Clear All

• Looks like we are getting a stud

Published Saturday
    July 22, 2006

UNO gets talented receiver

BY ROB WHITE

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

RELATED LINKS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

»
    UNO Football

»
    Mav Central

A speedy wide receiver who once committed to a scholarship offer from USC will be playing for UNO this fall.

Mike Bolio, a 5-foot-11, 195-pounder, has taken the scenic route to Division II, having played just one of the last four seasons after completing his high school career at North Torrance (Calif.).

"I'm happy with where I ended up," Bolio said. "I love the coaching staff and I like the city. I have no regrets. I made a couple of mistakes. Two years ago I was slacking off in school and it cost me a scholarship."

Most recently, Bolio was at Marshall. He didn't play there because he was ineligible after receiving a C-minus instead of the C that he needed in a junior college class.

His five-year clock to complete his four years of eligibility in Division I would have expired after this season, and he would have had to pass a nearly impossible course load in the spring to be eligible.

However, because of differences between Division I and II, Bolio has two - and perhaps three - seasons of eligibility left at the University of Nebraska at Omaha.

"He's an extremely talented kid, one of the top two or three I ever coached in 18 years," said Steve Schmitz, who coached Bolio at Los Angeles Harbor College.

Schmitz said Bolio is a "legit 4.3 guy," in the 40-yard dash.

Besides academic issues, Bolio has been sidelined by more than his fair share of bad luck.

He tore a hamstring in track in his senior year of high school in 2002, and when the injury lingered into fall camp before his first junior college season, he decided to attend part-time so that his five-year clock wouldn't start.

Before the 2003 season he suffered a concussion in a car accident and again was unable to play.

He made it on the field, finally, in 2004. After catching 13 passes for 287 yards in his second game, he moved to quarterback because his team had been decimated by injuries at that position. He wound up a junior college All-American while totaling 2,393 yards (736 passing, 697 on returns, 578 rushing and 382 receiving), and accounting for 20 touchdowns.

That's when he committed to Southern California - picking the Trojans over Auburn, Florida, Oklahoma and Utah - but he found out later that two classes he had taken didn't transfer. He landed at Marshall, after nearly joining Michigan State, but was later ineligible. While at Marshall, he learned that his five-year clock had started his first year of junior college because he hadn't dropped down to part-time status soon enough.

Finally, Bolio said, he would have had to pass 24 hours in the spring semester just to be eligible this fall.

So he gave Schmitz a list of 10 Division II schools with winning programs that passed the ball regularly.

"I got hold of six of them, and five of them called Mike within a day or two," Schmitz said. "The other one must have thought it was a hoax."

Bolio said he chose UNO over South Dakota, Northwest Missouri State and Grand Valley State.

UNO is unable to comment on Bolio because he has not officially enrolled in school.

Bolio, 22, said he has stayed in good shape, working out with his former junior college team and by working with NFL quarterback Jeff Garcia, an acquaintance from his local gym.

Re: Looks like we are getting a stud

Goodie for you. I am wondering how this constitutes smack.

Comment

Sounds like he has got talent, he should help if can stay healthy and the credits in-line. But smack?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

*yawn* He chose UNO over USD technically that is "smack against south dakota". i don't think getting a washed up reciever who under performs is much of a smack issue. oh well mav still gets a cookie for trying to look like he knows how to talk smack.

Comment

I don't think the USD board has a smack section, or that many members for that matter. Mavs_Rule probably thinks he can lay the most smack on USD (and SDSU since he chose UNO over us :) by posting on our board. Posting on the NCC board would be even more futile as they have next-to-no activity there.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
            I don't think the USD board has a smack section, or that many members for that matter. Mavs_Rule probably thinks he can lay the most smack on USD (and SDSU since he chose UNO over us :) by posting on our board. Posting on the NCC board would be even more futile as they have next-to-no activity there.
            You guys all missed it. The article MavsRule posted did a fine job of smacking Division II all by itself:
            His five-year clock to complete his four years of eligibility in Division I would have expired after this season, and he would have had to pass a nearly impossible course load in the spring to be eligible.

However, because of differences between Division I and II, Bolio has two - and perhaps three - seasons of eligibility left at the University of Nebraska at Omaha.
            Translation: Couldn't make it in D-I due to the higher academic requirements and stricter transfer standards so, down to D-II and UNO.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

UNO is getting a stud. A "Stupid Stud".

Comment

:-[ :-[ :-[ I screwed up. I should have found this article and posted it with the following comment:

DOES D-2 HAVE STANDARDS ANYMORE???

No wonder SDSU went to Division I.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                  [quote author=NightHawk78 link=1153602916/0#4 date=1153605617]I don't think the USD board has a smack section, or that many members for that matter. Mavs_Rule probably thinks he can lay the most smack on USD (and SDSU since he chose UNO over us :) by posting on our board. Posting on the NCC board would be even more futile as they have next-to-no activity there.
                  You guys all missed it.  The article MavsRule posted did a fine job of smacking Division II all by itself:

Translation:  Couldn't make it in D-I due to the higher academic requirements and stricter transfer standards so, down to D-II and UNO.[/quote]

Furthur translation, USD wanted this guy and he would have madethe cut at the "Ivy League" school of the Dakota's. I wonder if there current stud RB is in the same boat? My understanding is that several players that were interested in SDSU wound up at USD for similar reasons.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Get him a tutor quick. He sounds like a stud, but doubt he'll ever play all of his eligiblity out even at UNO. Guys don't all of a sudden find themselves and start studying after spending the first 22 years of their lives not worrying about schoolwork. It just doesn't work that way.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Typical fall class list for the average UNO football player:

Intercollegiate Activities - Football (3 cr.)
                      Leadership Development (3 cr. - Note: course meets at the football practice field)
                      Physical Education - Football (3 cr.)
                      History of Football in Nebraska (3 cr.)

All of the new UNO players should be able to start their collegiate career on the right foot with this class schedule!

Comment

Do UNO Football players have to commute to Lincoln for the "History of Football in Nebraska" course, or is it an internet class? That might be a tough class for UNO players, as their football team wouldn't likely be discussed. Although, several years from now they might be mentioned, by that time football at UNO might be history. ;D
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
                          UNO is getting a stud. A "Stupid Stud".

I don't know about this young man's intelligence level, but I am told they have installed new signs in the home team locker room at UNO's football stadium recently:

They have been having water problems in Omaha lately so perhaps they are just doing the best they can with their limited dII resources.  There seems to be a lot of confusion at uno right now.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

You should also put in another sign...

"Don't Eat the Big White Mints!" ;D
                            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

hopefully these two ladies from your athletic program don't scare this "super stud" away because i know they'd scare me away from your school if your athletic departments troubles didnt. apparently not every female at UNO looks like a model :'(

Comment

Working...
                              X