Oh the Shame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh the Shame

Hey Mav fans, are you even going to have teams to cheer for at ANY level?

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=...;u_sid=2194293

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Re: Oh the Shame

Have to register, here are some portions of the story.

Tom Shatel: UNO cutbacks a slap to top boosters' faces

BY TOM SHATEL

WORLD-HERALD COLUMNIST

RELATED STORIES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------»
    'Devastated': UNO cuts five positions

»
    No plans for Mavs to jump to Div. I

This is going to get ugly at UNO. This looks like a train wreck in progress.

If you have a love for Maverick athletics, or a squeamish stomach, look away.

When UNO decided to add Division I men's hockey in 1997, it was tantamount to jumping off a cliff. It required a change in commitment, a change in mentality. There was no turning back now.

Apparently the folks in charge at UNO want to turn back.

That's not how it works.

When the University of North Dakota announced Wednesday it was moving up to Division I, that was the final nail in the coffin of the North Central Conference as we knew it. RIP, NCC.

It leaves the other members scrambling for cover. It's sad. The NCC was once a proud power in Division II sports. But that's life in today's college athletics. It's every school for itself. The strong and aggressive survive. The rest play glorified intramurals.

Will UNO move up or move down? Play ball or intramurals?

An answer came, coincidentally, on Tuesday, when UNO announced it was cutting five positions from athletics: an assistant athletic director; an assistant coach in both men's and women's basketball; a sports information director for hockey; and a secretary. All to save $444,000.

Maverick athletics are at a crossroads. This is the most important time in UNO athletics history. Frankly, some of the most powerful UNO boosters are scared to death to watch.

Others are downright livid.

"I believe Chancellor (Nancy) Belck and Jim Buck (vice chancellor) are trying to harm a great athletic department," said David Sokol, the CEO of Mid-America Energy. Sokol is also a UNO alumnus, former football player and one of the school's top donors and athletic boosters.

"Make sure you put those two together in the same sentence, because they are in together. They are intentionally diminishing an athletic department with the ultimate goal of dismantling it. That would be a shame for Omaha.

"If you aren't striving for excellence, then you are striving for mediocrity. If that's the case here, we need a new administration."

Are Belck and Buck trying to do away with UNO sports? I don't believe that. Are they headed in a direction where recruits won't want to come here and good coaches won't want to coach here? It certainly looks that way.

This is a school with a small-time, Division II mentality. It's a place in conflict with itself. An administration in over its Division I head........................

Belck has committed UNO to being at "the top of Division II." But if you are in the Northern Sun or Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, you aren't at the top of Division II. You are in a lower-level conference with 20-some scholarships with no guarantee of a playoff berth.

That last paragraph sounds like a USD fan last year.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Sorry about missing the register part, I already was.

I think SDSU needs to find a connection to Howard Hawks. Heck, I only lived in Omaha for 6 months about 10 years ago & I would have known to give him a call before dropping the ax. Sad.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

The whole uno mess is being discussed at length right now on Unsportsmanlike Conduct, including Shatel, Hawkes and Sokol. Available online at www.1620thezone.com.
        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Working...
        X