daisy Duke (Cathrine Bach), Faith, SD, Bob Barker, Tom Brokow, Pat O'Brien, David Soul, should I go on...no they do not live here, but all of them including the athletes you mentioned earlier still make plenty of trips back here for family, hunting, fishing, etc.

Speaking of fishing...you mentioned the mighty mo...it looks terrible in the Omaha area...check it out in Chamberlain, Yankton, Pierre if you want to see real beauty on that river.

Now, as far as UNO sports goes...who really cares but you two...get your own site and let us enjoy this one. I have played against the mighty herd in Omaha, to be honest, they were pretty easy times,...no crowds to deal with, facilities not the best (agree the SDSU football facility is not either), but your comment on Frost arena being a glorified high school gym is misleading.

Frost is one of the finest basketball arenas in the nation as far as those located on campus. Now I am not talking about major Div. I programs but mid-major and Div. II.

Metro States coach has told me on many occasions how he wished they had the crowds and facilities that SDSU has for BB. He actually told me at the regionals held at SDSU when Metro beat State before going on and winning the National tournament that his team was just excited to play in that kind of atmosphere win or lose.

Now do me a favor as well as everyone else on this board...GET OFF! :o

Rabbitt Den/ Rookie

One post and you are already flapping your gums? You are telling me to get off this board. If you are a true SDSU fan where have you been? My response to you is... GET ON THIS BOARD!! By some of your comments you act like you have been on this board for years, yet you have only one post??
In reference to you famous South Dakota people I don't know if I would claim Bob Barker or Pat O'Brien. My image of Bob Barker is of this old wrinkled guy doing one of his showgirls in the backroom. He is constantly telling us to get our pets spaded and neutered when he is the one who needs to be neutered. Pat O'Brien has been doing a good Joe Namath impression of late. Tom Brokaw actually got his career started in Omaha and talks about his great memories of the Big O quite often. I don't think you can touch these famous Nebraskan's Johnny Carson, Henry Fonda, Gerald Ford, Bob Gibson, Gale Sayers. Andy Roddi ck, Warren Buffett, Nile Kinnick, Tom Osborne and Mavs#1. If I am not mistaken didn't both Pat O'Brien and Tom Brokaw go to USD. Even they would tell you that SDSU s*cks. You fogot my all time favorite baseball manager Sparky Anderson. He is from South Dakota.
I find it interesting how you talk about how SDSU used to beat UNO. Funny how you fail to leave out the past few years. Our program is on the rise and I am not sure where yours is going other than being batting practice and scrimmages for the big boys. Rabbit Den if you want to get more posts just put up stupid pictures like JBNJBQ does. Nobody will respond to your posts, but that doesn't seem to bother him. Got to go, me and Pat O'Brien are going to go slam a few beers!!!

Mavs #1

JBNJBQ
05-29-2005, 05:26 AM
1. The two of them are not from here.

2. They are trying their best to appear as normal as they can.

3. They are searching for people that look and talk like them.

4. They are looking for a leader that can guide them.

5. They think they have found all of that here, but they are only looking at the small picture not the big picture.

http://www.crazy-jokes.com/pictures/cartoons_62.shtml

That picture pretty well illustrates Big Jake and Maverick in their quest for significance! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

As a public service!

I would like to let Big Jake and Maverick#DII know that they both qualify for a free exam. All they need to do is go to the Lexington Middle School (in Omaha) May 27, 28 or 29.

http://www.crazy-jokes.com/pictures/cartoons_121.shtml

I know we have been pretty hard on the two of you, but we do still care about your health.

JBB
05-29-2005, 06:58 AM
... I find it interesting how you talk about how SDSU used to beat UNO. Funny how you fail to leave out the past few years. Our program is on the rise and I am not sure where yours is going other than being batting practice and scrimmages for the big boys. ........

UNO was entering its golden age, and even won the NCC last year in football. Of course that sure doesnt mean what it used to. Too bad you dont play SDSU. But then again, whats the point. NDSU warms up on a DII every year. They have been from the south these past few yrs. I think the NSIC will step up next yr, probably Concordia St. Paul. Doesnt look like any NCC teams want to play.

bigjake
05-29-2005, 11:28 AM
I get on d2fb.com, a kansas chiefs fan board bc I am a big fan of the chiefs, bisonville and this site. This site without any question has more people who want to shout people down and tell us to shut up and/or get off than the other sites. They have done that far less on the other sites which includes bisonville. The conclusion I make from that is that some of the people on this site are a little less assured of ultimate success than people on the other sites and feel more threatened. In my humble opinion some of this site don't believe you will be successful.
I plan to stay on this site for awhile bc unlike what you naysayers say uno may one day end up in d1 and we definitely have the support to do it if we choose. I learn a lot.
JBB - Good to hear from you again. You tried to have me expelled from bisonville.com last year which was really unhospitable. Fortunately your moderator (tony) and most on bisonville are more reasonable than you are.

