Can't spell fraud without u-n-o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't spell fraud without u-n-o

And mavgirls, please spare us the predictable response of, "At least we didn't lose to UWL." You might want to worry about your own problems for a change. Here are a couple of highlights. Read it all at: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=...;u_sid=2238023 I'm sure there will be much more to follow.

Former UNO aide had charged for wife's trips to Alaska, Hawaii

When a top aide to UNO Chancellor Nancy Belck traveled to a university administrators' conference in Baltimore a year ago, the extra bills piled up.

Vice Chancellor Jim Buck spent $301 so his wife, Joyce, could fly along with him.

They ate dinner together nightly at some of the city's finest restaurants, spending $226 for a meal at an elegant eatery that featured tuxedoed waiters, fresh-cut flowers and well-padded chairs. They spent an average of $153 each of their five nights out.

They teed it up at a Pete Dye-designed golf course considered one of the nation's best, at a cost of $270. On an outing with a guest, they spent $59 on "refreshments."

Then Buck charged it all to the university's financially troubled athletic department.

Among other costs Buck billed to the athletic department: a $100 Ducks Unlimited banquet; $350 for membership in United Airlines' "Red Carpet Club;" $1,000 tickets for Buck and his wife to attend a special dinner for the grand opening of the Holland Performing Arts Center; $1,750 for an office holiday party; satellite radio and OnStar computer mapping services for his leased 2004 Cadillac DeVille; and two trips for him and his wife to the NCAA basketball Final Four.

Buck has not returned repeated phone calls from The World-Herald.

In all, Buck and his wife spent $4,337 in athletic funds on travel, lodging and meals during five-day trips to the NCAA's basketball Final Four in 2004 and 2005.

His expense reports indicated he was attending the St. Louis and San Antonio tournaments "on behalf of Chancellor Belck at her request."

Belck disputes that.

She said she received Final Four tickets because of her position on an NCAA council of university presidents. When Buck expressed interest in attending, she gave him the passes, but she said she never requested he go.

She said there probably was some networking benefit for UNO athletics by his attendance.

Herbster, UNO's athletic director, said he didn't even know Buck and his wife had attended the Final Four at athletic department expense. He questioned how UNO could have benefited from such travel.

"You'd have to ask him how he represented the university at a Division I Final Four when we are a Division II institution," Herbster said.

Last spring, the Bucks wrote a $500 personal check so he, his wife, daughter and son-in-law could play in a UNO athletics fundraising golf tournament. He then turned around and billed the athletic department for reimbursement of those costs.

On at least two previous occasions, Buck also was reimbursed for his participation in the tournament. He similarly two years ago pledged $100 to the UNO women's walk, one of the athletic department's main fundraising events, and was later reimbursed.

In mid-June, Buck paid $736 for his wife's airline ticket so she could fly with him for a business conference in Hawaii - his last expenditure from the athletic fund.

A week after he bought the ticket, UNO laid off five employees because of budget shortfalls in the athletic department.

Good luck with that, ladies.
    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
    --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Re: Can't spell fraud without u-n-o

"At least we didn't lose to UWL."

Comment

I'd rather lose to UW-L then lose my football team. ;D

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by Mavs Rule
        For some reason, this made me laugh really hard. I tip my hat to you Mavs Rule, your sarcasm doesn't go unoticed. ;D

Comment

Or, you could have went with, "Mike Frickin Nelke!"

Comment

Anyone know where I can get a pair of tickets to next years final four?

Comment

Anyone know where I can get a pair of tickets to next years final four?
              Mav, you're killing me tonight.

Comment

By the way, if you do have a pair of tickets just text message me. I am not answering my phone right now.

Comment

Actually, that article requires a registration, but if you go to bugmenot.com, there's logins that'll work for accessing the story.

I wonder if "golden boy" could scam me some Super Bowl Tickets?
                  I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

In the article, it says he spent 12-bucks on tipping the bellhops at the St. Louis Renaissance Hotel...

Golden boy, you're embezzling thousands of dollars from UNO and bleeding the Athletic department dry... the LEAST you can do is give the "working stiffs" a bigger tip, you effing cheapskate!

The arrogance of some embezzlers, right, Mav Twins?

In Golden Boy's case, you can't spell "fraud" without a big "F-U" to the UNO athletic department.
                    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I got your tickets right here.
                      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Is that how many tickets you're selling, or is that how much your asking for the tix?
                        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

What I find most awesome is that with all the turmoil that is going on at UNO, our coaches have ignored what is going on off the field while kicking arse on it. All our fall teams are undefeated. While no turmoil is going on at SDSU and your losing to intramural teams. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Comment

What I find most awesome is that with all the turmoil that is going on at UNO, our coaches have ignored what is going on off the field while kicking arse on it. All our fall teams are undefeated. While no turmoil is going on at SDSU and your losing to intramural teams. It just doesn't get any better than that.  

All of your teams are playing like there's no tomorrow. Which, in reality, is true.

Comment

Lets not forget that up until now all of the teams you have played have been patty cakes. ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X