PDA

View Full Version : Men's Basketball attendance

89rabbit
02-25-2006, 10:20 PM
Well the regular seasons are over with so the final results are in . . .

http://gojacks.sdstate.edu/mbbstats2006.htm

SDSU - Avg. 2,070 per home game

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/mbball/stats.asp?PAGE_ID=110&SEASON=

USD - Avg. 1,979 per home game

http://gomavs.unomaha.edu/archived_stats/men_basketball/2005/teamcume.htm

UNO - Avg. 1,111 per home game

Go State! ;D

P.S. The Jackrabbit Women have one more home game to play, but here is what their numbers look like so far.

http://gojacks.sdstate.edu/wbbstats2006.htm

SDSU Women - Avg. 1,889 per home game

Mavericks#1
02-26-2006, 06:03 AM
89 Rabbit,

You are proud of these numbers??? All three schools should be embarrased by these numbers.

89rabbit
02-26-2006, 07:09 AM
No not proud just posting facts. I will say I remember certain D-II fans boasting that although their pre-conference attendance numbers were pathetic, that they would blow past us once the NCC season and the "big" crowds that brings began.

I wonder if Craig and Mike will spend an hour talking about what is wrong with USD's attendance? (rhetorical question)

Mav I threw your attendacne in just because you guys post a lot. Yours has always been pathetic and you actually did better then I thought you would. Way to break 1,000! :o (Of course your guys use the look around the gym and report whatever you feel like method so who knows how many really went to your games).

Face it if you couldn't beat SDSU when the team had a losing record, had turmoil, had a schedule (because of our transtional status) that wasn't conducive to large crowds (many games when the students were not even on campus), no conference to play for, etc. then you never will. This year was your chance and you blew it.

Go State! ;D

SiouxFallsJack
02-26-2006, 08:51 AM
Looking at their schedule I noticed uno largest crowd was 2250 against Doane. How do you draw more for Doane than any NCC game ???

JBB123
02-26-2006, 08:54 AM
Probably a lot of Doane fans?

MAVPOWER
02-26-2006, 10:31 AM
The Doane game was Boystown day at UNO with every kid from Boystown there that day. 1500 of that crowd was from Boystown. The bad news was that most of the tix were comps - the good news was that each boystown kid was given 5 dollars for refreshments by their booster club and whatever else they wanted to spend. UNO made a killing on refreshments that day so it was definitely a plus. Refreshment line was a mile long all day.
Compare us to our D1 sport in hockey and we beat you hands down. Not even close and I would imagine our price per ticket is higher than your price per ticket.

89rabbit
02-26-2006, 10:52 AM
So, I guess, your point is that people in Omaha only care about D-I sports and UNO has to bribe little kids to get them to come and watch your D-II sports. :-[ Thanks for the update. Tell me again why you think D-II is a good thing.

South Dakota State University - D-I in everything we do! 8)

Go State! ;D

thebluehatman
02-26-2006, 11:20 AM
comparing basketball prices here to uno's hockey prices i see that its 11 and 13 dollars for for basketball and 12 and 15 dollars for basketball not much of a margin oh well who really cares.

89rabbit
02-26-2006, 11:24 AM
You also have to wonder how much UNO pays to rent the Quest center? Makes you wonder if UNO's Hockey program breaks even?

Go State! ;D

SiouxFallsJack
02-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Can one include womens hockey? I thought womens sports were just fluff around the edges? ;D

89rabbit
02-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Can one include womens hockey? I thought womens sports were just fluff around the edges? ;D

My mistake, I assumed like UND that UNO has women's hockey to stay Title IX compliant. However not being a big follower of the Lone Cows this assumption was wrong.

UNO offers the following sports ONLY to Women

Cross Country
Golf
Swimming and Diving
Tennis
Track

Since they don't offer Men's teams in any of those sports they don't need Women's Hockey. I guess they believe in the USD model of, cut Men's programs rather then expand everyone's opportunities to stay Title IX compliant.

Go State! ;D

Mavericks#1
02-26-2006, 02:12 PM
I am so crushed that UNO does not have Womens Equestrian team. Why can't we be like SDSU? ::) ::)

89rabbit
02-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Why can't we be like SDSU?

That is a good question with an easy answer. SDSU is a Land Grant, Flagship University with a statewide mission. UNO is not. In your state the University of Nebraska - Lincoln is the Land Grant, Flagship University.

Here is a link to the history of the Morrill Act of 1862 in case you would like to become more educated:

http://www.higher-ed.org/resources/morrill_acts.htm

Here is a map showing all the Land Grant schools in the USA:

http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/technical/land/lgif/m2784l.gif

SDSU is in some pretty good company don't you think?

South Dakota State University - D-I in everything we do. 8)

Go State! ;D

MAVPOWER
02-26-2006, 05:23 PM
I can honestly say in 15 years of attending UNO games I have NEVER heard even one person say they wished we had men's golf, tennis, swimming, diving, and or track. In fact if it were up to me I would cut baseball, too but for some reason they want to play that sport. Maybe there is a huge groundswell of support for those sports in SD.

89rabbit
02-26-2006, 08:52 PM
I can honestly say in 15 years of attending UNO games I have NEVER heard even one person say they wished we had men's golf, tennis, swimming, diving, and or track. In fact if it were up to me I would cut baseball, too but for some reason they want to play that sport. Maybe there is a huge groundswell of support for those sports in SD.

The first thought that comes to mind is that with so few people attending UNO events is it any wonder that the subject of Men's Cross Country, Golf, Swimming & Diving, Tennis, and Track has never come up.

In my circles at SDSU games (a much larger number, to be sure) I have met many people who are very interested in these sports. We have members on this board whose #1 concern, as far as SDSU athletics is concerned, include sports in this group.

One of my buddies back in the day was on the swim team, my life would have been different had I not known him. How about the US Olympic team, would it have been different had Rod DeHaven not gone to SDSU. Hard to say but one thing is for sure that Rod's time at State participating in both Men's Cross Country and Track helped get him ready for the 2000 Olympic games in Sydney, and now he has returned to his Alma Mater to help the next generation of both Men's and Women's Cross Country and Track athletes.

Mavpower (Big Jake), you and your pals my not see the need for a diversified athletics department. One that offers opportunity for many athletes, but I do and I am glad that my University does. I guess that is one of the differences between you and me and our two Universities.

Go State! ;D

mitchellrabbit
03-02-2006, 03:46 AM
looks like they packed the dome for the first round of the ncc playoffs down in vermillion. 2362. WOW!!!!

filbert
03-02-2006, 06:28 AM
Yeah, at this rate they might at some point have to consider playing their games in some structure other than the giant grain bin they currently play in. I hear that they've got a copy of Kansas City's Sprint Center blueprints, now all they need is $300 million from Tom Brokaw and they'll be breaking ground. Or wind . . . I had trouble hearing that part.

Has anybody mentioned recently how bad the D-Dome sucks for basketball?

You know, the only thing I miss about the NCC is how astonishingly easy it was to run smack at the other schools. I guess that's just another benefit of conference membership.

Bring on New Jersey Tech!

(Extra-credit essay question: Did I just run smack on ourselves just now? If so, was it funny? Discuss . . .)

SF_Rabbit_Fan
03-02-2006, 07:06 AM
I saw a mini pic of a USD player on the front page of the Argus yesterday, and it was the first time I have even thought about USD for months.

After seeing the level of competition the Jacks have played this year, USD seems so irrelevant. :)

Coyote_Fan
03-03-2006, 01:08 AM
It's amazing how so many Jackrabbit fans are so proud of the competition they have played against since moving to D1. There is no college basketball team in America at any level that would not be able to take the court against good competition. It's one thing to play against good competition. It's another thing to win against good competion. Until SDSU starts to win against good competion who really cares who they are playing. D1 or not the state of Jackrabbit basketball is in major disarray and it's rather humorous actually. At least USD runs a clean program and is competitive at it, unlike the blue and yellow.

You can play D1 all you want but if your constantly failing in doing so there is no accomplishment in that.

Mavericks#1
03-03-2006, 04:35 AM
It's amazing how so many Jackrabbit fans are so proud of the competition they have played against since moving to D1. There is no college basketball team in America at any level that would not be able to take the court against good competition. It's one thing to play against good competition. It's another thing to win against good competion. Until SDSU starts to win against good competion who really cares who they are playing. D1 or not the state of Jackrabbit basketball is in major disarray and it's rather humorous actually. At least USD runs a clean program and is competitive at it, unlike the blue and yellow.

