PDA

View Full Version : Best of South Dakota???

Mavericks#1
07-15-2005, 09:35 AM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/fiftyfifty/polling?event_id=1454

Been awhile since I ran some smack but when I saw this poll and results I had to share some of the interesting results with you.

1. When 860 South Dakotan's and me were asked their favorite sports venue in South Dakota over 50% responded with the Dakota Dome. What happended to your hallowed Frost Arena and your high school football stadium? The results of this poll were not even close. Those of you with blinders on are always making fun of the Dome when it is clear most people love it.

2. When over 860 South Dakotan's were asked for their favorite sport team they responded with South Dakota Football? ? ? I could have sworn that you were the school that went D1. Maybe I was wrong. The people of South Dakota apparently don't give a rats behind that you went D1. Give them their Coyote's!!

3. I find it very funny that one of the state most famous athletes was Mandy Koupal, who dissed SDSU in favor of USD. We all know who Mandy thinks is the better University and it is not the school who went limping into D1.

4. When asked the last question if I had ever been to South Dakota I painfully had to check yes. But then I remembered that the last time I was there was to watch my Maverick basketball team end your long home winning streak and then a big smile came across my face. Although after seeing that Morningside pounded you at home it has made that win a little less special.

In closing, this poll proves what Big Jake has always said that the handful of fanatic SDSU fans on this site are in the minority and that most South Dakotan's could give a rip about SDSU and their move to D1. You thought that by going D1 could get you out of USD's shadow but it is clear that this has not happened. The people of South Dakota have spoken and it is clear that they feel that you will always be the stepsister of USD.

Mavs #1

filbert
07-15-2005, 09:44 AM
Hmm. Buzzing. Must be a mosquito. Didn't think they could get into the Internet, but go figure.

OK_Jackrabbit
07-15-2005, 09:52 AM

Been awhile since I ran some smack but when I saw this poll and results I had to share some of the interesting results with you.

1. When 860 South Dakotan's and me were asked their favorite sports venue in South Dakota over 50% responded with the Dakota Dome. What happended to your hallowed Frost Arena and your high school football stadium? The results of this poll were not even close. Those of you with blinders on are always making fun of the Dome when it is clear most people love it.

2. When over 860 South Dakotan's were asked for their favorite sport team they responded with South Dakota Football? ? ? I could have sworn that you were the school that went D1. Maybe I was wrong. The people of South Dakota apparently don't give a rats behind that you went D1. Give them their Coyote's!!

3. I find it very funny that one of the state most famous athletes was Mandy Koupal, who dissed SDSU in favor of USD. We all know who Mandy thinks is the better University and it is not the school who went limping into D1.

4. When asked the last question if I had ever been to South Dakota I painfully had to check yes. But then I remembered that the last time I was there was to watch my Maverick basketball team end your long home winning streak and then a big smile came across my face. Although after seeing that Morningside pounded you at home it has made that win a little less special.

In closing, this poll proves what Big Jake has always said that the handful of fanatic SDSU fans on this site are in the minority and that most South Dakotan's could give a rip about SDSU and their move to D1. You thought that by going D1 could get you out of USD's shadow but it is clear that this has not happened. The people of South Dakota have spoken and it is clear that they feel that you will always be the stepsister of USD.

Mavs #1

Quick lesson here Mavs: There's a difference between a scientific survey and an online poll.

Nobody was "asked" anything. Every one of those respondents was self-selected, visited that site, and voted online. You're suggesting that this is some kind of representative survey when you say "860 South Dakotans were asked" something and then cite a percentage. It's an online questionnaire. There is nothing representative about it. It is not a scientific survey of public opinion. Nobody can make any broad generalizations about attitudes or awareness based on a self-selected online questionnaire.

Of course that's what you have done. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that you don't know what you're talking about.

By the way, the voting isn't over yet. And how is UNO doing in the Nebraska voting? Oh, sorry. UNO didn't even make it into any of the questions.

jackmd
07-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Mav,

You are really slipping, grasping at straws as the say. You gotta do better than this.

Mavericks#1
07-16-2005, 08:13 PM
Quick lesson here Mavs: There's a difference between a scientific survey and an online poll.

Nobody was "asked" anything. Every one of those respondents was self-selected, visited that site, and voted online. You're suggesting that this is some kind of representative survey when you say "860 South Dakotans were asked" something and then cite a percentage. It's an online questionnaire. There is nothing representative about it. It is not a scientific survey of public opinion. Nobody can make any broad generalizations about attitudes or awareness based on a self-selected online questionnaire.

Of course that's what you have done. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that you don't know what you're talking about.

By the way, the voting isn't over yet. And how is UNO doing in the Nebraska voting? Oh, sorry. UNO didn't even make it into any of the questions.

Ok Jackrabbitt

I understand that this wasn't a Multi-Center Double Blind Placebo controlled trial. But here is why I think it carries some relevance.

