Congrats to Mav #1 and bigjake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats to Mav #1 and bigjake

Let me be the first on here to say congrats to the UNO boys on their squads big come from behind win over the Sue today 20-19 in the Alerus Center. Impressive.
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Re: Congrats to Mav #1 and bigjake

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
    Let me be the first on here to say congrats to the UNO boys on their squads big come from behind win over the Sue today 20-19 in the Alerus Center.  Impressive.
    That is a big win. Good for the Mavs. Unfortunately, it looks like all the NCC teams are on the verge of beating each other out of the D2 playoff picture.

Comment

I have to add my congrats to UNO too, as I think the UND people were beginning to think they had a perfect team with a perfect defense. IT would have been interesting to see how the UND D system would have stacked up against GSU's triple option. I understand the the coach at UM-Duluth Babba Schiewgart while an assistant at UND designed the UND scheme in order to stop the then veer option used by NDSU. ;D

Comment

Thanks for the love guys. Down 19-0 with ten minutes left on the road against the #1 team in the country. Has to be in the top five all time wins in UNO history.

I am not going to give you crap about your loss. One thing that bothers me is that you can get over 10,000 for Mo. Rolla and only 5,000 for Georgia Southern. I understand that Rolla was homecoming but playing a game against a school with the history in D1aa that Southern has and only 5,000 show up? This is why you went to a higher class to bring big name schools into Brookings. This might lead me to questioning how many real football fans come to your games compared to how many people would rather be hunting or participating in homecoming festivities? These are the type games that an increase in schollies might help you win. I am hoping that UNO can play D1AA in football some day. I would love to strike up the SDSU vs. UNO game again someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
          Thanks for the love guys. Down 19-0 with ten minutes left on the road against the #1 team in the country. Has to be in the top five all time wins in UNO history.

I am not going to give you crap about your loss. One thing that bothers me is that you can get over 10,000 for Mo. Rolla and only 5,000 for Georgia Southern. I understand that Rolla was homecoming but playing a game against a school with the history in D1aa that Southern has and only 5,000 show up?  This is why you went to a higher class to bring big name schools into Brookings. This might lead me to questioning how many real football fans come to your games compared to how many people would rather be hunting or participating in homecoming festivities? These are the type games that an increase in schollies might help you win. I am hoping that UNO can play D1AA in football some day. I would love to strike up the SDSU vs. UNO game again someday.
          You're right. That crowd was a huge disappointment. I would welcome UNO to D1AA. It would be great to have another 1AA school in the region.

Comment

We had 14,503 at Hobo Day, almost 10,000 more then at the Georgia Southern game. Very disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1

I am not going to give you crap about your loss. One thing that bothers me is that you can get over 10,000 for Mo. Rolla and only 5,000 for Georgia Southern. I understand that Rolla was homecoming but playing a game against a school with the history in D1aa that Southern has and only 5,000 show up?  This is why you went to a higher class to bring big name schools into Brookings. This might lead me to questioning how many real football fans come to your games compared to how many people would rather be hunting or participating in homecoming festivities? These are the type games that an increase in schollies might help you win. I am hoping that UNO can play D1AA in football some day. I would love to strike up the SDSU vs. UNO game again someday.
              You could not have written a more true statement Mav. The attendance was pathetic and a major embarrasement to SDSU if not the whole DI-AA community. How can we ever expect to get another top program to play in Brookings if we can't draw more than 4500 for the best program in DI-AA on a beautiful day for football? The couple of GSU fans I spoke to after the game thought our players deserved much more support for a much improved team.

Congrats Mav/Big Jake on a great win against UND. I'm assuming the other top four wins were against SDSU. ;D

Comment

Honestly I am not here to flame on this topic but do want to bring up some points on the attendance. South Dakota people in general just don't seem too spontaneous do they.

There are certain games that people put on their schedules to go to and others that they won't go to regardless of the opponent and regardless of the importance of the game. It makes you wonder sometimes if people are coming to a football game or just coming for an event. Hobo Days is an event just as it is a football game. The Georgia Southern game was pretty much just a football game.

