PDA

View Full Version : UNO is irrelevant

JBNJBQ
09-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Interesting.......

I paid a visit to the uno (dII) board to see if any SDSU people have been over there taking shots at their faithful these past weeks when their program was coming apart from the top down.

Not one person has bothered.

Conclusion.....

uno (dII) and their fans are irrelevant.

SDSU, on the other hand, win or lose, is the measuring stick other area teams use to determine whether they should feel good about their program, or not. That's the way it is in DI. All the lesser divisions prepare for months just to give themselves a chance to knock you off (those that are brave enough to try).

Those that are afraid to try appear in swarms when one of their own does well. They see an opening to chatter their little man talk. It is just that talk. Few of them have the nerve to actually step onto the playing field with us, because they know what happened Saturday just doesn't happen very often at CAS.

So chatter on little men, we have Big D-I fish in our pond to worry about in the weeks to come.

uno (dII) and their fans, on the other hand remain "irrelevant". ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

SUPERBUNNY
09-05-2006, 10:47 AM
I've been saying this for months!

The more we respond to the Mav Triplets the more they hang around!

SUPERBUNNY

NightHawk78
09-06-2006, 12:46 AM
There are only two (Mavs Rule and MAVPOWER) fans of the University of No Opportunity on this board if memory serves me correctly. MAVPOWER has used several different names over the course of time....

JBNJBQ
09-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Looks like you don't always get what you pay for.......

Published Tuesday
September 12, 2006

UNO Chancellor Nancy Belck resigns

BY HENRY J. CORDES AND MATTHEW HANSEN

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITERS

RELATED STORIES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Former UNO aide had charged for wife's trips to Alaska, Hawaii

NU chief says UNO lacked 'good judgment' on spending

Regents criticize 'loose' UNO spending oversight

Expense record altered by Belck

Expense alteration spurs talk of whether Belck should resign

Nancy Belck - the chancellor who saw UNO through a decade of unprecedented transformation and growth - resigned her post today in the face of controversy over her alteration of an expense record.

Nancy Belck

Her resignation followed a cascading series of events that began with the June layoffs of five employees from the university's athletic department.

It was soon revealed by UNO officials that the deficits in athletics had been going on for five years, prompting Belck to divert $2 million in university funds to athletics to keep the department afloat.

Then came revelations that her top aide, Vice Chancellor Jim Buck, had been receiving perks funded out of the athletic budget, including a Cadillac and country club membership, even as the department was seriously in debt.

After prevailing in a public records dispute, The World-Herald last week published the full extent of Buck's spending of university funds. He spent thousands of dollars on trips to the NCAA Final Four, travel by his wife, expensive dinners and golf outings, even billing athletics for his own charitable donations to the department.

The records also included an expensive dinner Belck, Buck and their spouses hosted at the 2004 NCAA convention at one of Nashville's finest restaurants. The tab was $1,263 for eight people.

It was that record that Belck altered to suggest there were also "select NCAA Division II staff'' present at the dinner. When asked about the discrepancy, she said she made the change for accuracy, reflecting her assertion there were others at the dinner that inflated the tab.

However, four athletics officials present at the dinner said the original Buck record reflecting eight diners was correct.

Belck submitted her resignation to NU President James B. Milliken, effective immediately.

The chancellor, who came to the University of Nebraska at Omaha in 1997, said recent news reports about her travel expenditures and those of former top aide Buck had diminished her ability to lead the campus.

"As a metropolitan university, UNO must continue to move forward," Belck said.

"Unfortunately, because of the environment created by events of the past several weeks, I can no longer provide effective leadership. In the best interest of UNO, I believe removing myself from this controversy is the most appropriate course of action," she said.

Milliken named John Christensen, UNO vice chancellor of academic and student affairs, as interim chancellor.

"The immediate task at hand is to recapture UNO's momentum and turn our attention to important priorities and opportunities for the campus," the NU president said.