You can play D1 all you want but if your constantly failing in doing so there is no accomplishment in that.

Coyote Fan,

Great Post, but these rabbit fans could care less about winning. Don't you know they are a land grant university? ::) That is what matters to them. Seeing their name across the ESPN ticker is what they are all about. Getting blown out and having players get in trouble means nothing to them. They could go winless in all sports and they wouldn't care. The fact that they are D1 and we are not and that they are land grant university's and we are not is all that matters to them. They should just remove the scoreboards from all of their athletic venues because they just don't care. Weird I know, but to each his own.

Mavs#1

Rabbitden
03-03-2006, 04:38 AM
Yote_Fan,

I thought I would get on here and lash back at you for your ignorance but then it struck me. :-X

Your no different than Gaypower, BJ, or DII Mav! :'(

GO JACKS!

Alumguy
03-03-2006, 04:38 AM
Typical coyote fan. They like to think of themselves as a leading liberal arts college. Then, the only thing they care about is men's basketball and football. Yes, that's some real learning going on in Vermillion.

If I'm not mistaken, our women's basketball team (in two years) has defeated the Crimson Tide (twice), Kentucky (yes, the REAL Kentucky), Nebraska, Wisconsin, Oklahoma State and others. Are those big enough names for you?

Oh, in the small minds of some, women's athletics do not count. There are a lot of people who need to come out of their caves and realize it's the year 2006.

Have we taken a few lumps on the men's side? You bet. It hurts but we are going to get better. And when we get better, USD will continue to fade in our rear view mirrors ... all alone ... isolated in Vermillion ... a bunch of small minded thinkers.

Alumguy
03-03-2006, 04:41 AM
Oh ... I see Mavericks#1 has weighed in. He's a second cousin to Torg who lives three caves down from Coyote_Fan.

Rabbitden
03-03-2006, 04:59 AM
Now to you MavDII,

How in the HE(double toothpick) would you know what we want?

You are a sore spot in my side because you do not understand the process. You just get on here to stir the kettle. You have proven time-and-time again that you have no knowledge of 80% of the crap that comes from your brain.

YOU my freind are a loser that depends on the media for all of your info. You do not take the time to research anything that you boast. By the way...that is something you do learn in most upper educational institutions. Researching the background before delivering the information.

I respect some of Yote_fan's comments because I do like the school. I have a nephew going to school there right now because of there PT degree. I also have many fine freinds that received their degrees there because of their fields of study. They are a different type of institution than SDSU and do a nice job with what they have.

You on the other hand did not even attend UNO if I remember right?

Now that I said that, I invite you to come up to the Bird Cage in Sioux Falls later this year for one of our baseball games with KSU. I would love to meet you face-to-face to talk about your sincere stupidity. You cant miss me, ask anyone if they know where MR. Clean is...they'll point me out and we can have a very intelligent informing conversation in one of the suites.

You feel me froggy?

P.S.
Bring Gaypower along, that is if he is someone different.
I feel I know enough about the former Div. II and the NCC as well as this transition period to hold my own with the two of you? :o

GO JACKS!

Mavericks#1
03-03-2006, 05:24 AM
You on the other hand did not even attend UNO if I remember right?

You feel me froggy?

Rabbit Den,

If you had done your research on this board you would have found out that I did graduate from UNO. Teach what you preach in regards to opening your pie hole before you get the facts.

As far as calling me out... be careful that your mouth writes a check that your arse can't cover. I wouldn't bring Mavpower into the mix. I have seen that dude and he isn't someone that I would want to run into a in dark alley. Now I have to leave you to concentrate on my Mavericks as they make runs in conference tournaments as well as making their mark on the national level.

Mavs#1

Rabbitden
03-03-2006, 05:39 AM
First of all Mav...I did put a question mark next to that question so it shows I was unsure of that comment.

Now as far as calling you out...I was speaking of a nice intelligent conversation talking about institutions over a totie as most educated men do. :-/

But now that you seem to want to throw on the gloves...I'm hare and I will jump...I'm not a scared little rabbit myself...trust me on this one, I think you are moooing up the wrong tree...I dont care who you bring!
You and Gaypower are no diffrent than the hundreds that have ATTEMPTED to inflict discomfort on me before. >:(

Like I've said many times before...START YOUR OWN THREAD ON YOUR LONELY CALVES AND FREE US OF YOUR INSANITY! :-*

GO JACKS!

SDSUFAN
03-03-2006, 05:47 AM
**** (note) this a rooster crow, the message board software does not permit certain words, no matter what the context) a doodle do, we seem to have a early morning group eager to post about our basketball attendance.

If the action is all in the D2 NCC, why did we out average both? Something must be going right at SDSU.

I would like to see better attendence, but when we go to the tip of Texas, Edinburg to be exact, and our snowbirds show up with SDSU blue and yellow and out number the Texas-Pan American turnout in fans, it can not be all bad.

How many USD and UNO snowbirds got to see their teams play this winter? Lets see how many USD fans turn out at Bellingham Wash when they play UWW in football this fall or is it next fall, not sure. SDSU had 400 to 500 when we played their in 2001 or so. A WWU fan said to me the SDSU turnout was the largest that they had in a long time for a visiting team.

One big advantage of being D1 and playing in all these places that Yote fan does not care about, it gives our alums and former residents a chance to see the Jacks in action, something they have never had the chance to be part of when competeting at D2.

89rabbit
03-03-2006, 05:59 AM
All right boys, let's start with the basics. SDSU's Men's Program has 8 D-I wins. Probably the most impressive were Denver (NIT last year) and Central Florida (C-USA, on the road, NCAA Tourney last year). How many D-I wins did USD get? How about UNO? Let's put them together and see what we have? The answer is the same zero, nada, and zilch.

You guys did put up some impressive wins against Simpson (How is Homer?), Panhandle State, York, and Doane. Big time programs, household names I can see why you are so proud.

Last, I checked you boys finished 3rd and second to last in a watered down NCC (thank God for UND, huh Mav). UNO's team is already done for the year and it looks like USD's boys will have to run the tabel in the NCC post season tourney or you will be watching the playoffs, well not really watching your playoffs since they aren't on TV. You will be watching our Division's playoffs.

On the Women's side while we were beating Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Alabama your schools had some more impressive wins. How about York, Mount Marty (twice at the Dome, well done), Peru State, and Regis (I didn't know the hair cut place had a team). Now from what I understand the USD women are already done for the season as UNO beat them in the NCC tourney but it is a safe beat that like the men both schools will be watching the D-I playoffs on TV.

Finally let me offer some advice, you guys should really be looking for NSIC school boards to post on. Looks like Winona State and Northern State are the "power" schools in your region of your division.

http://campus.umr.edu/sports/regional.html

North Central Region

1. Fort Hays State (20-2)
2. Winona State (20-4)
3. Northern State (18-4)
4. Minnesota State-Mankato (20-6)
5. Nebraska-Kearney (17-6)
6. Fort Lewis (16-7)
7. Metropolitan State (14-8 )
8. St. Cloud State (16-8 )
9. Mesa State (17-8 )
10. South Dakota (16-7)

And you guys try and tell us that the NCC isn't watered down, the Northern Sun's second place team is ahead of the NCC's highest ranked team. ::) Heck even Nebraska-Kearney is on that list. It must be hard being the second best D-II team in your states I can see why you are so bitter when you get to our board.

You boys start your own boards, maybe it will drive some interest and you can help your schools raise some money and then you can pass the Wolves and Lopers and become the #1 D-II schools in your respective states. It is a good goal, you can thank me later. No need to worry about us we are the best D-I school in our state. ;)

Go State! ;D

89rabbit
03-03-2006, 06:04 AM
*From the Moderator

Let's knock off the "let's take it outside" talk please.

jackmd
03-03-2006, 08:51 AM
One question for yote and mav fans.

In the history of the NCC who has the most successful men's basketball program?

Siouxpreme
03-03-2006, 10:38 AM
One question for yote and mav fans.

In the history of the NCC who has the most successful men's basketball program?

The correct answer:

The University of North Dakota.

