Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Have Got To Be Kidding Me!  Sioux Falls 3

http://www.isucceed.com/Nashville-To...te-news/53951/

In the my latest issue of Kiplingers I was astounded to find Sioux Falls, Sd no. 31 in the country on this list.
    I was born in KC and lived there 25 years and can see why KC is a nice place to live.  But the crime rate is really high, the KC,Mo. public schools are terrible
    and there is too much driving there.  But despite that they have a nice cost of living, a lot of beautful areas of the city, lower housing prices, etc.  One could make a good case for them being top 10 although I can think of a lot better places than that.
    But to put SF in the top 50 is laughable.  They have bad weather, they have little ethnic and cultural diversity, , they don't have one quality art museum (old washington high school is no museum), they don't have a big boy airport.  They weren't even smart enough to put one of the 2 state u's in their town but instead took that prison.  I have heard some people in Omaha say they want to move to KC to get more big city amenities but I haven't heard anyone say they want to move to Sioux Falls for any reason.  Sioux Falls has a lot of nice people there and is a clean place with no state income tax which is nice.  But one has to remember that while SF doesn't have a state income tax a lot of that money comes from gambling.  Tons of social problems in that city from people's out of control gambling.   But I don't see how most reasonable people would say that it is 31st.  Heck - a good job there pay 10 bucks an hour.  My inlaws live in one of the more picturesque of areas of SF's near Mckennan Park and while nice it would not merit the kind of praise Kiplingers gives it.  I think I am going to cancel my subscription.
    *** Omaha should be on the list but we have too many people killing each other and our property taxes are ridiculously high.

Re: You Have Got To Be Kidding Me!  Sioux Fal

Mavpower,

1) Most of the cities on this list don't have your "big boy" airports.
    2) Sioux Falls is a regional medical center with four hospitals (Sioux Valley, McKennan, Heart Hospital, and VA). If someone in this region has a major medical issue, they head to SF or the Mayo Clinic, not MSP or Omaha.
    3) There are numerous educational options, including the growing USDSU center, in the city with three more universities (and their cultural opportunities) within an hour's drive. Many pioneer towns chose a prison over a college in that era because the prisons employed more people and college attendence was a rarity.
    4) There are numerous examples of architecture in Sioux Falls (Sioux quartzite stone buildings) that you won't find elsewhere.
    5) The city and its job base have grown rapidly in the last quarter-century.
    6) The city has a thriving minor league sports scene that is more affordable than most major league activities.
    7) It's a ranking......it's subjective.

Next time you're in Sioux Falls, hop on a bike and go along the Big Sioux River and see more parts of the city than 41st Street and one residential neighborhood.

On a brighter note, you will have more money to donate to the UNO athletic department if your cancel your subscription. God knows they need all the help they can get right now.

Comment

I'm not sure this even rises to the level of smack, Mavpower. I'm sorely tempted to move this thread into Around South Dakota because it's so complementary to Sioux Falls in general.

By the way, a very, very simple Google search quite trivially found the actual Kiplinger's article here rather than the PR statement link you posted.

They're talking about metro areas, not just central cities. If you'd read the actual article you might have realized that.

Just for fun, here's Mid-Con cities and potential member cities in the top 50:
      Kansas City
      St. George (Cedar City)
      Indianapolis
      Fargo
      Sioux Falls (Brookings)

Not bad . . . five of the ten metros represented in a circa 2008 Mid-Con conference. At least half of the road trips will be to "nice" cities. Obviously adding NDSU and SDSU upgrades the Mid-Con in more ways than just adding two of the 50 statewide 1862 Land Grants.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Re: You Have Got To Be Kidding Me!  Sioux Falls 3

What Omaha the shinning star of the Midwest didn't make the list? Go figure. ;D

Go State!

