Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best of South Dakota???

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sports...?event_id=1454

Been awhile since I ran some smack but when I saw this poll and results I had to share some of the interesting results with you.

1. When 860 South Dakotan's and me were asked their favorite sports venue in South Dakota over 50% responded with the Dakota Dome. What happended to your hallowed Frost Arena and your high school football stadium? The results of this poll were not even close. Those of you with blinders on are always making fun of the Dome when it is clear most people love it.

2. When over 860 South Dakotan's were asked for their favorite sport team they responded with South Dakota Football? ? ? I could have sworn that you were the school that went D1. Maybe I was wrong. The people of South Dakota apparently don't give a rats behind that you went D1. Give them their Coyote's!!

3. I find it very funny that one of the state most famous athletes was Mandy Koupal, who dissed SDSU in favor of USD. We all know who Mandy thinks is the better University and it is not the school who went limping into D1.

4. When asked the last question if I had ever been to South Dakota I painfully had to check yes. But then I remembered that the last time I was there was to watch my Maverick basketball team end your long home winning streak and then a big smile came across my face. Although after seeing that Morningside pounded you at home it has made that win a little less special.

In closing, this poll proves what Big Jake has always said that the handful of fanatic SDSU fans on this site are in the minority and that most South Dakotan's could give a rip about SDSU and their move to D1. You thought that by going D1 could get you out of USD's shadow but it is clear that this has not happened. The people of South Dakota have spoken and it is clear that they feel that you will always be the stepsister of USD.

Mavs #1

Re: Best of South Dakota???

Hmm. Buzzing. Must be a mosquito. Didn't think they could get into the Internet, but go figure.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
      http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/fiftyfifty/polling?event_id=1454

Been awhile since I ran some smack but when I saw this poll and results I had to share some of the interesting results with you.

1. When 860 South Dakotan's and me were asked their favorite sports venue in South Dakota over 50% responded with the Dakota Dome. What happended to your hallowed Frost Arena and your high school football stadium? The results of this poll were not even close. Those of you with blinders on are always making fun of the Dome when it is clear most people love it.

2. When over 860 South Dakotan's were asked for their favorite sport team they responded with South Dakota Football? ? ?  I could have sworn that you were the school that went D1. Maybe I was wrong. The people of South Dakota apparently don't give a rats behind that you went D1. Give them their Coyote's!!

3. I find it very funny that one of the state most famous athletes was Mandy Koupal, who dissed SDSU in favor of USD. We all know who Mandy thinks is the better University and it is not the school who went limping into D1.

4.  When asked the last question if I had ever been to South Dakota I painfully had to check yes. But then I remembered that the last time I was there was to watch my Maverick basketball team end your long home winning streak and then a big smile came across my face. Although after seeing that Morningside pounded you at home it has made that win a little less special.

In closing,  this poll proves what Big Jake has always said that the handful of fanatic SDSU fans on this site are in the minority and that most South Dakotan's could give a rip about SDSU and their move to D1. You thought that by going D1 could get you out of USD's shadow but it is clear that this has not happened. The people of South Dakota have spoken and it is clear that they feel that you will always be the stepsister of USD.

Mavs #1
      Quick lesson here Mavs: There's a difference between a scientific survey and an online poll.

Nobody was "asked" anything. Every one of those respondents was self-selected, visited that site, and voted online. You're suggesting that this is some kind of representative survey when you say "860 South Dakotans were asked" something and then cite a percentage. It's an online questionnaire. There is nothing representative about it. It is not a scientific survey of public opinion. Nobody can make any broad generalizations about attitudes or awareness based on a self-selected online questionnaire.

Of course that's what you have done. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that you don't know what you're talking about.

By the way, the voting isn't over yet. And how is UNO doing in the Nebraska voting? Oh, sorry. UNO didn't even make it into any of the questions.

Comment

Mav,

You are really slipping, grasping at straws as the say. You gotta do better than this.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
          Quick lesson here Mavs: There's a difference between a scientific survey and an online poll.