Has all-time winning record against SDSU, USD, NDSU, UNO, SCSU, MSUM, AC etc.

thebluehatman
03-03-2006, 11:02 AM
in response to Sioux's answer i checked the record book. for men's titles

UND has 21 conference titles
SDSU has 22 conference titles
NSDU has 10 conference titles
USD has 12 conference titles

WE are the most successful according to the NCC site. now granted that UND and USD have had 2 more years in the NCC since we went D1. thats not cool...moral of the story we were the cream of the crop of the NCC. :D

jackmd
03-03-2006, 11:32 AM
The correct answer:

The University of North Dakota.

Has all-time winning record against SDSU, USD, NDSU, UNO, SCSU, MSUM, AC etc.

I'll give you the all-time winning record, however you must consider other factors and I will make my point.

Look at the post-season, in some ways its close with both UND and SDSU having 6 regional titles.

In others its not, we have a championship and a runner-up finish, 24 post -season appearances and 36 wins vs 19 and 29 for UND.

I'd also wager we've spent more time in the national rankings than any other school in the NCC, although I can't support that with numbers right now.

Take it for what its worth, I would gladly present SDSU's case as the most successfull men's BB program in the NCC's history before any arbitrator.

Coyote_Fan
03-04-2006, 03:21 AM
[quote author=89rabbit link=board=Smack;num=1140934817;start=15#27 date=03/03/06 at 06:59:48]All right boys, let's start with the basics. SDSU's Men's Program has 8 D-I wins. Probably the most impressive were Denver (NIT last year) and Central Florida (C-USA, on the road, NCAA Tourney last year). How many D-I wins did USD get? How about UNO? Let's put them together and see what we have? The answer is the same zero, nada, and zilch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If USD had as many tries as SDSU has had over the last couple of years I can just about gaurentee you they would have more wins than SDSU has accumulated over the past 2 years. If you have about 25-30 D1 games and only win 8-10 of them it's not especially good considering many of those games were against the lowest echelon teams in D1. In basketball the teams that are lower than 150 on the RPI index are no better than the good D2 teams, especially the ones below 250. Case in point SDSU nearly lost to Southwest State on at Frost Arena. If the game was on a neutral floor the Mustangs probably would have won and if the games in Marshall they surely would have won. Considering that Southwest played SDSU better than many of the D1 teams did at Frost what does that say for the bottom tier of D1 basketball. Not much especially since they are a middle of the road NSIC team.

SDSU had much better teams before they moved to D1. They played harder and were just simply better. If my memory serves me right USD took that 2003-2004 SDSU team down for 2 losses in the same week and when it mattered the most, in the last week of the season and then in the NCC tourney. The 2005-2006 version of SDSU basketball would lose to the 2003-3004 version of SDSU basketball. For one thing the 03-03 version had a heck of alot more fan support and they had much more confidence as well.

One of the biggest reasons for the success of SDSU womens basketball at the D1 level is that generally around the country their is still little fan support for college womens basketball compared to mens. It is not a big focus around most major D1 campuses and having a winning program is not that big of a deal. If I remember correctly Aaron Johnson said on the radio that womens basketball is followed with more passion around the upper midwest than it is just about anywhere else in the country. It's not all that difficult to have a good womens program in D1, but with that said it's still a great accomplishment for the SDSU womens basketball team to have the success that they are having.

As far as womens basketball is concerned I am a bandwagon fan. I was never a loyal follower of the Coyote womens team in the past. I did have interest for about 2 or 3 years but now I don't care much anymore. I put most of my efforts into cheering on mens basketball and football which can be said for most fans of college sports.

89rabbit
03-04-2006, 06:36 AM
Silly Coyote fan you totally misunderstood the leason of Southwest Minnesota State (a team that beat your Coyotes - - SMSU 75 - USD 69), but I guess that is understandable after all you did go to USD.

SDSU a D-I team with just 5 scholarship players (not all of which were D-I recruits), 3 walk-ons, and 4 football players (that had practiced with the team 1 day) beat a fully loaded D-II team. That doesn't say much for your Division. Whether you believe it or not, there is a big difference between D-II and D-I. Don't believe me? Well, talk to your AD and coach, schedule some D-I games. Nothing is stopping you. UNI would be a close one or see if UMKC wants a game they are close also.

Like I said before you guys really need to worry about catching up with Northern State, the best D-II team in South Dakota, before you worry about what is going on with the "Big Boys".

Good luck today against St. Cloud State, although I have a feeling the Huskies are going to end your season.

South Dakota State University - - D-I in everything we do! 8)

Go State! ;D

P.S. Did you get a chance to read the Argus yesterday? If not I am sure you will enjoy this story:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060303/NEWS03/603030328/1001

SDSU ranked state's top research institute

From Staff Reports

Article Published: 03/3/06, 2:55 am

South Dakota State University has been ranked as the top research institution in the state by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.

Carnegie's rankings, released this week, reflect the number of doctoral programs, the breadth of institutional research programs, and funding generated in support of research, said Kevin Kephart, SDSU's vice president for research and dean of the graduate school.

Among the research it does, SDSU is the home of the Sun Grant Initiative, a national network of federally funded land-grant universities conducting research and educational programs on renewable energy and bio-based industries.

It also works in partnership with EROS Data Center and is home to the Geographic Information Science Center of Excellence.

Kind blows that whole "we are going to stay D-II and focus on academics" argument that your President made out of the water doesn’t it. :o

89rabbit
03-04-2006, 07:34 AM
Final Results are in

SDSU Men - Avg. 2,070 per home game

USD Men - Avg. 1,979 per home game

SDSU Women - Avg. 1,905 per home game

UNO Men - Avg. 1,111 per home game

Congratulations to the USD Men for just nipping our Women's program, better luck next year to our friends from UNO.

Go State! ;D

RodentiaX
03-04-2006, 07:40 AM
If USD had as many tries as SDSU has had over the last couple of years I can just about gaurentee you they would have more wins than SDSU has accumulated over the past 2 years.

Well, you would have to bite the bullet and move to D-I for USD to get to challenge themselves againsf D-I opponents. Maybe you would do better. But I guarantee you can't guarantee it.

jackmd
03-04-2006, 08:03 AM
Coyote_fan, please tell me your still in high school and this is the reason for your ignorance.

The NSIC is now the equivalent of the NCC, if not ahead of you. USD finished 1-2 against NSIC teams this year, including a loss to Southwest St. NSU and WSU are both ranked in the top 15 and hold secure spots in the post-season. When Bemidji St. wins the NSIC tourney, 3 teams from the NSIC will be in the regional.

Speculate all you want. Talk trash and try to bring us down. We are well aware of the current struggles of our men's BB team, but given our proud and strong tradition we are confident we will rebound.

Its what those who wish they were in someone elses shoes who make comments like the ones you have. Picking and choosing numbers and scenarios trying to defend their feeble ego.

Fact, we're DI, you're DII. Our history of success at the DII level greatly exceeds yours across the board (not speculation, fact). We have been down before and will be back up, its just a matter of time.

I know you'll keep you eye on us. You'll draw pleasure from our struggles and still remain envious. When we succeed you will down play it and say "we could have done the same". Well my friend, you aren't and if you didn't know, you can't do the same. Sucks to be you, dude, sucks to be you.

filbert
03-04-2006, 08:03 AM
All right boys, let's start with the basics. SDSU's Men's Program has 8 D-I wins. Probably the most impressive were Denver (NIT last year) and Central Florida (C-USA, on the road, NCAA Tourney last year). How many D-I wins did USD get? How about UNO? Let's put them together and see what we have? The answer is the same zero, nada, and zilch.

If USD had as many tries as SDSU has had over the last couple of years I can just about gaurentee you they would have more wins than SDSU has accumulated over the past 2 years.

(more meaningless drivel deleted)

If you go about guaranteeing things it might behoove you to learn how to spell the word.

Other than that, let's just say I don't bother arguing with D-II people any more. It's a little like what they say about wrestling pigs in the mud--you just get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jackmd
03-04-2006, 08:13 AM
Time to bring this topic back to the forefront.

Its for all those who are DII.

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=sdsuetc;action=display;num=107842491 6;start=

Here is part of the topic:

After reading all the posts from concerned USD, UND, UNO, and even timid SDSU fans (hereon referred to as "you"), I thought it was time to give all of you your own subject under which to post. DI envy seems most appropriate, after all it is jealousy that underlies the feelings expressed by those oppossed to SDSU's move.

