Rivalry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivalry

While traveling through South Eastern South Dakota last Wednesday I was listening to Lane Grindle on a.m. 1570.  I believe Lane is a former USD track athlete who does a lot for USD related activities for the station (who hates SDSU).  Whenever I travel through that area I try to catch his show and it seems he always mentions SDSU (and usually his distaste for Chris Solari).  On Wednesday he had good reason to be talking about SDSU and our inking Kentucky for our season opener.  He discussed how an SDSU fan would "spin" this opportunity, how he sees it, and how an SDSU "hater" would spin it.  Not suprisingly his spin and the SDSU "hater" sounded remarkably similar.  He ended the SDSU "hater's" spin by saying "we'll see you in 10 years when we have to go D1" which I got a laugh out of.  

He went on to argue that the rivalry between SDSU and USD is even more of a rivalry now that we don't play each other so it can't be settled on the field.  What do you all think?  Is the rivalry now more intense than it ever was in the past?  My opinion is that there is no more rivalry with usd, unless we play them again (usd will have to come to Brookings for that to happen).

Lane also said he checks out the board quite often so maybe he'll jump in and give his reasons as well.

Re: Rivalry

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...y&va=rival

Rival:
    1 a : one of two or more striving to reach or obtain something that only one can possess b : one striving for competitive advantage
    2 obsolete : COMPANION, ASSOCIATE
    3 : one that equals another in desired qualities : PEER

Rivalry:: the act of rivaling : the state of being a rival : COMPETITION

Are SDSU and USD striving for the same athletic goal? No. Are they peers athletically? No.

Some may not have noticed, but SDSU is in the process of classifying to NCAA Division I while USD has remained in D-II.

There may be a rivalry generally between the institutions, but there is not and can not (by definition, above) be an "athletic" rivalry between USD and SDSU.

Alabama and Kentucky are more SDSU's rivals now than USD is. This may be hard for Coyote fans to swallow, but they are as significant to SDSU's athletic reality today as are the Wolves, the Yellowjackets, the Trojans, and the Hardrockers--they're just another state school in South Dakota playing small-college athletics.

If USD moves up, the rivalry will re-ignite. But it's definitely in hibernation until that occurs. From here on out, any USD victory over an SDSU team will be an upset. ANY victory. The reaction of SDSU fans won't be anger (as in a rivalry) but horror that we got beat by a lower division school. That's not a rivalry. That's just the difference between D-I and D-II.

I realize that SDSU looks to Alabama and Kentucky a lot like what I'm saying USD looks like to SDSU. That's reality, too. We're starting at the bottom of a tall hill. But we're no longer in the valley where USD lives.

How close did I get to Lane's "SDSU fan" spin?
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

It is my belief to have a rivalry you have to play the team you consider to be a rival. Sure, a war of words helps to fuel the anticipation and intensity of the event to come. Unfortunately if you don't play all you are doing is blowing hot air.

We did give usd the opportunity to continue playing but they turned us down. Once usd can get over their bitterness of SDSU leaving them behind in the NCC, maybe games can once more be scheduled. However, unless usd makes the move to DI, I don't see games being played again. It would serve no purpose to humiliate another institution in SD even if it was usd.

Well, one last time wouldn't hurt. ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
        While traveling through South Eastern South Dakota last Wednesday I was listening to Lane Grindle on a.m. 1570.  I believe Lane is a former USD track athlete who does a lot for USD related activities for the station (who hates SDSU).  Whenever I travel through that area I try to catch his show and it seems he always mentions SDSU (and usually his distaste for Chris Solari).  On Wednesday he had good reason to be talking about SDSU and our inking Kentucky for our season opener.  He discussed how an SDSU fan would "spin" this opportunity, how he sees it, and how an SDSU "hater" would spin it.  Not suprisingly his spin and the SDSU "hater" sounded remarkably similar.  He ended the SDSU "hater's" spin by saying "we'll see you in 10 years when we have to go D1" which I got a laugh out of.  

He went on to argue that the rivalry between SDSU and USD is even more of a rivalry now that we don't play each other so it can't be settled on the field.  What do you all think?  Is the rivalry now more intense than it ever was in the past?  My opinion is that there is no more rivalry with usd, unless we play them again (usd will have to come to Brookings for that to happen).