1. This poll was posted on ESPN.com so I don't think I am taken much of a leap of faith to say that these 860 people are big sports fans or why would they be on Espn.com. I think it would be safe to say that Mr. Geeky non-sports fan (JBNJBQ) doesn't spend much time on this site. Who better to ask their opinion that sports crazed fans who live on these sports websites. These are the people that I like to hear the opinions of.

2. I am not saying that all of the 860 people that participated in this poll are from South Dakota. But I don't think I am going out on a limb saying that most either are from South Dakota or lived their at one time. Why else would they take the time to fill out the poll? I don't imagine that I will go to Rhode Island's poll and spend the time to fill it out when I know nothing about the sports culture there.

3. You can poke holes anytime data is collected especially when the results are not going your way. If you do make a comeback in this poll I could make the arguement that you guys just called all your in- bred relatives begging them to fill out the poll. Some of you computer nerds will probably figure out a way to fill out the survey as many times as you want.

My main point is that there is not the huge support out there for SDSU that many of you dream about. The poll is pretty clear on that. You will have to get used to the fact that a D2 school is still driving the bus and you are just a helpless passenger on that bus.

Mavs#1

P.S Creighton didn't make the Nebraska poll either so I don't feel too bad and I would rather not have my only schools memory be of some dude hitting a half court in 1960 to win a game.

SDSUFAN
07-16-2005, 08:36 PM
What is neat about this poll is that you can vote more then once. I voted twice today, and if I have time will vote maybe 4 times tomorrow and 8 on the next day and maybe 16 the next. Progresssional voting, its great maybe Karl Rove will put this type of voting to use in 2006.

jacksfaninne
07-16-2005, 09:35 PM
When are you going to update us Mavs DII? Your original post is worthless. More than 1,900 have now voted, so theoretically we now have a better sampling of how voters feel. Your girlfriend Mandy K. now ranks just above how anything uno ranks in Nebraska. BTW, need I remind you again that anytime you or anyone from uno dogs another school's facilities, you instantly lose whatever shred of credibility you may have thought you had.

Mavericks#1
07-17-2005, 07:12 PM
Of course the numbers started back in your favor once you saw the numbers were bad. The ten fanatics on this board blew their whole weekend refilling out the poll over and over again. We all know what the numbers were before you guys skewed them. Before you bag on our facilities remember that our hockey arena, the Qwest Center, makes Frost Arena look like a YMCA gym. Now getting back to being USD's b*tch! ;D ;D ;D.

Mavs#1

JBNJBQ, thanks for sparing us from your humorless picture smack lately. Although you might want to private message SDSU fan with it. For some reason he thinks it is funny.

water
07-17-2005, 07:21 PM
I read an article in the Argus yesterday about events at USD and SDSU - each of whom host many events during the summer. USD was hosting a seminar for trial lawyers wishing to hone their skills. SDSU was hosting a sausage making semiar.
I guess each school has its mission in the state.

jacksfaninne
07-17-2005, 08:03 PM
our hockey arena, the Qwest Center
CORRECTION: Creighton's basketball arena, the Qwest Center

It's the only decent facility uno plays in, you RENT it, and you still try to claim it as yours. Now that's something to be proud of. BTW, word is the YMCA turned down Sapp Fieldhouse because it couldn't meet Y standards.

89rabbit
07-18-2005, 06:07 AM
Mav #D-II,

So let me get this straight, when the ESPN poll had 860 responses and you liked the results it was infallible and was driven by "pure" sports fans. Now that the poll has 3,774 responses and you don't like the results, it is because the poll was compromised by 10 guys "who gave up their weekends" to make sure SDSU won . . . riiiiight. ::) Just wanted to make sure I fully understood what passes for logic in your world. Just so you know I took my family camping this weekend. :D

Go State! ;D

P.S. Creighton is mentioned in the Nebraska poll, but UNO is not.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/fiftyfifty/polling?event_id=1442

Look under question #2 "Most memorable moment in College World Series history (played in Omaha)?" The forth choice down is "Wichita State beats crowd favorite Creighton in 12 innings, with tying run thrown out at home (1991)"

Mavericks#1
07-18-2005, 06:30 AM
CORRECTION: Creighton's basketball arena, the Qwest Center

It's the only decent facility uno plays in, you RENT it, and you still try to claim it as yours. Now that's something to be proud of. BTW, word is the YMCA turned down Sapp Fieldhouse because it couldn't meet Y standards.

Do you really think that our student athletes, fans and most importantly recruits care if the building is rented? We are playing in a building that is hosting a D1 Championship (2006 Womens Volleyball). I doubt that Frost Arena will ever host a D1 national championship, let alone a conference championship (if you ever get in one).

