X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How sweet it is!!!!!!

12/3/2005
    MAVS ARE CHAMPS!
    WICHITA FALLS, Texas - It may have taken three minutes extra to do it, but the Mavericks completed a seven-year journey by winning their first national championship Saturday afternoon at the Midwestern State University Soccer Field. Sophomore forward Brandie Beale riffled a high shot over the goalkeeper's head and into the back of the net 3:03 into overtime to break a 1-1 tie and give Nebraska-Omaha its first women's soccer championship. The Mavs (20-2-0) defeated Seattle Pacific, 2-1, and handed the Falcons their first loss of the year as they completed their fourth straight trip to the final four with a victory and championship trophy.

"This has been four years coming for us," said head coach Don Klosterman after his team battled back from a 1-0 deficit for the second straight game. "These guys don't quit. They've shown it every single game."

Klosterman started the Maverick soccer program seven years ago and has seen his team fall in the final four each of the last three years.

After falling behind early from a SPU goal at 7:24 from Megan Lienhard, junior midfielder Amber Richardson lofted a shot up and into the wind from about 30 yards out. Falcon goalkeeper Jennifer Burns got a hand up and on the ball, but it bounced off her finger tips, onto the crossbar and came down for the game-tying goal.

"With the wind, you just have to shoot the ball and take a chance," said Richardson, an all-tournament team member who finished the season with seven goals.

After tying the game, the Mavs were able to control the flow for most of the first half. The Mavs had a 9-3 advantage on shots in the opening period and were able to battle off Seattle Pacific's chances. With 20 minutes remaining before intermission, freshman defender Whitney Telschaw headed one of SPU's eight corner kicks out of the box that was headed for the goal.

In the second half the Mavs weren't able to create the chances they got at first and SPU was able to a put lot of pressure on UNO that half. Late in regulation Klosterman pulled one of his three forwards back into the midfield to try and create chances.

"We thought we needed a little more help in the midfield," said Klosterman. "It seemed to give us some more support and we were able to win some balls."

The shift gave the Mavs a big opportunity to win the game before the first 90 minutes ran out. With seven remaining, Beale took a the ball through the box and shot it into the hands of a diving Burns.

Beale got another chance just three minutes into the Mavs' first and only overtime of the year. Freshman midfielder Tara Wegehaupt threw the ball in near midfield to Richardson. The junior sent the ball forward to Beale who fired the ball in for her fifth game-winner and 13th goal of the year. She was named the offensive MVP of the tournament after she finished with nine points.

The Mavs, who are now 13-3-1 all-time in the NCAA tournament, will be taking home their first championship trophy to go along with a second- and two third-place trophies.

Senior goalkeeper Amy Price, who made five saves, including a diving one with 10:40 left in regulation, was named the tournament's defensive MVP. Senior defender Meghan Pile, freshman forward Amanda Iwansky, McGill and Richardson were also named to the all-tournament team.

Price, Pile, defender Becca Fritz and midfielder Christen Boeckel all graduate with the championship trophy after playing in all four final fours for the Mavs.

""It's awesome," said Pile. "It's the only way to go out."

Re: How sweet it is!!!!!!

Funny, I dont recall seeing this on the news today, or even on any ticker. The Dallas stations are really good at covering any sporting event in the area and Wichita Falls is definetly in the area. Are you really sure this happened? Did anyone witness this so called D2 womens soccer match? I have my doubts...

Comment

MavD2, That is a flat out great post. I need to get moving to the Sapp to go to our championship rally for the soccer team!!

Comment

Hurry boys get there quick all 30 of UNO's soccer fans are going to be there

Comment

Can you say National Champions!!

Comment

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Comment

Congrats to the UNO women on a national title. It's no small feat to win a national title in any sport at any level.

Comment

I have to echo OKJacks congratulations. I know that this is a "smack" board but these young ladies have accomplished something that very few people ever experience. I offer my sincere congratulations to the team and the entire university.

WRJ

Comment

a very aesthetically pleasing team if I do say so myself.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by JackTwice
                    Hurry boys get there quick all 30 of UNO's soccer fans are going to be there
                    UNO fans welcome home the dII national champs.

A little watered down isn't it?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

MavD2, Another outstanding post. My 2 favorite things about this site are
                      1. your tremendous posts - obviously others feel that way - your posts get a lot of replies.
                      2. But easily the most fun I have on this site is when the Jack fans start fighting among themselves. Think it is really amusing to see them already up in arms about men's bb and the season isn't even 1/3 done. In all probability the criticisms are going to get worse as are both the coaches and the fan's frustrations. By the end of Thursday night's game Coach Nagy will probably be slumped in his chair so dejected he will have to be helped out of Devaney.
                      Boys, I have sat thru 1-10 Mav fb seasons and 4-22 Mavs bb seasons and I know it is frustrating as heck. But your road to mediocrity will be much much harder than our road was and it will be interesting to see how you do in the future.
                      Prepare for a real beating Thurs in Lincoln. The Huskers lost against Al-Birmingham the other day and they should have won. They will be hungry on Thurs.
                      Keep up the Jackrabbit fan tussles - they are a lot of fun to outsiders. Now 89 has to keep order both on the smack board and among his own supporters. It is going to be a long winter on this board and it is going to require all the "Tony Robinesque" motivation to keep your supporters pumped up. Good luck.

Comment

Before my departure, let me just say this to our UNO friends, congratulations on the NC as that is always a special accomplishment no matter what the sport and what the division. Now, STFU!
                        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Catch-em-all

Love the avatar. Nothing like animal and the Muppets.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
                            Catch-em-all

Love the avatar. Nothing like animal and the Muppets.
                            You can have it during my exhile if you like.
                            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Our wager had nothing to do with YOU being exiled. Check your past posts. It was me being exiled if unl lost and you saying that uno is probably better than sdsu if sdsu gets beat by more than the 5 points that UNO did.  It has nothing to do with you (catch em all) being exiled.  I would hate to see an sdsu supporter exiled from his own board.  Now if I am exiled (and I am pretty sure I won't be) I will just have to hang out more on d2fb.com.

Comment

Working...
                              X