"John Christensen is a seasoned administrator and a man of great integrity, and I am confident that he will provide the leadership needed now to move UNO forward," Milliken said.

Milliken said Belck had "provided thoughtful and energetic leadership for the University of Nebraska at Omaha for the past nine years.

"She has guided the campus during a period of significant growth and accomplishment, mobilizing university and community leaders in a common effort to develop and implement a strategic vision for UNO," he said.

The NU president cited several examples, including the Peter Kiewit Institute's growing reputation as an innovative and competitive programs in the nation in information science and technology, as well as UNO's new role in central Omaha revitalization.

Jim McClurg, chairman of the NU Board of Regents, said, Belck's decision to step down "demonstrates that her concern for the community, the state and the university supersedes her own interests. Her accomplishments as chancellor will have a lasting impact on the campus and have greatly benefited the faculty and students of UNO."

NightHawk78
09-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Congratulations to the Mav twins and the rest of the UNO fan base! There is yet hope in Omaha. 8-) 8-) 8-)

jackrabit1
09-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Wonder if there's gonna be criminal charges?

Mavs_Rule
09-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Good bye Hilary Belck!!!! Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out. I respect Osama Bin Laden more than I do you. At least you could have kissed us before you screwed us. Now you can take your Cadilac driving, country club membering boyfriend (slave) with you. Thanks for running our athletic program into the ground you female dog (can't use the word I want). Great day for UNO athletics!!!

JBNJBQ
09-12-2006, 06:41 PM
Good bye Hilary Belck!!!!............... I respect Osama Bin Laden more than I do you..................

That statement brings confirmation to what many of us have believed for some time.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

MAVPOWER
09-13-2006, 11:38 AM
So now with Dr Miller's retirement there will be 2 college president openings - one in SD and one in beautiful Omaha, Ne. You can either choose to live in a thriving metropolitan area and get paid a just wage (Belck was making 217k) or else you can live rurally with limited cultural opportunities, nasty winters, and be the lowest paid land grand pres in this great country of ours. No. 50 out of 50!! I know what most people would choose.
;D

JackTwice
09-13-2006, 11:46 AM
No facts no sense. Another Mav winner.

It has been said our new president will be paid near 300k. If you compare the cost of living in your thriving metropolis compared to our sleepy community that number becomes significantly larger.

jacksfaninne
09-13-2006, 12:10 PM
So now with Dr Miller's retirement there will be 2 college president openings - one in SD and one in beautiful Omaha, Ne. You can either choose to live in a thriving metropolitan area and get paid a just wage (Belck was making 217k) or else you can live rurally with limited cultural opportunities, nasty winters, and be the lowest paid land grand pres in this great country of ours. No. 50 out of 50!! I know what most people would choose.
;D
For the only difference that matters, please see the subject line of this thread.

jackrabit1
09-13-2006, 12:49 PM
;D

Actually it should read like this....

You can choose to live in Brookings, South Dakota, where there is a fantastic quality of life, outstanding education, low crime rate, low taxes, a dynamic buisness culture with such known businesses as 3M, Daktronics, and Larson Manufacturing. Plus you'll work at a progressive, dynamic university with an outstanding reputation for research, alumni support, as well as a strong academic focus.

Or you can live in Omaha... take in the wonderful, heady aroma of the stockyards, wear fashionable bulletproof vests to and from work, and work with remnants of a corrupt and criminal administration that used the athletic department budget as its own personal piggy bank.

And remeber, the only good thing to come out of Omaha is I-80! I-29 doesn't even want to associate itself with Omaha!

Mavs_Rule
09-13-2006, 01:19 PM
;D

The job in Omaha is a good opportunity for someone to come in here and turns things around. All you have to do, is look better than Belck(which a monkey could do) and you come out smelling like a rose. If you come in and make great things happen.. you are a hero. SDSU's new president has a tougher job of keeping up the good job that Miller did and they also have to watch a lot of sporting events where the Rabbits get their arse kicked. Seems like a no brainer to me.

