McKenna to return to Creighton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McKenna to return to Creighton

At the risk of giving our buds in Omaha the impression that somehow deep down we do really give a rip, looks someone at uno (soon to be formerly) thinks DI isn't such a bad place after all: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=...;u_sid=1449392
    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
    --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Re: McKenna to return to Creighton

This is a very intresting development. I thought McKenna was a very good coach and his NBA career did not seem to hurt him at all. It will be interesting to see who replaces him at UNO.

Comment

Wow, so Coach McKenna would rather be an assistant at a D-I University then a Head Coach at D-II UNO.  Kinda makes you think.  

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Hmmm. Not a word from the Omaha boys. (Sound of crickets...)

Comment

Mckenna makes about 85k a year at uno and will make according to the media types about 150k as the top asst to Altman. It has always been his goal to be a d1 coach and I say mid major on up. When you look around it takes someone about 10 years of winning consistently at the d2 level (ie - bruce pearl) to jump to d1 head coaching job. As an asst to Dana Altman and with CBA coaching experience and 6 years of playing exp. in the NBA he figures he will have an easier time jumping from Creighton to a head coaching job than from UNO. Also, Creighton is projected to have the best team since Altman arrived during the next few years which should help mckenna. So we lost a coach to a top 40 bb school (and higher this year) - nothing to be ashamed of there.
          I would have been concerned if he left for a umkc or ndsu asst job but he didn't do that. In fact there were some low level d1 jobs that he was asked about the last few years and he said he wasn't interested.
          He has publicly said that his current job is better than many low level d1 head jobs but I can't blame him for wanting to go back to his alma mater. That seems to be a big theme on this site, also.
          Next UNO head coach will probably be Creighton Alum Todd Eisner who currently coaches Bellevue Univ (Naia)

Comment

Working...
          X