Mavs #1

SDSUFAN
07-18-2005, 06:44 AM
Yes they do care if its rented, but they also turn and run from Sapp Field House that houses the faded and dusty championship banners. Sometimes the dust coming off the faded banners is overcoming and they need CPR. A handy item for visiting Student athletes would be a gas mask issued as they enter Sapp Field House. ;D ;D

As stated Quest is for hockey and no other UNO sports, so most SA visit Omaha and leave without visiting Quest. Why they bother? ???

Mavericks#1
07-18-2005, 11:01 AM
Do you rent that soccer pitch in the city park? I am sure Creighton's women's soccer team is going to love leaving their multi million dollar soccer facility to play in a city park. Many of the kids probably played club soccer on nicer fields than that. I am sure the football coaches love sitting in that trailer on stilts you call a press box. One good wind and that thing will be tumbling down I-29. Maybe they can rent that thing out in the winter to help defray some of your costs in going D1. People in glass houses...

Mavs#1

89rabbit
07-18-2005, 11:16 AM
OK, let's start with a correction of fact. The Fishback Soccer Park is a soccer complex. Not a city park. There are no playgrounds, grills, swimming pools, etc. There are many soccer fields including a main compition field that is the home of SDSU Women's Soccer. If you plan on taking your family there for a picnic before you watch the Jackrabbits beat the Bluejays you will be disappointed. Just trying to be helpful, I wouldn't want your next trip to Brookings to be anything but pleasant, except for the outcome of the game of course.

Here is a little more info for you on the soccer complex:

http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary/Page/Information/DataInstances/11143/Files/28546/Soccer_Media_Guide_2003.pdf

Fishback
Soccer Park.

The 10-field complex covers nearly 80
acres and includes a stadium venue, which
features 500 permanent seats and can be
expanded to seat an estimated 1,500 spectators.
The lighted stadium field will serve
as home field for the SDSU women’s soccer
team.
“The opportunity to have a solidified
soccer-only stadium for our home games
will put us on par with some of the top
programs nationally,” SDSU head coach
Lang Wedemeyer said.
Land for the complex, which is located at
the intersection of Medary Avenue and 20th
Street South, was donated by the Fishback
family of Brookings, representatives of First
National Bank of Brookings. . .

The estimated $1 million project is a
collaborative effort between the City of
Brookings, SDSU, the Brookings Soccer
Association and private citizens. SDSU’s
portion of the cost will go toward lighting at
the stadium field.
The largest portion of the funding will
come from the city’s second-penny sales tax
revenue. A $75,000 grant from the United
States Soccer Foundation to pay for such
items as irrigation and soccer goals also
was secured. . . .

How much money did UNO chip in for the Quest Center?

Go State! ;D

Bison_Dan
07-18-2005, 11:21 AM
I read an article in the Argus yesterday about events at USD and SDSU - each of whom host many events during the summer. USD was hosting a seminar for trial lawyers wishing to hone their skills. SDSU was hosting a sausage making semiar.
I guess each school has its mission in the state.

I hope they handed the lawyers a revolver and let them practice Russian Roulette! ;D ;D

jacksfaninne
07-18-2005, 10:18 PM
People in glass houses...
Thank you for finally getting my point. Next time you or anyone else from uno who wants to dog somebody else's facilities, go find an NAIA board or maybe one for the Omaha Public Schools. 'Course, if they've ever visited uno, they'll probably laugh you off their board too.

Rabbitlivinginverm
07-19-2005, 06:09 PM
When did USD football become more popular among usd fans than basketball?

From the poll at 8:10 pm; 7,062 votes

4) Favorite state team?

29.4% Univ. of South Dakota (football)

29.0% South Dakota State (basketball)

27.8% South Dakota State (football)

7.9% Sioux Falls Skyforce (basketball)

5.8% Univ. of South Dakota (basketball)

JBNJBQ
07-20-2005, 04:36 AM
Has anybody wondered yet where ESPN got the questions for it's "POLL"? I am sure they called someone from each state for some help. It obviously wasn't an SDSU fan? It looks like our friends at the Argus had a hand in it. Who else gives a rip about the Skyforce?

jackmd
07-20-2005, 07:25 AM
When did USD football become more popular among usd fans than basketball?

From the poll at 8:10 pm; 7,062 votes

4) Favorite state team?

29.4% Univ. of South Dakota (football)

29.0% South Dakota State (basketball)

27.8% South Dakota State (football)

7.9% Sioux Falls Skyforce (basketball)

5.8% Univ. of South Dakota (basketball)

1) Most memorable sports moment?

29.0% South Dakota State wins NCAA Div. II basketball title on Sid Bostic's 40-foot shot (1963)

25.4% Adam Vinatieri kicks game-winning field goal vs. Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI (2002)

16.5% Adam Vinatieri kicks game-winning field goal vs. Panthers in Super Bowl XXXVIII (2004)

14.2% Univ. of South Dakota wins NCAA Div. II basketball title (1958)

8.5% Billy Mills wins gold in 10,000-meter race at Olympics (1964)

2.5% Josh Heupel leads Oklahoma Univ. to win in Orange Bowl and national title (2001)

2.2% Orlando Magic select Mike Miller with fifth overall pick in NBA draft (2000)

1.4% Carrol Hardy pinch hits for Ted Williams, only player ever to do so (1960)

2) Favorite sport?

