Mavs! I'm Counting on You Guys!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mavs! I'm Counting on You Guys!

Mavs Rule and Mavpower (provided you're still on this board), I'm counting on you guys to rally the troops down in Omaha as your FB team prepares for its showdown this upcoming weekend against USD(d-2) at the DakotaDumpTM in Verminville, the trailer park mecca of the Midwest.

The 'yotes are vulnerable now that the "other" Mavs of the NCC gave them a long bus ride home yesterday. You need to find every Mav fan in Omaha and make sure they get up to Verminville for the game against USD(d-2) as the 'yotes will fighting for a mere chance at playoff consideration.

I won't say this very often, but here goes: "Go Mavs!"

Re: Mavs! I'm Counting on You Guys!

Originally posted by NightHawk78
    Mavs Rule and Mavpower (provided you're still on this board), I'm counting on you guys to rally the troops down in Omaha as your FB team prepares for its showdown this upcoming weekend against USD(d-2) at the DakotaDumpTM in Verminville, the trailer park mecca of the Midwest.

The 'yotes are vulnerable now that the "other" Mavs of the NCC gave them a long bus ride home yesterday. You need to find every Mav fan in Omaha and make sure they get up to Verminville for the game against USD(d-2) as the 'yotes will fighting for a mere chance at playoff consideration.

Thanks for the love. If Miller is healthy that will help. He is a stud. Your football team has sure turned around their season. They still need to win a conference title so I can't bring up 1963 anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavs Rule
      [quote author=NightHawk78 link=1162142321/0#0 date=1162142321]Mavs Rule and Mavpower (provided you're still on this board), I'm counting on you guys to rally the troops down in Omaha as your FB team prepares for its showdown this upcoming weekend against USD(d-2) at the DakotaDumpTM in Verminville, the trailer park mecca of the Midwest.

Thanks for the love. If Miller is healthy that will help. He is a stud. Your football team has sure turned around their season. They still need to win a conference title so I can't bring up 1963 anymore. [/quote]

Hobo Day marked the 1st time we have won 5 in a row since 1963. Hopefully that is a good omen.

Comment

We've been kinda playing the "Giant-Killers," haven't we!

If I were NDSU, I'd be very, very nervous!
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1
          We've been kinda playing the "Giant-Killers," haven't we!

If I were NDSU, I'd be very, very nervous!
          ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

You guys are going to get a serious GWFC Beatdown. 8-)

Comment

You guys still have to deal with Cal Poly and UC-Davis before SDSU comes to town. I know our players won't be worrying about you guys until they get back from Southern Utah.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonbacker
                You guys are going to get a serious GWFC Beatdown.  8-)
                Confusius say: "He who counts the Jackrabbits out will be hopped!"

I will never count this team out of anything again and Bison fans shouldn't either!

And after that OGTNSBM, the Jacks won't take another team for granted again!

GO JACKS!

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

OK, Mavs Rule and Mavpower, is the UNO fan base ready for the big showdown against USD(d-2)? I only saw a couple fans state they were going based on your message board. Perhaps, remembering the 34-0 beatdown you gave the 'yotes three years ago in the DakotaDumpTM will help fire up the troops!

Comment

the ability to run the ball on offense and stop the run on defense is the building block to championship football teams, then both South Dakota and the University of Nebraska at Omaha have long since poured their foundations.

UNO hopes to get the ball more to running back Kyle Kasperbauer, who ranks 12th in rushing (122.8) in NCAA Division II.

As they prepare for Saturday's 2 p.m. showdown at the DakotaDome in Vermillion, S.D., the Mavericks rank third in Division II in rushing offense (275.9 yards per game) and fourth in rushing defense (60.5), while South Dakota ranks fourth (274.8) and third (47.8) in the same categories.

"This game will only take about an hour to play," South Dakota coach Ed Meierkort said, referring to how the game clock doesn't stop after running plays that stay inbounds. "Both teams are confident in their running game and their ability to stop it, so usually what makes the difference is special teams or a big play in the passing game . . . unless one team just dominates up front, and that could happen, too."

South Dakota gets major offensive contributions from shifty Stefan Logan, who not only ranks 10th in Division II with 135.1 rushing yards per game, but is also third in all-purpose yards.

UNO football
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    • Who: No. 7 Mavericks vs. No. 20 South Dakota

• When: Saturday, 2 p.m.

• Where: DakotaDome, Vermillion, S.D.

• Radio: KOZN, 1620 AM

"A guy like Stefan Logan, you've got to get guys around him because he can do crazy things," UNO linebacker Kenny Onatolu said. "He can reverse field and get outside. But as long as we maintain our gaps and the backside players play the cutback, we should be all right."

UNO's Kyle Kasperbauer ranks 12th in rushing (122.8) and eighth in all-purpose yards (170.9), but he usually gets plenty of help from quarterback Zach Miller - the leader among Division II quarterbacks in rushing with an average of 114.6.

Miller, however, could miss a second straight game because of a broken bone near his right knuckle. Playing without him last week, the Mavs managed just 111 rushing yards in a 21-17 victory over St. Cloud State.

