PDA

View Full Version : Hey USD!

da_coach
10-07-2006, 10:07 PM
How tough is Central Arkansas?

(just wondering, since your team is so much better than State's.)

;)

Rabbit3467
10-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Beat me too it Coach.

SO WHATS THE ANSWER USD???? ;D ;D ;D

sdtheta
10-08-2006, 04:10 AM
Coyote-Fan won't answer, although all of their fans were more interested in our score today than in their own score for D-Days!!!

Haldersham
10-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Based on UCA scores, SDSU may be 37 points better than USD.

Why not be an Jerk? Its our turn. ;D

Coyote_Fan
10-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Right now the Coyotes are struggling ALOT on offense. There is no excuse the Jacks beat UCA and USD lost to them. Congrats on the win. I am still hoping in the future that we can settle all arguments on the field again.

NightHawk78
10-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Right now the Coyotes are struggling ALOT on offense. There is no excuse the Jacks beat UCA and USD lost to them. Congrats on the win. I am still hoping in the future that we can settle all arguments on the field again.
Coyote_Fan, contact your A.D. and tell him that USD should move up to D-1 and should immediately offer to play SDSU at Brookings next year or in 2008.

Coyote_Fan
10-08-2006, 11:06 PM
If USD does move up and joins the Great West Conference which makes sence at this time they wouldn't have to call Brookings because by conference law they would be forced to play a home and home every other year.

I do believe at the beginning of the season USD was the better of the two teams but right now SDSU is the better of the two teams.

Rabbitden
10-08-2006, 11:21 PM
You still dont understand the difference between DIV. IAA and DIV. II. Biggest differerence...deeper, faster, and more athletic all around. I am not just speaking of the first string...you better be able to back-up every position or this schedule is going to kill you every Saturday.

I'll bet if you went to UCA site and asked them which game was harder they wouldnt hesitate to tell you that State walked all over them and with a younger squad. Take the time to catch a couple of DIV IAA games and you will see that the entire teams play at 100% for the whole 60 minutes.

NightHawk78
10-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Granted it would be nice for UND and USD (I suppose) to join the GWFC for the 2008 season since we could use visits from the @#$^%@#$%@ioux and the Coyotes in order to even out the conference schedule as we only have one home conference game as the schedule currently reads.......

Coyote Fan, we may still want to convince your A.D. to make a call up to SDSU in order to gain support for a USD application into the GWFC............

Coyote_Fan
10-09-2006, 01:03 AM
There is no doubt that D1AA as a whole is better than D2. No one is going to argue that point. That does not mean that every D1AA team is better than every D2 team. No one is going to argue that point. I understand that a D1AA roster is generally deeper, faster, etc. BUT, and here is the big BUT it doesn't apply in all cases. USD is going through some big problems right now on offense. Those problems arose during each of the last 3 games. I am not going to get into each problem one by one right now (as I wrote that out on the Coyote message board). We just happened to play Central Arkansas at a bad time for us. Our offense is moving the ball ok but they are not cashing in right now. They are a shell of what it was last year. Too many differening factors. O-Coordinator gone, best receiver gone, quarterback gone. We have gone through alot of change and are rotating QB's which is not helping. I don't mean to make excuses but I am just telling it like it is. USD's offense is really faltering right now. The Yotes put up as many yards on UCA as they did the D2 teams they faced. They stopped them about as well too. It's kinda of funny how so many Jacks fans get stuck on the division affiliation thing. You are D1AA so is Central Arkansas. In reality Central Arkansas is not much more than a good D2 playoff program. They may have the full alotment of schollies but I am sure many of those are moreso filler scholarships. I am sure many of them are for underclassmen or transfer students but I am sure those extra scholarships are being stretched out a bit thin. Meaning that some of the players that are getting the scholarships are not making the kinds of contributions that an established D1AA program has. UCA is another case in point of how the upper echelon D2 programs can move up to D1 and be successfully right away.

USD eventhough they have struggled for the past 3 weeks is in the upper echelon of D2 football. They are in the classification of a program that if they move up is likely to have moderate success pretty much right away. Our program is in as good or better shape as far as success as SDSU was at the time they moved up.

SDSU is always a solid team but that is as far as it goes. Nearly every year the Jacks will do one of two things. They either start really slow and then finish really strong or they start really strong and fall apart and finish flat. It usally equates to alot of 6-5 or 7-4 seasons. I am sure many of you wish that they could just put together one really spectacular year and finish 10-1 or 9-2. What you are doing in D1AA is exactly what you were doing in D2 in the prior years before you left.

I kinda of have a question I would like many of you to answer. Why do you think that so many of the teams that have recently moved up to D1AA have had moderate to very good success either in year 1, 2 or 3 after the transition? Why is it that so many programs seem to be able to find their legs so quickly at the next level? Look at NDSU. By all rights they should probably be a top 5 team in D1AA with the way they have started the year. At the time NDSU left, UND was the premier NCC program for the majority of the prior 5-10 years. They weren't heads and shoulders better than anyone else but they would have to be considered the best NCC program over that span. At least the most consistant. Has UND suddenly fallen off the map for being an excellent football program since SDSU, NDSU and UNC left? I don't think UND majically became a bad team. Was the NCC weakened, of course it was. That does not mean that the top 2 or 3 teams in the NCC became inferior to the rest of D2 football. The top teams in the NCC are still very good football teams. If I were a Jacks fan instead of bashing the NCC and belittling them it might be a better idea to appreciate where you came from because it was a darn good starting point that allowed the step up to D1AA be alot smaller than what it could have been had the NCC been at the NSIC level of play. The NCC was good preperation for a step up not a conference that should be frowned upon. That level of competition was top notch and the teams that have moved up are proving that. That should be celebrated not diminished. I think regardless of what happens with the NCC (and now it appears that it will be put to rest soon) what the teams had at a full 10 teams conference was something that can be looked upon very fondly. That is the way I will look back upon it. I think all Jacks fans should also have that way of thinking regardless of what your thinking is of USD or other teams.

When or if USD moves up don't expect them to automatically fail. If you approach that as a foregone conclusion you might be disappointed. As a Coyote fan if I expect immediate success I might also be disappointed. The thing is, you can never lose respect for the possibility of ones own failure or other teams successes. That does for fans of any team. It can all go up fast and down even faster. USD football and SDSU basketball are a great example even if both teams get back to their ways from the recent past.

Rabbitden
10-09-2006, 06:01 AM
Ouch...get a bandaid...I struck an artery on the Smack Board. :-X

The NCC is a mere dream of where it was with NDSU, UNC and SDSU involved. The schedule can pretty much be dominated by what you call a upper level team now. Before there were no expected wins on any givin Saturday. That is why the conference was considered one of the best in DIV II.

As far as you loosing players etc...no excuse...we as well as most other DIV IAA programs loose key players weekly and have to step up the next week with an athlete to take over. That is the difference, your depth must be able to fill-in at any moment.

You want respect? Who are the ones that screamed bloody murder all the way to Pierre when SDSU decided to make the leap?

The "U" will be a class institution when they start being a leader instead of a follower. That is your problem not ours, please take your whinning and excuse driven drivel over to the Yote board and keep it there.

If you want to post here, become an equal and earn your respect. Dont come on here and tell us how belittling we are on our web site.

That is another difference between the divisions...look back at other DIV IAA post on here and other websites and look at the respect even rivals give each other. There is a reason for that and it's called CLASS...pure and simple.

Get off the porch puppy...if you want to play with the big boys you have to get off of the porch and tangle awhile, that is the only way you earn respect. 8-)

CatchEmAll
10-09-2006, 08:20 AM
If USD does move up and joins the Great West Conference which makes sence at this time they wouldn't have to call Brookings because by conference law they would be forced to play a home and home every other year.

USD joining the Great West Conf would be great, but won't do much on getting that home and home when SDSU is in the Gateway.

da_coach
10-09-2006, 10:37 AM
No disrespect intended. I posted this in smack because I won't talk about another school somewhere else.

I just kept hearing about how USD's team was so great, and that they would handle SDSU.

That was proven wrong.

Ask Central Arkansas.

jackmd
10-09-2006, 10:48 AM
It is as simple as many here have tried to put it. On one given day, a lower division school might defeat a team from a higher division. However, that means NOTHING. DII schools cannot compete against DI schools on a weekly basis. No debate, no discussion, not an issue.

