Bison Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bison Fans

This past football season and basketball seasons have really left me with some negative impressions of Bison fans. I'm beginning to understand why they have a reputation of being arrogant.

Anyone else see this or is it just me?

Re: Bison Fans

Well when we beat them in football last year, we were a little arrogant also. Besides, them beating the Jacks by 30 on their home court was probably the second biggest victory for their team this year and may have been the second biggest victory their program has had in the past 5 or 10 years. Take it as a compliment that they would be that excited to beat us.

When they won the Dakota Marker this year, they were really jacked up about it. They should be. Let them talk themselves up a little, it will be a much harder fall for them when we beat them next year.

Go State!!! ;D ;D ;D
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

I think if the situation were reversed (re: football and men's basketball) that there would be the same thing going the other direction. In case you didn't know, SDSU fans also have a reputation for a certain degree of arrogance.

To some extent I consider the current men's basketball struggles a bit of penance that SDSU fans are going through for that arrogance. All that means is that the success to come will be so much sweeter when it happens.

If you want an antidote to Bison Arrogance, go over to bisonville and look at some of the women's basketball threads. Judging from those posts, they probably should stay away from firearms and sharp objects, for their own good.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

It's more than just those victories, I can live with those.  It's them talking about how U of Minn is scared to play them in basketball after they upset Wisconsin.  It's them talking about how they should just skip finding a DIAA conference and jump to a DIA football conference.

edit: to clarify for FargoBison, I changed DI to DIA

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
          It's more than just those victories, I can live with those. It's them talking about how U of Minn is scared to play them in basketball after they upset Wisconsin. It's them talking about how they should just skip finding a DIAA conference and jump to a DI football conference.
          Actually jumping straight to I-A is not a completely wacko idea.

It has large elements of wacko but isn't completely wacko.

My guess is that it would probably be no more difficult to get a Sun Belt or WAC membership than it would be to get into the Big Sky, for instance. In the case of the Sun Belt, it might even be somewhat easier.

Both Coughlin and the Fargodome are minimal I-A facilities. Coughlin is actually a somewhat better facility to support a I-A move than is the Fargodome, as it would be much easier to expand CAS when/if needed.

Still, it's a pretty wacko idea.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

It's more than just those victories, I can live with those.  It's them talking about how U of Minn is scared to play them in basketball after they upset Wisconsin.  It's them talking about how they should just skip finding a DIAA conference and jump to a DI football conference.
            We are already in a DI football conference and so is SDSU and it was pretty much one person saying Minnesota is afraid of us which is of course a veiwpoint far from reality. There are a few arrogant fans over at Bisonville.com but there will always be a few at any program that has the success that a school like NDSU has had.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert

Actually jumping straight to I-A is not a completely wacko idea.

It has large elements of wacko but isn't completely wacko.

My guess is that it would probably be no more difficult to get a Sun Belt or WAC membership than it would be to get into the Big Sky, for instance.  In the case of the Sun Belt, it might even be somewhat easier.

Both Coughlin and the Fargodome are minimal I-A facilities.  Coughlin is actually a somewhat better facility to support a I-A move than is the Fargodome, as it would be much easier to expand CAS when/if needed.

Still, it's a pretty wacko idea.
              There has been talk of NDSU going IA....in 10-15 years. Eventually NDSU may outgrow the FargoDome becuase both the city and the school are growing at a pretty good clip. Right now it is a bit wacko but schools like Idaho and Troy are IA and if going there gets NDSU in a conference it is something that merits disscussion. NDSU could do alright in IA and if the WAC needs members I don't see why NDSU and it's fans shouldn't show interest. I would like for NDSU to stay in IAA and potentially win a few titles and build up a bigger fan base before moving up but if the WAC invited NDSU in it's conference(not too likely) the school should jump quickly. If NDSU and SDSU got in the WAC the DI door would slam shut on USD and UND because IA is something neither university could do.

Comment

DIA football? Unlikely, we would need some 22 more full scholarships and another 22 for the women? Even the great NDSU would have a hard time to come up with that money. 10 to 20 thousand average attendance is on the small end of DIA attendance. I'd also rather play for championships where are teams have control over whether they get a chance or not. Having a chance to win the Motor City bowl or the Music City Bowl, or any other unimportant bowl just doesn't seem appealing to me. Ask the Gophers how great those bowl games are.

Comment

This past football season and basketball seasons have really left me with some negative impressions of Bison fans.  I'm beginning to understand why they have a reputation of being arrogant.

Anyone else see this or is it just me?
                  I can see where a person would get that impression if they only read a select group of posts. On the other hand they may also get that impression of fans from any school when they associate pride in a program and its successes with arrogance. I would hope that isn't the case but as one other person already said you can pick any board or school and find those who are arrogant. In either case I'm glad that SDSU made the move with NDSU at the same time rather then any other of the old NCC schools. As far as arrogance is concerned all it takes is one win or loss to either make it worse or better. Looking forward to next years games already.

Comment

I guess Im a BISON fan but Im confused about this arrogance thing.

I expected a huge win in the BSA this yr and got it. Why is that arrogant?

Just because I expect the Dakota Marker to stay in Fargo for the foreseeable future (can you say ever) is no measure of arrogance either. I think its more a recognition of fact and we all hope you keep it close sometimes, its more fun that way!

Going DI-A is a real possibility for us. We are picking up some valuable scheduling experience with the Gophers knocking down the door to get us in the Metro Dome and of course Ball State seeking us out was a bit of an honor. I think that makes it obvious enough that we really dont need any experience in DI-AA and could move up right now and dominate some games.

Its a matter of time and much closer than many people are thinking when the Fabulous Fargo Dome, the best stadium in DI-AA, will be outgrown and the BISON will move outside into 30,000 seats and move up to DI-A football. We could easily go independent like Notre Dame.

The plus for you is the annual guarantee game in Fargo. Come up the weathers fine!

I just cant understand the arrogance charge. Where does that come from? :

(written as a joke on the main premise of thread.) 8)
                    www.bisonsports.net

www.gobison.com

Comment

This doesn't really have much to do with this thread, but I was looking at last year's attendance figures for the Great West and was thinking how cool it was that the 2 State schools were leading the pack with 84K and 54K (or around those numbers) respectively. Those numbers, especially the 84K impressed me. Then, I remembered Michigan often plays in front of single game crowds in the neighborhood of 100K. Boggles the mind.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

One other thing. That attendance figure would be 1/6 of the entire population of SD and 1/5 of the entire population of ND.
                        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                        X