"We've got to do a better job getting the ball to Kyle Kasperbauer and (backup tailback) Nate Wurth," UNO coach Pat Behrns said. "We didn't execute some things up front that would have made a difference, and we made some mistakes at quarterback (Greg Wunderlich) and in coaching. We still think we can have a potent running attack with Greg Wunderlich. We may not be great on the option, but we can find ways to run the ball."

While UNO escaped an upset bid last week, South Dakota was knocked off by Minnesota State-Mankato, which had lost its first five North Central Conference games. The Coyotes rallied from a 31-14 third-quarter deficit and took a 39-38 lead on a 13-yard touchdown pass to Logan with 1:34 to play, but then MSU got itself into field goal position for the final play of the game. South Dakota blocked it, but MSU's Jeff Fielder caught the ricochet at the line of scrimmage and raced 23 yards for a touchdown and a 44-39 stunner.

"It was awful," Meierkort said. "But we deserved what we got. We did a very poor job of preparing our kids and we came in with an ego and didn't adjust."

Preparing for UNO probably won't require an ego adjustment, even though South Dakota slammed the Mavs 59-14 last year. Preparing is difficult, Meierkort said, because of the status of Miller.

"We're going to prepare for Miller, because if he has any opportunity, you know he's going to play," he said. "We think their running game will stay similar, because Omaha is too good to just change everything in mid-stream. At this time of year it would be comforting if he was playing, even though he is such a good player, because at least you know what you're getting into. And you'd rather have him play because kids deserve to play in games like this."

While the Mavs (7-1 overall, 6-0 NCC) would clinch a share of the league title for the third straight season with a victory, it would also move them closer to wrapping up a second straight trip to the Division II playoffs.

But while the Mavericks are sitting pretty solid at No. 2 in the Northwest Region, South Dakota (7-2, 5-1) is fighting for its playoff life. The Coyotes are fifth in the region (six teams advance) and play at regional No. 3 North Dakota next week. Yet, back-to-back wins would give them at least a share of the NCC title.

"I don't even worry about the playoffs," said Meierkort, whose teams have gone 9-2 the past two seasons yet still stayed home. "I let the yahoos on the committee figure that stuff out. What we try to do is concentrate on winning the NCC. Our problem is that we burned our mulligan (against MSU), and it's kind of like burning it on a par 3. We've got to win out now, but we probably would have had to win out anyway."

Meierkort said the crowd is expected to be near capacity in the 10,000-seat dome, where South Dakota has won 18 straight games.

UNO has prepared for that, pumping static over the loudspeakers for up to 50 minutes at practice each day this week.

"It's a tough place to play," Behrns said. "It's really changed in there, and that's a compliment to them. You wish some of our people could get up there and see that and understand what we have to go through, because it's a great environment."

Contact the Omah

Comment

Sorry Mavs but I gotta pull for the SD team here. Gonna be tough to win in the dome. USD needs this win for any shot at the post-season. It'll be hard to put UNO in ahead of USD if you guys lose this weekend. Not saying it can't happen but it shouldn't. Good luck to both teams. I'll keep a close hear to the game while tailgating and watching the DI team up north.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                        Sorry Mavs but I gotta pull for the SD team here.  Gonna be tough to win in the dome.  USD needs this win for any shot at the post-season.  It'll be hard to put UNO in ahead of USD if you guys lose this weekend.  Not saying it can't happen but it shouldn't.  Good luck to both teams.  I'll keep a close hear to the game while tailgating and watching the DI team up north.

I don't feel real good about the game, especially if Miller doesn't play. Sometimes Berhns surprises you in big games though.

Comment

[quote author=jackmd link=1162142321/0#10 date=1162491256]Sorry Mavs but I gotta pull for the SD team here.  Gonna be tough to win in the dome.  USD needs this win for any shot at the post-season.  It'll be hard to put UNO in ahead of USD if you guys lose this weekend.  Not saying it can't happen but it shouldn't.  Good luck to both teams.  I'll keep a close hear to the game while tailgating and watching the DI team up north.

I don't feel real good about the game, especially if Miller doesn't play. Sometimes Berhns surprises you in big games though.[/quote]

Do you think it's a bold prediction to say this game will be closer than last year?

I think USD will win in a close one, but nothing would surprise me. I picked UNO to lose to UND the last two years and was wrong both times.

Comment

[quote author=jackmd link=1162142321/0#10 date=1162491256]Sorry Mavs but I gotta pull for the SD team here.  Gonna be tough to win in the dome.  USD needs this win for any shot at the post-season.  It'll be hard to put UNO in ahead of USD if you guys lose this weekend.  Not saying it can't happen but it shouldn't.  Good luck to both teams.  I'll keep a close hear to the game while tailgating and watching the DI team up north.

I don't feel real good about the game, especially if Miller doesn't play. Sometimes Berhns surprises you in big games though.[/quote]

This is the first time you and your Mavs can do something positive in the eyes of the people on this board! Don't mess this up, you probably won't get another chance! Go MAVS but then back into the closet you go!

SUPERBUNNY
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

How many Mav fans will be in Verminville for the game tomorrow??? This is your big chance to prove that you're a true contender and show that the NW Missouri State game was an aberration.

Comment

Working...
                              X