Mavs#dII gets new job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mavs#dII gets new job?

Congratulations to Mavs#dII for landing a new job at the Omaha Wal-Mart!

MAVS#dII

Re: Mavs#dII gets new job?

Minn Duluth? Really?
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

1963?? Really?

Comment

SDSU is now a five point favorite over Stanford. Really and how about those UMD Bulldogs ;D. They have four seniors starting and they could whip a veteran UNO team. ;D ;D ;D

So sad about the UNO injuries and I thought they had a new weight facilty, does Behrns encourage his players to use it? ??? I been told conditioning prevents injuries but apparently that is not the case at UNO. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
          1963??   Really?
          Weak. Let's talk about Saturday: UNO loses to Minnesota-Duluth. SDSU beats Cal-Davis.

Comment

Congrats to the Jacks on a big win over another provisional d1aa team. No getting around it - it was a nice win.
            My guess though is that president miller would trade that win any day for all that money that your former rivals to the south received last week from the Faithe family estate. I would love to have been in her office when the anouncement was made by usd. I will bet she was on the phone immediately calling the heads of alumni and development wondering why sdsu isn't getting a piece of the action from all those alumni pig farmers you have. They are probably sitting on some valuable land they could donate to sdsu. So while sdsu has one thing to be very happy about USD has 8,750,000 things to celebrate. OK_Jackrabbit - they may ask you to take a pay freeze this year to try to catch up usd's prosperity to the south.
            Finally, I know we lost to Duluth but hey our record is still 4-2 which is better than your record.

Comment

little jake,

That donation has been covered already...no big deal considering it is all going to the medical school which even as a SDSU grad am happy for. I say this because a lot of our bio. majors do end up going there for their MD's.

Nice record...you could have 5 wins if you would of schedule the Minnesota Vikings this year! oooooouuuuuccccchhhhh!

Comment

And, after those MD's graduate from USD, more often than not their $$$ go to SDSU rather than that other school by the river.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by bigjake
                  Congrats to the Jacks on a big win over another provisional d1aa team.  No getting around it - it was a nice win.
                  My guess though is that president miller would trade that win any day for all that money that your former rivals to the south received last week from the Faithe family estate.  I would love to have been in her office when the anouncement was made by usd.  I will bet she was on the phone immediately calling the heads of alumni and development wondering why sdsu isn't getting a piece of the action from all those alumni pig farmers you have.  They are probably sitting on some valuable land they could donate to sdsu.  So while sdsu has one thing to be very happy about USD has 8,750,000 things to celebrate.  OK_Jackrabbit - they may ask you to take a pay freeze this year to try to catch up usd's prosperity to the south.
                  Finally, I know we lost to Duluth but hey our record is still 4-2 which is better than your record.
                  That $8.75 million will earn about $300,000 each year that will go to scholarships and financial aid for medical students. It doesn't have anything to do with undergraduate education. I think that's fine, but it obviously doesn't have anything to do with me, with undergraduate students in South Dakota, SDSU, or President Miller.

The SDSU Foundation does quite nicely raising money from "pig farmers" and such. The SDSU Foundation currently provides more than $200,000 every week to the university in program support. That's something like $10 million a year. USD reports that their foundation provided just over $5 million in program support funds in 2004. It's not an exact, apples-to-apples comparison, but how exactly do you define prosperity, Jake? Is $10 million more than $5 million?

The fact is that both universities rely on that foundation money to grow and to provide services, since the state's portion of higher education funding continues to decline. And just as David Marquardt and the SDSU Foundation do a great job, so does my friend Ted Muenster and the USD Foundation. As a taxpayer, an educator, and a parent, I think the outstanding performance of both foundations is a great thing for the state.

Comment

Ok_Jack, I was just "pulling your chain" a bit about taking a pay freeze. But I honestly believe that PRes Miller (like most human beings) probably thought why the heck it wasn't us who got that donation instead of usd. But I do believe that some of those "pig farmers" are sitting on some very valuable land. Maybe sdsu can go out and cultivate those guys into giving something - especially ones without kids or who are alienated from their kids. But I am for colleges getting as much as they can from donations. Maybe it will slow down the rate of tuition growth at some of these places that far out paces inflation.

