• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• usdII Scrambles to find $100,000 to pay Abbott

http://keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=0,51389

09/29/2006

University Salary Needs To Come From Regents

The University of South Dakota is going to have to find close to $100,000 in its budget to pay President Jim Abbott. He's not getting a raise. The money is a portion of the $270,000 salary he is promised.

It used to come from a private source, but that's going to change.

A private foundation called the USD Foundation used to pay that $93,000 portion of President Jim Abbott's salary. But the board of regents isn't allowing that anymore because if the foundation for one state college is willing to donate more than the private foundation for another, the state would have to pay a bigger portion of that president's salary.

As it turns out, most of the students Abbott oversees didn't even realize his salary was coming from different sources............

............The students we talked to hope cuts from other areas won't be needed to find the money to pay Abbott. But they do not have a problem with the money coming from University's budget.................

........................Abbot makes $30,000 less than the new SDSU president David Chicoine. It was when they hired Chicoine that the regents decided university president salaries must come entirely from the state, so that they are each fair in comparison.............

.............President Abbott's office has about a month to figure out where that $93,000 dollars will come from, and that's when everything will become official at the next regent meeting.

Here's how Abbott and Chicoine's salaries compare to university presidents from neighboring states:

Abbott (USD): $270,000
    Chicoine (SDSU): $300,000
    University of Minnesota, Twin Cities: $453,000
    Minnesota State: $341,000
    Iowa State: $368,000
    University of Iowa: $309,000
    North Dakota (NDSU): $229,000
    University of North Dakota (UND): $203,000

Classic case of usdII trying to keep up with SDSU (DI). Looks like they are going to have to drop another sport?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Re: usdII Scrambles to find $100,000 to pay Abbott

JBNJBQ,

Abbot was making close to $100,000 more than President Miller.  Finally, beginning in January, SDSU's president will get paid what they deserve.  The BOR recently decided that all of Mr. Abbot's salary had to come entirely from the university budget rather than have a portion ($100,000) come from the USD Foundation.

I'm not sure what your getting at with this "smack", other than Abbott was paid nearly $100,000 more than Miller and will be paid $30,000 less than Chicoine.

Comment

To me, the smack aspect is one or both of two aspects:
      1) is the oblique blaming of SDSU for USD's having to cough up the money to pay Abbott (i.e. 'it's SDSU's fault that the Regents decided that foundations can't pay university presidents any more.') Or,

2) perhaps it's the smack-worthyness of USD appearing to whine about it while SDSU just quietly goes about the business of figuring out how to pay for it.

There are obvious problems with allowing your senior, policy-making, management employees to be paid by an organization that you don't control. As much as I think the Regents are prone to hypersecretive ham-handed micromanagment much of the time, this particular policy actually makes sense.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
        JBNJBQ,

Abbot was making close to $100,000 more than President Miller.  Finally, beginning in January, SDSU's president will get paid what they deserve.  The BOR recently decided that all of Mr. Abbot's salary had to come entirely from the university budget rather than have a portion ($100,000) come from the USD Foundation.

I'm not sure what your getting at with this "smack", other than Abbott was paid nearly $100,000 more than Miller and will be paid $30,000 less than Chicoine.

Actually President Miller was making $273,000, a little more then Abbot, according to the Sioux Falls Argus Leader.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...WS01/609250336

.  .  .  .  The regents this morning will announce a replacement for retiring SDSU President Peggy Miller. She and heads of the other public universities have been getting outside money to supplement state dollars for their pay for several years.

Miller's salary, for example, includes $180,127 in state money, says Tad Perry, executive director of the state Board of Regents. It also includes a deferred compensation package paid for by the SDSU Foundation, the fundraiser affiliated with the school.

Perry said the total compensation for Miller is about $273,000 - similar to the salaries being paid University of South Dakota President Jim Abbott and School of Mines and Technology President Charles Ruch. In those two cases, public money paid $180,127 of the salary; private foundation money accounted for the rest.
        .  .  .  

Go State!  

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
          [quote author=Rabbitlivinginverm link=1159617949/0#1 date=1159629338]JBNJBQ,

Actually President Miller was making $273,000, a little more then Abbot, according to the Sioux Falls Argus Leader.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...WS01/609250336

.  .  .  .  The regents this morning will announce a replacement for retiring SDSU President Peggy Miller. She and heads of the other public universities have been getting outside money to supplement state dollars for their pay for several years.

Miller's salary, for example, includes $180,127 in state money, says Tad Perry, executive director of the state Board of Regents. It also includes a deferred compensation package paid for by the SDSU Foundation, the fundraiser affiliated with the school.

Perry said the total compensation for Miller is about $273,000 - similar to the salaries being paid University of South Dakota President Jim Abbott and School of Mines and Technology President Charles Ruch. In those two cases, public money paid $180,127 of the salary; private foundation money accounted for the rest.
          .  .  .  

Go State!  

[/quote]

Or, according to your same source but different article, President Miller paid $185,000 by the BOR.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...73251579463315

With a salary of $185,000 a year, Miller is the lowest-paid land-grant university president in the country. Land grant universities are state schools at which the federal government designates programs.
          By all accounts, their salaries were very similar. Both being compensated by private funds. I still don't see where this constitutes smack. At best, it's childish.

Comment

Can't you just picture Jim Abbott looking under every rock trying to find 100k to pay himself what he is owed. usdII wants to go DI but their recent history has been to cut sports because of money shortages rather than add sports for women. I have never heard anyone mention how much money Jim makes until the new SDSU president was given 300k. Now I am sure he has to feel left behind again. There is irony there if you look for it.

In my opinion anything usdII flavored should go in the smack section because it will wind up there anyway eventually. I'm just trying to save filbert some time and trouble.

By the way. usdII got beat today 24-0 by a 1st year DIAA team. Welcome to the real world. So much for "a top level dII team being able to beat middle level DIAA teams. How would they like to play a team like that every week of the season. They had better stay dII. It's safer.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

No wonder USeD was not eager to find a way to keep Northern Iowa on the schedule. 8-) 8-) 8-)

As for the finding the $100,000 to pay their president, couldn't the USeD Foundation just transfer $100,00 to some fund (say the history program) and the money eventually finds it way to Abbott's paycheck (by reallocating the $100K from history to admin)???

I think the Regents did the right thing by saying that 1) the foundations could not control the salary levels of the presidents and 2) making sure that foundations could not simply yank the rug away (withhold money) from the president if he or she does something that the foundation did not like. Kelo must have realized that the sky was going to be clear today and realized that they had to come up with a story to use as filler.......

Comment

Working...
              X