Nice win Rabbitts, but......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice win Rabbitts, but......

only 4,000 people showed up to watch you lay the wood to SUU? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? UNO drew over 5,100 to watch us throttle Minnesota State. That is two weeks in a row that more people watched our game than yours. If I am not mistaken haven't you accussed us of fan apathy? ? ? ? ? People in glass houses should not throw stones!!! Haven't you learned you have to add some silly name in front of your game to get people to come. At first I didn't understand why you did that but now it is becoming clear to me. You could be playing some Class C Nebraska High School team for Red Neck Days and 10,000 people would show up. What is a shame is your team is actually playing halfway decent. Now I actually think your game against NDSU could be somewhat close , although I still think you will lose. Congrats again to your team, but shame on your fans.

Mavs #1

Re: Nice win Rabbitts, but......

I was expecting "Nice win Rabbitts (spelled incorrectly, by the way), but.....I'm an idiot."

Never mind. Just read your post again and that's basically what is says. Continue on.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
      Congrats again to your team, but shame on your fans.
      I can't argue with that one. Our students just didn't show up today.

Comment

When I was in college in the mid 70's everybody I knew went to the games and we always had a really nice turnout. Nowadays kids have a lot more entertainment options and they choose to use them. The seminal event I believe happened with the advent of all these highly entertaining video games and computer games. Before they came out you used to see young kids in neighborhoods and older ones attending games. Now kids just stay inside and vegetate in front of their games. That is why so many kids (even little ones) have middle aged spreads on them well before they should and why so many college kids don't attend games any longer. I would be numb in front of media that long but it must be a generational thing bc most young people today are fed a tremendous of media crap every day after relentless day and seem to enjoy it.
        The other week they did an interview with a husker player named zach potter. He admitted to playing computer and video games 5 hours a day most everyday. I think a lot of kids do that nowadays to the detriment of other more worthwhile social activities on campus. It is not just sdsu or uno but lots of other places, too. The days of having tons of students at most games on campuses (minus the d1 programs where fb is a happening) has gone the way of rabbit ear antenna's.

Comment

Mav 1, has a solid point, seriously, maybe we should stop and think before we spout our mouths off about how many people come to our games. We've just made Jack***** of our selves after these past two games. We all point fingers, blaming the students, advertising, having to drive a ways to make it to the game, etc...I think we all should nut up and put up or shut up!

Comment

Theres no spouting, we have already outdrawn UNO & USD for the year and we still have a game left at home.

Last year our first year in transition, we only had four home games and broke all of our previous attendance records.

This years oddity of eight home games has been a major factor the last couple of games.  People do have other things to do each Saturday and with so many home dates they must pick and choose.

When the schedule balances off, which should fall in line starting next season there will be less home games.
            This in-turn will generate more fan support home game to home game because of less frequency at CAS.

This should be of no suprise to anyone. There is no lack of interest generated here, maybe just not a family or student priorty every weekend.

As far as the lesser U's game in Verm town, I am glad they had a good turn out, they should of with a piece of the conf. title on the line.  Sorry they didnt make the playoffs...then again that is what weak scheduling does to good teams...just a fact.

The truth is I am D@mn glad that USD KICKED THE REAR OUT OF UNO AND UND.  I hope we back it up with a pile drivng on NDSU next Saturday, then finally SD can tell our brothers up north that we got them on both levels, (besides just in BB) for once.

GO JACKS!

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
              Mav 1, has a solid point, seriously, maybe we should stop and think before we spout our mouths off about how many people come to our games. We've just made Jack***** of our selves after these past two games. We all point fingers, blaming the students, advertising, having to drive a ways to make it to the game, etc...I think we all should nut up and put up or shut up!
              Den shut you up but just wanted to make sure you heard him. Change your name or go away. You are no supporter of SDSU.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

As a Yote fan I was disapointed but not suprised (weak non conference) but we did our part with UND. Good luck next week and complete the sweep. After next week the ND schools hope for a victory against SD schools rapidly drop (bb)

Comment

Sorry Jackmd, I don't have the time to post everyday, I am a student here and I do love the Jacks, and I'll say what I feel should be said. It's my opinion and that only. I feel that the attendance is horrible and calling out the students for one, which has been done on this board, is bull. I'm not saying that you have posted that personally, but I have seen it on this board. I agree with everything Rabbitden said except for the spouting off. There has been nose rubbing with attendance numbers in previous weeks. Unfortunately it came right back in our face simple as that. I ask to you, Jackmd, is that an unfair statement? I will admit that I was probably a little unclear in my previous post. I can assure you though, I will not "shut-up" , just like yourself I can post my harmless opinions on this board. I am fan and who are you to judge that? I feel no ill will towards you or anyone else on this board. I just hoped to maybe clarrify.

