USD-I???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD-I???

Wasn't sure if this was smack, but I figure by the tone of the letter, it might be...

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...607140322/1053

USD D-I move
    Tim J. Schwebach
    Dell Rapids
    July 14, 2006

The University of South Dakota should not move up to Division I athletics. A move now would be extremely poor timing. If USD can win the NCAA D-II football and basketball championships in the next few years, then maybe it could consider a move to D-I.

Ask State fans whether they are happy with the move to D-I.

Well, Tim, I can't speak for everyone on this board, but I can say I'm happy as Hell we moved up to D-1! We're playing great competition and keeping competitive ourselves (granted MBB took a bit of a hit, but the nice thing about hitting bottom is there's no place to go but up!). And despite what some people say about the MCC, or Division I-AA football, we have been holding our own against some very tough opponents. Better than beating the crap out of Upper Iowa or Truman State, finishing 10-1 and NOT making the playoffs!
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Re: USD-I???

Very happy to see SDSU move up to DI and continue to improve the institution. I want South Dakota kids and parents to have an option for the best in-state education and athletic opportunity. DI provides that option. There are times when I miss seeing the BB teams in the top 10 nationally. It was great hosting DII regional tourneys at Frost. Fond memories I have. The benefits that exist at DI greatly outweigh the risks associated with the move. To remain DII comes with much uncertainty. Lastly, I am happy with the current transition and look forward to the years to come.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

This State fan is happy.

Comment

There were, and probably still are, a lot of sports fans, including Jackrabbit fans, who share Tim's opinions.  To be a true sportsman is to strive to be competitive at whatever level you are playing.  There is less honor in dominating lesser competition than in playing competitively with your peers whether you win or lose.

This is why BCS schools only gain bowl consideration when they play their peers.  It is why they can count only one game against a 1-AA school . . . and why that school has to be a counter with regard to the number of scholarships it offers.  I'm pretty sure there would be no honor for the Cornhuskers if they played only USD, Augie, SDSU, and Northern in addition to their conference schedule.  Yes, I know that statement is so obvious as to be stupid!  But it does put Tim's argument in a better context for seeing the real spirit of the purpose of athletic competition.

Comment

Lets see... Ozark Jack is....

Happy
          Ecstatic
          elated
          relieved
          giddy with joy

I LOVE D1 !!!!!!

Comment

You just don't hardly here people complaining about the move to D-1 and I suspect that those comments will greatly subside if we are invited into the Mid-Con.

There have certainly been bumps in the process, but I have personally been thrilled with the progress that has been made and am very excited about the future for SDSU.

This has been a win-win proposition for everyone invloved!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
              You just don't hardly here people complaining about the move to D-1 and I suspect that those comments will greatly subside if we are invited into the Mid-Con.

There have certainly been bumps in the process, but I have personally been thrilled with the progress that has been made and am very excited about the future for SDSU.

This has been a win-win proposition for everyone invloved!

SUPERBUNNY
              Well, except for the 'Yotes!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
                This State fan is happy.
                This one's happy too. ;D
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I'd guess most of us here are happy bunnies . . .
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Another happy Jacks fan here.

Comment

It's great to have schools like Montana, Alabama, Iowa State, Minnesota, San Diego St., and so forth on the schedule.

The alternative (in D-2) would be Crookston, Peru St., Upper Ia., Dordt, and about any other team that USD has been eager to play lately. :

Comment

A fan from USD asked a similar question of me over on the Argus forum, implying that my expectations must have been lowered and imploring me to "admit" that D-I was a mistake.  Here is my response, I think it works well in this thread also .  .  .

coyote61,

My expectations remain the same as when we started our move to D-I that is to compete and win at the highest level.  With that said I am fully aware that our ability to do both will be tested early on in the transition because we are ramping up scholarships, facilities, and everything else from a D-II level to a D-I level.  That is one of the reasons that the NCAA has a Reclassification Process with Provisional Member Status.  With that said here is a short list of some of the D-I Schools we have beaten in our first two seasons in D-I:

Air Force
                        Alabama
                        Boston College
                        Butler
                        Creighton
                        Colorado St.
                        Delaware St.
                        Denver
                        Drake
                        Gonzaga
                        Holy Cross
                        Idaho St.
                        Indiana State
                        Kentucky
                        Minnesota
                        Montana
                        Nebraska
                        New York Tech
                        North Dakota St.
                        Northern Iowa
                        Notre Dame
                        Oklahoma State
                        Portland St.
                        Princeton
                        Southern University
                        Southern Ill.
                        Tennessee State
                        UC Davis
                        UMKC
                        UTEP
                        Valparaiso
                        Wisconsin
                        Wisconsin-Green Bay
                        Wisconsin-Milwaukee
                        Yale

This of course is not a comprehensive list by any means, but I think you get the idea.  Heck even our Men's Basketball team (whom some feel have under achieved) was on National TV three times last year.  Where any USD teams on National TV last year?

Coach Nagy is interviewed by ESPNU's Larry Conley after the Jackrabbits win at the Guardians Classic.

If D-I is such a bad idea, how come it has been reported that your school is looking at making the same move?

So for me the move to D-I has been anything but a mistake.  It in fact is the best thing that ever happened to my Universities' athletic department.  It has allowed us to compete athletically with our academic peers.  The best news for SDSU as we get closer to the end of our Reclassification Process (Wrestling and Volleyball will be eligible for NCAA D-I Championships this coming season - '06/'07) is things will only get better.  .  .  .  

I am a VERY happy bunny!  8-)

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                          A fan from USD asked a similar question of me over on the Argus forum, implying that my expectations must have been lowered and imploring me to "admit" that D-I was a mistake.
                          Not many SDSU fans have had unrealistic expectations about the move to D-I - there is, of course a difference between hope and expectations. Most SDSU fans expected the transition to be a struggle and there would be a wait for a conference invite: realistic expectations for any team moving to D-I.

The problem is not Jacks fan's expectations, but what certain other people say are the expectations of Jacks fans. People are only responsible for their own expectations, not what other people say you expect. And other people can say that SDSU fans are unhappy with the move to D-I all they want, but it means nothing, Jacks fans are perfectly capable of stating their own feelings.

What we never hear from detractors of SDSU's move to D-I is what they think are realistic expectations of a move to D-I.

Comment

This Florida Rabbit is VERY happy that Jacks are D-I. If we get the Mid-con invite anticipated, we will be in three great, properly competitive conferences that WHEN we shine, we'll be in participating in the HIGHEST LEVEL CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Has transition been tough? Yes. Worst than expected? No. Accomplishing what we (fans) expect from our follow-up athletes? I think so.

The NCC was a GREAT D-2 conference. NDSU/SDSU/UND/UNC were primary reasons for that being a conference of champions. However, we're even more thrilling in D-I.

GO STATE 8-)

Comment

Another happy rabbit fan here. If USD2 thinks by winning a fball or bball championship would make it the right time to go D1, they will always be D2 or lower. At 10-1 or 9-2 they would make the NAIA2 playoffs with those quality wins over Crookston and Upper Iowa.

Comment

Working...
                              X