JBB
05-29-2005, 11:45 AM
If I pointed out you were a loudmouth with nothing to say, guilty as charged. Trying to get you kicked off? I dont think so. ;)

Last time we played was in the Fabulous Fargo Dome in 2003. 14,000+ watched the Mighty Mavs go down by 4 TDs. About the same as Carson Newman last year and Tusculum the yr before.

JBNJBQ
05-30-2005, 08:58 AM
You must be running out of stupid questions and comments.

Naw, He is full them!

I don't believe he will ever run out!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

JBB
05-30-2005, 09:10 AM
I think like any program, it runs in cycles. Right now BB and baseball are down at NDSU. I was at the NDSU/SDSU basketball game in Fargo. It was a lot of fun and the place was packed.

Im glad last season is behind us. The transitional yr, when your DI to DII and DII to DI is tough. It can get hard to find games. That was obvious on our basketball schedules.

Our Baseball schedule was good and I hope we can contnue to play those teams. There are a lot of good baseball teams in the region. Basketball scheduling is getting better too.

jacksfaninne
05-30-2005, 12:05 PM
What in the heck became of your mens baseball and basketball program?

Wanna talk baseball? Your AD must have just found out you even had a program. Congrats to the mighty mavs on their first NCC title in 25 years! I'm sure you're proud, as you are of everything the turtles have accomplished this year against a weakened NCC.

Follow on!

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
05-31-2005, 07:12 AM
I learn a lot.

ummm, yeah.

Mavericks#1
05-31-2005, 04:07 PM
Wanna talk baseball? Your AD must have just found out you even had a program. Congrats to the mighty mavs on their first NCC title in 25 years! I'm sure you're proud, as you are of everything the turtles have accomplished this year against a weakened NCC.

Follow on!

Jacksfannine,

Our baseball program reminds me of your football program. You know the fact that you hadn't won an NCC title in over four decades. The difference is that we finally won one and you never did. It remains to be seen if you will ever win that watered down conference you are currently in.

Mavs#1

JBNJBQ
05-31-2005, 04:34 PM
It remains to be seen if you will ever win that watered down conference you are currently in.

Mavs#1

Hahahahaha! Coming from a turtle, that's rich! How are the turtle races going?

Mavs#D2 is having a little trouble communicating with his dog.

http://www.crazy-jokes.com/pictures/cartoons_42.shtml

They say a dog takes after his master in many ways. I guess it is true. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Rabbitlivinginverm
05-31-2005, 04:57 PM
It remains to be seen if you will ever win that watered down conference you are currently in.

Mavs#1

Watered down?
NDSU
Cal-Poly
UC-Davis
UNC

I'm sorry, you don't know much about football if you're calling those teams watered down.

JBB
05-31-2005, 05:57 PM
Yea, I didnt get that either. Watered down would mean having a lot of teams with most of them no competition, like DII right now. Lots of schools been coming in, none the caliber of those leaving for Division I.

The only problem with the GWFC is it is too concentrated, great teams but only 5 left.

jacksfaninne
05-31-2005, 06:59 PM
Our baseball program reminds me of your football program.

Maybe in your little fantasy ... But in the real world, UNO programs remind us all of, oh, maybe Augie. Same league. Same level. Same ambitions. Who wins the race between doggies and turtles? Who cares?

Mavericks#1
06-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Watered down?
NDSU
Cal-Poly
UC-Davis
UNC

I'm sorry, you don't know much about football if you're calling those teams watered down.

My question is what have these teams done in D1AA. Sure, some of these teams had success at D2 (except for you guys), but as we get reminded daily you are not in D2 anymore. So how can you say that these are great football teams when they have not proven themselves yet? UNC is a great example. Very good d2 team with a couple National titles but their last two years have been less than average at best. Until I see one of these teams get deep into the D1AA playoffs or the D1 JV playoffs as I call it, I will remain very skeptical if this football conference will be more than some overhyped former D2 schools.