Sure, there are feeling of inadequacy and inferiority also, but you can't blame us (SDSU supporters) for that. As a former first lady once said:

"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent."
Eleanor Roosevelt 1884-1962, American First

So, post away. Some of us welcome your concern and hope that you keep SDSU in the forefront. I am certain it also helps you deal with the feelings of inadequacy, inferiority and envy that have resulted from the bad choices you have made thus far in your life. No worries, I anticipate you'll continue to make the same poor decisions in the future.

So, wish us luck if you have the respect and self-esteem to do so. If you don't, do what you have to do to protect your fragile ego. We're going to be here regardless.

jackmd
03-04-2006, 08:18 AM
This is fact. Here is the all-sports honor roll from the last 20 plus years in the NCC.

I bolded the years that SDSU has won. Coyote_fan, why don't you go through and bold the years USD has won?

Looks like SDSU women 4, SDSU men 11 including 4 of the last 5 years as members of the NCC. You may also note the domination by the current DI schools. Let me help you out, UNI, NDSU and SDSU.

Womens All-Sports Honor Roll: 1982-83 South Dakota State, 1983-84 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1984-85 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1985-86 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1986-87 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1987-88 North Dakota State, 1988-89 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1989-90 North Dakota State, 1990-91 MSU, Mankato/North Dakota St., 1991-92 St. Cloud State, 1992-93 North Dakota, 1993-94 South Dakota State, 1994-95 South Dakota State, 1995-96 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1996-97 St. Cloud State/South Dakota State, 1997-98 Northern Colorado, 1998-99 North Dakota State, 1999-00 North Dakota State, 2000-01 North Dakota, 2001-02 North Dakota, 2002-03 Nebraska-Omaha, 2003-04 North Dakota.

Mens All-Sports Honor Roll: 1970-71 North Dakota St., 1971-72 Northern Iowa, 1972-73 Northern Iowa, 1973-74 Northern Iowa, 1974-75 Northern Iowa, 1975-76 Minnesota St., Mankato/South Dakota St., 1976-77 Northern Iowa, 1977-78 Northern Iowa, 1978-79 South Dakota St., 1979-80 South Dakota St., 1980-81 South Dakota St., 1981-82 North Dakota St., 1982-83 North Dakota St., 1983-84 North Dakota St., 1984-85 North Dakota St., 1985-86 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1986-87 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1987-88 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1988-89 North Dakota St., 1989-90 North Dakota St., 1990-91 North Dakota, 1991-92 South Dakota St., 1992-93 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1993-94 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1994-95 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1995-96 South Dakota St., 1996-97 South Dakota St., 1997-98 St. Cloud St., 1998-99 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1999-2000 South Dakota State, 2000-01 South Dakota State, 2001-02 South Dakota St., 2002-03 South Dakota State, 2003-04 North Dakota State.

I'll help you out, USD has never won, never. Just the facts, Jack.

UWMandSDSU
03-04-2006, 09:27 AM
Coyote_Fan: You have no clue. With regards to State playing the lowest echelon teams. Let me remind you who 11 our losses have been to: Kentucky (RPI: 33), Illinois (RPI: 11), Marquette (RPI:21), Wisconsin-Milwaukee (RPI:55 and Regular Season Horizon League Champs), Nebraska (RPI:104), Manhattan (RPI:81 MAAC Regular Season Champs), Minnesota (RPI:77), Butler (RPI:87), Utah State (RPI:48), Middle Tennessee State (RPI:103), San Diego State (RPI:62 Moutain West Regular Season Champs). I know SDSU Men's Basketball is having a down year, but there is a lot to look forward too.

MAVPOWER
03-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Filbert, You are right - we didn't have 9 d1 wins this year. In our D1 sport we had 19 and we are still counting. We also did it against upper echelon d1 schools with good sized budgets. Not exactly against pan american and my beloved roos. We also killed you in attendance and most of our fans are actual paying fans and not students who meander over to the game and just show their ID and come in. Our hockey fans pay for their seats. I would bet that the higher ups at sdsu are much more concerned about budget these days than the people at uno are. Finally, we are in a great league with the likes of OSU, Notre Dame, Michigan and Michigan State. Not exactly "bush league" universities. I am going to a playoff game tonite - most of you will probably be sitting in front of your computer tonite trying to figure out who is going to take UNC's place in that fledgling league of yours or else you will be on the MId COnt board thinking of far fetched scenarios where they will invite you into their league. It is great to be a winner in D1!!!
JackMD - are you really a real doctor or are you a doctor like Julius Erving. I always thought medical docs were busy. You post so often that it makes me wonder if you really are a doctor. Or maybe you are a PHD doc who is up in his "ivory tower" somewhere?
Finally, where has Okla Jackrabbit been lately. Maybe he got disillusioned with all the losing and gave up? Just wondering

filbert
03-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Filbert, You are right - we didn't have 9 d1 wins this year. In our D1 sport we had 19 and we are still counting. We also did it against upper echelon d1 schools with good sized budgets. Not exactly against pan american and my beloved roos. We also killed you in attendance and most of our fans are actual paying fans and not students who meander over to the game and just show their ID and come in. Our hockey fans pay for their seats. I would bet that the higher ups at sdsu are much more concerned about budget these days than the people at uno are. Finally, we are in a great league with the likes of OSU, Notre Dame, Michigan and Michigan State. Not exactly "bush league" universities. I am going to a playoff game tonite - most of you will probably be sitting in front of your computer tonite trying to figure out who is going to take UNC's place in that fledgling league of yours or else you will be on the MId COnt board thinking of far fetched scenarios where they will invite you into their league. It is great to be a winner in D1!!!
JackMD - are you really a real doctor or are you a doctor like Julius Erving. I always thought medical docs were busy. You post so often that it makes me wonder if you really are a doctor. Or maybe you are a PHD doc who is up in his "ivory tower" somewhere?
Finally, where has Okla Jackrabbit been lately. Maybe he got disillusioned with all the losing and gave up? Just wondering

Observe the pig. See as it attempts to entice others to wallow.

jackmd
03-04-2006, 12:06 PM

Those of us who are good at what we do, always find time to do what we want. ;)

Nice to know you're thinking about SDSU and it supporters all the time. Looking forward to your next post about DI sports and South Dakota State University.

P.S. This site does a nice job of keeping me out of that "Ivory Tower".

1bunnies
03-04-2006, 01:11 PM
D1 Hockey. Big Deal. The NHL took a whole year off and nobody missed it. How many NCAA hockey teams are there. 40? 50? It's not difficult to be at the top when there are so few programs.

89rabbit
03-04-2006, 02:47 PM

Good luck today against St. Cloud State, although I have a feeling the Huskies are going to end your season.

Go State! ;D

Looks like I was right, it will be up to the Northern State Wolves to carry the standard for South Dakota D-II Basketball.

St. Cloud St. 85 - USD 69.

Better luck next year.

Go State! ;D

filbert
03-04-2006, 03:02 PM
GO WOLVES!!! ;)

FargoBison
03-04-2006, 04:22 PM
Final Results are in

Congratulations to the USD Men for just nipping our Women's program, better luck next year to our friends from UNO.

Go State! ;D

NDSU's women are having their worst season in 20 some years and they even averaged 1,912. USD's men barely gets above both the SU's women teams, as for UNO that is just sad.

jackmd
03-04-2006, 09:03 PM
What a great win for the Tarheels!! Sorry its off topic but I just love the way UNC embarrassed the Dookies. Verm, too bad. I see at least 2 more losses for the devils, the ACC tourney and early in the NCAA. As for Carolina, can you say back-to-back? Not likely but they sure are playing well for a team that lost their top 7 scoreres.

As for the yotes, what did you expect? They are the yotes after all.

Good luck to the new creme of the crop in the upper midwest, the NSIC. Progress is necessary and we couldn't wait around. Soon enough DWU, USF, (insert a NAIA or DIII school) will be DII. Not for us.

Waiting for yote fans excuses while I watch the UNC victory over Duke again.

I wonder how many teams the Jacks played in BB this year will be in the NCAA tourney?