Comment

I've said it once and I'll say it again, the only two good things to come out of Omaha is I-80 and the airport!
          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Filbert,  I love the way you lump brookings and sioux falls into one big metro area.  Nobody around here lumps lincoln and omaha together but you people love to do it when it suits your needs.  I guess if one lives in St Joe they too are a part of KC, Mo.  Maybe they can rename Mo Western State Univ North Kansas City Univ.  You probably live in a nice part of town like Fairway,Ks but for the sake of convenience you tell all your friends and colleagues that you live in Mission Hills near the Brett family.  I mean if Brookings and Sioux Falls are mentioned in the same breath surely Mission Hills and Fairway are too.  Basic geography lesson for you - Sioux Falls is 58.29 miles south of Brookings (per mapquest) and they are not a part of each other.  

Comment

Mistake #1... trusting mapquest! try 48 miles from Sioux Falls to Brookings; which puts them in the Sioux Falls metro area according to the US Census.

Sheesh! RESEARCH!
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Per yahoo travel Brookings is 59.5 miles away from Sioux Falls. Show me a site that says 48 miles driving and I might believe you. NOt as the birds fly..

Comment

way to try to switch focus of topics from the regents wanting to cut your football program, to the distance from brookings to sioux falls. actually brookings is about 48 miles away according to the odometer on my car when i take a trip to sioux falls. but that is of no importance. by the way i wonder how the other regents think UNO could save money, I wonder if it is by cutting football???

Comment

Originally posted by MAVPOWER
                    Per yahoo travel Brookings is 59.5 miles away from Sioux Falls. Show me a site that says 48 miles driving and I might believe you. NOt as the birds fly..
                    Good God, do you believe EVERYTHING that comes via the Internet?!?

The best gague is my travel odomoter in my car. So THERE!!

What are you going to believe... some stupid website who has designers have have probably NEVER set foot in South Dakota, or someone who actually LIVES there?
                    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Exit 81 to Exit 132 going from Sioux Falls to Brookings. For the Mav Twins: it is Exit 132 to Exit 81 when going from Brookings to Sioux Falls.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

We can always send a picture of the road sign right outside of Brookings stating 48 miles to SF and maybe the one leaving SF stating 48 miles to Brookings. Heck, when taking the picture, the cities will be right in the back ground so we wouldn't have faked them. But, I'm sure we will be blamed for using a trick photo lens or changing the photo. In all actuality, Brookings and SF are no longer 48 miles apart. Brookings is spreading fast to the south and SF is building on the northern part of town so we are under 48 miles now.
                        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

An accounting prof I had (before I came to SDSU) once said, "Figures don't lie, but the liars are figuring." In other words, figures can be made up to be used as deemed fit to win an argument or swing a deal.

In reality, no one is lying about the distance between Sioux Falls and Brookings. The Mapquest definition of 58.29 miles is accurate IF you are going from downtown Brookings to downtown Sioux Falls and you take 12th St. (currently under construction) to downtown SF. The 48 miles is true if you consider the north end of SF to be the I-29/I-90 intersection. We could cut several more miles down if we move SF up to the first exit north of I-90 and Brookings down to the Elkton exit (which is closer to much of the south part of town than the exit to U.S. 14).

Regardless, it's still quickly for me to leave Brookings and go to the SF airport than it would be for me to get to the MSP airport (one of the few centrally-located airports in an urban area) from many parts of the Twin Cities metro area.

Comment

What - another reasonable person (besides myself of course) on this site!!
                            Go figure
                            Blue Hat Man - The chances of UNO fb going away is about the same as sdsu going to the final four in basketball. Ain't gonna happen

Comment

Originally posted by MAVPOWER
                              What - another reasonable person (besides myself of course) on this site!!
                              Go figure
                              Blue Hat Man - The chances of UNO fb going away is about the same as sdsu going to the final four in basketball. Ain't gonna happen

Isn't the regent who suggested the elimination of football at UNO kind of a crackpot? He strikes me as one of those characters who says nutty things and gets media attention, but really hasn't got any power or significant constituency.

Comment

Working...
                              X