CatchEmAll
09-13-2006, 01:23 PM
The job in Omaha is a good opportunity for someone to come in here and turns things around. All you have to do, is look better than Belck(which a monkey could do) and you come out smelling like a rose. If you come in and make great things happen.. you are a hero. SDSU's new president has a tougher job of keeping up the good job that Miller did and they also have to watch a lot of sporting events where the Rabbits get their arse kicked. Seems like a no brainer to me.

I believe that looks like a compliment of sorts for an SDSU person. I think someone is getting a little soft spot for SDSU, just a little one.

MAVPOWER
09-13-2006, 04:57 PM
When someone sees a written confirmation that your president will be paid 300k please post it. I am highly skeptical. I am originally from Missouri - "Show Me" the evidence.
SDSU has outstanding alumni support? Can't they then pony up some money to get some new fb stands and can't they get more than a lousy 6k for a d1aa fb team? High quality of life in Brookings? - I guess if you love fast food, bad winters, 6 dollar an hour jobs, a d1 team that can't beat non scholarship schools then it is a truly great place to live. I mean Brookings is an alright place - but I don't think many reasonable people would consider it high quality living. It is OK living.

***** Remember the 2nd richest man in the WORLD chooses to live in Omaha - not Brookings, SD.

NightHawk78
09-13-2006, 06:36 PM
***** Remember the 2nd richest man in the WORLD chooses to live in Omaha - not Brookings, SD.
How much money has Mr. Buffett given to UNO? Besides, Brookings has its share of well-to-do citizens.

Mavs_Rule
09-13-2006, 09:15 PM
[quote author=MAVPOWER link=1157385913/0#14 date=1158184623]
Besides, Brookings has its share of well-to-do citizens.

I am sure they do. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/jr4311/cans.gif

jacksfaninne
09-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Remember the 2nd richest man in the WORLD chooses to live in Omaha
And if you ask him about uno, he'll tell you it's a darn fun card game.

JBNJBQ
09-19-2006, 07:32 PM
How much money has Mr. Buffett given to UNO? Besides, Brookings has its share of well-to-do citizens.

http://www.ldstoday.com/home/level2/images/buffet-h.jpg

Looks like Warren has a favorite team but it is not in Nebraska......

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

jackmd
09-20-2006, 03:22 PM
This may be the case, but I am headed to Omaha next weekend (Sept 29th) and I am looking for some tips. Believe it or not I think advice from the Mav boys would be welcome.

Looking for a place to grab a casual dinner and some drinks and then a night spot with live music or another form of entertainment. We are staying near the Crossroads mall and UNO campus.

Need to catch the SDSU game so headphones would have to be acceptable ;D.

Are the Mavs in town? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

CatchEmAll
09-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Is there still a Hooters on Dodge? My dad, brother and I went there before a wedding back in '94 - good times :)

Mavs_Rule
09-22-2006, 11:13 AM
This may be the case, but I am headed to Omaha next weekend (Sept 29th) and I am looking for some tips. Believe it or not I think advice from the Mav boys would be welcome.

Looking for a place to grab a casual dinner and some drinks and then a night spot with live music or another form of entertainment. We are staying near the Crossroads mall and UNO campus.

Jack MD,

There is a new smoke free sports bar on 74th and Dodge called Indigo Joe's. Not my favorite sports bar in town but it is nice. If you are looking for some fine dining go up to the Westroads Mall which is west of there on 102nd and Dodge. You have Macaroni Grill and P.F. Chang's. The best restraunt that I have ever ate at in Omaha is just south of the Mall in Regency. It is called Flemings. It is more upscale and will drop you a Benjamin for two people, but it is worth it. Another option is Village Pointe on 168th and Dodge about ten miles west of where you are at. There is great shopping and so many great restraunts it is crazy. Make sure you take the new expressway to the right just past the interstate to get there faster. Not sure what kind of music you listen to but there is good night life to be had in Omaha. Let me know what you like. You can also never go wrong in the Old Market downtown. Great food and atmosphere. Let me know if you have any other questions and let me know how your trip went.

mavs #1

jackmd
09-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Very helpful, thanks for the info.