Mavs #1

Rabbitlivinginverm
06-03-2005, 08:56 AM
My question is what have these teams done in D1AA. Sure, some of these teams had success at D2 (except for you guys), but as we get reminded daily you are not in D2 anymore. So how can you say that these are great football teams when they have not proven themselves yet? UNC is a great example. Very good d2 team with a couple National titles but their last two years have been less than average at best. Until I see one of these teams get deep into the D1AA playoffs or the D1 JV playoffs as I call it, I will remain very skeptical if this football conference will be more than some overhyped former D2 schools.

Mavs #1

Mav, UNC went 9-2 two years ago and was rated in the top 20 in 1aa. But I guess in your little world that's average. UC-Davis hasn't had a sub .500 year in 20 years. Cal poly 2003 7-4, 2004 9-2. SDSU: 2003 7-4; 2004 6-5. NDSU 8-3 last year, 8-3 the year before. THis conference is recognized in D1aa as one of the best there is.

GoJacks02
06-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Mavs #D2,

There's a fine line between inciting a crowd and making yourself sound stupid. And you have just crossed it.

Watered down conference? The Great West is rated the #2 conference in DI-AA. There was a point last season where there were FOUR of the six teams in the conference rated in the top 25 in I-AA, and STATE was one of them.

When the NCC was a powerhouse, it the initials proudly stood for North Central Conference. Now, though, NCC stands for Not Close to Competitive.

SiouxFallsJack
06-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Anyone know who won the NCC in football last year?

Anyone know who didn't make the football playoffs out of the NCC last year?

Anyone care?

I hate to feed the trolls but couldn't resist on this one.

Mavericks#1
06-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Mavs #D2,

There's a fine line between inciting a crowd and making yourself sound stupid. And you have just crossed it.

Watered down conference? The Great West is rated the #2 conference in DI-AA. There was a point last season where there were FOUR of the six teams in the conference rated in the top 25 in I-AA, and STATE was one of them.

When the NCC was a powerhouse, it the initials proudly stood for North Central Conference. Now, though, NCC stands for Not Close to Competitive.

Your bragging about being in the top 25 when there is only 39 teams!!! That sounds stupid to me. Next you will be trying to brag how you ended up in the top 5 of your conference when there is only 6 teams. How could your conference be ranked 2nd when not one team was involved in the playoffs. Probably the same people who do the silly BCS rankings. Anyway being ranked 2nd when there is only 6 conferences is nothing to write home about. Besides I could care less about rankings, remember I care about winning championships. Maybe your second place ranking might scare schools like Wisconsin Lacrosse and Mo. Rolla, but I am not fooled. By the way for SDSU fans the NCC will always stand for Never Could win Championship

Mavs #1

Rabbitlivinginverm
06-03-2005, 06:59 PM
Your bragging about being in the top 25 when there is only 39 teams!!! That sounds stupid to me. Next you will be trying to brag how you ended up in the top 5 of your conference when there is only 6 teams. How could your conference be ranked 2nd when not one team was involved in the playoffs. Probably the same people who do the silly BCS rankings. Anyway being ranked 2nd when there is only 6 conferences is nothing to write home about. Besides I could care less about rankings, remember I care about winning championships. Maybe your second place ranking might scare schools like Wisconsin Lacrosse and Mo. Rolla, but I am not fooled. By the way for SDSU fans the NCC will always stand for Never Could win Championship

Mavs #1

Yeah, we NEVER won any NCC championships.

SiouxFallsJack
06-03-2005, 09:14 PM
Actually there are 120 teams and 15 conferences that make up DI-AA football. I guess you've never used facts in the past why start now.

JBB
06-05-2005, 08:45 AM
What made the NCC great is now found in the GWFC. Whats left doesnt get the respect of the NSIC. Thats closer to the truth than calling the GWFC some overhyped former D2 schools.

SDSU is scheduling smart. They have 2 lower division teams (read modest guarantee) coming in. They will draw a nice crowd and give the Jacks some push to work against. They will also contrast nicely with Georgia Southern and the GWFC teams in educating fans how much better the good DI-AA teams are.

Its a common formula in DI-AA. NDSU has Arkansas Montecello coming up. Im glad we have the chance to play a good DII team before we travel to Northwest La. a top 10 DI-AA team this season.

Too bad none of the NCC schools will step up for a warmup game and a modest guarantee.