If I was a Jacks fan and I had to choose between Hobo Days against Missouri Rolla or a regular game against Ga-Southern I wouldn't even think twice about it, it would be the Georgia Southern game because of the competition. Lets face it everyone and their dog knew that SDSU was likely going to crush Rolla so in my mind the Jacks didn't really need to fans to get it done. But in a game where a large and loud crowd could have helped alot no one was to be found. This is true all around SD not just SDSU and that is the point I am making.

I think sometimes people don't put certain sporting events #1 on their priority list, but you would think that more than 1/3 of the people at Hobo Days could have turned around and showed up a week later. It's really puzzling to me that fans are like that. The GA SO game was way more important in the scheme of things. True fans would get their hunting in around the football game anyway or would hunt on a different day alltogether.

I use the game against Metro State in the Regional Finals a few years ago as another example. The mens basketball team had one of their biggest games but it was on a Sunday Night and wasn't something people could plan around much in advance. Therefor the game was down around 5-6k when it should have been a sellout easily.

The same can be said for USD. They draw about 9k for a SDSU game and only get about the same for an ultra important regional tournament game.

The same can be said for the Canaries and Stampede as well. They get the most fans for rivalry games and Weekend Night games but when things are at their most important they only draw about 3k for a playoff game. Senceless really.

I don't understand if people just don't care about the important games, don't understand the importance of certain games or just have certain games they will go to that happen to fit around their schedule. You would think the true fans would priorize the big games more than ever.

Attendance patterns can be very unpredictable at times when you would think they could be more easily gauged
                How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan
                  Honestly I am not here to flame on this topic but do want to bring up some points on the attendance.  South Dakota people in general just don't seem too spontaneous do they.  

There are certain games that people put on their schedules to go to and others that they won't go to regardless of the opponent and regardless of the importance of the game.  It makes you wonder sometimes if people are coming to a football game or just coming for an event.   Hobo Days is an event just as it is a football game.  The Georgia Southern game was pretty much just a football game.  

If I was a Jacks fan and I had to choose between Hobo Days against Missouri Rolla or a regular game against Ga-Southern I wouldn't even think twice about it, it would be the Georgia Southern game because of the competition.  Lets face it everyone and their dog knew that SDSU was likely going to crush Rolla so in my mind the Jacks didn't really need to fans to get it done.  But in a game where a large and loud crowd could have helped alot no one was to be found.  This is true all around SD not just SDSU and that is the point I am making.  

I think sometimes people don't put certain sporting events #1 on their priority list, but you would think that more than 1/3 of the people at Hobo Days could have turned around and showed up a week later.  It's really puzzling to me that fans are like that.  The GA SO game was way more important in the scheme of things.  True fans would get their hunting in around the football game anyway or would hunt on a different day alltogether.

I use the game against Metro State in the Regional Finals a few years ago as another example.  The mens basketball team had one of their biggest games but it was on a Sunday Night and wasn't something people could plan around much in advance.  Therefor the game was down around 5-6k when it should have been a sellout easily.  

The same can be said for USD.  They draw about 9k for a SDSU game and only get about the same for an ultra important regional tournament game.  

The same can be said for the Canaries and Stampede as well.  They get the most fans for rivalry games and Weekend Night games but when things are at their most important they only draw about 3k for a playoff game.   Senceless really.

I don't understand if people just don't care about the important games, don't understand the importance of certain games or just have certain games they will go to that happen to fit around their schedule.  You would think the true fans would priorize the big games more than ever.

Attendance patterns can be very unpredictable at times when you would think they could be more easily gauged
                  I think that's a pretty good analysis. I was thinking we had a baseline from the early non-conference games that we couldn't possibly drop below. Strange behavior by our "fans" to ignore the GSU game. You'd think maybe you could correlate these things to weather or something. But it was a beautiful day Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan
                    Honestly I am not here to flame on this topic but do want to bring up some points on the attendance.  South Dakota people in general just don't seem too spontaneous do they.  