One other comment, I was listening to Augie, USF, USD on my way to the DI game when I heard a halftime interview with one of the starting LBs for USD. He seemed like a nice kid from Nebraska.

The interviewer (a student I assume) asked the kid about the Huskers and if they recruited him. The kid kind of laughed and said no way. He made is seem ridiculous to think that he would have ended up at USD if the Huskers or the like had recruited him. He said he hadn't even heard of USD until he visited. The only other schools to show interest were NAIA or lower.

Now he is a major factor on a decent DII team. I thought it a bit arrogant for the interviewer to even think that USD would land a kid who was being pursued by NU. That my friends, may be just the problem at USD, blind arrogance. I'm probably reading too much into this one interview.

Rabbitlivinginverm
10-09-2006, 11:56 AM
USD eventhough they have struggled for the past 3 weeks is in the upper echelon of D2 football. They are in the classification of a program that if they move up is likely to have moderate success pretty much right away. Our program is in as good or better shape as far as success as SDSU was at the time they moved up.

I kinda of have a question I would like many of you to answer. Why do you think that so many of the teams that have recently moved up to D1AA have had moderate to very good success either in year 1, 2 or 3 after the transition? Why is it that so many programs seem to be able to find their legs so quickly at the next level? Look at NDSU. By all rights they should probably be a top 5 team in D1AA with the way they have started the year. At the time NDSU left, UND was the premier NCC program for the majority of the prior 5-10 years. They weren't heads and shoulders better than anyone else but they would have to be considered the best NCC program over that span. At least the most consistant. Has UND suddenly fallen off the map for being an excellent football program since SDSU, NDSU and UNC left? I don't think UND majically became a bad team. Was the NCC weakened, of course it was. That does not mean that the top 2 or 3 teams in the NCC became inferior to the rest of D2 football. The top teams in the NCC are still very good football teams. If I were a Jacks fan instead of bashing the NCC and belittling them it might be a better idea to appreciate where you came from because it was a darn good starting point that allowed the step up to D1AA be alot smaller than what it could have been had the NCC been at the NSIC level of play. The NCC was good preperation for a step up not a conference that should be frowned upon. That level of competition was top notch and the teams that have moved up are proving that. That should be celebrated not diminished. I think regardless of what happens with the NCC (and now it appears that it will be put to rest soon) what the teams had at a full 10 teams conference was something that can be looked upon very fondly. That is the way I will look back upon it. I think all Jacks fans should also have that way of thinking regardless of what your thinking is of USD or other teams.

Do I think USD football is in a better position to move up than SDSU was? I assume you're talking about talent and record, maybe even fan support. Last year your team offense was unbelievable, and that was b/c of 3 people. Your OC, Wes B., and Logan. OC is gone, Wes is gone, and Logan is a senior. I fully expect USD's offense to return to it's old self next year (based on the last few weeks you may already be there).

A big reason why USD is having mucho success in the NCC IS because the top programs are gone. UND was a top program before, USD wasn't. However, both NDSU and UNC were. And we usually beat up USD and followed those programs. USD's success is directly related to the departure of those 3 schools and the individual talent of the 3 mentioned in the above paragraph.

Rabbitlivinginverm
10-09-2006, 03:09 PM
http://www.thecabin.net/stories/100706/spo_1007060026.shtml

The coach (UCA Coach Conque) said, from video analysis, that the Jackrabbits' offensive line may be better than South Dakota's, which gave UCA a lot of problems last week. "Their running backs are different because they are bigger and more physical," he said. "They are pretty efficient in the passing game and defensively, they play extremely hard."

filbert
10-09-2006, 03:12 PM

The coach (UCA Coach Conque) said, from video analysis, that the Jackrabbits' offensive line may be better than South Dakota's, which gave UCA a lot of problems last week. "Their running backs are different because they are bigger and more physical," he said. "They are pretty efficient in the passing game and defensively, they play extremely hard."

I think we can defer to the UCA coach as being a relatively unbiased observer.

Haldersham
10-09-2006, 07:40 PM
It's fun to read Coyote Fan's posts on the USD board and again duplicated on D2Football.com. Coyote Fan had a litany of problems in the USD football program and it appears the offense is in bad shape. Stephan Logan is a good running back, but I would love to see how our D line would handle Noah Shepard and Logan. After Saturday night, it would be very interesting.

I dont think we will be seeing any more comps between D2 and D1AA from Coyote Fan. ;)

Coyote_Fan
10-09-2006, 08:59 PM
I said before the UCA USD game that the comparison was not quite 100% fair because USD had to make a long trip to UCA and play them on their home field. UCA had to make a long trip and play SDSU on their field. As much as many of you would like to disagree there is quite a big difference there as far as intangibles. If you look at the stats USD's offense put up about as many yards on UCA as the Jacks did and they gave up about the same as well. Of course since all those yellow and blue glasses are on it wouldn't make a bit of a difference to many of you. I can't come here and write objectively because many of you will shape your thoughts to always make the Jacks look superior. Just because things are getting better now for SDSU doesn't mean they were always that way or will continue that way. The Lacrosse game is still not very far in your rear view mirror and before you go spouting off about things don't forget that your team was not looking so great not that long ago.

The problem with many of you is that you never give any credit to anyone aside from yourselves. It has been a pattern with most of your fans. You are so wrapped up into everything Jacks that you don't think objectively. It started as far back as the last couple of times USD and SDSU got together in hoops. Most of you thought it was so much of a fluke that USD won in Vermillion that year that you were sure it would be different on a neutral court. While it wasn't. That kind of sentiment is exactly why I can't believe anyone that only spews out pro Jacks everything. It's actually kind of lame.

filbert
10-09-2006, 09:11 PM

I think we can defer to the UCA coach as being a relatively unbiased observer.

The UCA coach made these comments prior to playing SDSU, just in case there's some confusion on that point.

CatchEmAll
10-09-2006, 09:17 PM
The problem with many of you is that you never give any credit to anyone aside from yourselves. It has been a pattern with most of your fans. You are so wrapped up into everything Jacks that you don't think objectively. It started as far back as the last couple of times USD and SDSU got together in hoops. Most of you thought it was so much of a fluke that USD won in Vermillion that year that you were sure it would be different on a neutral court. While it wasn't. That kind of sentiment is exactly why I can't believe anyone that only spews out pro Jacks everything. It's actually kind of lame.

If one were to substitute Coyotes for Jacks in that last paragraph you'd be on to something as well.

Problem is you can't come on any (former) rival's chat board and spout off and not expect homerism. Same thing that you're getting would happen to any Jacks fan over on the Yote board if they cared to post with any regularity. We see the world thru yellow and blue glasses just like 99.9% of Yote fans see the world thru red and white glasses. It's just the way the world is. Don't complain about it because no one cares what you think on the matter.

The fact that USD traveled to UCA and got beat, and UCA traveled to SDSU and got beat means nothing to any of us. We won, the U lost, that's all that matters. If the roles were reversed and the U had won at home and SDSU had lost on the road the particulars of how the result came about wouldn't matter either. Go concentrate on the rough and tumble NCC and we'll keep our noses in our business and you won't have to worry about our being homers ever again.

Oh, and since I don't spew pro Jacks everything then I guess you should believe what I'm saying.

Rabbitden
10-09-2006, 10:14 PM
So our trips out to Nicholas State and McNeese dont count in your way of thinking? :-/ Get on board and play our schedule then start comparing. Until then...dont try to justify the difference.

Lame...wow...now thats calling the kettle black.

P.S.