Comment

I posted this under it's own thread but it applies here as well so .  .  .

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                    There has been a lot of talk about football attendance lately with people telling us what they "think" it means, but I had not run across any facts so I thought I would look them up.  The D-II schools have completed their regular seasons while the D-I schools continue on.

Home attendance to date:

SDSU

53,896 - Avg. per game of 7,699

USD

45,587 - Avg. per game of 7,598

UNO

29,900 - Avg. per game of 4,983

These figures were taken from each school's web site.  This of course opens up the question of how each school account for their attendance (lots of round numbers at USD and UNO), but setting that aside for  now SDSU has the largest turnout in terms of total numbers (with one game to go) and the highest Avg. turnout per game.  Just thought we might enjoy the facts.

Go State!  ;D
                    Our friends from UNO have along ways to go before they should be questioning us about attendance. :

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Just a thought... if the athletic department is so concerned about attendance (from what Stig has said, it could very well be), why don't the Jacks advertise on radio and TV?

We've got a great product, but like I heard on a radio ad, "If you have the best product in the world and you don't advertise, the only thing you'll have is the best product in the word." I know advertising may sound a little "tasteless", after all, I'm one of these people that think that we get a good game at CAS, we should easily take in 10-thousand.

But that's just the "eternal optimist" in me.

Fact is, folks, SDSU has to compete for fans and their money. When you have major league sports just four hours away and pro sports just an hour away, you have to fight to make your voice heard. The argument that "they should show up because they go to SDSU or are alumni, or they are fans" simply does not work. USD has been doing it with their advertising on Billboards, radio and TV. When State played UC-Davis at Howard Wood, how much adverstising went out?

Answer: not much, if any.

So I have a few ideas...

1) Increase the advertising, especially in television and newspaper. Advertising just on WNAX and Brookings Radio simply won't cut it... ya gotta hit the "big markets", i.e. Sioux Falls and Rapid City.

2) Get some games televised! USD had some games broadcast on KELO this season and SDPTV even carried the UNO-Augie game. Why the heck should SDSU be shut out? I realize that most broadcasts (at least in radio) is time that is essentially bought by the schools, since advertising doesn't always cover the costs. If that's the case with the TV broadcasts (speculating here), why not "buy some time" and get a game or two on, to show people what we have and why they should come out.

3) Bring back the coach's show! That's what I planned for each Sunday during high school. I wouldn't go to sleep (or start homework, in some cases) untill I watch Coach Daly's or Coach Stig's show. That way, we can get some more highlights in and really promote the program, as well as the school.

Okay, I'm going to wrap this up, hold your applause for now! Basically, I think we're doing an excellent job building up our program to become a very solid D-I program. The roots are definitely taking hold and we are getting noticed. Now, we need to do a little "self-promotion." I know that's tough to do (after all most of us are upper-midwestern Scandinavian types who don't like to blow our own horns), but it will benefit us in the long run with increased attendance, increased fan support and an even brighter image for South Dakota State University.

I appreciate your comments, questions, or the ubiquitous "You're a stupid moron" statements!
                      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

jackrabit1= your a stupid moron im just kidding This is my experience with SDSU sports. when i first moved to brookings, i never gave SDSU a second thought about sports .I did not see any ads for games that i ever recall (Maybe i was just a moron ) If i remember right i went to the game just because i was bored .Now i am a whiner only two games left this year and im just plain crabby about that . My point is that i dont attend something without it usually being flashed in my face. Even after i became fan it was very hard to find info about games . if i missed the story i would have to search hard for it , that took effort, so sometimes i just quite .Then i found the internet sites , now i can find every bit of info i want about the JACKS or about the opposing team. My point is that there are a lot of morons out there like me who could became JACKRABBIT fans but dont know it yet. The obvious has to be shown to the public, otherwise joepublic is not going to look at it. The only reason i went to my first game was because of boredom, and i just showed up at stadium not even sure if there was a game that day. GO BIG, GO BLUE, GO JACKS.

Comment

Which adds to my point, were-rabbit. If you're living in Brookings and NOT hearing about the games, how do we expect to get people in from across the state without advertising it?
                          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I'm amazed the number of people on a Saturday in Brookings who are totally oblivious that a football game is going on in town.

Comment

When we win this weekend at NDSU, there should be major attempts to get people out to the game to see the Jacks fight for a conference title in one of the top-5 strongest conferences in D1AA. I know Chris Solari stops by the site once in a while. I hope he would spearhead a big push in the Argus.
                              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                              X