Rabbitlivinginverm
03-04-2006, 10:17 PM
What a great win for the Tarheels!! Sorry its off topic but I just love the way UNC embarrassed the Dookies. Verm, too bad. I see at least 2 more losses for the devils, the ACC tourney and early in the NCAA. As for Carolina, can you say back-to-back? Not likely but they sure are playing well for a team that lost their top 7 scoreres.

As for the yotes, what did you expect? They are the yotes after all.

Good luck to the new creme of the crop in the upper midwest, the NSIC. Progress is necessary and we couldn't wait around. Soon enough DWU, USF, (insert a NAIA or DIII school) will be DII. Not for us.

Waiting for yote fans excuses while I watch the UNC victory over Duke again.

I wonder how many teams the Jacks played in BB this year will be in the NCAA tourney?

It's never easy to come into Cameron and get a win; especially when you're doing it with freshman leading you. Good win for UNC. Looking forward to possibly two more matchups between the two this year. J.J. will catch fire once again.

Coyote_Fan
03-05-2006, 02:44 AM
[quote author=jackmd link=board=Smack;num=1140934817;start=30#37 date=03/04/06 at 09:03:21]Coyote_fan, please tell me your still in high school and this is the reason for your ignorance.

The NSIC is now the equivalent of the NCC, if not ahead of you. USD finished 1-2 against NSIC teams this year, including a loss to Southwest St. NSU and WSU are both ranked in the top 15 and hold secure spots in the post-season. When Bemidji St. wins the NSIC tourney, 3 teams from the NSIC will be in the regional.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to reason that I should be in high school then what does that mean for your education since you don't have your facts straight for one and for two you make bad assumptions with Bemidji St winning the NSIC tourney.

First of all without having to even think for more than 3 seconds I know for a fact that USD defeated Bemidji State and Wayne State making 1-2 and awfully difficult calculation for you to prove. Bemidji State isn't even close to as good (or at least consistant) as Northern let alone Winona St. They would have had to get by both teams on a neutral court/away court and do that with an inconsistant team which is what they are. They play great one night and terrible the next. They have been doing that all year, and I question your knowledge of that. Bemidji State got schooled last night by Northern.

I think someone else better go back to school. Maybe learn to check your facts before putting them in writing. Usually that is what educated people do.

Coyote_Fan
03-05-2006, 02:51 AM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Your the man Mavpower, your the man. Jackrabbit fans are proud of losing most of their Division 1 games and they will be proud of losing most of their Division 1 games 20 years from now.

Coyote_Fan
03-05-2006, 02:56 AM
Final Results are in

Go State! ;D

The facts prove one thing. The difference between SDSU mens basketball attendance and USD mens basketball attendance has shrunk in the last couple of years. If D1 was such a great thing SDSU would be doubling USD's attendance since D2 is supposed to be well below D1 in excitement, competition, etc. With USD losing many conference rivals in the past few years it is explainable that their attendance go down a bit. There is no excuse for SDSU, afterall this is supposed to be the big bad D1 of collegiate athletics.

JBNJBQ
03-05-2006, 05:23 AM

The facts prove one thing. The difference between SDSU mens basketball attendance and USD mens basketball attendance has shrunk in the last couple of years. If D1 was such a great thing SDSU would be doubling USD's attendance since D2 is supposed to be well below D1 in excitement, competition, etc. With USD losing many conference rivals in the past few years it is explainable that their attendance go down a bit. There is no excuse for SDSU, afterall this is supposed to be the big bad D1 of collegiate athletics.

To be fair with your "facts" you should subtract your womens games attendance from your mens numbers. You play double headers, we don't.

In fact you should probably divide all of your numbers by 2 since everyone knows that you guys estimate your crowds very "liberally" at usdII. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Rabbitden
03-05-2006, 05:33 AM
Yote, Yote, I stuck up for you in my last post but now you are using a very classic public relations ploy, (most recently displayed by the U.S. administration), which is called spinning.

Come on...you know we were going to struggle against these Div. I teams for awhile. Heck last year we knew as well as everyone else we were going to struggle against Div. II teams.

Nagy will get this team on track and our attendance will improve dramatically. I think you would even enjoy coming up to Brookville to enjoy a game. It is kinda fun watching some of this speed and talent these teams have. Besides, a cold one in the downtown district is always a good excuse isnt it? ;)

Hey, I like to read & watch how the wiley ones are doing. I mean they should be our No.#1 Div.II entity now. That is where USD decided to stay, lets make the best of it. We lost some good rivalrys too. We are building new ones as you will.

If you want to come up for a game some time PM me and I will gladly bring you to a game? You might be suprised how easy it is to enjoy the difference in competition.

I can not "Screw the U" as in the old days anymore because it makes no sence. I'll gladly jump on board to watch the Yotes "Stab the Mav", it has more reason to it.

I'm a South Dakotan first, my heart will stay with a SD team first, no matter the division.

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG? :D

GO JACKS and yes, GO YOTES!

89rabbit
03-05-2006, 08:00 AM
Like I said before you guys really need to worry about catching up with Northern State, the best D-II team in South Dakota, before you worry about what is going on with the "Big Boys".

Go State! ;D

West_River_Jack
03-05-2006, 08:04 AM

I can not "Screw the U" as in the old days anymore because it makes no sence. I'll gladly jump on board to watch the Yotes "Stab the Mav", it has more reason to it.

I'm a South Dakotan first, my heart will stay with a SD team first, no matter the division.

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG? :D

GO JACKS and yes, GO YOTES!

I second that -- in fact I've been saying it for a long time!

90Jackrabbit
03-05-2006, 08:23 AM
Coyote_Fan wrote:

I ran the attendance numbers throwing out usd's women's attendance for the double headers and came up with these numbers:

SDSU men's and women's total combined attendance: 43,893
usd's men's and women's total combined attendance: 31,301

Nope not doubling usd's attendance but 12,592 more fans showing up at Frost Arena is significant.

Jack
03-05-2006, 09:00 AM
ONe more thing to smack about the yotes. Pep band dosen't play for the women's games but plays for the mens' games. Guess women don't count down there.

Coyote_Fan
03-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Coyote fans don't care that much about their womens team and I dont care much about the womens team. So don't even bring that up into the discussion. It's obvious that SDSU fans care more about their womens team so give it a rest. USD cares about mens basketball and SDSU cares about womens basketball. It's not either right or wrong it's just how it is.

filbert
03-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Coyote fans don't care that much about their womens team and I dont care much about the womens team. So don't even bring that up into the discussion. It's obvious that SDSU fans care more about their womens team so give it a rest. USD cares about mens basketball and SDSU cares about womens basketball. It's not either right or wrong it's just how it is.

Hence USD's Title IX problem.

1bunnies
03-05-2006, 01:29 PM
SDSU cares about women's basketball, men's basketball and all their athletic teams. Is USD2 cared, maybe they would not have all the problems they have.

jackmd
03-06-2006, 08:01 AM

You may want to consider moving to Omaha. Anyone who truly cares about USD or South Dakota should be ashamed to have you associated with the institution or the state.

I had forgotten Wayne St. is in the NSIC (even that they were DII). So you split with Bemidji, beat Wayne, and lost to Southwest, 2-2 vs NSIC. My bad.

How hard was it to decide who to put in that 8th spot? Should have just left it open and given Winona a bye.

Anyways, good luck to the SD boys in the regional. If I wasn't headed to South Dakota this next week I would consider the short drive east to watch.

89rabbit
03-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Although I enjoy smacking our friends from Vermillion, I wish then, Northern State's Men, and Augie's Women the best of luck as they enter the D-II playoffs. Go South Dakota schools.

Go State! ;D

Rabbitden
03-06-2006, 09:47 AM
I agree, hope they all play well and represent SD proudly.

Rabbitlivinginverm
03-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Don't forget about USD's 82-83 loss to Morningside on 12/5/05 in the Dakota Dome. They drew 832 fans for team that's only 40 miles away.

By comparison we beat Morningside 80-67 in an exhibition game on 10/31/05 that drew 1,513 fans.

filbert
03-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Although I enjoy smacking our friends from Vermillion, I wish then, Northern State's Men, and Augie's Women the best of luck as they enter the D-II playoffs. Go South Dakota schools.

Go State! ;D

ditto.