Are you related to the Mavbots? Maybe you are one of them in disguise? 8-)

1bunnies
10-09-2006, 11:03 PM
Quote:

USD's own Coach Meirkort(sp) also was quoted on Kelo-TV Sportszone Friday night as saying that he thought SDSU would beat UCA with relative ease. At least there is one in Verminion that has some sense.

mitchellrabbit
10-10-2006, 05:48 AM
I said before the UCA USD game that the comparison was not quite 100% fair because USD had to make a long trip to UCA and play them on their home field. UCA had to make a long trip and play SDSU on their field. As much as many of you would like to disagree there is quite a big difference there as far as intangibles. If you look at the stats USD's offense put up about as many yards on UCA as the Jacks did and they gave up about the same as well. Of course since all those yellow and blue glasses are on it wouldn't make a bit of a difference to many of you. I can't come here and write objectively because many of you will shape your thoughts to always make the Jacks look superior. Just because things are getting better now for SDSU doesn't mean they were always that way or will continue that way. The Lacrosse game is still not very far in your rear view mirror and before you go spouting off about things don't forget that your team was not looking so great not that long ago.

that lacrosse game is miles behind us now. it cant even be seen in our rearview mirror. thats the sign of a good team, putting games like that behind you. probably like uni did with und, then went out and almost beat iowa st, colorado losing to montana st but almost knocking off georgia. its funny after that first game, yote fans were going wild with the notion that you would kick the jacks butt. things sure change in a few weeks and we were on those long road trips like you were when you got kicked by uca.

SUPERBUNNY
10-10-2006, 08:47 AM

That is written like a true lawyer from USD! You are talking about us being consumed with "everything Jacks"? What exactly would you have us talk about on the sdsufans.com website? That might be the silliest thing I have ever heard!

You are writing this on an SDSU message board and I think everyone hear appreciates new perspectives when they are brought forward but that post was absolute dribble!

As far as a pattern with our fans, I might suggest that you start looking at things without having your scarlet colored glasses on!

IT'S POSTS LIKE THESE THAT MAKE ME WANT TO GET ONE MORE SHOT AT THE COYOTES!!!

Sorry for the rant Jacks fans! Go back to your little message board in your little world Coyote_Fan!

SUPERBUNNY

el_presidente
10-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Brian Kimmes has an excellent article in the collegian talking about SDSU vs USD.
http://media.www.sdsucollegian.com/media/storage/paper484/news/2006/10/11/Sports/Ball-Talk-2344576.shtml?sourcedomain=www.sdsucollegian.com&M IIHost=media.collegepublisher.com

filbert
10-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Kimmes also has a good story on the UCA game in the same Collegian.

(Stu Whitney and the Argus may wish to note and emulate Kimmes' reporting technique of actually including quotes from some of the game's participants in the story.)

1bunnies
10-11-2006, 08:17 PM
As a 5th year senior, Kimmes is already light years ahead of Stu Whitless as far as reporting sports..

juice
10-14-2006, 11:57 PM
I don't know what is funnier, watching SDSU fans compare scores to see who would win between USD and SDSU, after many of you in the past have said that you can't compare scores to see who is better, or the fact that you are comparing scores from a home game of yours and a road game of USD's. I don't mind comparing scores, but I at least think it has to be an accurate comparison. Had Central Arkansas beat USD in the Dome then I would be darn impressed. USD is obviously a much better home team. There is no way USD would lose to a DIII team at home.
As long as we are comparing scores and things of that nature, I have a few things I would like to point out. Central Washington is 1-3 vs. the NCC and 1-0 vs. the Big Sky (you know, the conference that SDSU wanted to get into.) I guess you could make a good argument that the NCC is better than the Big Sky. I bet Central Washington wishes they were in the Big Sky right now. Apparantly they have a much easier time winning in the Big Sky than they do in the NCC.
UND went down to Northern Iowa and showed them who is boss, the same Northern Iowa team that took it to SDSU. However, UND found things to be a little tougher when they tried to visit UNO this weekend. Dale Lennon said that UNO is the best team they played this year, and that includes Northern Iowa. By comparing scores it appears that UNO is clearly better than SDSU. With that being the case, I'm intrested to see how the UNO v. USD game goes. I'm sure UNO will be looking for revenge after USD beat them by over 50 points last year.

Rabbitden
10-15-2006, 12:51 AM
Juice...your first post and your going to spout off. Yes DIV III WLC got us on our home turf that looked like a feedlot by game time...games done, and long past, no excuse. The Jacks made 4 road trips in a row against all top 25 Div IAA teams and came home with a 2-2 record. They are a much different team than the one that overlooked WLC. Don't blow this at home or on the road crap towards us.

As far as the little sky conference...maybe at one time we showed interest but they are kind of like the "U"...nobody has a clue or knows who is in charge. We are a member of the GREAT WEST FOOTBALL CONFERENCE, the # 1 conference in IAA ball. Facts are Facts...when the "U" wants to step-up and play the Jacks schedule every Saturday to prove their worth that is when I will start listenning to people like you that just don't get it. If you would read back a little you would also see that UCA coach said State was a better team than USD. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, who cares.

Got to like your moniker (Go Rabbits), yet you write as if your a doggy from that outhouse down south.

When USD finally makes a decision and if they decide to move up (lets hope they find the money for all their dreams and ambitions[see below]), maybe then we will be able to get a accurate comparison. Until then who really cares about the "U" except people like you that defend them on a JACKRABBIT FAN SITE! You dont see anyone on this board running over to the Yote site and talking smack. Why, because the majority of the people on this board could care less about the "U" .

All anybody down south could do was complain when SDSU made the move up because they saw where Div II was heading. Yet, USD didnt think anything was wrong and now you are sweating it because exactly what UNC, NDSU and SDSU saw is happening

When is USD going to be a leader instead of a follower?

USD's ambitions; Princton on the prairie, new campus infastructure, buildings, etc..., meeting Title IX guidelines with out dropping more sports and begging for more money from the state to help build facilities. Scholarships, travel, conference affiliation etc...should I really go on here?

DEN OUT

mitchellrabbit
10-15-2006, 06:28 AM
I don't know what is funnier, watching SDSU fans compare scores to see who would win between USD and SDSU, after many of you in the past have said that you can't compare scores to see who is better, or the fact that you are comparing scores from a home game of yours and a road game of USD's. I don't mind comparing scores, but I at least think it has to be an accurate comparison. Had Central Arkansas beat USD in the Dome then I would be darn impressed. USD is obviously a much better home team. There is no way USD would lose to a DIII team at home.
As long as we are comparing scores and things of that nature, I have a few things I would like to point out. Central Washington is 1-3 vs. the NCC and 1-0 vs. the Big Sky (you know, the conference that SDSU wanted to get into.) I guess you could make a good argument that the NCC is better than the Big Sky. I bet Central Washington wishes they were in the Big Sky right now. Apparantly they have a much easier time winning in the Big Sky than they do in the NCC.
UND went down to Northern Iowa and showed them who is boss, the same Northern Iowa team that took it to SDSU. However, UND found things to be a little tougher when they tried to visit UNO this weekend. Dale Lennon said that UNO is the best team they played this year, and that includes Northern Iowa. By comparing scores it appears that UNO is clearly better than SDSU. With that being the case, I'm intrested to see how the UNO v. USD game goes. I'm sure UNO will be looking for revenge after USD beat them by over 50 points last year.

i think it was the USD fans who said they could kick SDSU's butt after they got beat by Lacrosse. which is the same as score comparison. and to say that USD would "never" get beat at home by a D111 team is funny too. how do you know? until it happens, you dont know. its all speculation. i dont believe you can do score comparison when deciding whos gonna beat who in football. theres too many other factors involved. like the weather, rivalries, or whos at home. in the gambling world, how many points does the home team get? 3 maybe. it still doesnt mean that SDSU would beat USD by 30 something. and i could care less about what "could" happen if USD and SDSU played. nobody knows until its actually played.

bisonbacker
10-15-2006, 08:08 AM
There is no doubt that D1AA as a whole is better than D2. No one is going to argue that point. That does not mean that every D1AA team is better than every D2 team. No one is going to argue that point. I understand that a D1AA roster is generally deeper, faster, etc. BUT, and here is the big BUT it doesn't apply in all cases. USD is going through some big problems right now on offense. Those problems arose during each of the last 3 games. I am not going to get into each problem one by one right now (as I wrote that out on the Coyote message board). We just happened to play Central Arkansas at a bad time for us. Our offense is moving the ball ok but they are not cashing in right now. They are a shell of what it was last year. Too many differening factors. O-Coordinator gone, best receiver gone, quarterback gone. We have gone through alot of change and are rotating QB's which is not helping. I don't mean to make excuses but I am just telling it like it is. USD's offense is really faltering right now. The Yotes put up as many yards on UCA as they did the D2 teams they faced. They stopped them about as well too. It's kinda of funny how so many Jacks fans get stuck on the division affiliation thing. You are D1AA so is Central Arkansas. In reality Central Arkansas is not much more than a good D2 playoff program. They may have the full alotment of schollies but I am sure many of those are moreso filler scholarships. I am sure many of them are for underclassmen or transfer students but I am sure those extra scholarships are being stretched out a bit thin. Meaning that some of the players that are getting the scholarships are not making the kinds of contributions that an established D1AA program has. UCA is another case in point of how the upper echelon D2 programs can move up to D1 and be successfully right away.

