this guy brings up some good points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this guy brings up some good points

Some points to ponder rabbits while you lick your wounds. Made by a guy at D2 football.

1) this is a non-scholarship program playing a scholarship program '2 levels' higher. This is not a 65 scholarship level team beating a 85 scholie team... this is a 0 scholarship team beating a 65 (well probably more like 50) scholarship (not 26, not 36).

2) overlooking a team is basically bad coaching. Sorry... that's when I really lay into a school.... If you think scholarships will upgrade your talent, you're wrong, you need good coaching too... and obviously steegs, with spring ball and fall ball to prepare for this game, came up woefully short.

3) I agree UWLC is a good team.... but they are not Mount Union or St Johns. Face, D1AA means you're a 'football school' not a 'school that offers football as an extracurricular opportunity for it's students.'

(I will say, that from everything I know about SDSU, I was surprized they upgraded to D1AA, and was extremely pessimistic on their chances to upgrade their talent... Not much tradition, not much in state talent, not much of a school/social/economic life to offer in Brookings.... I can't see how they will be able to compete with NDSU, and now UND, UNI, ISU, UNL, UMN, Iowa, and then Montana, Wyoming, etc)

Re: this guy brings up some good points

Much better quality of life than dodging bullets from drive-bys and taking in the heady aroma of the stockyards. Or has your "big-city" (HAH!) arrogance and brain damage kept you ignorant of this fact?
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavs Rule

Some points to ponder rabbits while you lick your wounds. Made by a guy at D2 football.

1) this is a non-scholarship program playing a scholarship program '2 levels' higher. This is not a 65 scholarship level team beating a 85 scholie team... this is a 0 scholarship team beating a 65 (well probably more like 50) scholarship (not 26, not 36).

2) overlooking a team is basically bad coaching. Sorry... that's when I really lay into a school.... If you think scholarships will upgrade your talent, you're wrong, you need good coaching too... and obviously steegs, with spring ball and fall ball to prepare for this game, came up woefully short.

3) I agree UWLC is a good team.... but they are not Mount Union or St Johns. Face, D1AA means you're a 'football school' not a 'school that offers football as an extracurricular opportunity for it's students.'

(I will say, that from everything I know about SDSU, I was surprized they upgraded to D1AA, and was extremely pessimistic on their chances to upgrade their talent... Not much tradition, not much in state talent, not much of a school/social/economic life to offer in Brookings.... I can't see how they will be able to compete with NDSU, and now UND, UNI, ISU, UNL, UMN, Iowa, and then Montana, Wyoming, etc)

Last time I checked, they did not just move up to d1 in football - you act like that was the only reason they moved up. They made the move for many reasons. Their football team has done pretty well for a transitional team the last couple years, with wins vs Southern, NDSU, UC Davis, and competing with Montana, Cal Poly, Georgia Southern, etc. Even with a tough schedule, they were in every game last year except the Texas State game. Will they be able to compete with UMN and Iowa? No, most likely not, but I'm not sure where that comes in to play with d1-aa football... Will one loss to Wisconsin-Lacrosse make me rethink their choice of moving up to d1? No chance. They are where they belong, and I've never seen a new d1 member not have some bumps on their road to success....Many of the teams you are speaking of took the same bumps when they decided to move to d1-aa as well...

Comment

your football team has had bumps in the road for the last 43 years.The UWL loss was an eight foot pothole.

Comment

Mav, You are in mid season form and it is only Labor Day weekend.
          You are the man!! You are to internet bulletin boards what Warren Buffett is to money.

Comment

Lets look at his points made in this paragraph.

Does SDSU have much tradition? Ah no!! The last half century will back this up.

Does South Dakota have much D1 in state talent? Ah no!! That was quite clear on Saturday.

Does Brookings have the social/economic life to offer D1 athletes? Ah big fat No!!

Who in the hell would want to play football at SDSU? ? ? ? ? ?

Comment

Let me throw it on you, you effing snob.. who in their right mind would want to play in a crime-ridden, obnoxious-smelling, stuck up hell-hole that is Omaha?
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Lets look at his points made in this paragraph.

Does SDSU have much tradition? Ah no!! The last half century will back this up.

Does South Dakota have much D1 in state talent? Ah no!! That was quite clear on Saturday.

Does Brookings have the social/economic life to offer D1 athletes? Ah big fat No!!

Who in the hell would want to play football at SDSU? ? ? ? ? ?
                Ever been to Laramie, Wyoming? Somehow, Wyo supports a decent D1A football program. I suspect if they were 1AA, they'd be really good. Are they Iowa? No. But somehow, they manage to get D1 athletes there.

Comment

Apparently Warren Buffet does not contribute to UNO's athletic department.

Comment

Mav Triplets, I have a question! Why do you take such an interest in lowely little SDSU? There must be more exciting things to do in Omaha than track the progress of the only D-I school in South Dakota? Maybe it's because you get tired of hearing about the Huskers all day!

Either way, we will just be happy to have our little school and stand behind our team and we will have the last laugh!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

According to the Mav Twins, if SDSU loses to a D-III team, we suck and always have. If we had barely beaten the D-III team, we still suck and always have. If we blow out a D-III team like last year, we still suck and always have. To sum it up, the Mav Twins will always say we suck and always have if we continue playing D-III teams. The same can be said if we play a D-II, D1-AA or D-1A team. It is pointless to even try and have a rational conversation with them, they are like a broken record.

The only good thing is that we are going to play Montana this week and I think the Jacks have a chip on their shoulder from last year and I think they are upset with the outcome of the UWL game. I look forward to a different team this week.

Go Jacks!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Does SDSU have much tradition?   Ah no!!   The last half century will back this up.

He's got a point. Your football team doesn't have much tradition. I think you've made the playoffs just one time and that was in the 1960's????

Comment

Actually, 1979 to be exact.

And that's a reason for moving up... to break the doldrums and challenge ourselves, and get better.

Losing on Saturday was like failing a pop quiz, the real tests come up starting Saturday.
                          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by uncbearsfan
                            [quote author=Mavs Rule link=1157318867/0#5 date=1157343574]

Does SDSU have much tradition?   Ah no!!   The last half century will back this up.

He's got a point. Your football team doesn't have much tradition.  I think you've made the playoffs just one time and that was in the 1960's????
                            [/quote]

UNCbearsfan,

Let me help you a bit. I think you have been conference champion just one time in the last 43 years and that was 1963.

Comment

Originally posted by uncbearsfan
                              [quote author=Mavs Rule link=1157318867/0#5 date=1157343574]

He's got a point. Your football team doesn't have much tradition.  I think you've made the playoffs just one time and that was in the 1960's????
                              [/quote]

Excellent post from a guy who claimed he would not pile on after this loss and also from a school who just recently suffered through a 2 win season after starting their 1AA life with so much promise. I'd hesitate to pile on if I was from UNC. You just don't have any ammo. For a school who can claim a better tradition than SDSU, you'd love to have had our record in the last 2 seasons.
                              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                              X