Pre-emptive smack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-emptive smack

I see that while we were playing Kentucky yesterday, UNO was losing to Alaska-Anchorage to bring their record to 1-2 on the season. Now in fairness, UNO is good, and that game isn't a good indication of their prospects. The night before, they lost to a good Southern Indiana team in a close one. And I would expect UNO to win a lot of games this year and once again challenge for the NCC title and a D2 playoff birth.

That said, I hope that Jake and Mavs will defer to Tubby Smith, who knows a thing or two about basketball, before they pass judgment on the Jacks' chances this season:

"I was impressed with South Dakota State’s athleticism, especially Ben Beran. I thought that he was an outstanding shooter who did some good things. He got his shots off quickly and our press was nonexistent against them. We’ve got to make the open shots. They didn’t always go down today. I thought that after we scored, South Dakota State was as good as anybody that we’ve played at in-bounding the ball quickly and getting it up the court."

Re: Pre-emptive smack

I think SDSU is going to get better with each game. Having the Kentucky and Illinois games first helps a great deal. I good way to digest your turkey dinner is to make to the SEMO game on Nov 24. Its one we can win at home. And remember that frickin guy who threw in the last bucket in Cape Girardo? Lets see if he is grinning this year on the day after Turkey day.

UNO without McKenna will be interesting. One of the best IMO, but he is now at Creighton.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

UNO without McKenna will be interesting. One of the best IMO, but he is now at Creighton.

SDSU fan,

No doubt that Mckenna's leaving is a major blow. There is alot of leftover talent so in the near term the program will do well. But in the long term that is left to be seen.

OK Rabbit

Your game against Kentucky was somewhat impressive and good exposure for program and fans. I will say that the game for Kentucky was an easy one to overlook and for SDSU it was very easy to get sky high. UNO mens basketball had some trouble down in Orlando but that is a tough tournament with some highly ranked teams. Other than that the weekend was a great one for the Mavs. Our hockey team swept the #6 ranked Michigan State Spartans at their rink!!!! Not only do we play top ten teams we beat them as well. ;D ;D. Our Soccer team made it to the quarterfinals of the National Tournament and our volleyball team is going to regionals next weekend. Our football team enjoyed the bye week and gets ready for a home date on Saturday. So all is well in Maverick land.
      Again nice showing against the Kentucky Wildcats and I do think your mens team is going to do much better this year.

Mavs #1

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
        I think SDSU is going to get better with each game. Having the Kentucky and Illinois games first helps a great deal. I good way to digest your turkey dinner is to make to the SEMO game on Nov 24. Its one we can win at home. And remember that frickin guy who threw in the last bucket in Cape Girardo?  Lets see if he is grinning this year on the day after Turkey day.

Thank heavens, it appears that Mike Frickin' Nelke graduated, or left, or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1

OK Rabbit

Your game against Kentucky was somewhat impressive and good exposure for program and fans. I will say that the game for Kentucky was an easy one to overlook and for SDSU it was very easy to get sky high.  UNO mens basketball had some trouble down in Orlando but that is a tough tournament with some highly ranked teams.
                                       Mavs #1
          You don't have to tell us. We won that tournament our last year in D-II and one of the teams we beat along the way was the eventual National Champion that year, Kennesaw State (they have also since moved to D-I).

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
            Thank heavens, it appears that Mike Frickin' Nelke graduated, or left, or something.

But he will always be able to tell the grandkids about the time he hit his first basket of the year as the buzzer sounded off that earned him the nickname Mike "Frickin"
            Nelke.

Comment

But he will always be able to tell the grandkids about the time he hit his first basket of the year as the buzzer sounded off that earned him the nickname Mike "Frickin"
              Nelke.
              I had forgotten that it was his first bucket of the year. Frickin' Nelke.

Comment

I'm glad Mike "frickin" Nelke graduated. I'm not sure I could have handled his mug on the sidelines at FROST ARENA after my turkey dinner.

Comment

I'd love to see Mav#1 in a Nelke T-shirt on the sidelines next Thursday.

Will we be able to enjoy a celebration beverage in Brookings that night? I suspect some of the local establishments will be open.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                    I'd love to see Mav#1 in a Nelke T-shirt on the sidelines next Thursday.

Jack MD,

I might do you one better. I might bring Frickin Nelke himself. After I explain to him that he is now in the same category to rabbit fans as Bucky Dent and Bill Buckner is to Red Sox fans, I have no doubt that he will come. I will make sure he brings that chessy arse grin of his. Keeping with the holiday sprit... I would even root for the rabbits. How do you like that?? See you later have to go call Nelke.

Mavs#1

Comment

Jack MD,

I might do you one better. I might bring Frickin Nelke himself. After I explain to him that he is now in the same category to rabbit fans as Bucky Dent and Bill Buckner is to Red Sox fans, I have no doubt that he will come. I will make sure he brings that chessy arse grin of his. Keeping with the holiday sprit... I would even root for the rabbits. How do you like that?? See you later have to go call Nelke.

Mavs#1
                      Now that would be great. I'll buy you and Frickin' a beer after the game.

Comment

Working...
                      X