SDSU is always a solid team but that is as far as it goes. Nearly every year the Jacks will do one of two things. They either start really slow and then finish really strong or they start really strong and fall apart and finish flat. It usally equates to alot of 6-5 or 7-4 seasons. I am sure many of you wish that they could just put together one really spectacular year and finish 10-1 or 9-2. What you are doing in D1AA is exactly what you were doing in D2 in the prior years before you left.

When or if USD moves up don't expect them to automatically fail. If you approach that as a foregone conclusion you might be disappointed. As a Coyote fan if I expect immediate success I might also be disappointed. The thing is, you can never lose respect for the possibility of ones own failure or other teams successes. That does for fans of any team. It can all go up fast and down even faster. USD football and SDSU basketball are a great example even if both teams get back to their ways from the recent past.

To answer your question regarding NDSU here you are.
1. We lost a very good coach and transitioned from the triple option to a west coast offense.
2. Coaching again. Bob Babich was a terrible head coach.

jackmd
10-15-2006, 08:09 AM

Typical USD arrogance. Its humorous to a point and then its just annoying. I prefer to stick to the facts, head-to-head we have nearly twice as many scholarship players. We handily defeated a team that shut-out the yotes. The yotes have to use their best RB as a kick returner, thats DII football.

USD would crumble against the DI schedule SDSU has faced the last 3 years, SDSU as a DII program would have crumbled just the same.

BLIND ARROGANCE my friends.

1bunnies
10-15-2006, 09:37 AM
I can't understand why USD fans spout off so much anyway. They have not been in the playoffs the last couple of years anyway. They play cupcakes and then think they are a good solid program. If the old NCC was still in place they would have been lucky to have been a 500 ballclub the last two years. Logan was okay, but I still would have rather had a Josh Ranek running backwards than have Logan as my running back.

thebluehatman
10-15-2006, 10:47 AM
*yawn* The USD horse doesn't want to die yet.

JackJD
10-15-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm making one of my infrequent visits to the Smack board. This place is no fun! However, I think it important that we all keep in mind that comparisons of DII and DIAA talent levels are very dangerous for the USD crowd...they are very likely setting themselves up for a lot of teasing next year or the year after, when they make their entry into DIAA (I'm convinced they're going to make the move). We should probably save all the comments made by the USD fans on our message board. Those comments will appear quite humorous in the future.

Go Jacks.

juice
10-16-2006, 08:56 AM
Typical USD arrogance. Its humorous to a point and then its just annoying. I prefer to stick to the facts, head-to-head we have nearly twice as many scholarship players. We handily defeated a team that shut-out the yotes. The yotes have to use their best RB as a kick returner, thats DII football.

USD would crumble against the DI schedule SDSU has faced the last 3 years, SDSU as a DII program would have crumbled just the same.

BLIND ARROGANCE my friends.[/quote]

How embarrassing for USD that they use their best player to return kicks. I'm sure USC is equally embarrassed about having Reggie Bush return punts last year.

To 1bunnies: You really think USD would have been a .500 team in the NCC last year? How often was USD whipping two playoff teams like they did UND and UNO.

Mitchellrabbit: I would say USD would get more than 3 points at home. While USD was very good last year, I don't think they would have whipped the heck out of UND and UNO like they did in the Dome, maybe you are right though?

Ranek was a very good RB and I don't want to take anything away from him. But Logan is better than J. White, and we all know where J. White ended up---the NFL.

jacksfaninne
10-16-2006, 09:01 AM
and we all know where J. White ended up---the NFL.

And we all know who still has a professional career.

89rabbit
10-16-2006, 09:35 AM
juice,

Let me help you out because you are new. This whole thread is a response to a certain USD fan in particular (and many USD fans in general) who had been pointing to the UCA games as an oportunity for some sort of evidence that USD's football team was somehow superior to SDSU's. Please don't think that we are trying to use the UCA game to prove anything, we already knew we were better and don't have anything to prove. We are just having a laugh at the expense of some Coyote fans who were talking big on how they would be able to "prove" their superiority after they laid the wood to UCA ,and to their credit they thought SDSU would win (although they thought just barely).

Well after USD’s big shut out loss, and SDSU’s big win we just had to laugh. Sorry about that. ;) ;D

The good Doctor put it best in another thread:

. . . If USD had defeated UCA or even made it close, it wouldn't have meant anything in support of your flawed logic. A divison with 63 scholarships will always be better than a division with 1/2 that number. That my friend is logical. If you don't think SDSU's current football program includes an increased number of more talented players than during the DII years, you're naive. Single games where DII teams defeat DI teams or IAA teams defeat IA teams or NAIA teams beat DII teams or DIII teams beat IAA teams (get it) don't make a lick of difference.

Fact is fact, USD in its current state is a much better football program than it was pre-Meierkort. That understood, they are not a DI program nor should they be expected to be.

Bit of advice, take it or leave it, USD better keep the focus on USD. That goes for admin, coaches, students, fans, etc.. if you keep aspiring to be SDSU you'll always be disappointed. Each institution is unique and thats what makes the philosophy of higher education in South Dakota work. . . .

Best of luck to USD with the rest of your season, and have a super D-II day.

Go State, South Dakota's only D-I University! :)

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
10-16-2006, 09:54 AM
Logan will not end up in the pro's unlike J. White. Just like last year when all of USD was talking about how great of a pro career their QB was going to have, there has to be a dose of reality at some point. Logan and their QB from last year were both great DII players. Both are undersized for the next level, though.

jackmd
10-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Logan is not NFL stock, not in my mind. UCA shut him down, that should answer that question. If he gets a shot I wish him the best.

Reminder, USD needs to keep things in focus. Its not about thinking or even believing you can do it, its doing it that counts. Thats that and thats it. You can think has highly of yourself as you want, even when others point out the flaws in your argument. Its getting it done that matters. SDSU is getting it done and I would say the same for USD, where they stand currently. As for the future, time will tell.

juice
10-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Logan will not end up in the pro's unlike J. White. Just like last year when all of USD was talking about how great of a pro career their QB was going to have, there has to be a dose of reality at some point. Logan and their QB from last year were both great DII players. Both are undersized for the next level, though.

Whoever thought Wes was going to make the NFL was quite optimistic. Wes was a great college player, but not someone that I thought would ever play in the NFL.

I'm not trying to argue that DII is better than I-AA. Like the Dr. said, there are a lot more scholarships to give in I-AA, so it is natural that the division as a whole will be better. However, I don't think there is as big of a difference as many will have you believe. There is too much evidence to the contrary. Do I think USD could jump up to I-AA and continue to pile up 10-2 records like they have been, not a chance.

I am glad to see that somebody, I believe the Dr., at least acknowledged that USD is much better than they were in the pre-Meierkort days. Many State fans just act like USD isn't any better than they used to be, the conference is just weaker. While the conference is no doubt weaker, USD is also much better.

thebluehatman
10-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Or their schedule is just weaker... You be the judge.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
10-16-2006, 01:01 PM
I have no problem giving USD their props. Their program has really turned itself around despite the level of competition. Last year's offense was a top notch DII offense and had a ton of great weapons. Our team would have had to play well to beat them.

That being said, the problem with most USD fans is they refuse to admit SDSU's team has grown at the same time. They see us as staying put or even getting worse while they continue to be a notch just below '85 Bears status. My entire problem with the USD fans who come on hear bad mouthing SDSU is not that they claim USD is so good, it's that they claim SDSU is so bad. Talk about having your head in the sand.

USD has seen an increase in prowess because of a lot of factors - some due in large parts to SDSU going D1AA. Those factors would be:

1) Coaching (SDSU grad by the way)
2) Weakness of Schedule (weaker NCC included)
3) Greater pool of athletes to recruit (I stated a while ago on how SDSU and NDSU not recruiting the DII athlete has really helped USD recruiting - especially in state recruiting.)
4) Not playing SDSU on a yearly basis (their record against us in the last 20 years is an embarrassment...to SDSU. We should never have lost to them. I'm embarrassed I was only 4-1 against them in my 5 seasons.)