Lane also said he checks out the board quite often so maybe he'll jump in and give his reasons as well.
        I have also listened whenever in listening range of 1570 in Vermillion. Its a small station so this guy does not go very far in terms of area. I had no idea of his background and thanks for filling me in on that. USD being forced to go D1?  That is awfully stated.  USD seems to always find themselves being forced to take certain actions such as going to the BOR and legislature for the Dakota Dome roof and more recently the Medical building.  Where is Brokaw, Neutharth and others when they really need them? Say what you want about the Kentucky game, SDSU has one on the schedule and USD does not even have Kentucky Weslyn on their schedule.

I would like to see USD do something progressive for once and do it because they were not forced to do it. ;D ;D

Comment

There is a series of good articles in the Fargo Forum today on the effect of NDSU and SDSU moving up on the athletic scene accross SD, ND, and MN. See the links below. (The first is to the Forum front page where the articles are highlighted and the the other three to the actual articles.)

http://www.in-forum.com

http://www.bisonzone.com/index.cfm?p...l&id=97889

http://www.bisonzone.com/index.cfm?p...l&id=97889

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...890§ion=Sports

Comment

Wow, why does this "track guy" from San Diego hate us so much.  I really don't remember having much of a rivalry with the Toreros .  .  . Oh wait are you guys talking about the D-II school down in Vermin, SD .  .  . oh, my bad.  Maybe in the future we should refer to the Coyotes as USD-II so that we don't get them confused with the USD that plays D-I sports with us.    ;D

University of San Diego athletics site:

http://usdtoreros.collegesports.com/

Seriously, I am sure the University of Ohio thinks they have a rivalry with Ohio State, but the question is does Ohio State think they have a rivalry with the University of Ohio.  I don't think so.  Does Nebraska think that UNO (the one in Omaha, not New Orleans) is it's rival?  Again, I don't think so.  I already find myself hopeing that USD does well as they represent our great state of South Dakota.  I have also meet several USD fans who feel the same about our Jackrabbits.  Doesn't sound like much of a Rivalry any more.  If USD-II ever made the jump to D-I then maybe they could be our rival again, but until then the only way for them to capture some of our glory is to pretend that there is still a special connection between their school and South Dakota's largest and only D-I University!  My guess, 10 years from now folks in Vermillion will tell their kids how USD used to play in the same conference as SDSU and their kids will look at them in disbelief and say "no way, that must have been cool" and the USD adult will say "yup the Jackrabbits used to play right over there in that big Grain Bin that used to be a football field" to which the child will reply "cool".   8)

Go State!  ;D

Comment

89 Rabbitt

Does Nebraska think that UNO (the one in Omaha, not New Orleans) is it's rival?  

A UNO reference. I am impressed. Thanks for the love. I think you are finally starting to come around.  I bet if we checked your closet amid all the rabbitt gear we would find a Maverick T- shirt that you wear when nobody is around. Isn't about time that you outed yourself as the closet UNO fan that you are?

Mavs #1

Comment

If USD does move up in 10 years, they will simply be 10 years behind SDSU. By then, recruits will barely remember that SDSU used to be a D-II team. D-II teams just aren't rivals of D-I teams. In a few years, USD fans will probably also be following SDSU sports, just like students at any other D-II school follow D-I sports anywhere else in the country.

Comment

89, I don't think jk rowling has anything to fear but I do think you could have a future in fictional writing if you choose to change careers. You have a very active imagination. Great story about the usd-sdsu rivalry that used to be.

Comment

There is that phrase "have to" again.  Both UNO and USD fans want to move to D-I so bad it hurts.  Oh sure you had your laughs during our first season with so many lower D-II and NAIA games on our schedules but then came year two with Kentucky, Ill., Minnesota, Nebraska, and Sweet 16 UW-Milwaukee coming to Brookings.  The Women have the Crimson Tide of Alabama coming to Frost this season and the USC Trojans coming next and now it is not so funny.  So all they can do is pray that we fail or hope that someone "makes them" go D-I.  After all you need a way to save face after all the garbage they have put out there about the move to D-I.  

Hate to tell you, but going D-I is hard, the good news for us is that SDSU is up to the task.  No one is going to "make" either of you move up.  You and your administrations will need to want it and then work hard to put all the pieces in place.  I really doubt that either school is up to the task.

USD can't handle the D-II program they have (Title IX issues and funding issues) and UNO will always be the third team in Nebraska (at best) and the second class school in your own town.

But you guys keep watching, and waiting, I am sure the D-I fairy will swope down and tounch each of your schools with her magic wand and you will be transformed into D-I schools.  Even though you really don't want to leave the paradise that D-II is becomings.  :

UNO and USD Wish List:  Please make us big and strong so we can be D-I just like South Dakota State University, but tell everyone that you "made us" move to D-I so we don't look stupid.

