Scoreboard Omaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoreboard Omaha

I will translate this article for you. I am tired of living in hickville and want to go to the big city to play my basketball. Looks like the land grant D1 school is having trouble keeping best athletes home. Chalk one up for Omaha.

Big scorer from South Dakota picks CU women

MITCHELL, S.D. (AP) - One of the best girls basketball players in South Dakota history has decided to attend college at Creighton.

Mitchell Christian High School senior Jill Young is fourth on the state's all-time scoring list.

Young said her final choices came down to South Dakota State and Creighton.

"It was a pretty tough decision," Young told the Daily Republic. "I have a lot of respect for South Dakota State and Aaron Johnston. I wanted to be close to home and both schools were. I just kind of knew Creighton was the place I wanted to go. I felt comfortable with the coaching staff, and I felt it was the best fit for me."

The Mitchell Christian athlete averaged 31 points a game and scored 765 points this past season to break the all-time single season state record of 760 points. Mitchell Christian won the Class B state championship.

Young also set the state record for 3-pointers in a season with 105. She already owns the state career record for 3-pointers with 386.

"It's definitely a weight off my shoulders. I'm glad it's over," she said. "It's been fun, but it's also been stressful. I felt I made the right decision because now I can just focus on basketball for my senior year and get ready to play college ball.

"I wanted to play at the highest level of basketball possible. When I first went to Creighton in May, there was something different about it. That's why I liked it."

Contact the Omaha World-Herald newsroom

Re: Scoreboard Omaha

No biggie... we're not going to get everyone and that's okay. At least she went to a REAL school and not that other one in Omaha that has to glam off Nebraska's name!
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Honestly, I couldn't give a rip where Jill went. We already got a strong class for next year, and she is kind of use to being given the ball and being the main scorer, and I doubt that is what AJ would want for her to be.

Comment

There's no such thing as a "Ball Hog" on AJ's teams.
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

2005-06 season:
          Creighton: 19-10, 1,173 average home attendance
          South Dakota State: 19-9, 1,905 average home attendance

Better winning percentage, higher home attendance than the "big city" school (and we're not even at the full 15 scholarships). I think we'll be fine without Miss Young, although I'm sure if she gets homesick and wants to come back closer to home, she'll be welcomed by AJ and the coaching staff.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1
            There's no such thing as a "Ball Hog" on AJ's teams.
            Thats exactly what I'm saying. She really isn't use to the team as a whole concept. In my opinion that is.

Comment

not if you watched last year's B final... how many shots did she attempt? 35? 40? Crikey!

*** AW, SWEET! I'M A JUNIOR NOW *** BLUE MOON'S ALL AROUND, PUT EM ON MY TAB!!!
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                 I think we'll be fine without Miss Young, although I'm sure if she gets homesick and wants to come back closer to home, she'll be welcomed by AJ and the coaching staff.
                I have to respectfully disagree with this statement, filbert.

I remember all the hoopla about the twins from Mitchell choosing to go to a Texas school. They were supposed to be the hottest b-ball players in the state at the time. SDSU played them twice and both times they were shut down by SDSU guards that were quicker and played better defense. SDSU won both those games.

After two years (most thought it would take only one) they came back to SD to play dII ball at usdII.  AJ doesn't always want the "best player" in the state unless they are really big or really quick. They have to be able to run the court, share the ball and play defense. Everyone is capable of shooting the ball or they wouldn't be playing at the DI level.

Comment

I think we should use caution in our remarks about high school students on this board. Miss Young has made the decision that she feels is best for her. We should respect her and respect her decision. Please, no smack directed toward high school students.

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack
                    I think we should use caution in our remarks about high school students on this board. Miss Young has made the decision that she feels is best for her. We should respect her and respect her decision. Please, no smack directed toward high school students.
                    I for one did not intend smack. Because Miss Young had narrowed her choices to SDSU and Creighton, it's reasonable to assume that she was being recruited by SDSU. Therefore, should she, for whatever reason become dissatisfied with Creighton, it's further reasonable to assume that (all things being equal) she'd be welcome at the other of her two finalist schools. I assume that both she and the SDSU coaching staff would not burn bridges with one another. I grant that this is a bundle of assumptions but I hope I'm assuming goodwill from all parties.

I wish for her nothing but success in basketball and in life--if her college basketball career begins and ends at Creighton, I am content. If her path leads her back to South Dakota and SDSU, I am similarly content.

I realize that Mavs_Rule grasps at any wisp to continue his mildly amusing attempts at smack. That's why we keep him around (or so I'm told.)
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack
                      I think we should use caution in our remarks about high school students on this board.  Miss Young has made the decision that she feels is best for her.  We should respect her and respect her decision.  Please, no smack directed toward high school students.
                      Agree 100%. Jill said it plain and simple. She chose Creighton because she felt it was right for her. Thats it and thats that. Best of luck to Jill, I am sure there is a sense of relief knowing where she will be the next 4 years.

Same for the Hoffman twins. They made their choices and when things didn't work out as well as they hoped they adjusted. Good for them.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Yes Jill shoots the ball a lot but her team requires her to do that. I personally don't think she is as big a ball hog as some people may think.

Comment

I respect Ms. Young's choice and often it does happen that when a first choice by the perspective student athlete does not work out, its very common for the student athlete to transfer to his/her second choice. If this is the path ahead for Jill Young, I am sure AJ will find a spot for her. I have heard so many positive comments about Jill Young, but have never seen her play.

I do think AJ has enough people right now and there is no reason not to expect another exciting season. Maybe with Jill Young it could be better but we will probably never know until she transfers to SDSU.

I always have thought it was a good idea to keep in touch with the athletes that are recruited but choose another school besides SDSU. I do give Dave Boots some credit for this technique as he has had a several D1 transfers and has two or three coming in this coming year.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                            I respect Ms. Young's choice and often it does happen that when a first choice by the perspective student athlete does not work out, its very common for the student athlete to transfer to his/her second choice. If this is the path ahead for Jill Young, I am sure AJ will find a spot for her. I have heard so many positive comments about Jill Young, but have never seen her play.

I do think AJ has enough people right now and there is no reason not to expect another exciting season. Maybe with Jill Young it could be better but we will probably never know until she transfers to SDSU.

I always have thought it was a good idea to keep in touch with the athletes that are recruited but choose another school besides SDSU. I do give Dave Boots some credit for this technique as he has had a several D1 transfers and has two or three coming in this coming year.
                            I would not be surprised if it would be an NCAA violation for a school to contact a student who's signed a letter of intent with another program. I'd guess it would be permissable if the student makes the contact but it seems to me that this would be an awfully sensitive area. I'm pretty sure that once a LOI is signed, you can't "recruit" that student any more.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I don't know what the date of the original article was but there is no signing period in October so unless she signed last spring it just a verbal.

Schools can't recuit once they've signed.

Comment

Working...
                              X