Ok, there is some smack in factor 4, but the other 3 are the main reasons why USD has had a string of recent success. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to put those factors together. There is a direct correlation to SDSU, NDSU and UNC moving up and the sudden surge in USD football success. Similarly, there has been a direct correlation to SDSU football success with our schools movement to D1AA and the added scholarships and focus on the football program that entails. SDSU football is arguably the premier sport for the past 3 seasons. That hasn't been able to be said for years here. That is directly related to moving to D1AA.

In the end, our team is much better than when we were a middle of the pack NCC school. USD is a much better team than when they were a bottom dwelling NCC school. Congrats should go to both of us. I hope you move up to 1AA so we can resume our 2 decade long domination.

RabbitinTea
10-16-2006, 11:20 PM
I agree with MJA, in fact, I've apparently agreed with him for a couple years. I thought the same thing when we moved up...the athletes where there was competition between SDSU and USD will fall to USD with only competition from schools other than SDSU. Case in point, Blake Hojer from DeSmet. In fact, I think he would have like to attend SDSU but didn't get a good enough offer (not sure, could use some clarification).

2 more things...
1.) A previous post stated something to the effect of USD "piling up 10-2 seasons". I'm not sure of the definition of "piling up", but could someone please post USD's record over the last 5 years.
2.) Stefan Logan in the NFL...I think we could all agree this isn't going to happen. Given his academic history, he should probably hit the books and make sure he leaves with a degree. That's the best advice I could give for him in the future.

As far as a rivalry, I'm not sure USD fared much better than Augie over the last 15 years or so. Maybe we should be talking smack with Augie fans.

Coyote_Fan
10-17-2006, 03:00 AM
USD's success had been more closely tied to the coaching change as it has the 3 schools leaving the NCC. USD's schedule is weaker than SDSU's. No one is going to argue that. A Primarily D1AA schedule vs a D2 schedule is of little comparison. The thing many people tend to forget is how USD has done against the upper tier NCC teams now vs what they did pre Meierkort. Before Ed came aboard and before the 3 left the NCC, USD could not beat the top level NCC teams barring a rare upset. One thing that has changed since Meierkort has arrived is that USD has played the tougher teams very well. USD had a long losing streak against UNO that they nearly broke in Omaha in Meierkort's first year and broke with recklass abandon in his second year. They have performed better at all level of competition and against all the same teams that they were playing before. We stuggled with Augie for Gods sake but during the last couple of year we beat them fairly badly both times. We beat a very good St. Cloud team and barely lost at St. Cloud. We still lost at UND but defeated them fairly soundly at home.

If you want to argue USD's schedule I can buy that to a point. What you can't argue is that USD plays the good teams on their schedule much better than they did pre Meierkort. You can't really measure what a team does against weak competition but you can vs strong competition. That is where USD has improved leaps and bounds under Ed. You also can't argue that USD's big wins are flukes because they have done it consistantly at home. On the road they have lost some close games but it's better than when they were getting beat by 30.

If you want to argue that SDSU is the better team that is fine. I am not saying I agree with you or not but to be objective I think everyone knows that USD is alot better football team than before they had Ed, weak schedule or tough. That is hard to debate. If the schedule was the primary reason for their success the Coyotes would not have been able to win the games against good competition that they have.

Same goes for the Jacks. They deserve credit for their wins against Davis, McNeese, Nichols, Southern etc, but please don't discredit USD's success as only being because of a weakened NCC/schedule. It's simply not the case.

Rabbitden
10-17-2006, 05:46 AM
Who cares...get the hint...go home! :o

This is a Rabbit Fan Board not a Yote make me feel better for our lack of vision board!

Your starting to resemble the Mavbots. uuuuugggggghhhhh!

JBNJBQ
10-17-2006, 06:59 AM
USD's success had been more closely tied to the coaching change as it has the 3 schools leaving the NCC. USD's schedule is weaker than SDSU's. No one is going to argue that. A Primarily D1AA schedule vs a D2 schedule is of little comparison. The thing many people tend to forget is how USD has done against the upper tier NCC teams now vs what they did pre Meierkort. Before Ed came aboard and before the 3 left the NCC, USD could not beat the top level NCC teams barring a rare upset. One thing that has changed since Meierkort has arrived is that USD has played the tougher teams very well. USD had a long losing streak against UNO that they nearly broke in Omaha in Meierkort's first year and broke with recklass abandon in his second year. They have performed better at all level of competition and against all the same teams that they were playing before. We stuggled with Augie for Gods sake but during the last couple of year we beat them fairly badly both times. We beat a very good St. Cloud team and barely lost at St. Cloud. We still lost at UND but defeated them fairly soundly at home.

If you want to argue USD's schedule I can buy that to a point. What you can't argue is that USD plays the good teams on their schedule much better than they did pre Meierkort. You can't really measure what a team does against weak competition but you can vs strong competition. That is where USD has improved leaps and bounds under Ed. You also can't argue that USD's big wins are flukes because they have done it consistantly at home. On the road they have lost some close games but it's better than when they were getting beat by 30.

If you want to argue that SDSU is the better team that is fine. I am not saying I agree with you or not but to be objective I think everyone knows that USD is alot better football team than before they had Ed, weak schedule or tough. That is hard to debate. If the schedule was the primary reason for their success the Coyotes would not have been able to win the games against good competition that they have.

Same goes for the Jacks. They deserve credit for their wins against Davis, McNeese, Nichols, Southern etc, but please don't discredit USD's success as only being because of a weakened NCC/schedule. It's simply not the case.

In 2005
usdII record 9-2. You lost to St. Cloud and Minn Duluth. If you had played SDSU, NDSU and UNC instead of three of the cupcakes someone has said you had to play due to scheduling difficulites created when the three schools departured from the NCC, you might have won one of the three, maybe. Your record would probably have been 7-4?

In 2004
usdII record 9-2. You lost to uno and und. Replace three cupcakes with SDSU, NDSU and UNC and your record probably would have been 7-4 tops.

All of that is conjecture, I know but here are a couple more numbers you might be interested in.....

In 2003
At the grain bin in vermillion on state-wide tv

SDSU 22
usdII 11

In 2002
At CAS in Brookings

SDSU 27
usdII 20

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Coyote_Fan
10-17-2006, 01:06 PM
The point of my post had nothing to do with the era before Meierkort. So bringing in 2002 and 2003 is irrelevant.

Coyote_Fan
10-17-2006, 01:07 PM
Who cares...get the hint...go home! :o

This is a Rabbit Fan Board not a Yote make me feel better for our lack of vision board!

Your starting to resemble the Mavbots. uuuuugggggghhhhh!

Look at the title of the thread and who it was started by. Honestly I don't know but if it was a Rabbit fan you can't blame USD fans for responding. The title was asking for it.

jackmd
10-17-2006, 01:11 PM
Look at the title of the thread and who it was started by. Honestly I don't know but if it was a Rabbit fan you can't blame USD fans for responding. The title was asking for it.

He's right, we did ask for his attention. I like what the yote fans bring to the board. If I was a fan I would be jealous of the success SDSU has seen, also. I admit it, its one of my character flaws. I could also see myself rationalizing like the yote fans here. Gotta protect that fragile ego. The behavior is typical, not flattering, but typical. Reason can still win out.

NightHawk78
10-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Coyote_fan, thanks for having the bravery and patience to be a member of this board. I appreciate the USD perspective and any possible USD insight on their investigation of D-1, particularly since the Argus has missed the boat, train, bus, and plane on this subject matter. I hope that we can have a few more Coyote fans on the board to give info and perspectives once USD goes D-1 and agrees to play ball at Brookings again.

Good luck with the rest of your football season; you'll likely have to win out in order to secure a playoff bid. (Sorry, but this is a Smack thread, Coyote_fan.)

1bunnies
10-17-2006, 03:18 PM
The upper tier of the NCC left pre-Mierkort. I think 7-4 would be generous. 500 would be more like it.