Go State!  ;D

*Note while typing a response to Big Jakes latest rantings he changed his post.  He originally commented on my writting prowess, gave us a UMKC reference (thank goodness because it had been months since he did that) and went on to say that UNO would have to move up to D-I someday and how even if it was in 10 years from now they would be in better shape then us because they are in the mighty metropolis of Omaha.  :  What no conviction in the nonsense that you had just typed?   

Comment

For USD not being our rivals we sure do spend a lot of time talking about them. Do you think University of Nebraska fans spend this much time talking about UNO? If we really don't care about USD anymore then why do they so often seem to be the topic of conversation.

Comment

Oh, I am pretty sure that if some clown got on the radio and started talking about how UNO and Nebraska are rivals there would be a pretty good chance that Cornhusker fans would be laughing at him on their board much the way we are here.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by SDsportsFan
                          For USD not being our rivals we sure do spend a lot of time talking about them. Do you think University of Nebraska fans spend this much time talking about UNO? If we really don't care about USD anymore then why do they so often seem to be the topic of conversation.
                          Because our friends from Nebraska keep wanting to bring them up.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                            There is that phrase "have to" again.  Both UNO and USD fans want to move to D-I so bad it hurts.  Oh sure you had your laughs during our first season with so many lower D-II and NAIA games on our schedules but then came year two with Kentucky, Ill., Minnesota, Nebraska, and Sweet 16 UW-Milwaukee coming to Brookings.  The Women have the Crimson Tide of Alabama coming to Frost this season and the USC Trojans coming next and now it is not so funny.  So all they can do is pray that we fail or hope that someone "makes them" go D-I.  After all you need a way to save face after all the garbage they have put out there about the move to D-I.  

Hate to tell you, but going D-I is hard, the good news for us is that SDSU is up to the task.  No one is going to "make" either of you move up.  You and your administrations will need to want it and then work hard to put all the pieces in place.  I really doubt that either school is up to the task.

USD can't handle the D-II program they have (Title IX issues and funding issues) and UNO will always be the third team in Nebraska (at best) and the second class school in your own town.

But you guys keep watching, and waiting, I am sure the D-I fairy will swope down and tounch each of your schools with her magic wand and you will be transformed into D-I schools.  Even though you really don't want to leave the paradise that D-II is becomings.  :

UNO and USD Wish List:  Please make us big and strong so we can be D-I just like South Dakota State University, but tell everyone that you "made us" move to D-I so we don't look stupid.

Go State!  ;D

*Note while typing a response to Big Jakes latest rantings he changed his post.  He originally commented on my writting prowess, gave us a UMKC reference (thank goodness because it had been months since he did that) and went on to say that UNO would have to move up to D-I  someday and how even if it was in 10 years from now they would be in better shape then us because they are in the mighty metropolis of Omaha.  :  What no conviction in the nonsense that you had just typed?   
                            All smack talking aside, 89 just hit the nail on the head. I'm sure Jake and Mav will try to argue against his above statement, but it would have to be a pretty good argument to disuade anyone that 89 is right. There's no bias in stating the obvious. The casual sports fan is going to have their interest perked when they see names like Kentucky and USC. Whether we win or lose.

My boss' kid is ranked in the top 250 basketball players in the US for upcoming seniors. When I printed him off a copy of the announcement that we're playing Kentucky and Illinois next year, my boss was legitimately excited. In his opinion, would he rather have his kid play for a UWMilwaukee or Butler who will play their conference schedules and other similarly ranked teams or would he rather have his kid play for SDSU and go up against the best of the best?

Most college athletes are going to end up like me pushing papers when they finish their collegiate athletic careers. Would you rather look back and remember how you played against Kentucky or University of Maine? That's a serious recruiting tool for players and fans alike. I'm proud of our athletic department for scheduling the teams they are. I can't wait to go to Kentucky, grab my two brother's-in-law and go to the Rupp arena to see the Jacks play!
                            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum

My boss' kid is ranked in the top 250 basketball players in the US for upcoming seniors.  When I printed him off a copy of the announcement that we're playing Kentucky and Illinois next year, my boss was legitimately excited.  In his opinion, would he rather have his kid play for a UWMilwaukee or Butler who will play their conference schedules and other similarly ranked teams or would he rather have his kid play for SDSU and go up against the best of the best?  

Milwaukee-
                              Make sure he has Coach Nagy's phone number and vice versa as well
                              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Working...
                              X