Close, but no cigar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close, but no cigar.

Hate to see you go catch-em-all. See you back in six months. At least your wife will be happy. Save the exhibition talk. We played them closer. If you don't think they were looking past you to Creighton you are fooling yourself. That game has been sold out for two weeks. Over 16,000 will be there. Not a bad showing by the rabbits but you are still 1-8 ouch   . If it makes you feel any better... South Dakota lost to Morningside too.

Mavs#1

Re: Close, but no cigar.

I'm a man of my word. See you June 8th. Now STFU and GFY Mav#1.
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Almighty Mav...you really think you played the Huskers better?  You are more of a dreamer than I thought you were.  Go back and look at the stats for the exhibition game between the mavs and the Huskers and then compare them to tonights game.

Look at the minutes played and then who did the scoring, look at the rebounding, take a close look, I think you will find a difference in the two games.

Trust me, the coach was not over looking this game and the players found out real quick that they better not.  It might of been overlooked by the fans but this game meant much more to the Huskers than your game did.  If it didnt, the Huskers should just get rid of their staff now because this one counts on the books yours didnt.

The only way we are ever going to prove this is by the two teams playing (Jacks vs. Mavs).  This obviously isnt going to happen because you mean nothing to us or the rest of Div.I.

Get a life, get off the crack and go bother someone other than us.

I'd love to settle this like we use to in the past but lets face it, we have moved on and you will always be wading in the kiddy pool.

P.S.
      Catch-em-all, as far as I am concerned you dont need to go anywhere. Your post add substance to these threads...Mavs or BJ's (whoever she is), is nothing but a wanabe athlete that never got to prove herself as a kid.
      Basically a BLOW-HARD!

**Catch-em, you can always PM me, I like your input.

Comment

Rabbitden that was an excellent post. Truely excellent. Without you and Catchem all, this board would not be what it is today.

I can't believe that MavD2 and Big Fake are actually comparing the results of an exhibition game to a real game. Give me a break, nobody cares who won an exhibition game. Do you really think Nebraska went all out to beat UNO? Hardly.

Just look at the Indianapolis Colts, they lost all 5 of their exhibition games this year and are 12-0 in the regular season. During the regular season, teams really play to win. During the exhibition season, teams play their second and third stringers. Heck, the NCAA allows you to play Freshmen, that will never play again that year because they are redshirted. Exhibition games are purely for entertainment and for working out kinks before the real games count.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

I was at that game and the score was closer than it actually was. SDSU never threatened to win the game unlike UNO.
          SDSU's offense is fun to watch - they move and screen constantly. They have good coaching but not many d1 caliber players who you are going to win with. That is not as much smack as it is true.
          I don't know if they are better than uno but I would suspect the game would be close.
          The crowd was more into the game against uno than it was against sdsu.
          I counted about 12 people who had sdsu gear on. But I was sitting up with the proletariat so I may have missed some.
          I don't know what is worse - having to play york and peru state and not have a challenge or being beaten down by all the d1 big boys and really not being that competitive. If you ask me it is 2 lousy choices.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
            I'm a man of my word. See you June 8th. Now STFU and GFY Mav#1.

Right back at you Catch-em-all. Feel free to respond back to this post. Oh my bad, I forgot you can't respond for six months. I will miss your avatar more than I will miss you. Maybe our next bet can be when your football team wins its next championship. I am guessing around 2063 when you celebrate the 100th anniversary of your last one. Now the Huskers can concentrate on Creighton, the team that they were really thinking about last night.

Mavs#1

Comment

Like I said, if you don't think Nebraska was looking past this game you might be Tony Robbins. Oh yeah, most of you are : : :

LINCOLN - No one on the Nebraska men's basketball team Thursday night would admit to having "Creighton fever."

But the Huskers appeared distracted by something during stretches of a 76-67 victory over 1-7 South Dakota State before an estimated 5,200 fans at the Devaney Center.

"We played well in spurts," NU coach Barry Collier.

But the Huskers were outrebounded 49-45 by the Jackrabbits, and shot 42.9 percent from the field and 55.7 percent from the free-throw line.

Collier said his players hadn't been talking out loud about Sunday's matchup with instate rival Creighton.

"But it's really tough to read people's minds," he said. "I can't really point to a reason why we didn't have more intensity."

NU's intensity the first eight minutes was nearly nonexistent.

At that point, the scoreboard looked like a thermometer. The numbers on display were 8 and 4 - with the 4 on the home side.