JBNJBQ
10-17-2006, 05:58 PM
The upper tier of the NCC left pre-Mierkort. I think 7-4 would be generous. 500 would be more like it.

I can't help it! I have always been known to be generous, kind and thoughtful. Ask anyone on the smack board?

You might be on to something there, 1bunnies. I forgot to factor in the injuries that would have likely occurred when usdII played three more really tough schools. That in fact might have impacted the other games they won in the last two years. Might have been .500 with that element added to the mix. We will never know............

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Coyote_Fan
10-18-2006, 02:16 AM
Even if USD lost to every one of the schools that left that still puts their record at 6-5. It would be a fair assumption that USD would have run the table at home and lost on the road. It is fair to say that 7-4 or 8-3 would have been the likely record.

Haldersham
10-18-2006, 07:59 AM
I am growing weary of this thread. In fact any engagement with the USD following is almost pointless since they are still offically D2 and both administrations USD and SDSU can not come together in terms of a contract agreement to play. Its awfully easy for USD to point at SDSU and vice versa. I dont have email or telephone taps to the parties who would sign an agreement to play, so how can anyone else know all the facts, other than pure hearsay?

If USD moves up to D1 and I do hope they do, then maybe things will start to develope in a game face off, but until then, I will agree USD has made progress under Ed Meirkort. Even Meirekort admitted that he was not used to speed on defense that he saw with UCA. Beyond that and the scores what else is their to compare? Nothing.

:-X

juice
10-18-2006, 12:54 PM
That being said, the problem with most USD fans is they refuse to admit SDSU's team has grown at the same time. They see us as staying put or even getting worse while they continue to be a notch just below '85 Bears status.

I have to admit, that is funny. A notch below the '85 bears. Myself, I liked to compare last years team with the '98 Vikes, j/k.
I will say you made me laugh with the '85 bears comment. There are fans out there who think way.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
10-19-2006, 12:45 PM
That being said, the problem with most USD fans is they refuse to admit SDSU's team has grown at the same time. They see us as staying put or even getting worse while they continue to be a notch just below '85 Bears status.

I have to admit, that is funny. A notch below the '85 bears. Myself, I liked to compare last years team with the '98 Vikes, j/k.
I will say you made me laugh with the '85 bears comment. There are fans out there who think way.

I have good friends and even family members who think that way. I will say that knowledgable fans for both USD and SDSU will rib each other about scheduling (regarding USD) and 6-5 being "successful" (regarding SDSU), but they will give the respect that each team deserves. SDSU and USD's football programs are each enjoying more success and interest from the fan base than in a long time and for good reason. USD's schedule can be questioned, but anyone who saw them beat UNO at the dome last year saw that they had a really good team. SDSU may count 6-5 as a successful season in 1AA, but anyone who saw us beat UC-Davis or the games against Cal-Poly or GSU last year will understand why 6-5 is considered a success.

Better yet, 5 years ago no one would have given USD much of a chance at beating UNO at the dome or where ever. Additionally, no one would have given SDSU a chance to go down south and beat 2 established playoff quality programs in back-to-back weeks. Each team has seen great growth for a number of reason.

I think both teams are down offensively from last season, but up defensively. I still say we'd win any matchup even at the dome, but that's just because I'm so accustomed to winning against USD. That being said, both sects of fans should hold their heads high when talking about their teams.

water
10-20-2006, 12:18 PM

So, the Bunnies were in the upper tier of the NCC? Last conference title 40 years ago and a .500 record. Right.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
10-20-2006, 01:45 PM

So, the Bunnies were in the upper tier of the NCC? Last conference title 40 years ago and a .500 record. Right.

Well, considering the Yotes were in the bottom of the conference, continually losing to SDSU, yes we would be considered upper, as in above USD, tier when compared to USD. But, then again, that could be said about most teams in the NCC aside from Augie and Morningside when they were there.

el_presidente
10-24-2006, 03:26 PM
There is a letter to the editor in the Argus today about USD staying Division II. He makes a great point about how USD has been recruiting top DII talent because SDSU and NDSU haven't been competing for DII recruits like they used to.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061024/OPINION02/610240324/1053

1bunnies
10-24-2006, 03:51 PM
A letter written by the grandson of a USD alum.

1bunnies
10-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Intramural Sportsfan,

Compared to USD, SDSU was definitely in the upper tier of the soon to be gone NCC. The NCC used to be the Northc Central Conference and now is more like the No Competition Conference.

NightHawk78
10-24-2006, 04:48 PM
This was in the Argus on Saturday:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061021/VOICES07/610210312/-1/VOICES

The pro-D-1 op-ed is extremely optimistic about the Foundation's ability to raise cash and the ease of finding a conference home. He, however, is acutely aware of the evolution of the NCAA and fall of the NCC. The con-D-1 op-ed is focused more on ensuring academic quality and ignored Abbott's own comments to boost USD's enrollment. It is more idealistic and ignores the reality that USD faces as it becomes increasingly dis-similar to D-2. I wish that this writer had suggested that USD should consider going to D-3 and eliminating all athletic scholarships.

Back to Fargen's letter:

All that he can hope for is for the state Legislature to help bail them out or start cutting sports like they did two years ago.

Well, USD can't cut any more sports since they're essentially at the minimum. As for asking for state money, good luck. Perhaps the gubernatorial and legislative candidates should be asked about their opinion on a USD request for state money. If it was widespread, it could cause an uproar and make USD wait a few more months to make a decision (or drop plans all togther). (Would the Dec. 31 deadline to withdraw from the NCC really apply if UND, UNO, and Augie all withdrew and there wouldn't be a functioning conference left?)

I still am convinced that USD will go D-1 because D-2 is not a very realistic option for a school of USD's "size and ambition." I feel that they will struggle more than SDSU because of their smaller alumni base and community. Some alums will step up for the U, but not as many as anticipated. Unless Sanford makes a mega-donation, USD's D-1 campaign will likely end up in the hands of the state legislature around 2009 or 2010......

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
10-24-2006, 05:31 PM
I think the fact that gets overlooked when discussing the USD D-1 move is their conference affiliation. SDSU went in without a sure thing, but we had a gut feeling that the Big Sky would come knocking. That gut feeling was wrong and we got extremely lucky with the Mid Con situation, but I would say USD can't even claim to have a gut feeling. If the best argument you can make as a USD supporter is that the Mid Con should add 2 new schools for possible stability, then that's even a bigger leap than SDSU took. The Big Sky was obviously going to add someone. We were banking on it being us and NDSU. USD can't even get that far. SDSU's conference search was a huge prodding point for anti-SDSU fans until we joined the Mid Con. USD will have it much worse.

89rabbit
10-24-2006, 05:54 PM
I don't buy into the "SDSU got lucky" argument with the Mid-Con. The Mid-Con, along with the Big Sky, Horizon League, and to a lesser extent Missouri Valley were all talked about as potential homes from the Jackrabbits from the start. Heck the Carr report measures us against the Big Sky and Mid-Con.

It was fortunate from a timing stand point that Chicago State left the Mid-Con (got asked to leave, behind closed doors from what I hear) and Valpo got an invite from the Horizon League, but I wouldn't call it lucky, we worked hard from the start to be in the right place at the right time. So in a sense we made our own luck, but we were not “lucky” in my estimation.

Sorry MJA don't mean to pick on you, and I understand your point, however I have just heard too many USD fans talking about how we got "lucky" and I am not a big fan of revisionist history.

Go State! :)

StormnNorman
10-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Intramural Sportsfan,

Compared to USD, SDSU was definitely in the upper tier of the soon to be gone NCC. The NCC used to be the Northc Central Conference and now is more like the No Competition Conference.

Hard to say they are the No Competition Conference when they have 3 teams in the top 25 and 5 teams in the top 10 regional rankings.

mitchellrabbit
10-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Intramural Sportsfan,

Hard to say they are the No Competition Conference when they have 3 teams in the top 25 and 5 teams in the top 10 regional rankings.

5 teams in the top 10 regional rankings, i guess when youre competing against upper iowa, mary and minnesota/crookston and all the other NSIC teams that all USD fans says sucks, it shouldnt be tough to be one of those 5 teams.

StormnNorman
10-24-2006, 08:48 PM
USD isn't the only team from the NCC to be ranked.