57.1% Basketball

27.3% Football

5.9% Baseball

2.5% Rodeo

2.3% Hockey

2.2% Auto racing

1.0% Fishing

0.9% Golf

0.7% Soccer

4) Favorite state team?

41.2% South Dakota State (basketball)

26.7% South Dakota State (football)

22.6% Univ. of South Dakota (football)

5.5% Sioux Falls Skyforce (basketball)

4.1% Univ. of South Dakota (basketball)

5) Best rivalry?

61.9% South Dakota State vs. North Dakota State (football)

34.7% Univ. of South Dakota vs. South Dakota State (football)

3.3% Sioux Falls Skyforce vs. Dakota Wizards (basketball)

6) Best homegrown product?

32.4% Billy Mills (track and field)

16.7% Sparky Anderson (coaching)

16.6% Mike Miller (basketball)

14.9% Mandy Koupal (basketball)

6.9% Casey Tibbs (rodeo)

3.7% Becky Hammon (basketball)

3.0% Josh Heupel (football)

2.0% Frank Leahy (coaching)

1.7% Garney Henley (football)

1.4% Dave Collins (baseball)

0.4% Derek Miles (track and field)

0.2% Jack Maders (football)

7) Best in-state college or pro career?

53.5% Adam Vinatieri, South Dakota State

20.0% Adam Timmerman, South Dakota State

17.0% Mandy Koupal, Univ. of South Dakota

4.6% Lyle Alzado, Yankton College

4.0% Jim Langer, South Dakota State

0.9% Derek Miles, Univ. of South Dakota

9) Best place to watch an event?

53.1% Frost Arena (South Dakota St. basketball)

30.2% DakotaDome (Univ. of South Dakota football)

16.7% Coughlin Alumni Arena (South Dakota St. football)

10) Have you been to South Dakota?

92.9% Yes

7.1% No

Total Votes: 10,447

filbert
07-20-2005, 08:27 AM
Has anybody wondered yet where ESPN got the questions for it's "POLL"? I am sure they called someone from each state for some help. It obviously wasn't an SDSU fan? It looks like our friends at the Argus had a hand in it. Who else gives a rip about the Skyforce?

Apparently more people than care about USD Basketball.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
07-20-2005, 09:05 AM
where's the love for Jim Langer? Last time I checked, he was a hall of fame football player who doesn't have the stigma as "the poster-guy for what long-term steroid use" hanging over his head like Alzado. Langer? Jim Langer? Pretty hard to look at his stats and not argue he hasn't had the best career as a pro and/or college athlete.

OK_Jackrabbit
07-20-2005, 09:27 AM
where's the love for Jim Langer? Last time I checked, he was a hall of fame football player who doesn't have the stigma as "the poster-guy for what long-term steroid use" hanging over his head like Alzado. Langer? Jim Langer? Pretty hard to look at his stats and not argue he hasn't had the best career as a pro and/or college athlete.
Agreed. I put in a Langer vote or two.

jackmd
07-20-2005, 11:43 AM

Still a hall-of-famer and always with be. There is a fair bit of ignorance reflected in the results of this poll. Still fun too watch, though.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
07-20-2005, 02:24 PM
There is a fair bit of ignorance reflected in the results of this poll.

That was obvious with Cheryl Ladd's poor showing.

jackmd
07-21-2005, 07:12 AM
Jackrabbit FB needs a few votes. Lets help them out.

4) Favorite state team?

42.4% South Dakota State (basketball)

21.4% Univ. of South Dakota (football)

19.0% South Dakota State (football)

12.6% Sioux Falls Skyforce (basketball)

4.7% Univ. of South Dakota (basketball)

filbert
07-21-2005, 08:37 AM
Hm. Deprived of the sheer joy of throwing jackrabbits on their court any more, and unable to devise a way to smuggle dead/frozen nordic warriors, wild cattle, pet canines of British or of Alaskan persuasion, or First Americans into the game, USD basketball fans are in a deep, deep funk...

89rabbit
07-21-2005, 08:42 AM
Hm. Deprived of the sheer joy of throwing jackrabbits on their court any more, and unable to devise a way to smuggle dead/frozen nordic warriors, wild cattle, pet canines of British or of Alaskan persuasion, or First Americans into the game, USD basketball fans are in a deep, deep funk...

That is funny! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Go State! ;D

jackmd
07-21-2005, 12:04 PM
This looks better. Now lets work on Coughlin. Anyone with any sense knows its a better place for FB than the dome.

4) Favorite state team?

