South Dakota Football Team Jumps to Fifth in AFCA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Dakota Football Team Jumps to Fifth in AFCA

VERMILLION, S.D. (Oct. 4, 2005) -- The South Dakota Football Team (6-0, 2-0 NCC), which leads the nation in scoring, rushing, total offense and pass efficiency, has moved up three spots to fifth in the American Football Coaches Association poll that was released on Tuesday. USD also was ranked third in the D2football.com media poll, also announced today.

Two other national polls have ranked South Dakota third or higher this week. USD is ranked second in the CollegeSportsReport.com Division II Route 66 rankings and third by the Don Hansen Weekly Football Gazette. In total, USD is ranked in the top-five in four different Division II football ranking services.

USD's ranking of fifth in the AFCA poll is the highest the Coyotes have been ranked since earning a No. 1 ranking in the 1987 season (mid-October).

The Coyotes, which defeated Augustana, 48-17, on Oct. 1 at Howard Wood Field in Sioux Falls, will host Minnesota State, Mankato at 2 p.m. on Dakota Day, Saturday, Oct. 8 at the DakotaDome.

The Coyotes lead the nation in total offense (634.0 yards per game), rushing offense (315 yards per game), scoring offense (58.7 points per game) and individual passing efficiency (Wes Beschorner, 267.91).

American Football Coaches Association Top-25 Poll (Oct. 4, 2005)

1. Grand Valley State (Mich.), 5-0
    2. North Dakota 6-0
    3. Valdosta State (Ga.) 5-1
    4. Saginaw Valley State (Mich.) 5-0
    5. South Dakota 6-0
    5. Northwest Missouri State 5-1
    7. Arkansas Tech 5-0
    8. Texas A&M Kingsville 4-1
    9. Michigan Tech 5-0
    10. Bloomsburg (Pa.) 6-0
    11. Carson-Newman (Tenn.) 4-1
    12. Albany State (Ga.) 4-1
    13. Nebraska-Omaha 4-1
    14. East Stroudsburg (Pa.) 4-1
    15. Northwood (Mich.) 5-1
    16. West Texas A&M 6-0
    17. Edinboro (Pa.) 4-1
    18. St. Cloud State (Minn.) 5-1
    19. Tuskegee (Ala.) 4-1
    20. Pittsburg State (Kan.) 4-2
    21. Shepherd (W. Va.) 6-0
    22. North Alabama 4-1
    23. Presbyterian (S.C.) 5-1
    24. Tarleton State (Texas) 4-1
    25. Washburn (Kan.) 5-1

D2Football.com Top-25 Poll (Oct. 4, 2005)
    1. North Dakota 6-0
    2. Grand Valley State (Mich.) 5-0
    3. South Dakota 6-0
    4. Valdosta State (Ga.) 5-1
    5. Saginaw Valley State (Mich.) 5-0
    6. Northwest Missouri State 5-1
    7. Bloomsburg (Pa.) 6-0
    8. Michigan Tech 5-0
    9. Arkansas Tech 5-0
    10. Northwood (Mich.) 5-1
    11. Edinboro (Pa.) 4-1
    12. East Stroudsburg (Pa.) 4-1
    13. Texas A&M-Kingsville 4-1
    14. Nebraska-Omaha 4-1
    15. West Texas A&M 6-
    16. North Alabama 4-1
    17. Carson-Newman (Tenn.) 4-1
    18. St. Cloud State (Minn.) 5-1
    19. Washburn (Kan.) 5-1
    20. Albany State (Ga.) 4-1
    21. Pittsburg State (Kan.) 4-2
    22. Presbyterian (S.C.) 5-1
    23. Shepherd (W. Va.) 6-0
    24. St. Augustine’s (Fla.) 6-0
    25. Delta State 3-3

Re: South Dakota Football Team Jumps to Fifth in A

Not to be mean, but who cares?  Here is a link to the USD section of the Argus forum, it is the closest thing the Yotes have to a fan board, enjoy:

http://www.argusleaderonline.com/for...splay.php?f=53

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
      Not to be mean, but who cares?  Here is a link to the USD section of the Argus forum, it is the closest thing the Yotes have to a fan board, enjoy:

http://www.argusleaderonline.com/for...splay.php?f=53

Go State!  ;D
      Ditto, 89rabbit.....

Comment

Too bad UND didn't go DI too,

usdII could have been rated 4th.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

I'll be impressed when USD beats UNDII but until then I still think they (UNDII) are the top kernal of corn in the pile of crap that is Division II football.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonmike
            I'll be impressed when USD beats UNDII but until then I still think they (UNDII) are the top kernal of corn in the pile of crap that is Division II football.

So that means that your entire history of success and national championships at the D2 level mean absolutely nothing now. Since that is the case SDSU now has the better program since they are 1-0 all time against the Bison. What a hypocrital post. It's amazing how quick people forget their roots.
            How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

I have not forgotten my memories of D2. I am glad that we have moved on.  As far as USD vs SDSU matchups in men's bb, the years of 1956-58 are very vivid and were the best of my lifetime as a fan. Both schools were at their best. Also 1963 was tops for SDSU, but not for USD in BB, just as 1957-58 was not for SDSU.