If you guys want to get picky with schedules, then what about State's? USD only played down a division 1 time, a NAIA school (down 2 divisions from USD). State plays a NAIA school (down 3 divisions from State) and a non-scholarship DIII school (down 2 divisions).

I don't like playing these schedule games, but I gotta protect my boys! :o

BTW...your coach has a lot of balls to go for 2. He got my respect!

89rabbit
10-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Come on you don't really want to talk about schedules now do you? SDSU has beat three teams ranked in the Top 25 of our Division in the last three weeks. We will play another this Saturday. Oh, did I mention that our 2nd and 3rd games were against school rated in the Top 10 of I-AA.

So lets recap. SDSU has played 5 teams ranked in the Top 25 of I-AA Nationally and will play another one Saturday (and unless the wheels come off the NDSU wagon we will play another for 7 Top 25 teams in this season). How many D-II Top 25 teams has USD played this season? Since 2000? ::)

Go State! :)

StormnNorman
10-24-2006, 09:12 PM
All I'm saying is that State's schedule isn't so much better than USD's. Yes it's better, but your schedule has it's flaws too.

Rabbitden
10-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Stormn...you are going to lose this battle. Good luck to the Yotes though for the rest of the season. Represent SD well in the Div II battles.
As far as our schedule having flaws...wait until you jump (if you jump) to see how tough to get games will be. Get your plane tickets ready because your going to see alot of the US.

StormnNorman
10-24-2006, 09:47 PM
I feel like a raccoon trap in the corner. I'm not trying to diss the Jacks schedule, just trying to put a different twist on things. :'(

NightHawk78
10-24-2006, 10:04 PM
USD(d-2) gets flack on this board for its schedule for a few reasons:

1) They refused an offer to play at SDSU (which included a return game at Howard Wood!) and traveled to Upper Iowa instead.
2) With a couple exceptions, USD(d-2)'s non-conference FB schedule has consisted solely of NSIC bottom-feeders and an assortment of D-2/NAIA pasties.
3) They're USD(d-2) and they play in the DakotaDumpTM.

Many schools have at least one "pasty" on its schedule, regardless of affliation, as a "tune-up" or "breather" game. SDSU had to schedule William Penn this fall because of UNC leaving for the BS Conference and we took whatever home game we could get. If you would look at SDSU's schedule for next year (http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1158777639), however, you won't see any pasties on the list. USD(d-2) complained loud and clear about how it was robbed of a playoff berth, but made little attempt to produce a more challenging schedule.

StormnNorman
10-24-2006, 10:09 PM
Remember, though, schedule contracts are made a few years in advance. I do agree that USD does need to improve their out of conference schedule. It got to a point a couple years ago that it was laughable.

I don't understand though why State would want to play USD in football. If State wins, everybody says they should win because they are in a higher class. No big deal if they do. If State losses though, it makes them look extremely bad. There is no 'win' situation for them.

NightHawk78
10-24-2006, 10:30 PM
When we first transitioned, we were desperate to get any home game possible as we had to accept a two-for-one (Montana) and some away guarantee games (Southern, Montana State). We had to settle for whomever would agree to come here (UW-LC, Valpo, Mo-Rolla, Augie, William Penn, etc.). Now that the transition is almost over, we are getting mostly home-and-home series with good D-1AA schools.

Some schedule contracts, particularly conference schedules and games with certain opponents (Delaware) are often made years in advance. But, many ADs have to scramble to fill the schedule. E-mail USD's AD and ask if he has a full schedule for the next two seasons. He'll likely have one or two slots left for next year and a bunch for 2008 since the NCC's future is up in the air. SDSU still had one slot left to fill for next year at the start of this season (it is now filled, but has not been announced yet). Even if schedules are done in advance, your AD should know what schools are more likely to be competitive. For example, USD(d-2) should be scheduling teams that are at or near the d-2 max of 36 FB schollies. Crookston is probably lucky to be at 12.

gojacksgo
10-24-2006, 10:36 PM
You are right Stormn. It is a no-win situation.

That's why it was actually very big of SDSU to even offer to keep the rivalry around.

SDSU's schedule does have two holes in it. As someone said though, without those 2 games, they have 2 home games this year. In early years you will have to play down a division or two(whatever you can get) to get home games. Otherwise, you play EVERYWHERE...

I think their duanting road schedule makes up for it though this year.

I don't expect to see this in SDSU's schedule after this year.

valleyrabbit
10-24-2006, 10:48 PM
[quote author=NightHawk78 link=1160276853/75#75 date=1161747054](it is now filled, but has not been announced yet). quote]

Secrets don't make friends. Is there a reason we will be up to 63 schollies next year? A I-A opponet?

jackrabit1
10-24-2006, 10:51 PM
I don't think it's any secret... we're playing Iowa State in 2008, and we need to average 57 scholies over 2 years for the game to count for ISU.

53+63=116

116/2=58 scholarships over a 2-year stretch.

NightHawk78
10-24-2006, 10:52 PM
I wasn't told what team it was, except that it's an away game (as part of a home-and-home) against a Gateway opponent.

da_coach
10-25-2006, 09:56 AM
They whole point of this post was to compare our teams after Cent. Ark.

I have heard nothing for two years, but how good USD is, and how mediocre State is,
and that if they played each other, the U would handle the Rabbits.

This reached a creshendo amoung my Coyote friends when State lost to LaCrosse.

However, when we beat the team, that had beaten them the week before, in dominating fashion...I had to post this.

I just wanted, once, one person, on Yote fan, to say, "You guys are better than I thought" or "I take it back, we're not better than you."

I should have known better. All we got is the typical, "We're better at home" stuff. No one is going to give an inch in this blood feud. It's my fault for expecting that.

Yotefan is right when he says his opinion was wanted, it was. And I also appreciate his opinions and thoughts on the board. I honestly, don't mind USD like I used too. I've said this in other posts, I've had friends go to school there, lots of cousins, and several students of mine.

However, I do get rankled when USD fans claim their superiority over our programs, when it is obviously nowhere close to the truth.
But, that is my fault, I should just laugh it off.

Best of luck to the U the rest of the year. I have no interest in rooting against you...we don't play you, and you are a division lower than us(at least for now). Go win it all.

Coyote_Fan
10-26-2006, 07:55 PM
A couple of things to add.

USD and SDSU cannot be accurately compared with their games against UCA. USD played down in Arkansas in their backyard and UCA played up in Brookings. You can look at that as an excuse but it absolutely has relevance. If you ignore that I think it's being a little short sighted.

SDSU also played UCA during an upward trend for their season. If they would have played UCA in the first couple of weeks it might have made a difference. If USD played UCA this week it might have made a difference. Our offense is much improved since we settled on a quarterback.

As SDSU fans if you are just going to pick and choose when comparing teams than of course you are going to point out every USD weakness and every SDSU strength.

There are factors to consider but it is apparent that both USD and SDSU are good teams. SDSU has been playing some good football. USD has been playing some good football and for a fan of either school to think there is no way the other could win in a head to head matchup hasn't really been playing attention to college football this year.

Both teams have displayed that they can be very good and both teams have displayed that they can be beaten.

1bunnies
10-26-2006, 09:13 PM
Coyote-Fan,
Post on the USD board. We don't care about USD2. USD2 SUCKS.

NightHawk78
10-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Coyote_Fan, I think that every SDSU fan is acutely aware of the "on any given Saturday" concept after this season. If SDSU and USD(d-2) were to play 10 simulated games, SDSU would likely win eight or nine of them; USD(d-2) would pull away with one or two. I think that would be the average when pitting a good D-2 school against a solid I-AA school. USD(d-2) had its chance to schedule SDSU, but chose not to do so and now its window of opportunity (even if it moves to D-1) to schedule SDSU may be closing as SDSU may join the Gateway Conference and have a limited opportunity for non-conference games. Jackrabbit fans may prefer that SDSU plays Cal-Poly and UC-Davis on a regular basis (despite the cost of air travel) as opposed to a D-1 USD.

filbert
10-27-2006, 07:39 AM
Coyote-Fan,
Post on the USD board. We don't care about USD2. USD2 SUCKS.

Relax, 1bunnies, breathe . . . ;)

It's kind of silly to have a thread titled "Hey USD" and then tell those few unfortunate misguided coyotes who wander this way to buzz off.

