I'm taking all bets that...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm taking all bets that...

SDSU doesn't play the Huskers as close as UNO did last night. Save the talk of exhibition game. I was standing courtside last night and UNL played their top 10 players the whole game. The Husker fans were chewing their finger nails late in the game as UNO had a shot to take the lead with 30 seconds left. UNO was terrible from the free throw line or they probably win the game. Let me see... You struggle to beat Morningside at home and UNO almost beats the Huskers on the road. I know you were lucky not to play us last year because we would have spanked you but I am not so sure you would beat us this year. It should be an interesting year. Go Mavs!!!

Mavs#1

LINCOLN - Nebraska won't be accused of getting anyone's hopes too high after its first men's basketball exhibition of the season.

The Huskers built leads of 15 points in the first half and 18 in the second half against Division II UNO, but struggled to the end Monday night to hang on for a 70-65 victory before an estimated crowd of 5,100 at the Devaney Center.

"I'm extremely upset with the way we played," NU senior forward Jason Dourisseau said. "That was just terrible.

"The turnovers, the defense, the lack of rebounding - you name it, they pretty much did it to us. We almost let it get away."

Nebraska freshman Marcus Walker, who started at point guard, made up for missing his first eight shots by playing strong down the stretch.

After the University of Nebraska at Omaha closed to 62-60 with 3:48 left on guard Jamaal Byers' third 3-pointer in a three-minute stretch, Walker nailed two free throws.

UNO cut the gap to 64-63 on forward Ryan Curtis' layup. Then the Mavericks misfired on a backdoor lob that would have given them the lead.

Walker responded with a driving basket with 1:13 to go to push the Huskers' lead back to three points.

UNO twice had chances to tie, but missed shots with 37 and 30 seconds left. Walker, 1 of 8 from the field but 6 of 6 on free throws, then nailed two more foul shots to secure the win.

"He was really good for us the last four minutes," Nebraska coach Barry Collier said. "He has great confidence and a lot of youthful enthusiasm, although sometimes he's maybe a little naive as well."

UNO, which won 23 games last year and likely will be the favorite in the North Central Conference, took a 13-11 lead early in the game.

Then Nebraska showed a trapping defense in the halfcourt and went on a 19-2 run to take a 15-point lead. In that 14-possession stretch, UNO committed nine turnovers and missed 5 of 6 shots.

"I'd love to have that seven minutes back," Mavericks coach Derrin Hansen said. An 8-for-19 performance at the free-throw line also derailed any upset hopes.

Nebraska got 12 points and 10 rebounds from Joe McCray, but he shot 33 percent and committed five turnovers with no assists. Newcomer B.J. Walker, a junior college forward, had the toughest shooting night, going 1 for 10.

UNO got 12 points each from Curtis, a senior from Millard South, and Denny Johnston, a sophomore from Omaha Westside.

"Our bodies played a lot faster than our brains," Collier said. "UNO was really aggressive and prepared. After the initial impact our pressure had, we couldn't sustain that. So we need to get in better shape."

Re: I'm taking all bets that...

It's so cute when D-II schools get so fired up over exhibition games.  You tell your coach and AD to call us and ask really nicely (you know pretty please with sugar on top) and maybe someday you will get to come to Frost Arena again for a game that counts.  

It must be hard when the game with the most recognizable program on your schedule doesn’t count.  Best of luck this year with your D-II aspirations.

Go State!  ;D

P.S.  You know if you make it all the way to the D-II National Championship game you guys could be on National TV.  Did I mention the Jackrabbits are on National TV three times in the month of November?  8)

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
       Did I mention the Jackrabbits are on National TV three times in the month of November?  8)

If you find it cool to watch your team get schooled on a national stage I guess that is OK. I can see you cheering your rabbits on in front of the TV to keep it within 40 points. Man what Fun : : I honestly wish we would play you this year. Anytime, Anywhere. Again you guys are more concerned about seeing your name on the ESPN ticker than you are about winning. Different mindset but to each his own. I will stick to getting excited about winning.

Mavs#1

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1

I will stick to getting excited about winning.

Mavs#1
        Mavs D-II,

Seems to me that you are very excited about losing.  You started a thread on another school's fan board to tell us all about how the Cornhuskers beat you in an exhibition game.  :

Go State!  ;D

P.S. Maybe you should change your signature line to read . . . UNO where we care about playing D-I schools close in exhibition games. . .