There are certain games that people put on their schedules to go to and others that they won't go to regardless of the opponent and regardless of the importance of the game.  It makes you wonder sometimes if people are coming to a football game or just coming for an event.   Hobo Days is an event just as it is a football game.  The Georgia Southern game was pretty much just a football game.  

If I was a Jacks fan and I had to choose between Hobo Days against Missouri Rolla or a regular game against Ga-Southern I wouldn't even think twice about it, it would be the Georgia Southern game because of the competition.  Lets face it everyone and their dog knew that SDSU was likely going to crush Rolla so in my mind the Jacks didn't really need to fans to get it done.  But in a game where a large and loud crowd could have helped alot no one was to be found.  This is true all around SD not just SDSU and that is the point I am making.  

I think sometimes people don't put certain sporting events #1 on their priority list, but you would think that more than 1/3 of the people at Hobo Days could have turned around and showed up a week later.  It's really puzzling to me that fans are like that.  The GA SO game was way more important in the scheme of things.  True fans would get their hunting in around the football game anyway or would hunt on a different day alltogether.

I use the game against Metro State in the Regional Finals a few years ago as another example.  The mens basketball team had one of their biggest games but it was on a Sunday Night and wasn't something people could plan around much in advance.  Therefor the game was down around 5-6k when it should have been a sellout easily.  

The same can be said for USD.  They draw about 9k for a SDSU game and only get about the same for an ultra important regional tournament game.  

The same can be said for the Canaries and Stampede as well.  They get the most fans for rivalry games and Weekend Night games but when things are at their most important they only draw about 3k for a playoff game.   Senceless really.

I don't understand if people just don't care about the important games, don't understand the importance of certain games or just have certain games they will go to that happen to fit around their schedule.  You would think the true fans would priorize the big games more than ever.

Well said.

Comment

I too was very disappointed by the attendance on Saturday. The players noticed the difference also. The people that did not come missed watching an excellent football team in Georgia Southern. I tip my hat to them, they are a program that I hope we get to be in the future. Still proud of our boys, the one thing that is a big spark for the team right now is that if we win out, we will at least have a share of the conference title. We can do it also......

Go Jacks !!!!!!!
                      http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Some of us talked about the crowd, or lack there of, after the game. One thing that came to mind was that the weather was "too nice". South Dakotans have this thing about the "last nice weekend" before winter and getting "things" done. This is not an excuse, as I helped my Mother baton down the hatches on Sunday, just another possible explanation. I, like many, was embarrassed by the turn out. It was the worst since we moved up to I-AA and it came against the best program to ever come to South Dakota. :-[

Go State! ;D

Comment

South Dakota people in general just don't seem too spontaneous do they
                          Judging from my 5 years in Brookings, the people in the community followed sports very close, they just didn't go to games. I'm basing my experience on baseball, (I know, not exactly the same fan base) everyone you ran into around town would know everything about our team -- but they had never seen a game. This was the same with amatuer ball in the summer. The Brookings Cubs won 5 straight titles, and probably had a bigger following than our SDSU team, but we would have 100 people on a great night.
                          “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

UNO pulled one out their "you know what". When and if we have to play them again we will get our lunch handed to us. One playoff win in 12 years for Coach Behrns. Need I say more. We usually have one lost weekend and one weekend where we pull a huge upset and then we tank in the playoffs. When you line up dale lennon against pat behrns in a playoff game uno is trailing by 7 pts before the game even starts.
                            Glad to see that fan apathy goes on up there, too. That crowd of yours was very "UNOesque". I really don't care who the heck becomes the next homecoming king and queen but if I liked fb (even if I didn't care about sdsu) I would definitely have gone to see ga southern and davis and maybe one or two more. That would be cause for concern if I was a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjake
                               I really don't care who the heck becomes the next  homecoming king and queen but if I liked fb (even if I didn't care about sdsu) I would definitely have gone to see ga southern and davis and maybe one or two more.  That would be cause for concern if I was a fan.
                              But hey, at least we beat Morningside tonight. Got one monkey off our backs. Please allow us to revel in the moment. Kidding.

Comment

Working...
                              X