"We tried a really big lineup to start the game," Collier said. "This might not have been the game to do that. The next one might not be, either."

Collier benched shooting guard Joe McCray, used Charles Richardson at the point instead of Marcus Walker and used his three big men - 6-foot-11 Aleks Maric, 6-10 Wes Wilkinson and 6-9 B.J. Walker - together with 6-6 Jason Dourisseau.

That plan lasted about three minutes.

Maric drew two quick fouls, which brought McCray off the bench. The sophomore, hitting only 26.8 percent from the field, responded with his best shooting performance of the season (5 for 10) and scored 12 points.

The Huskers (6-1) hope that's the start of something great for McCray, last year's leading scorer.

"I wish you could have seen him in practice yesterday," Wilkinson said. "He didn't miss - at all. That's the old Joe.

"He's going to be back. He's going to keep shooting the ball."

Wilkinson is firing away pretty well himself.

He finished with 17 points and 10 rebounds. His averages over the past four games are 18.5 points and 10.5 rebounds.

Nebraska needed Wilkinson's work, B.J. Walker's eight points and 11 rebounds and Dourisseau's 12 points and nine rebounds because South Dakota State, which just lost its leading scorer to a season-ending injury, wouldn't go away.

"I was frustrated because I felt like we gave the game away," SDSU coach Scott Nagy said. "We had three or four turnovers at the end of the first half. We should have been up eight at half."

Instead, the Jackrabbits trailed by eight, 34-26.

Nebraska used the hot hands of Wilkinson and McCray to build a 64-47 lead with 8:06 left. Four minutes later, the margin had dropped from 17 to seven, and the Jackrabbits had the ball. But Wilkinson's 3-pointer with 2:59 left sealed the win.

"I am proud of our kids," SDSU's Nagy said, "but I don't want them to settle for losing at Nebraska."

As for Nebraska, now the focus can officially turn to Creighton and a sellout crowd of 15,000 for the 1 p.m. game at Qwest Center Omaha.

"It's great that we'll have a big crowd," Collier said. "It will be more like a Big 12-atmosphere road game.

"We'll need to play well - probably our best game - in order to win in that environment."

Complete box score

Comment

And as was said before UNO played Nebraska in an exhibition game.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjake
                  I don't know what is worse - having to play york and peru state and not have a challenge or being beaten down by all the d1 big boys and really not being that competitive.  If you ask me it is 2 lousy choices.
                  That is easy, it is better to be us. Let's take a quick look.

Last night

SDSU beats Wisconsin by 3 in Women's Basketball in front of 4,670.

SDSU Men lost by 9 to Nebraska in front of 9,147

Dec. 6th

UNO's Men beat York by 50 in front of 150 people

Go State! ;D

Comment

Just for fun let's do some math.  Let's assume that there really were 150 people at Sapp Fields house (another nice round numbers), let's also assume that everyone not only paid to get in but bought Res. seats at $10 a pop.  That means the UNO Men's Basketball team had revenues of $1,500 before expenses on Dec. 6th.  If we also assume that everyone spent $6 dollars on concessions ($900 dollars total) that takes our over all total to a whopping $2,400, before expenses. :-[  Wow, UNO don't go spending your "profits" all in one place now.  :  

Go State!  ;D

P.S. I wonder why UNO doesn't have a fan board  ???

Comment

The day is coming when Nebraska won't want to schedule SDSU (or UNO for that matter) in basketball because they won't get a guaranteed home win. Non-conference home games for large schools like NU are for two things.........money and wins.

However, I think it is safe to assume that the only way the Huskers will ever make the NCAA tourney in the near future is if they somehow win the conference tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

SDSU Men lost by 9 to Nebraska in front of 9,147

;D

Not sure where you got that number but the Omaha World Hearld says there wasn't quite that many.

But the Huskers appeared distracted by something during stretches of a 76-67 victory over 1-7 South Dakota State before an estimated 5,200 fans at the Devaney Center

Comment

The Number came from the University of Nebraska website:

http://www.huskersnside.com//pdf5/25...;DB_OEM_ID=100

Just like the numbers for you whopping 150 fans came from the UNO website:

http://gomavs.unomaha.edu/archived_s.../2005/york.htm

Maybe all you Nebraskans lie about how many fans are at your game, I don't know.

Go State! ;D

Comment

The official stat sheet says 9,147, could be a typo...does happen.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

Maybe all you Nebraskans lie about how many fans are at your game, I don't know.  

Go State!  ;D

Nebraskan's lie? ? ? ? Never ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X