Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With support like this ...

who needs enemies?

From today's Public Pulse in the Omaha World Herald http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=610:

Cut UNO football

Budget cuts in the University of Nebraska at Omaha's athletic department demonstrate the point I made in vain 10 years ago to university administrators and the University of Nebraska Board of Regents: We cannot afford football at UNO.

There are few easy ways to reduce spending. There are just higher and lower priorities. Education should be a higher priority than football. Eliminating that one sport could put UNO athletics solidly in the black.

Chuck Hassebrook, Lyons, Neb.
    University of Nebraska regent
    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
    --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Re: With support like this ...

Originally posted by jacksfaninne
    who needs enemies?

From today's Public Pulse in the Omaha World Herald http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=610:

Cut UNO football

Budget cuts in the University of Nebraska at Omaha's athletic department demonstrate the point I made in vain 10 years ago to university administrators and the University of Nebraska Board of Regents: We cannot afford football at UNO.

There are few easy ways to reduce spending. There are just higher and lower priorities. Education should be a higher priority than football. Eliminating that one sport could put UNO athletics solidly in the black.

Ouch!

Comment

who needs enemies?

Cut UNO football

I'm going to guess that Chuck will be a no vote on UNO moving up to D-I. ;D

Go State!

Comment

Cutting football should really help them get into the MIAA. ;D ;D ;D
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

No wonder the Mav twins frequent our board. We've been more supportive than their own regents. Actually, that regent may want to join Belck on the slow barge out of Omaha because a football program at UNO allows young Nebraska men to play football for their home state if they aren't good enough for Neb.-Lincoln, especially since Callahan is not a big fan of a legion of walk-ons........

Comment

good call chuck. although they should cut volleyball, basketball, and softball, this might anger mavbots, but save them a lot more money. basketball season is soooooooo long and so many road trips which means much much more money spent. just my 2 cents.

Comment

Mavpower and Mavrules probably won't even respond to this thread. Maybe they should just cut UNO period.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
                Mavpower and Mavrules probably won't even respond to this thread. Maybe they should just cut UNO period.
                Actually, I think the Mav twins are fed up with the lack of leadership that is occurring in Nebraska, particularly at UNO. We have been pretty fortunate in SD, despite our limited resources, to have a fairly stable system and good leadership in higher ed. With proper leadership, support, and motivation, Omaha could support a D-1 UNO and would probably appreciate the possibility of a playoff run in football; they would just have to avoid scheduling home games at the same times as UNL football games

UNO faces the same probably that St. Cloud and Mankato face in MN: they're essentially the unwanted/unloved, red-headed stepchild when compared to the mega land-grant/liberal arts conglomerates that were established in Minnesota and Nebraska (to name a few). It doesn't help the Mav football cause that Wisconsin has a bunch of state school D-3s and two state, non-football D-1s (Milwaukee and Geen Bay).

I know this really isn't smack, but Mav fans have been putting up with enough smack from their own "supporters." I hope someone can step forward and turn things around down there because the Mav twins would have to find new nicknames......... :-?

Comment

Regent wants to cut UNO football
                  OMAHA – A regent is again proposing the elimination of Nebraska-Omaha’s football program to ease budgetary problems in the Mavericks’ athletic department.

Chuck Hassebrook of Lyons made the same suggestion 10 years ago, before the regents approved upgrades in athletic facilities and programs at the Omaha campus.

Hassebrook renewed his campaign to cut the football program in a letter to the editor published Thursday in the Omaha World-Herald. He said in an interview with The Associated Press that cutting football should be one of the options discussed in the wake of UNO’s announcement last month that it had a $440,000 athletic budget shortfall.

Chancellor Nancy Belck said the university is not looking to cut any sports.
                  http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...PORTS/50411008

Comment

The fact remains that we had a great year in athletics and you spent the year getting your arse kicked.

Published Friday
                    July 7, 2006

Mavs third in Directors' Cup

The University of Nebraska at Omaha finished third in the 2005-06 U.S. Sports Academy Directors' Cup Standings for NCAA Division II schools.

Points are awarded based on the national finish of each sport.

The top 10:

• 1. Grand Valley State, 974.75; 2. Abilene Christian, 592.5; 3. UNO, 591; 4. Southern Illinois-Edwardsville, 569.25; 5. Cal State-Bakersfield, 518; 6. UC San Diego, 497.5; 7. Central Missouri State, 483.75; 8. Cal State-Chico, 481; Minnesota State, Mankato, 481; 10. Lynn, 471.

Comment

The fact remains that you couldn't afford your "great year".  After spending so much time telling us we couldn't afford D-I the truth is you can't even afford to be a legitimate D-II contender.

Go State!  

P.S. As far as the directors cup thing goes .  .  .  been there, done that - and could afford to do it, when we did it.   ;D

Comment

If you had a list of D-I schools that were jealous of not being in the top 10 of the D-II Director's Cup... you would have a blank piece of paper.

Comment

who needs enemies?

Cut UNO football

UNO FOOTBALL TEAM/RECRUITING NOT AFFECTED BY RECENT DEVELOPMENTS?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Working...
                          X