I will definitely stop at Indigo Joe's. Any smoke-free business will get my patronage in preference to others. Village Pointe sounds good. My wife likes PF Changs. If my brother and his wife want an upscale place Flemings sounds like it will do the trick.

What do you know about the Drover (sp?)?

As for music, anything will do.

Rabbitlivinginverm
09-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Hey Mav Twins:

Any idea on where I can get my hands on couple of tix for the DI Volleyball championships in December?

Mavs_Rule
09-22-2006, 11:49 AM
Hey Mav Twins:

Any idea on where I can get my hands on couple of tix for the DI Volleyball championships in December?

Rabbit Verm,

I would wait to see if the Huskers are in it. If they don't make it tickets will be easy to get. Google "Ticket Express Omaha" and I believe they have tickets available.

Mavs_Rule
09-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Very helpful, thanks for the info.

I will definitely stop at Indigo Joe's. Any smoke-free business will get my patronage in preference to others. Village Pointe sounds good. My wife likes PF Changs. If my brother and his wife want an upscale place Flemings sounds like it will do the trick.

What do you know about the Drover (sp?)?

As for music, anything will do.

http://www.omahanightlife.com/barsclubs.php

Can't go wrong with the Drover. Great steaks and romantic atmosphere. Still prefer Flemings steaks. Melting Pot out at Village Point is fun dining experience. Great sports bar at Village point called the Scarlet and Cream Letter Club opened by ex-huskers including Scott Frost. Let the women shop while you watch football.

http://www.villagepointeshopping.com/stores.asp

Rabbitlivinginverm
09-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Hey Mav Twins:

Rabbit Verm,

I would wait to see if the Huskers are in it. If they don't make it tickets will be easy to get. Google "Ticket Express Omaha" and I believe they have tickets available.

I've checked them out a couple of times. Tix are very expensive there (around $200/ticket). I'm not spending that much on tix. Heck, I only got $110/ticket for Red Sox vs. Yankees (in NY) last Saturday night. I have a friend who lives in Omaha who's also looking for tickets. He said the same thing, if the Huskers don't make it, tickets will be all over the place.

Mavs_Rule
09-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Hey Mav Twins:

Rabbit Verm,

I've checked them out a couple of times. Tix are very expensive there (around $200/ticket). I'm not spending that much on tix. Heck, I only got $110/ticket for Red Sox vs. Yankees (in NY) last Saturday night. I have a friend who lives in Omaha who's also looking for tickets. He said the same thing, if the Huskers don't make it, tickets will be all over the place.

This weekend Nebraska plays Creighton at the Qwest center and they are trying to break the single game attendence record for a Ncaa volleyball game of 12,500. They already have 10,000 sold. Might want to try e-bay closer to game. They just added 1,500 seats to the Qwest this summer and it might be worth checking if they have sold those tickets yet.

JBNJBQ
09-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Hey Mav Twins:

Rabbit Verm,

This weekend Nebraska plays Creighton at the Qwest center and they are trying to break the single game attendence record for a Ncaa volleyball game of 12,500. They already have 10,000 sold. Might want to try e-bay closer to game. They just added 1,500 seats to the Qwest this summer and it might be worth checking if they have sold those tickets yet.

If they really wanted to break the record Nebraska should have scheduled a good team to play (SDSU). Probably didn't want to risk losing to us again in another sport? Go Jacks Volleyball! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
09-25-2006, 01:32 PM
last time I was in Omaha for pleasure, we ate at a place tucked into the old market. It was in a little alley off the market. The alley was a narrow brick lined walkway with shops on all sides. Very good eats and a good wine selection. Can't remember the name though as it's been a couple years since we went there. Any idea what I'm talking about, either Mav? You had to take a couple steps down from the main walkway to get into the place. Not sure if this helps.