Nobody was "asked" anything. Every one of those respondents was self-selected, visited that site, and voted online. You're suggesting that this is some kind of representative survey when you say "860 South Dakotans were asked" something and then cite a percentage. It's an online questionnaire. There is nothing representative about it. It is not a scientific survey of public opinion. Nobody can make any broad generalizations about attitudes or awareness based on a self-selected online questionnaire.

Of course that's what you have done. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that you don't know what you're talking about.

By the way, the voting isn't over yet. And how is UNO doing in the Nebraska voting? Oh, sorry. UNO didn't even make it into any of the questions.

Ok Jackrabbitt

I understand that this wasn't a Multi-Center Double Blind Placebo controlled trial. But here is why I think it carries some relevance.

1.  This poll was posted on ESPN.com so I don't think I am taken much of a leap of faith to say that these 860 people are big sports fans or why would they be on Espn.com.  I think it would be safe to say that Mr. Geeky non-sports fan (JBNJBQ) doesn't spend much time on this site. Who better to ask their opinion that sports crazed fans who live on these sports websites. These are the people that I like to hear the opinions of.

2.  I am not saying that all of the 860 people that participated in this poll are from South Dakota. But I don't think I am going out on a limb saying that most either are from South Dakota or lived their at one time. Why else would they take the time to fill out the poll? I don't imagine that I will go to Rhode Island's poll and spend the time to fill it out when I know nothing about the sports culture there.

3.  You can poke holes anytime data is collected especially when the results are not going your way. If you do make a comeback in this poll I could make the arguement that you guys just called all your in- bred relatives begging them to fill out the poll. Some of you computer nerds will probably figure out a way to fill out the survey as many times as you want.

My main point is that there is not the huge support out there for SDSU that many of you dream about. The poll is pretty clear on that. You will have to get used to the fact that a D2 school is still driving the bus and you are just a helpless passenger on that bus.

Mavs#1

P.S  Creighton didn't make the Nebraska poll either so I don't feel too bad and I would rather not have my only schools memory be of some dude hitting a half court in 1960  to win a game.

Comment

What is neat about this poll is that you can vote more then once. I voted twice today, and if I have time will vote maybe 4 times tomorrow and 8 on the next day and maybe 16 the next. Progresssional voting, its great maybe Karl Rove will put this type of voting to use in 2006.

Comment

When are you going to update us Mavs DII? Your original post is worthless. More than 1,900 have now voted, so theoretically we now have a better sampling of how voters feel. Your girlfriend Mandy K. now ranks just above how anything uno ranks in Nebraska. BTW, need I remind you again that anytime you or anyone from uno dogs another school's facilities, you instantly lose whatever shred of credibility you may have thought you had.
              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Of course the numbers started back in your favor once you saw the numbers were bad. The ten fanatics on this board blew their whole weekend refilling out the poll over and over again. We all know what the numbers were before you guys skewed them. Before you bag on our facilities remember that our hockey arena, the Qwest Center, makes Frost Arena look like a YMCA gym. Now getting back to being USD's b*tch! ;D ;D ;D.

Mavs#1

JBNJBQ, thanks for sparing us from your humorless picture smack lately. Although you might want to private message SDSU fan with it. For some reason he thinks it is funny.

Comment

I read an article in the Argus yesterday about events at USD and SDSU - each of whom host many events during the summer. USD was hosting a seminar for trial lawyers wishing to hone their skills. SDSU was hosting a sausage making semiar.
                  I guess each school has its mission in the state.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
                    our hockey arena, the Qwest Center
                    CORRECTION: Creighton's basketball arena, the Qwest Center

It's the only decent facility uno plays in, you RENT it, and you still try to claim it as yours. Now that's something to be proud of. BTW, word is the YMCA turned down Sapp Fieldhouse because it couldn't meet Y standards.
                    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                    --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Mav #D-II,

So let me get this straight, when the ESPN poll had 860 responses and you liked the results it was infallible and was driven by "pure" sports fans.  Now that the poll has 3,774 responses and you don't like the results, it is because the poll was compromised by 10 guys "who gave up their weekends" to make sure SDSU won .  .  .  riiiiight.  :  Just wanted to make sure I fully understood what passes for logic in your world.  Just so you know I took my family camping this weekend.  