41.1% South Dakota State (basketball)

22.3% South Dakota State (football)

20.7% Univ. of South Dakota (football)

10.9% Sioux Falls Skyforce (basketball)

5.1% Univ. of South Dakota (basketball)

54.9% Frost Arena (South Dakota St. basketball)

31.6% DakotaDome (Univ. of South Dakota football)

13.5% Coughlin Alumni Arena (South Dakota St. football)

jackmd
07-22-2005, 06:31 AM
A good day today and things should be in the proper order.

47.9% Frost Arena (South Dakota St. basketball)

27.2% DakotaDome (Univ. of South Dakota football)

25.0% Coughlin Alumni Arena (South Dakota St. football)

SDsportsFan
07-22-2005, 06:34 AM
Jackrabbit FB needs a few votes. Lets help them out.

4) Favorite state team?

42.4% South Dakota State (basketball)

21.4% Univ. of South Dakota (football)

19.0% South Dakota State (football)

12.6% Sioux Falls Skyforce (basketball)

4.7% Univ. of South Dakota (basketball)

I feel I have done my part. I have probably submitted close to 1,000 votes for various SDSU things, in order to push them to the top. I was proud and embarrassed at the same time.

89rabbit
07-22-2005, 06:59 AM
SDsportsFan, all I can say is WOW! :o The good news is that your efforts are paying off.

4) Favorite state team?

41.3% South Dakota State (basketball)

27.4% South Dakota State (football)

17.5% Univ. of South Dakota (football)

9.2% Sioux Falls Skyforce (basketball)

4.6% Univ. of South Dakota (basketball)

5) Best rivalry?

65.1% South Dakota State vs. North Dakota State (football)

26.9% Univ. of South Dakota vs. South Dakota State (football)

8.0% Sioux Falls Skyforce vs. Dakota Wizards (basketball)

33.1% Adam Vinatieri, South Dakota State

21.9% Jim Langer, South Dakota State

19.2% Adam Timmerman, South Dakota State

16.2% Mandy Koupal, Univ. of South Dakota

6.7% Derek Miles, Univ. of South Dakota

2.8% Lyle Alzado, Yankton College

Total Votes: 23,088

Go State! ;D

Mavericks#1
07-22-2005, 08:39 AM
SDsportsFan, all I can say is WOW! :o The good news is that your efforts are paying off.

4) Favorite state team?

41.3% South Dakota State (basketball)

27.4% South Dakota State (football)

17.5% Univ. of South Dakota (football)

9.2% Sioux Falls Skyforce (basketball)

5) Best rivalry?

65.1% South Dakota State vs. North Dakota State (football)

26.9% Univ. of South Dakota vs. South Dakota State (football)

8.0% Sioux Falls Skyforce vs. Dakota Wizards (basketball)

33.1% Adam Vinatieri, South Dakota State

21.9% Jim Langer, South Dakota State

19.2% Adam Timmerman, South Dakota State

16.2% Mandy Koupal, Univ. of South Dakota

6.7% Derek Miles, Univ. of South Dakota

Total Votes: 23,088

Go State! ;D

If this dude did 1,000 votes I imagine some of you other people are probably approaching 5,000 votes. Way to skew the numbers. I wish I would have never brought it up.

Mavs #1

OK_Jackrabbit
07-22-2005, 09:18 AM
If this dude did 1,000 votes I imagine some of you other people are probably approaching 5,000 votes. Way to skew the numbers. I wish I would have never brought it up.

Mavs #1
Apparently Mavs has figured out this isn't a scientific poll, something his initial post was more than a bit hazy about.

Really, ESPN should have put an IP limit on the survey to get a more realistic picture of things, allowing people to vote once. But they didn't.

By the way, I don't get the impression that ESPN is basing their 50/50 stories on these online results, since they're coming to SoDak on August 10 and probably have their coverage already planned. I watched their coverage of Alaska yesterday, and it was just a jumble of stock footage, inane statistics, and ridiculous stereotypes hosted by Steve Levy who was on site in Anchorage. It was, to say the least, not very impressive and reminded me of most instances when the coastal, self-referential mainstream media ventures into the hinterlands.

Quick example: In 1992, I covered SD presidential primary (it was early that year, before Iowa). I'm on the airport pay phone with my editor when Ju Ju Chang, an ABC producer starts talking on the next one over. She's explaining what footage they had: "We got Harkin with some cows (they were steers, at the stockyard), you know, something really South Dakota-ish." That same week, the New York Times filed literally every story about the primary under the dateline: Sioux City, South Dakota. Impressive.

So I have pretty low expectations when these New York (or in this case Connecticut) dopes venture more than 15 feet away from their capuccino machines and their precious New York Yankees.

jackmd
07-22-2005, 09:45 AM
I was under the impression that the move to DI and more significantly the future of SDSU as an institution hinged on the results of this poll!!! My understanding is that either the Daktodome or CAS and more importantly the coyotes of Jacks will exist after the Sportscenter visit but not both!!! If we don't win this poll we could lose our school. This is serious.

jackrabbit1979
07-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Apparently Mavs has figured out this isn't a scientific poll, something his initial post was more than a bit hazy about.