SF_Rabbit_Fan
03-08-2006, 03:17 PM
While SDSU will have a chance to improve both its attendance and record next year, it will be virtually impossible for any DII team to improve its relevance to 95% of the college basketball world. ;D

MAVPOWER
03-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Oh how the mighty have fallen. Boasting about drawing 1500 fans for the Morningside game. You people probably have 3 or 4 thousand people who live on campus there and yet most don't even bother to walk over to Frost for a game that they probably get into for free. Going to a Jacks game for most students probably ranks behind listening to their Ipods, doing homework, watching tv, drinking beer, and whatever other illicit activities young people do these days.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
03-09-2006, 06:35 AM
You people probably have 3 or 4 thousand people who live on campus there and yet most don't even bother to walk over to Frost for a game that they probably get into for free. Going to a Jacks game for most students probably ranks behind listening to their Ipods, doing homework, watching tv, drinking beer, and whatever other illicit activities young people do these days.

Unfortunately, it's pretty hard to argue against that. I can't say that I made every game ever played while I attended SDSU, but I made better than 95% of them. Getting our student body to show up in large numbers for both football and basketball games should not be that big of a problem, but it always has been. Don't get me wrong, the student body that does show up is usually loud and fun, but the numbers should be easily doubled.

jackmd
03-09-2006, 07:32 AM
Unfortunately, it's pretty hard to argue against that. I can't say that I made every game ever played while I attended SDSU, but I made better than 95% of them. Getting our student body to show up in large numbers for both football and basketball games should not be that big of a problem, but it always has been. Don't get me wrong, the student body that does show up is usually loud and fun, but the numbers should be easily doubled.

I think there is a big push to increase these numbers. The promotions seem geared towards the college students. With single BB games starting at 7 pm there is still plenty of time after the game to study or hit the bar, whichever you prefer.

SF_Rabbit_Fan
03-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Students don't get in "free." They pay through their activity fee.

JACKGUYII
03-09-2006, 09:34 AM
I think the University did a better job marketing towards the students this year especially the last few games. Remember the majority of our home games were over holidays,president's weekend,spring break etc. The good news is there is opportunity there to increase attendence through the students. I thought the alumni and friends turnout was pretty strong. The split of the mens and womens games was very hard for many fans. What would the attendence be for the NCC teams if they didn't have those doubleheaders? Our women's program is going to continue to be in the upper half of attendence in DI.

jackmd
03-09-2006, 09:50 AM

MAVPOWER's 7th grade education doesn't really allow him to understand anything more than the obvious.

jackrabbit1979
03-09-2006, 09:52 AM

Even more reason they should attend, they have to pay for it whether they go or not. I think we need to make a conscious effort to make the games more student friendly. If that means changing the way things have been done and upseting a few in the reserved sections so be it. A few of my ideas:

1. Make the game a more student friendly atmosphere...seriously who picks the music, etc. that is played during the breaks. That cowbell cam song is absolutely terrible. I am a big fan of the pep band but we need to supplement their playing with music and effects that students actually like. If we make the game an event/party, students will attend even if it is just for the event, and everyone will reap the benefits. I was watching a Wake Forest game on TV lthis season and the student section was going nuts as "Jump Around" by House of Pain was blared over the sound system just before tip off. It was incredible. To me a student crowd is more easily persuaded than the reserved crowd. The reserved will be there no matter what, they support the team, the students need to be enticed to come at first. Then, it will become an event, and we will have to turn them away from the student section.

2. The skits/games between breaks just didn't do it for me most of the time. Maybe we need to find something that is a little more entertaining. Some of them were decent, but some were pretty weak. It seemed as if we were searching something.

3. The student section needs to be the place to be. I have heard rumblings of Game Day T-Shirts being given to freshman and sold at the bookstore that would improve the visual of Frost Arena if we could get people to wear them. One of my friends at UNL said when he was in college you had to have a specific tshirt on to sit in the student section at the bball games. That would be a great idea. I hope more in this area will be started this fall.

Just my .02 to get started, what does everybody else think.

Rabbitlivinginverm
03-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Something could be done with the mascot. Why not let the Rabbit slide down the stairs and land on the court? Get him/her a trampoline and some padding, let's see if the rabbit can dunk! ;D

I'm thinking along the lines of the gorilla with the Phoenix Suns. I did talk with an employee (now a former employee) of the athletic department about this at a game last year. She said it will never happen b/c of liability issues.

filbert
03-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Something could be done with the mascot. Why not let the Rabbit slide down the stairs and land on the court? Get him/her a trampoline and some padding, let's see if the rabbit can dunk! ;D

I'm thinking along the lines of the gorilla with the Phoenix Suns. I did talk with an employee (now a former employee) of the athletic department about this at a game last year. She said it will never happen b/c of liability issues.

The two "big-time" schools I'm most familiar with are Tennessee and Kansas.

Tennessee has Smokey roller-blade around in a smoking coat in the first half, then change "clothes" for the second half.

Kansas, when they're playing the school song, has Big Jay and Little Jay dance around the court. As the band plays faster and faster, they circle center court, and slide into the middle just as the song ends.

There's a lot you can do with a mascot (that doesn't risk serious injury to the student wearing the suit). It just takes someone (maybe the mascot him/her/itself) sitting down and thinking up something cool.

SF_Rabbit_Fan
03-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Kind of off topic, but one thing I have noticed is how a number of major schools have canopies/banners hanging above their entrances (like at the Lloyd Noble Center http://www.ou.edu/lnc/su_tradefair.html) parallel to the floor to make it an actual tunnel coming into the arena. Not sure how it would work, but I think it would be neat to do this in the four corners of the floor level. We would have to move the scoreboards, which can barely be seen, anyway. It would make the arena more aesthetically appealing and its fairly inexpensive to do. It would also give the players a feeling of walking a tunnel to get into the arena.

Many schools also have a tunnel cam to show the team in the locker room right before they come out and also as they tunnel walk. The places I have been that do this have really been rocking as the team jogged down the tunnel and onto the floor. This would also be a great use of the fantastic big screens and sound system. Imagine being a Jack and hearing the whole arena going nuts the second you walk out of the locker room.

Something really needs to be done with the student section bleachers. It needs to be lowered so that fans sitting in the upper deck bleachers can actually see the game. To a lot of people, it just doesn't make sense to spend $50 to take your family to a game, and then when you get to your "general admission" seats your 5 year old can't even see the game.

Just a few ideas to spice up the atmosphere and get more people through the gates.

JH81
03-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Something really needs to be done with the student section bleachers. It needs to be lowered so that fans sitting in the upper deck bleachers can actually see the game. To a lot of people, it just doesn't make sense to spend $50 to take your family to a game, and then when you get to your "general admission" seats your 5 year old can't even see the game.

1. those bleachers are brand new, so nothing will be done with them.
2. they couldn't have been placed any lower without cutting out a good portion of the seating for the students
3. people need to learn to not sit in the first couple of rows so that they can see over the students
4. attendance hasn't been that great so there has to be plenty of upper level GA spots that people can get unobstucted views in

Rabbitden
03-09-2006, 03:16 PM
The cowbell cam song is "ring my bell"...can you think of something else? Tell Micha Grenz.

As far as the music goes though, whether we like it or not it has to appeal to everyone, not just students. Rule of thumb, if you can dance to it (not mosh pit)...play it.

The promotions during breaks are getting better. They pick up ideas from other venues they visit. Remember, its just not the players that are making the transition here.

The scoreboards are not going to get moved and I agree with the fact that if you do not like to stand, stay out of the first couple of rows in GA.

I know this is all opions but a ton of long hours and hard work is put in by the athletic staff to put these events on. I myself would like to give them koodos for what they have accomplished so far.

There are a ton of limitations that have to be met so the best thing to do is pass your ideas on to the SDSU athletic promotions and marketing staff.

They love to hear these kind of suggestions. If its fan freindly and their able to do it, they'll look into it.

Love you all long time, short time...GO JACKS!

Rabbitlivinginverm
03-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Our announcer, like Frost, is one of the best around as well.

JH81
03-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Our announcer, like Frost, is one of the best around as well.

Oh man, now his big bald head just swelled even more. Way to go. Nothing like giving credit where credit is due. I just wish he'd speak his mind a little more ;)

thebluehatman
03-09-2006, 07:05 PM
J.T. is a stud. He is loved by us students. ;D I miss his voice already and its only been a week. :( lets get him to baseball, softball, and football games:D

filbert
03-09-2006, 09:41 PM
The thing to do with the GA bleachers on the upper south side is, when they replace them (I hear that's in the works) you elevate them by 4-6 feet so that those sitting up top will see over the standing students in the lower section. That's what I'd do.