Comment

So let me get this straight. Mavs #1 makes a separate post about how UNO almost won a game and we're supposed to give a rip? Also, this is the same Mavs#1 who spends his free time giving dedicated SDSU fans crap about getting excited over our close losses? I know it shouldn't shock me that you constantly contradict yourself with your continuous chirpings, but it does nothing but make you look dumb (not that it's hard, mind you.) The reality is, UNO would still get worked over by SDSU in hoops. Here's hoping UNO has a great season full of "almost" wins.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

From the article you posted, Mavs#1 Dufus, I can see why you'd be thrilled ... sounds like the Huskers really brought their A-game.  Gotta love Dourisseau's quotes about how well they played.  Didn't see a whole lot (none) of credit given to how well the mavs played.

Good luck in the watered-down NCC.
            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne
              From the article you posted, Mavs#1 Dufus, I can see why you'd be thrilled ... sounds like the Huskers really brought their A-game.  Gotta love Dourisseau's quotes about how well they played.  Didn't see a whole lot (none) of credit given to how well the mavs played.

Good luck in the watered-down NCC.

Of course they are not going to give UNO credit in the paper. That would make them look bad. Barry Collier on his post gave show did give UNO credit and said they were very well coached and said they would have a great year again.

The post was to see if someone had the nads to bet me that SDSU would play them closer. What no confidence in the team? ? ? ? ? ? I made the prediction that we would play them closer than you before we played them. Don't post if you do play them closer (which you won't) and start bragging. Call your shot now! ! ! !

Mavs#1

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1

Of course they are not going to give UNO credit in the paper. That would make them look bad. Barry Collier on his post gave show did give UNO credit and said they were very well coached and said they would have a great year again.

The post was to see if someone had the nads to bet me that SDSU would play them closer. What no confidence  in the team?  ? ?  ? ? ? I made the prediction that we would play them closer than you before we played them. Don't post if you do play them closer (which you won't) and start bragging. Call your shot now! ! ! !

Mavs#1
                I guess there is only one 12 year old (or adults with the intellect of a 12 year old) posting today. Hence no takers.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

What's at stake...

Jacks play Huskers closer and you go away? Or how 'bout this. Jacks play to 5 pts or better and you're exiled for 6 months from the date of the game. Jacks win and you're gone forever. Jacks lose by 6 or more and I'll allow 89rabbit to exile me for 6 months. Is that what you're looking for? You post a hell of a lot more than I do, so I think you've got more to lose in this bet.
                  I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Hello...where'd you go Mav#1? You were here when I posted and for a good 10 minutes after, but now you're gone. Didn't you think anyone would actually take you serious and put something on the line? Heck, my wife would love it if I was forced off of here for 6 months. Would make her over joyed. Maybe you're just thinking this over a little. Or, maybe the Huskers are really that bad and you're afraid the Jacks might pull an upset. Lets see how you respond.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
                        how 'bout this. Jacks play to 5 pts or better and you're exiled for 6 months from the date of the game. Jacks lose by 6 or more and I'll allow 89rabbit  to exile me for 6 months. Is that what you're looking for?  You post a hell of a lot more than I do, so I think you've got more to lose in this bet.

Game on Catchem All Jacks play the Huskers within 4 points (they have to do better) and I will be exciled for six months Jacks lose by more than six points and your exciled. 5 point loss is a draw.

Are you listening 89? ? ?

Mavs #1

Comment

I'm good with that, but you ignored what happens if the Jacks win. Are you willing to go away for good should we pull a W out of Lincoln?

Comment

Sometimes you feel like a nut, and sometimes you nut up and take one for the team.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
                            I'm good with that, but you ignored what happens if the Jacks win. Are you willing to go away for good should we pull a W out of Lincoln?

No! Even a blind pig finds an apple once in awhile.
                            I enjoy running smack here to much to risk that.

Comment

Hey I will take that bet. If the Huskers lose to SDSU I will NEVER again post on this site. I will also not morph myself into something else either. The huskers are going to be good with some good big people and marcus walker can really play. No way will they lose to sdsu.
                              But if you lose by more than five points then any of you "pie in the sky guys" need to come on this site and publicly state that uno probably has a better team than your beloved Jacks. I don't think anybody on this site has the nerve to do that. Huskers by 20.
                              Note to 89 Rabbit - you have got to be the flat out most optimistic person I have ever seen outside of Anthony "personal power" Robbins. The jacks can stink up the place in basketball and lose to morningside and they can draw 5k against a legendary d1aa fb and they can have no reasonable hope of a real league and you can still find a silver lining in everything. That is amazing to me.
                              PS- I will post one last time if UNL loses to give you a big mea culpa and your props. No way is that going to happen. I will be there for sure on that Thurs. nite

Comment

Working...
                              X