Really, ESPN should have put an IP limit on the survey to get a more realistic picture of things, allowing people to vote once. But they didn't.

By the way, I don't get the impression that ESPN is basing their 50/50 stories on these online results, since they're coming to SoDak on August 10 and probably have their coverage already planned. I watched their coverage of Alaska yesterday, and it was just a jumble of stock footage, inane statistics, and ridiculous stereotypes hosted by Steve Levy who was on site in Anchorage. It was, to say the least, not very impressive and reminded me of most instances when the coastal, self-referential mainstream media ventures into the hinterlands.

Quick example: In 1992, I covered SD presidential primary (it was early that year, before Iowa). I'm on the airport pay phone with my editor when Ju Ju Chang, an ABC producer starts talking on the next one over. She's explaining what footage they had: "We got Harkin with some cows (they were steers, at the stockyard), you know, something really South Dakota-ish." That same week, the New York Times filed literally every story about the primary under the dateline: Sioux City, South Dakota. Impressive.

So I have pretty low expectations when these New York (or in this case Connecticut) dopes venture more than 15 feet away from their capuccino machines and their precious New York Yankees.

There is an article in the Argus today stating that SD's sportcenter will be help august 10 in Sturgis during the bike rally. Not really Sportscenterish but i guess it is part of South Dakota.

By the way OK, leave my Yankees out of this discussion ;)

filbert
07-22-2005, 10:29 AM
I was under the impression that the move to DI and more significantly the future of SDSU as an institution hinged on the results of this poll!!! My understanding is that either the Daktodome or CAS and more importantly the coyotes of Jacks will exist after the Sportscenter visit but not both!!! If we don't win this poll we could lose our school. This is serious.

Not only is it series, it's hugh! /FreeRepublic mistype cliche

(Over there, what we're doing to ESPN is referred to as 'Freeping' the on-line poll . . . )

OK_Jackrabbit
07-22-2005, 11:09 AM
There is an article in the Argus today stating that SD's sportcenter will be help august 10 in Sturgis during the bike rally. Not really Sportscenterish but i guess it is part of South Dakota.

By the way OK, leave my Yankees out of this discussion ;)
Nothing against the Yankees. It's the Yankee-centric media that drives me crazy.

OK_Jackrabbit
07-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Not only is it series, it's hugh! /FreeRepublic mistype cliche

(Over there, what we're doing to ESPN is referred to as 'Freeping' the on-line poll . . . )
I've been tempted to use that term several times in the last few days, but I wasn't sure if anybody else besides me is enough of a geek to recognize it.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
07-22-2005, 01:00 PM
I have a legitimate question that came to mind while filling out that poll. Based on the last 10 years, what would be the biggest rivalry? USD v. SDSU football or SDSU v. NDSU football? Of course, I have an opinion.

Having played against both, it's not an easy question. With USD, there was a genuine feeling of hatred when we played. We played that game with a little more zest. During the USD game week, non-SD teamates would talk about how they had never heard of the USD/SDSU rivalry until coming to SDSU and how they now despised USD. It meant bragging rights for a year. Having said that, the rivalry was a differnet intensity than the NDSU game.

With USD, we went into each game knowing we were the better team. I'm sure that will get the pro-red drifters of this board into an uproar, but there is very little bias is writing that statement. If you look back at the last 10 years of SDSU football, USD is one of the teams we consistently beat. Aside from Morningside, I would guess we have to have one of our best winning percentages against USD. Those who love looking that kind of stuff up, please help me out here. Regardless of records, we always went into the USD game knowing it was our game to lose. In fact, the only game I lost to USD was when our offense just couldn't move the ball and we had 3 turnovers in the red-zone. Every other USD game I played in, we were partying by the 4th quarter.

As for NDSU, we have historically been on the other side of the equation. They generally came into the SDSU game knowing it was their game to lose. There was intense passions on both sides, but they were usually coming out ahead. Then, with the explosion of Ranek, we started the "home team wins" scenario that is currently playing out. Within the last 10 years, our teams have become more equals on the field. No longer was it an upset when SDSU beat NDSU and rarely did a blow-out happen. I'd still say that NDSU generally feels they are going to win each and every SDSU game, and probably rightfully so. But, they know they're going to have to play their best game to do so.

As a player, we played NDSU with as much dislike as we did for USD. I'm not trying to get the NDSU fans who visit this site riled up, but NDSU football have always carried themselves with a certain aura about them. NDSU was the bully on the block for a long time. At SDSU, we were tired of that bully and wanted to show them that we were no longer the wimp to be pushed around. That was the type of hate we brought into that game. I think that feelings probably changed with the move to DI and over the last couple of years. But, when I played, it was always a feeling of "payback's a b@tch" and a "who do you think you are" type thing. That's different than when we played USD.