Plus, when you pull them out, you would have

F R O S T A R E N A S O U T H D A K O T A S T A T E U N I V E R S I T Y

printed on the front of them, just in case you missed all the other signage in the building and weren't quite sure where you were. Plus, it would show up nicely in a wide crowd shot from the TV crow's nest over on the north side at the top of the reserved seats.

Putting "Scott Nagy Court" on the side line in front of the scorer's table is a project for the future. ;D

JACKGUYII
03-10-2006, 07:26 AM
The thing to do with the GA bleachers on the upper south side is, when they replace them (I hear that's in the works) you elevate them by 4-6 feet so that those sitting up top will see over the standing students in the lower section. That's what I'd do.

Plus, when you pull them out, you would have

F R O S T A R E N A S O U T H D A K O T A S T A T E U N I V E R S I T Y

printed on the front of them, just in case you missed all the other signage in the building and weren't quite sure where you were. Plus, it would show up nicely in a wide crowd shot from the TV crow's nest over on the north side at the top of the reserved seats.

Putting "Scott Nagy Court" on the side line in front of the scorer's table is a project for the future. ;D

I believe the new seating on the upper south side will be chairback seating.

JackTwice
03-10-2006, 08:27 AM
It is my understanding that the upper south side will still be bleachers. The upper east and west side will be going to chairbacks though.

SF_Rabbit_Fan
03-10-2006, 08:56 AM
1. those bleachers are brand new, so nothing will be done with them.
2. they couldn't have been placed any lower without cutting out a good portion of the seating for the students
3. people need to learn to not sit in the first couple of rows so that they can see over the students
4. attendance hasn't been that great so there has to be plenty of upper level GA spots that people can get unobstucted views in

I'm not trying to start an argument, just making counterpoints.

1-You are absolutely right, the bleachers are new and they look great. However, the problem of obstructed views is old, and should have been addressed. Maybe the admin did it on purpose to try to sell more reserved seats? ;)

2-You wouldn't lose any seats in the student section for basketball games by dropping the entire section 4 feet. The front row drops 4 feet, the back row drops 4 feet, and so does every single seat in between. Does anyone know for sure that this can't be done by removing a short section in the vertical supports under the bleachers?

3 & 4-My only comment is that is not a very good attitude toward selling any product. Do you work for the postal service or something? Just Kidding, I love the postal service, I get mail almost everyday! ;D

Don't get me wrong, I love the way Frost looks with all the new improvements, but there is always something more to do.

Personally, I don't really like the idea of elevating the upper deck because it is putting folks a squeege farther away from the action. But maybe when I see it, I will like it. It would eliminate the obstruction caused by the railings.

JACKGUYII
03-10-2006, 09:19 AM
It is my understanding that the upper south side will still be bleachers. The upper east and west side will be going to chairbacks though.

I'm not sure what is happening on the upper east and west side, but I was told directly the south will be chairback unless the administration has changed its mind.

jackrabbit1979
03-10-2006, 09:59 AM
With the new wellness center and track capabilites, maybe we should make the whole upper level a bowl setting with chairback seating. I assume the new track is for general student use, are they still planning on using the one at Frost. If not, it would be nice to get seats in the corners of the arena with good sight lines so the place doesn't seem so square and boxy. (pretty sure that's not a word)

Of course we would most likely need a winning lottery ticket before this is done. ;D

Rabbitden
03-10-2006, 10:10 AM
I thought the south side was going to be safety bleachers like the new student section and the east and west ends would be chair back. I think it would be great if they all were chair back up there.

I like the idea of making the upper section a bowl like atmosphere. I think there is a lot of wasted space up there too.

As far as the lottery goes...I have been doing my part on all four of the lotteries. The only problem I am having is those pesky Nebraskans are winning the powerball and lately the North Dakotans are winning the wild card game. When is it going to be OUR turn? :'(

GO JACKS!

jackrabbit1979
03-10-2006, 10:42 AM
The cowbell cam song is "ring my bell"...can you think of something else? Tell Micha Grenz.

As far as the music goes though, whether we like it or not it has to appeal to everyone, not just students. Rule of thumb, if you can dance to it (not mosh pit)...play it.

The promotions during breaks are getting better. They pick up ideas from other venues they visit. Remember, its just not the players that are making the transition here.

The scoreboards are not going to get moved and I agree with the fact that if you do not like to stand, stay out of the first couple of rows in GA.

I know this is all opions but a ton of long hours and hard work is put in by the athletic staff to put these events on. I myself would like to give them koodos for what they have accomplished so far.

There are a ton of limitations that have to be met so the best thing to do is pass your ideas on to the SDSU athletic promotions and marketing staff.

They love to hear these kind of suggestions. If its fan freindly and their able to do it, they'll look into it.

Love you all long time, short time...GO JACKS!

I understand the verbage behind the cowbell cam song, just hearing it two - three times a week gets a little old. You have to admit the song itself is not that great.

As far as the music, we differ in opinions here. I agree we have to appease everyone, but if we ruffle a few of the grey hairs feathers and draw in 500 - 1000 more students i think that is a good trade. If they stop coming to games and supporting SDSU athletics because they don't like House of Pain on the sound system then they have bigger problems. Like i said, i think they will be there no matter what for the product and entertainment of Jacks athletics, it seems we need to draw students in.

Ill admit the promotions and stunts did get better throughout the year. And you keep up the good work Den. You keep Frost rocking and do a great job...you are envied by some of our opponents and their lifeless arenas.

Furthermore, i think posting this stuff on this board is giving suggestions to the athletic department. I would hope they have somebody reading parts of this board everyday to find out the perception of the fanbase and the general public. I would assume this already happens.

Rabbitden
03-10-2006, 11:38 AM
I would agree that it is visited from time-to-time by the dept. staff.

I like House of Pain too but I just dont see it drawing 500-1000 more students in because of the music.

What I am seeing though is that with the new student cheer section leaders controlling the taunts we are starting to get a more active student crowd. IMHO when we start getting a better product on the floor (men's side) we will see the student interest rise.

One other thing we have to remember here is that every tune and graphic used in Frost has to be payed for. Because it is being broadcast to a public audience, use rights and royalties are a factor. This could have some effect on why there is not a huge variety in the overall selections at this time?

Someone had mentioned before...its all about money, somebody win the lottery please!

Go Jacks!

P.S.
Thank you all for your compliments. ::)

jackrabbit1979
03-10-2006, 12:41 PM
I would agree that it is visited from time-to-time by the dept. staff.

I like House of Pain too but I just dont see it drawing 500-1000 more students in because of the music.

What I am seeing though is that with the new student cheer section leaders controlling the taunts we are starting to get a more active student crowd. IMHO when we start getting a better product on the floor (men's side) we will see the student interest rise.

One other thing we have to remember here is that every tune and graphic used in Frost has to be payed for. Because it is being broadcast to a public audience, use rights and royalties are a factor. This could have some effect on why there is not a huge variety in the overall selections at this time?

Someone had mentioned before...its all about money, somebody win the lottery please!

Go Jacks!

P.S.
Thank you all for your compliments. ::)

I was alluding to the whole environment at a bball game rather than the music alone. It would be one factor that would make that environment a little more student friendly. Personally i find it sad that we don't have 3000 students at every game just to see the team and show some school pride. But what can you do in these modern days of facebook and XBOX 360's (you can play a basketball game in your dorm room that looks nearly as real as the ones in Frost.)

I would agree that a better product on the floor will bring in the fans and students alike, but a better atmosphere would bring in better recruits thus resulting in a better product. Nagy has spoken to this fact himself many times.

I completely overlooked the royalties issue den, thanks for bringing that up. I would have had the ADept. sued ten times over by now. Damn Attorneys... ;)

SiouxFallsJack
03-10-2006, 12:42 PM
B. If you drop the student section 4' then the first couple rows there become obstructed view because of the scorer's table and benches.