Comment

Ok_Jack, I was just "pulling  your chain" a bit about taking a pay freeze.  But I honestly believe that PRes Miller (like most human beings) probably thought why the heck it wasn't us who got that donation instead of usd.  But I do  believe that some of those "pig farmers" are sitting on some very valuable land.  Maybe sdsu can go out and cultivate those guys into giving something - especially ones without kids or who are alienated from their kids.  But I am for colleges getting as much as they can from donations.  Maybe it will slow down the rate of tuition growth at some of these places that far out paces inflation.  
                      big Jake, is there any one more assinine than you are? How little do you know. The SDSU Foundation has received many many acres of farm land. Whether they were owned by pig farmers I dont know, but you can take your put down and put it where the moon don't shine. ;D ;D ;D.

Dr Miller is not worried about a 8.7 million dollar endowment.  She is most likely happy as it means the one and only Med school in South Dakota and located at USD will have one less reason to approach the SD Board of Regents for additional funding. ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Big Jake:

Read my prior post, it was modified and updated. ;D

Comment

I'll post this here too. BJ opened his mouth again and confirmed his ignorance. All I can say is moron.

References the med school fiasco, also.

I fully support the education of medical students in our state, but not the way the campus in Vermillion is going about it. I don't think we've heard the end of the problems down south. I suspect a successful season on the grid iron won't be quite enough to quell the trouble that will continue to brew. I hope I'm wrong.

USD student center delayed because of higher costs

DORIS HAUGEN

Associated Press

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - The University of South Dakota has delayed work on a new $15 million student center because of rising construction costs and other expenses, but the project itself remains on track, administrators say.

The university planned to close the 40-year-old Coyote Student Center in January and start demolition work in February, said Greg Redlin, USD's vice president for finance and administration at the Vermillion school.

Now, workers plan to demolish the center after the spring semester with construction to follow, Redlin said.

"We've lost a couple of months ... but we'd rather error on the side of caution," he said.

The center includes a revamped dining hall, new office space, a large multipurpose room and student lounge areas. USD wants to open it by fall 2007.

To pay for it, USD has proposed a $4.95 per credit hour increase in the general activity fee, which is charged to all students. Also, USD's food service provider and the company that runs the bookstore have said they will donate money toward the center.

Charles Rose, of Charles Rose Architects Inc. in Somerville, Mass., said he did not have specific numbers for the USD project. But overall, building material costs have risen in the last six months, he said.

Some increases came in the wake of hurricanes along the Gulf Coast, said Rose, whose firm was hired in June to design the new student center.

"In various materials groups, there has been an increase which is related to some of the massive building efforts and reconstruction efforts ... that does tend to affect prices upwards," he said.

Rose said his company worked with both regional and national firms to provide preliminary pricing information. The bidding process has not started, he said.

Earlier this year, USD asked the Legislature to contribute about $2 million toward construction of a new medical school after bids for that project came in higher than expected. Increased costs for steel, insulation and other construction materials were listed as the main reasons.

By delaying the student center project, USD hopes to avoid a similar legislative request, said Redlin.

"We just don't want to get caught ... we're being cautious of the timing of this as well," he said.

Mike Reger, vice president of administration at South Dakota State University, said the Brookings school has not had to delay or trim any building projects because of higher construction costs.

Two big building projects at SDSU - a residence hall and the student center - were bid before costs starting going up, he said.........
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                            I'll post this here too.  BJ opened his mouth again and confirmed his ignorance.  All I can say is moron.  

References the med school fiasco, also.  

I fully support the education of medical students in our state, but not the way the campus in Vermillion is going about it.  I don't think we've heard the end of the problems down south.  I suspect a successful season on the grid iron won't be quite enough to quell the trouble that will continue to brew.  I hope I'm wrong.

USD student center delayed because of higher costs

Two big building projects at SDSU - a residence hall and the student center - were bid before costs starting going up, he said.........
                            In fairness to USD (did I just say that?) cement prices have recently gone through the roof. And steel remains really expensive. But I don't know when those prices are going to go down and I doubt that a few months will make much difference.

Comment

But I honestly believe that PRes Miller (like most human beings) probably thought why the heck it wasn't us who got that donation instead of usd.  
                              I highly doubt she wondered why the donation went to USD instead of SDSU considering that Margaret Faithe went to school at USD. Usually when people donate large sums of money its to their alma mater.

Comment

Working...
                              X