Go State!  ;D

P.S. Creighton is mentioned in the Nebraska poll, but UNO is not.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sports...?event_id=1442

Look under  question #2  "Most memorable moment in College World Series history (played in Omaha)?"  The forth choice down is "Wichita State beats crowd favorite Creighton in 12 innings, with tying run thrown out at home (1991)"

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne
                        CORRECTION:  Creighton's basketball arena, the Qwest Center

It's the only decent facility uno plays in, you RENT it, and you still try to claim it as yours.  Now that's something to be proud of.  BTW, word is the YMCA turned down Sapp Fieldhouse because it couldn't meet Y standards.

Do you really think that our student athletes, fans and most importantly recruits care if the building is rented? We are playing in a building that is hosting a D1 Championship (2006 Womens Volleyball). I doubt that Frost Arena will ever host a D1 national championship, let alone a conference championship (if you ever get in one).

Mavs #1

Comment

Yes they do care if its rented, but they also turn and run from Sapp Field House that houses the faded and dusty championship banners. Sometimes the dust coming off the faded banners is overcoming and they need CPR. A handy item for visiting Student athletes would be a gas mask issued as they enter Sapp Field House. ;D ;D

As stated Quest is for hockey and no other UNO sports, so most SA visit Omaha and leave without visiting Quest. Why they bother? ???

Comment

Do you rent that soccer pitch in the city park? I am sure Creighton's women's soccer team is going to love leaving their multi million dollar soccer facility to play in a city park. Many of the kids probably played club soccer on nicer fields than that. I am sure the football coaches love sitting in that trailer on stilts you call a press box. One good wind and that thing will be tumbling down I-29. Maybe they can rent that thing out in the winter to help defray some of your costs in going D1. People in  glass houses...

Mavs#1

Comment

OK, let's start with a correction of fact.  The Fishback Soccer Park is a soccer complex.  Not a city park.  There are no playgrounds, grills, swimming pools,  etc.  There are many soccer fields including a main compition field that is the home of SDSU Women's Soccer.  If you plan on taking your family there for a picnic before you watch the Jackrabbits beat the Bluejays you will be disappointed.  Just trying to be helpful, I wouldn't want your next trip to Brookings to be anything but pleasant, except for the outcome of the game of course.

Here is a little more info for you on the soccer complex:

http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary...Guide_2003.pdf

Fishback
                              Soccer Park.

The 10-field complex covers nearly 80
                              acres and includes a stadium venue, which
                              features 500 permanent seats and can be
                              expanded to seat an estimated 1,500 spectators.
                              The lighted stadium field will serve
                              as home field for the SDSU women’s soccer
                              team.
                              “The opportunity to have a solidified
                              soccer-only stadium for our home games
                              will put us on par with some of the top
                              programs nationally,” SDSU head coach
                              Lang Wedemeyer said.
                              Land for the complex, which is located at
                              the intersection of Medary Avenue and 20th
                              Street South, was donated by the Fishback
                              family of Brookings, representatives of First
                              National Bank of Brookings.  .  .  

The estimated $1 million project is a
                              collaborative effort between the City of
                              Brookings, SDSU, the Brookings Soccer
                              Association and private citizens. SDSU’s
                              portion of the cost will go toward lighting at
                              the stadium field.
                              The largest portion of the funding will
                              come from the city’s second-penny sales tax
                              revenue. A $75,000 grant from the United
                              States Soccer Foundation to pay for such
                              items as irrigation and soccer goals also
                              was secured.  .  .  .

How much money did UNO chip in for the Quest Center?

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X