I guess I've rambled on and on without really making a point. Maybe that's the point. With USD now a team of the past, we're left with NDSU as our only real potential rival. That's why I voted for the SDSU/NDSU rivalry. But, I still feel odd not voting for the USD/SDSU rivalry...if that makes sense.

Give me some other thoughts on this.

filbert
07-22-2005, 01:22 PM
Give me some other thoughts on this.

Your comments make perfect sense. USD-SDSU was the biggest rivalry in SD for 100+ years. That rivalry is no more, SDSU has moved up. NDSU-SDSU is now the biggest rivalry. USD-Augie just can't compete with the "big boy" State land grand schools' rivalry, now.

OK_Jackrabbit
07-22-2005, 03:41 PM
USD was the only rival I knew for SDSU for most of my life. It was a hatred thing, as Milwaukee points out. I have a different feeling for NDSU... respect. I think that's a pretty good basis for a rivalry. It's not the same kind of thing, and I don't think I could ever come to hate NDSU. NDSU has a first class operation and they've invested a lot in being our partners in DI. But they're also our only nearby rival and that alone, along with respect, should make for a strong rivalry. Look at the Dakota Marker game last year. I watched it on a satellite feed in the sterile control room of the OU Gaylord Hall television station. And it was great... we lived and died with every play of that winning TD drive. I can't wait to experience that in person at Frost or Coughlin. The only thing that would compare last year for my wife and I was Drew Tate's TD pass against LSU on the last play of the Outback Bowl last year. I think the Dakota Marker game was a great start to what will become a great rivalry.

filbert
07-22-2005, 07:05 PM
There.

Coughlin-Alumni Arena (sic) is in 2nd after Frost.

1) Most memorable sports moment?

37.9% Adam Vinatieri kicks game-winning field goal vs. Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI (2002)
25.8% South Dakota State wins NCAA Div. II basketball title on Sid Bostic's 40-foot shot (1963)
13.9% Adam Vinatieri kicks game-winning field goal vs. Panthers in Super Bowl XXXVIII (2004)
13.1% Univ. of South Dakota wins NCAA Div. II basketball title (1958)
5.2% Billy Mills wins gold in 10,000-meter race at Olympics (1964)
2.2% Josh Heupel leads Oklahoma Univ. to win in Orange Bowl and national title (2001)
1.2% Orlando Magic select Mike Miller with fifth overall pick in NBA draft (2000)
0.7% Carrol Hardy pinch hits for Ted Williams, only player ever to do so (1960)

2) Favorite sport?

49.4% Basketball
27.4% Football
7.4% Baseball
7.2% Rodeo
3.2% Fishing
2.1% Golf
1.6% Auto racing
1.3% Hockey
0.4% Soccer

3) Favorite pro team?

50.8% Minnesota Vikings
18.8% Minnesota Twins
9.6% New York Yankees
7.3% Chicago Cubs
4.6% Denver Broncos
4.3% Green Bay Packers
3.4% Minnesota Timberwolves
0.7% Colorado Avalanche
0.6% Minnesota Wild

4) Favorite state team?

41.1% South Dakota State (basketball)
28.6% South Dakota State (football)
16.9% Univ. of South Dakota (football)
8.8% Sioux Falls Skyforce (basketball)

5) Best rivalry?

66.2% South Dakota State vs. North Dakota State (football)
26.2% Univ. of South Dakota vs. South Dakota State (football)
7.6% Sioux Falls Skyforce vs. Dakota Wizards (basketball)

6) Best homegrown product?

46.5% Billy Mills (track and field)
15.7% Sparky Anderson (coaching)
13.8% Mandy Koupal (basketball)
8.4% Mike Miller (basketball)
6.1% Derek Miles (track and field)
3.4% Casey Tibbs (rodeo)
2.0% Becky Hammon (basketball)
1.6% Josh Heupel (football)
1.0% Frank Leahy (coaching)
0.7% Garney Henley (football)
0.7% Dave Collins (baseball)
0.1% Jack Maders (football)

33.6% Adam Vinatieri, South Dakota State
22.8% Jim Langer, South Dakota State
18.9% Adam Timmerman, South Dakota State
15.5% Mandy Koupal, Univ. of South Dakota
6.4% Derek Miles, Univ. of South Dakota

8) Favorite personality or historical figure?

34.1% Sitting Bull (Lakota leader)
21.8% Tom Brokaw (newscaster)
20.5% Crazy Horse (Lakota leader)
14.9% Tom Daschle (politician)
3.4% Cheryl Ladd (actress)
2.8% Laura Ingalls Wilder (author)
1.5% Hubert Humphrey (politician)
0.6% George McGovern (politician)
0.3% Mary Hart (teleivision)
0.2% Shawn Colvin (musician)

47.3% Frost Arena (South Dakota St. basketball)
26.4% Coughlin Alumni Arena (South Dakota St. football)
26.3% DakotaDome (Univ. of South Dakota football)

10) Have you been to South Dakota?