Mavs_Rule
09-25-2006, 06:55 PM
last time I was in Omaha for pleasure, we ate at a place tucked into the old market. It was in a little alley off the market. The alley was a narrow brick lined walkway with shops on all sides. Very good eats and a good wine selection. Can't remember the name though as it's been a couple years since we went there. Any idea what I'm talking about, either Mav? You had to take a couple steps down from the main walkway to get into the place. Not sure if this helps.

www.vmertz.com

JBNJBQ
09-27-2006, 06:47 AM

If they really wanted to break the record Nebraska should have scheduled a good team to play (SDSU). Probably didn't want to risk losing to us again in another sport? Go Jacks Volleyball! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

UPDATE:

#1 rated Nebraska defeats Creighton 27-30, 30-24, 30-13, 30-18

..................SDSU defeated Creighton 30-31, 30-24, 30-25, 30-25

hmmmmmmmmmm? Go Jacks!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Haldersham
09-27-2006, 07:44 AM
Over the weekend a significant out come happened and it maybe it waa posted elsewhere.

SDSU defeated UNO in tennis 8 to 5 I believe. I guess the Mavs will not pick on the Jacks until they go D1. When is that going to happnen? NEVER!

MAVPOWER
09-27-2006, 12:41 PM
sdsu beating creighton is a signficant outcome - can't say the same for tennis. I lost interest in tennis about the same time that connors and mcenroe retired. I don't even know if it was published in the Omaha World Herald or else it was buried so deep nobody noticed.But then when wins are in short supply in SD you have to celebrate whenever you can.
The bad news is that it looks like a bleak winter in men's bb - the good news is the mid continent is coming to town and there are a lot of crappy teams in that conference you CAN beat.

NightHawk78
09-27-2006, 01:55 PM
We actually have a lot of promising young talent that will be taking the court this fall; you might be surprised, Mavpower. As for wins being in short supply, you haven't been paying attention; our women's basketball program has had twenty straight winning seasons!

As for being in the Mid-Con, it will be awesome when we win the conference tournament and make the Big Dance. Meanwhile, UNO (if they still have an athletic program) will be lucky to break .500 in whatever conference they slide into after the NCC goes under.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
09-27-2006, 01:56 PM

www.vmertz.com

That's the place. Doc, if you're looking for a nice place to wine and dine the missus, this is the place. Not crazy expensive, but expensive enough that you wouldn't want to eat there every week. Very neat atmosphere and a good wine selection. Thanks for the info, Mav Rule.

JBNJBQ
09-28-2006, 07:37 PM
IN A BOLD MOVE TO BRING RELEVANCE TO A SMALL FAILING UNIVERSITY (unodII) PRODUCERS OF THE REALITY SHOW "TOMMY GOES TO COLLEGE" HAVE DECIDED TO MOVE THEIR PRODUCTION COMPANY TO OMAHA TO AIR A NEW REALITY SHOW CALLED
"TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN"

http://www.pr.com/upload/article_image_1121280478.jpg

THE SHOW WILL FEATURE ROCKER TOMMY (I LIKE BIG MEALS) LEE, WHO WILL SEEK TO BECOME THE unodII CHANCELLOR. School officials could not be reached for comment.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Mavs_Rule
10-02-2006, 09:30 PM

Doc,

How was the trip and where did you go?

JBNJBQ
10-02-2006, 09:52 PM
go ahead Doc talk to him.

No one on his own board will.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Mavs_Rule
10-03-2006, 04:34 AM
go ahead Doc talk to him.

No one on his own board will.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Go away loser!

JBNJBQ
10-03-2006, 06:10 AM
I really hurt you with that one, didn't I?

A loser is someone who goes to another (higher class) school's board and posts every stupid thing they can think of to get attention and response from the faithful. They are not welcome on their own board because of their anger at everything and everyone.

You will notice that even though I usually frequent the "smack" section here I have never bothered to post anything on the
uno(dII) board.

If you would like to know why, just check the heading of this thread.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