• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In defense of Augustanta's Fine Student Body

Here is an Argus letter to chew on:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...602150310/1053

Fan behavior

Article Published: 02/15/06, 2:55 am

Every college student or alum recognizes that their particular institution of higher learning has certain rites of passage. For some, it may be the burning of the bum or the occasional homecoming riot. For others, it is the large off-campus parties where alcohol is served to 117 underage students, and for others it is the throwing of dead animals such as rabbits or coyotes.

I am glad that North Dakota State University went Division I simply to avoid the sight of Augustana students trying to throw a bison.

The idea that we get the Lutheran clergy involved, as one letter suggests, is absurd. However, if that is necessary, I suggest that they begin with a sermon on hypocrisy, followed by a lesson on "Let they who are without sin cast the first whiskey bottle (USD vs. SDSU)."

Each of these great institutions contributes to the overall good of society and the quality of life for all of us in South Dakota. Each institution has produced countless community and nationa l leaders. Congratulations to all and let's lighten up a bit.

James M. Greenfield, Sioux Falls

Re: In defense of Augustanta's Fine Student Body

Not impressed with that come-back.

Maybe they don't realize the difference between a private or public institution. Also the difference in an Administration helping or stopping that kind of behavior. Sure SDSU fans have had their moment, but have always thought that they were a few classes above USD and Augie.

Comment

I guess the difference in my mind between the Hobo Day Riot and a USD's recruiting party, and the Augie animal toss (es) is that the first two happen on private property where the Universities in question had little or no control the later happens at sporting events sponsored by the University in question, in which they are responsible for the security of the event.

Another glaring difference between the examples sited by the writer of this letter is how these events are perceived.  The Hobo Day Riot and USD's recruiting party are not "rites of passage" they were unfortunate events that no one wants repeated.  It does seem that the bad behavior shown by Augie's students at athletic events is condoned or maybe even viewed as a positive sign of "school spirit" (AKA a "rite of passage&quot.   Perhaps it is time for Augie to find more constructive traditions.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Well said.

Comment

Colleges are filled with young people. There are times when young people do stupid things. No institution is immune from these stupid things.

Pompous individuals, riding high horses, like to joyfully point out unfortunate situations at rival institutions and then draw idiotic conclusions.

Comment

Working...
          X