89.9% Yes
10.1% No

Total Votes: 24,400

JBNJBQ
07-23-2005, 04:46 AM

No actually what we are doing is "freeping the creep!"

That will teach Mavs#DII to bring his un-scientific crap poll to our board. ESPN will have to take notice of the overwelming support South Dakota has given for the states "Univeristy of Choice."

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Mavericks#1
07-23-2005, 05:54 AM
No actually what we are doing is "freeping the creep!"

That will teach Mavs#DII to bring his un-scientific crap poll to our board. ESPN will have to take notice of the overwelming support South Dakota has given for the states "Univeristy of Choice."

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ
What I think you meant to say is the overwhelming support that the 10 (I have no other life) fans continue to give the little D2 school who thought it could. I think we can. I think we can ....I think we can

Mavs #1

JBNJBQ
07-23-2005, 06:34 AM
Mavs #DII:

Have you signed in yet?

http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/effete3.png

jackmd
07-23-2005, 09:34 AM
What I think you meant to say is the overwhelming support that the 10 (I have no other life) fans continue to give the little D2 school who thought it could. I think we can. I think we can ....I think we can

Mavs #1

Another smile for me today.

filbert
07-23-2005, 04:14 PM

Mavs #1
I love it when a plan comes together.

OK_Jackrabbit
07-23-2005, 05:21 PM

Mavs #1
Huh? D2? I don't know what school you're talking about. SDSU is DI.

bigjake
07-23-2005, 08:48 PM
Mav1 or MavD2 (whatever you are being called these days), Be aware there are more than 10 jack fanatics - more like 34 using a very low threshold. There are 34 people (minus the 3 of us) who have posted more than 75 posts on this over the last 2 years. That doesn't seem like a huge show of support to me although the top 18 are rather intense. 34 people who care enough to post at least every other week is not what I would call a huge level of support. A reasonable person would assume that many people who are intense in their school support would enter this site more often than they do. Says something about the depth of your support.
I didn't make that number 34 up but pulled it off your member list. If I used a tougher criteria like one post a week it would have been even lower.

89rabbit
07-23-2005, 09:26 PM
Mav1 or MavD2 (whatever you are being called these days), Be aware there are more than 10 jack fanatics - more like 34 using a very low threshold. There are 34 people (minus the 3 of us) who have posted more than 75 posts on this over the last 2 years. That doesn't seem like a huge show of support to me although the top 18 are rather intense. 34 people who care enough to post at least every other week is not what I would call a huge level of support. A reasonable person would assume that many people who are intense in their school support would enter this site more often than they do. Says something about the depth of your support.
I didn't make that number 34 up but pulled it off your member list. If I used a tougher criteria like one post a week it would have been even lower.

I went to the UNO board and found . . . oh wait, UNO doesn't have a board, not surprising after all they are just a D-II commuter school. Not even worthy of a mention on the ESPN 50 in 50 poll.

Go State! ;D

jacksfaninne
07-23-2005, 10:08 PM
WOW! Now that is a classic post. Thanks for reminding us yet again of your genius. You know da#mn well that if uno had a board it would be just you two going back and forth about the wonderful breadth and depth of uno fan support. The pot calls the kettle what?

Rabbit_FB_Alum
08-13-2005, 04:06 PM
For some reason when I read a post from Mav. or Big Jake, all the words look like this.

bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter,bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter,bitter. And oh by the way, we are bitter.

;D

filbert
08-13-2005, 04:10 PM
For some reason when I read a post from Mav. or Big Jake, all the words look like this.

bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter,bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter,bitter. And oh by the way, we are bitter.

;D

That pretty much says it all.

Mavericks#1
08-13-2005, 08:43 PM
You 34 fantasy living rabbitt lovers better get hot on this poll. You are getting your arse kicked by a D2 school. By the way... what is the color of the sky in your world. Is that a coyote howling that I hear coming down from the north at the most popular school in South Dakota. Must be!!!

Mavs #1

89rabbit
08-14-2005, 06:39 AM

;D

Rabbit_FB_Alum
08-14-2005, 09:11 AM
You 34 fantasy living rabbitt lovers better get hot on this poll. You are getting your arse kicked by a D2 school. By the way... what is the color of the sky in your world. Is that a coyote howling that I hear coming down from the north at the most popular school in South Dakota. Must be!!!

Mavs #1

No, that is just the howl from their own empty heads. They are afterall the self-proclaimed "South Dakota's Team". By the way, the color of the sky is the same color in our world as it is in yours, JACKRABBIT BLUE. So every time you take a gander up at a beautiful blue sky, you can think of us. :-*