The students stand anyway so I don't think the first few rows would be obstructed. It is more than just the first couple of rows behind the students that are obstructed. I normally sit in the 6th row of bleachers and even standing have problems seeing anything along the sideline next to the students. I don't have a problem standing for the entire game and would love to see everyone stand up and make noise.

thebluehatman
03-10-2006, 12:53 PM
Proud to be a stander and obscene yeller(sometimes) at basketball games. i'm wondering what effects the student leader plan will have on us students...like our where's your kneepads chant for NDSU men's team. or the your coach chokes you chant for dane fife's team. we need more organized chants from us. night classes suck up some students too. mmmmm facebook so addicting. i will definately be a student leader next year if need be:D. plus i think i shall bring a sign for the old folks that says "Stand up We're Winning Salute the JACKS" that I will hold up for the last minute of games we are winning:D i don't think they are gonna change the student section much, although i would like to see the east section of student bleachers brought right up to the visitor's bench. and a cowbell section right behind the visitors bench.

SF_Rabbit_Fan
03-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Den-what about a tunnel walk? Does anyone else think that is a good idea? How difficult would it be to get a camera out at the locker room entrance?

jackrabbit1979
03-10-2006, 01:09 PM
I
Den-what about a tunnel walk? Does anyone else think that is a good idea? How difficult would it be to get a camera out at the locker room entrance?

i think it's a great idea. Dak has one of there camera crews on the baseline by the entrance, it couldn't be that difficult to get out into the hallway. I believe the team enters through/from the weight room, or am i dreaming that...

Only bad part is we don't really have a tunnel, the team enters through the same hallway that students would be walking through to get to the student section.

thebluehatman
03-10-2006, 01:19 PM
the men enter from the weight room tunnel the girls from their locker room. it'd be kind of cool to do a men's tunnel cam. the girls tunnel cam would be kind of lack luster not much surprise and element to that seeing as they just walk across where fans walk in and stuff.

JackTwice
03-10-2006, 01:39 PM
The women could also access through the tunnel. The training room connects from the women's side and mens.

SF_Rabbit_Fan
03-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Blue Hat, you start the "We Want the Jacks" chant when the bigscreen goes to the tunnel cam.

thebluehatman
03-10-2006, 03:35 PM
i most definately do that. if only the pep band wasnt so loud and played the same songs over and over. anyways time for nascar qualifying:D

filbert
03-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Blue Hat, you start the "We Want the Jacks" chant when the bigscreen goes to the tunnel cam.

"We Want The Rabbits" has a better rhythm to it for a chant . . .

GoJacks
03-11-2006, 12:25 AM
I like the idea of making the upper section a bowl like atmosphere. I think there is a lot of wasted space up there too.

I like the idea but, Frost Arena has stair wells in the two corners opposite the Chair back seating. Those stairs are needed for restroom facilities and lower level concession stand. To do it right! I believe SDSU would have to expand Frost Arena to include a concourse behind the seats and add concession, restroom, (hospitality areas?). The only way is with major renovations and $$. Anyone else (besides me) willing to win the lottery? ;)

filbert
03-11-2006, 08:30 AM
I like the idea but, Frost Arena has stair wells in the two corners opposite the Chair back seating. Those stairs are needed for restroom facilities and lower level concession stand. To do it right! I believe SDSU would have to expand Frost Arena to include a concourse behind the seats and add concession, restroom, (hospitality areas?). The only way is with major renovations and $$. Anyone else (besides me) willing to win the lottery? ;)

Yeah, I'm in the Powerball pretty much whenever it gets above $80M or so.

thebluehatman
03-11-2006, 03:45 PM
http://photos-595.facebook.com/n14/46/75/116501224/n116501224_30238595_90.jpg
there's a good picture of some of our best fans;) someone bus the 12 people in the front row to all of our games and let us be rowdy...show our rabbit pride:D

el_presidente
03-11-2006, 11:36 PM
We should bring the girl standing behind me in the pink too. Even though she is in the second row.

Charger13
03-12-2006, 03:27 AM
To do it right! I believe SDSU would have to expand Frost Arena to include a concourse behind the seats and add concession, restroom, (hospitality areas?).

I have also thought Frost would be awesome this way. They could have permanent bowl seating for the upper deck then. They could also have a suite level on the South side. Frost would be so much better this way. A full bowl up top would create such a good atmosphere.

SDSUFAN
03-12-2006, 09:52 AM
The easiest solution to everyone's grand ideas would be to build an all new facility with seating for about 7500. Not too big, not too small. Quaint venue. Small enough that seating can be at a premium. Don't get me wrong, Frost is a great facility, but many on here seem to think there are enough changes needed that an entirely new facility would solve everything and probably save some costs. Just think of it, in a new facility there could be corporate suites, a presidential suite, new student section closer to the court, chairback seating all around, hospitality everywhere. Oh to have won the $365 million lottery.

Oh I dont know about a new facility and I think Frost is still a long ways from having lines of ticket buying fans that stream all the way to Mc Donalds on sixth street. What you are saying about suites etc is very true as that seems to be the sign of the times and how new arenas are being built and sold to the business community.

I don't have any photos and I suppose they can be found on the internet, but Oklahoma State U. at Stillwater upgraded their old facility that had a capicity of about 6500, and they did that by taking the roof off and apparently building the building higher and added considerable more seating. That might also be an option down the road.

To win the that 365 million would solve our problems provided that t specific winner were to fill out his Jackrabbit Club Pledge card and include 100 million as the amount pledged. ;D

The sad part about winning lotteries is all of a sudden there are more priorities than there is lottery winnings. :D

Right now we need to average higher than our 2000 for home games, and maybe that will come with a better product for both Men and women BB.

Yes I have been very impatient, but I do think all the current problems will be resolve one way or another. ;D

filbert
03-12-2006, 11:00 AM
someone bus the 12 people in the front row to all of our games and let us be rowdy...show our rabbit pride:D

Don't buses hold around 40? ;D

thebluehatman
03-12-2006, 11:26 AM
i think buses do. but i only really know about 15 superfans or so. us students need to step up our cheering and support next year some of the crowds were quite lack luster. micheal loney's girlfriend really gets into the games. we need to bring her along too:D isn't there still a back of the bus gang?? or am i imagining things from the past?

Jacks02
03-12-2006, 11:50 AM
"We Want The Rabbits" has a better rhythm to it for a chant . . .

Am I remembering it right that SDSU fan's chanted something similar to "Here Come the Bunnies" before one of the regional games in the late 90's. May have been Northern or Metro. Little foggy on the memory (excessive consumption of beer has that effect) but I think it happened ;)

filbert
03-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Am I remembering it right that SDSU fan's chanted something similar to "Here Come the Bunnies" before one of the regional games in the late 90's. May have been Northern or Metro. Little foggy on the memory (excessive consumption of beer has that effect) but I think it happened ;)

The all-time best for me was the Cal State Hayward NCAA quarterfinal game in 1985. We kept up a "We Want The Rabbits" chant for at least fifteen minutes before the team came out. When Hayward came out you could see their eyes were about a foot wide, staring at that crowd.

NorCalJack
03-12-2006, 01:29 PM
The all-time best for me was the Cal State Hayward NCAA quarterfinal game in 1985. We kept up a "We Want The Rabbits" chant for at least fifteen minutes before the team came out. When Hayward came out you could see their eyes were about a foot wide, staring at that crowd.

I was at that game filbert. They looked like a deer in headlights. Great game also.

jackrabbit1979
03-12-2006, 01:47 PM

Couldn't this concourse be under the new bowl seating?

Walrus
03-12-2006, 03:51 PM

As I recall Cal State Hayward had won their previous tournament game in front of just a few hundred fans.
A few of their players came out early to look at the crowd. They were good naturedly booed and couple of players blew kisses back at the crowd.

That night was the best atmosphere I've ever seen at a game.

SUPERBUNNY
03-13-2006, 12:07 PM

I seem to recall that they only had one caucasian player on their team and he was the only player at the end of the game that hadn't taken off his warm up shirt. The crowd started cheering "Let Jerry play, Let Jerry play!" He came in and missed a couple of shots but finally knocked one down and the place went nuts.

Needless to say it was forty minutes of chaos when the Jacks were on the court.

That Regional Tournament was absolutley the most elctric atmosphere that I've seen in Frost Arena and I've been going to games since the "Barn"!

Great memories! Can't wait for future memories in D-I!!!

SUPERBUNNY OUT