I am happy that USD is still undefeated in football. The NCC schedule has to be less stressful with 6 opponents as opposed to 9 a few years back.  

It seems about week 6 or so, injuries start taking their toll, so if USD has none at this point they should knock on wood and enjoy the reast of the season.
              ;D  Go State and lets take UCD to the wood shed.

BTW, the last time I visited Bison Sports Arena at NDSU, they were displaying all their D2 hardware, so as far as most in Fargo, the NDSU VS SDSU series is not 0-1 in SDSU's favor.

Comment

USD jumped to 5th in this poll but jumped to 1st in the most recent fundraising competition. They got an 8.7 million dollar gift this week from a benefactor who apparently didn't think not being d1 was all that bad. Largest donation in the history of SD higher education. Thank you to the late Mr and Mrs Matthew Faithe. Try to top that JAcks!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigjake
                  USD jumped to 5th in this poll but jumped to 1st in the most recent fundraising competition.  They got an 8.7 million dollar gift this week from a benefactor who apparently didn't think not being d1 was all that bad.  Largest donation in the history of SD higher education.  Thank you to the late Mr and Mrs Matthew Faithe.  Try to top that JAcks!!
                  And not a penny of that for athletics.

I think that's just a good thing for SD higher education.  Med students can now have another avenue to help pay for school.  Now, let the med school debates ensue.

Boredom set in after our game. A not so quick search shows that USD's opponents are a combined 13-32 this season, with a few of the victories coming against common opponents (ex. Okla Panhandle State).
                  I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

That would be South Dakotas JV team

Comment

USD jumped to 5th in this poll but jumped to 1st in the most recent fundraising competition.  They got an 8.7 million dollar gift this week from a benefactor who apparently didn't think not being d1 was all that bad.  Largest donation in the history of SD higher education.  Thank you to the late Mr and Mrs Matthew Faithe.  Try to top that JAcks!!
                      Grasping at straws, spitballs from the nosebleed seats, peanut gallery, add whatever cliche for inferiority you want and bj defines it.

The gift is a good one for all S. Dakotans. Each institution defines itself differently and has different goals. The majority of the money will go towards the medical school, none for athletics, minimal for general funds.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Too bad little or none of that money will go towards general fees. Looks like USD could use it.

http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aber...s/12853780.htm

USD student center delayed because of higher costs
                        DORIS HAUGEN
                        Associated Press

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - The University of South Dakota has delayed work on a new $15 million student center because of rising construction costs and other expenses, but the project itself remains on track, administrators say.

The university planned to close the 40-year-old Coyote Student Center in January and start demolition work in February, said Greg Redlin, USD's vice president for finance and administration at the Vermillion school.......

To pay for it, USD has proposed a $4.95 per credit hour increase in the general activity fee, which is charged to all students. Also, USD's food service provider and the company that runs the bookstore have said they will donate money toward the center.

Charles Rose, of Charles Rose Architects Inc. in Somerville, Mass., said he did not have specific numbers for the USD project. But overall, building material costs have risen in the last six months, he said......

Earlier this year, USD asked the Legislature to contribute about $2 million toward construction of a new medical school after bids for that project came in higher than expected. Increased costs for steel, insulation and other construction materials were listed as the main reasons.

By delaying the student center project, USD hopes to avoid a similar legislative request, said Redlin.

"We just don't want to get caught ... we're being cautious of the timing of this as well," he said.

Mike Reger, vice president of administration at South Dakota State University, said the Brookings school has not had to delay or trim any building projects because of higher construction costs.

Two big building projects at SDSU - a residence hall and the student center - were bid before costs starting going up, he said.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan

So that means that your entire history of success and national championships at the D2 level mean absolutely nothing now.  Since that is the case SDSU now has the better program since they are 1-0 all time against the Bison.  What a hypocrital post.  It's amazing how quick people forget their roots.  
                          My comment should not be viewed as hypocrytical. D2 football is what it is, a lower division. I have thought that NDSU should move to a divsion one since the early 90's when the real decline of D2 started. Limits on scholies, the diluting of the division by D3 and NAIA schools moving into it, and the recent expansion of playoff teams all point towards it's mediocracy. D2 was a great division, emphasis on the was. And I'm not saying that the instant NDSU moved to the DI-AA was the moment D2 turned to crap, it has been decaying for at least a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonmike
                            I rest my case.

Comment

Not to knock USD but in reading all the reports on the USD-SCSU game, it seems USD on more than one occasion killed their offensive drives with penalties and dumb ones at that. It certainly questions the new discipline and order that the new coaching regime as installed at Vermillion.  The O line is a veteran group of seniors etc.  Clipping blocks should not be occurring but they did happen Saturday. Bring on the Yotes, I think the Jacks could handle them with out any extra effort. ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X