There wouldn't be much smack right now but for the southern mangy canines.

Haldersham
10-27-2006, 08:39 AM
There is something unique about Coyote Fan. I have been banging heads with him since he first appeared on D2football.com maybe 6 or 7 years ago. I have no idea who he is but he appears to be one who will die for his alma mater. I often wonder if he has a front yard flag pole. If he does the USD flag goes up first and then Old Glory each morning.

He knows he is going to get crap on this board, but will argue to the end for USD. Let him have his say. We need some exchange. I do agree with one point he makes and that is whether its USD or SDSU, coaches are responsible for their programs and winning games. If you are wondering, he was not a big fan of John Austin. If Ed Meirkort slips, Coyote Fan has told his fellow fans, that he needs to be held accountable.

If we drop the Hobo game, which I dont think we will, Coyote Fan will be here and posting.

HEY USD!!!!! Thats what this thread is about.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
10-27-2006, 09:18 AM
Contrary to what Coyote_Fan seems to be saying about the dome, I'd say the best chance for USD to beat SDSU would actually be at Coughlin. LaCrosse won in great part because the field conditions relagated any speed advantage SDSU had as null. SDSU would have a speed and size advantage over USD. That advantage would be magnified on the fake turf. I know because it happened everytime we played at USD. So, I'm not sure the "we played at Arkansas and you played at home" argument has that much weight. Before you cite USD's current home streak, consider the competition for most of those wins. As I said, the UNO win last year was extremely impressive. I even watched it on the 'puter. But, that win was a result of USD having greater team speed than UNO and that speed being magnified by the turf. SDSU would have their superior team speed magnified by your turf.

I think if USD and SDSU played 10 games, the series would go something like 7-3/8-2 in favor of SDSU. In other words, a little better for USD than the results of the past 25 years. I don't think that's me being a homer. I think that's a realistic guess based on each team's abilities. USD's offense is a shell of the last 2 years. Last year's offense was probably the best in D2.

jacksfaninne
10-27-2006, 10:42 AM
USD and SDSU cannot be accurately compared with their games against UCA. USD played down in Arkansas in their backyard and UCA played up in Brookings. You can look at that as an excuse but it absolutely has relevance. If you ignore that I think it's being a little short sighted.
Still, there's NO WAY that makes up 37 points. If home field is worth 7-10 points, you can have 10, we'll give up 10. Now you have 17 points to figure out an excuse for.

JackTwice
10-27-2006, 11:32 AM
I've never been a big fan of the we did this against them and you did that. Largely because if the tides were turned we be crying the same thing that Coyote fan is and he would be here poking his finger at us much the way we are at him. By this belief both UW Lacrosse and Chadron State are among the top 25 in our division and nobody really believes that is true (unless you are from Lacrosse or Chadron).

I personally do not care much about ever playing USD again. But I do watch and see how they do. I don't root for or against them anymore.

1bunnies
10-27-2006, 02:04 PM
Sorry I blew up. I just don't care for USD2. I could care less if we ever play them again. I think they should use their grainbin to store corn for the new ethanol plant at Meckling. I'm sure it would work better for corn than any football team they produce down there.

Coyote_Fan
10-27-2006, 10:05 PM
I don't have as much to say in response as usual but any argument to what USD did in the past 15 years against SDSU vs what they would have done or might have done in the last 2 years is kind of irrelevant. The last time USD had a competant coach was Triplett when he nearly won a national title. Meierkort is the first good coach that USD has had in the past two decades. Creehan was doing ok but he left almost as soon as he got things going. SDSU beat USD for the most part during that span but everyone else in the NCC did as well. The Coyotes just haven't been that good and it has primarily been because of coaching so it's tough to say what SDSU has always done would spill over into what they would do now. USD has never lost a home game under Meierkort, NEVER. You can say what you want about scheduling but it's not like they were playing cupcakes during all those games. Those were teams that USD beat that have beaten USD something like 9 out of the last 10 years. Meaning UNO and UND. USD has not only just closed the gap but are right up on the top with those teams. Doesn't it speak any volumes at all that UND won at UNI and was lucky that they didn't get beat in the Dakotadome by 30 at the end of 2005. USD dominated the game for the most part.

I wouldn't be so sure that SDSU would have a speed advantage in Vermillion. USD is fast on offense and defense. Their defense held Central Arkansas down for the most part. It was the Coyote offense that continually gave away the rock that was the reason for most of the Bears points. The Coyote offense has since gotten on track.

EQguy
10-27-2006, 10:50 PM
So we can't compare what happened w/ Central Arkansas but you can compare your win over UND and their win over UNI?

The last time you played us Stefan Logan fumbled something like 3 or 4 times in the game. Turnovers are part of the game. They cause teams to lose. Ask us about our first games of the year. We will agree. But this isn't hockey, you don't get partial points when you lose, you just get an L.

I absolutely appreciate your love for your team. I just don't understand why you are looking for approval here.

JBNJBQ
10-28-2006, 06:40 AM
I don't have as much to say in response as usual but any argument to what USD did in the past 15 years against SDSU vs what they would have done or might have done in the last 2 years is kind of irrelevant. The last time USD had a competant coach was Triplett when he nearly won a national title. Meierkort is the first good coach that USD has had in the past two decades. Creehan was doing ok but he left almost as soon as he got things going. SDSU beat USD for the most part during that span but everyone else in the NCC did as well. The Coyotes just haven't been that good and it has primarily been because of coaching so it's tough to say what SDSU has always done would spill over into what they would do now. USD has never lost a home game under Meierkort, NEVER. You can say what you want about scheduling but it's not like they were playing cupcakes during all those games. Those were teams that USD beat that have beaten USD something like 9 out of the last 10 years. Meaning UNO and UND. USD has not only just closed the gap but are right up on the top with those teams. Doesn't it speak any volumes at all that UND won at UNI and was lucky that they didn't get beat in the Dakotadome by 30 at the end of 2005. USD dominated the game for the most part.

I wouldn't be so sure that SDSU would have a speed advantage in Vermillion. USD is fast on offense and defense. Their defense held Central Arkansas down for the most part. It was the Coyote offense that continually gave away the rock that was the reason for most of the Bears points. The Coyote offense has since gotten on track.

Let's see if I understand correctly what you are saying:

1. All the usdII teams and coaches in the history of the program have pretty much sucked?

2. Only in the last two years have usdII teams been respectable?

3. When they lose they are just "off track" but when they win they are back "on track?"

I don't believe you are a usdII fan at all. I think you just like debating. You are on the debate team aren't you?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

NightHawk78
10-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Mankato 44, USD(d-2) 39

Who would have thought SDSU would be undefeated in conference play after today while USD's playoff hopes are hanging by a thread with UNO and UND left on the docket?

SiouxFallsJack
10-28-2006, 06:46 PM
Mankato 44, USD(d-2) 39

Who would have thought SDSU would be undefeated in conference play after today while USD's playoff hopes are hanging by a thread with UNO and UND left on the docket?

Ouch, thats gotta hurt. Of course if the game was played in vermintown we all know who would have won. ::) Somebody needs to tell the usd admin. to stop scheduling road games. ;D ;D ;D

1bunnies
10-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Mankato 44, USD(d-2) 39

Ouch, thats gotta hurt. Of course if the game was played in vermintown we all know who would have won. ::) Somebody needs to tell the usd admin. to stop scheduling road games. ;D ;D ;D

Their in trouble. When they go D1 and find out the conferences are not knocking at the door, they might have trouble winning more than a game or two each season.

EQguy
10-28-2006, 08:13 PM
For those of you that don't know, Mankato, down by 1, was attempting a fairly long field goal with little time left on the clock. USD blocked it and an MSU player caught it and ran it in to win the game.

jackrabit1
10-28-2006, 08:14 PM
For those of you that don't know, Mankato, down by 1, was attempting a fairly long field goal with little time left on the clock. USD blocked it and an MSU player caught it and ran it in to win the game.

Ouch! The frat boys are crying in Vermin tonight!

JBNJBQ
10-30-2006, 06:49 AM

Let's see if I understand correctly what you are saying:

1. All the usdII teams and coaches in the history of the program have pretty much sucked?

2. Only in the last two years have usdII teams been respectable?

3. When they lose they are just "off track" but when they win they are back "on track?"

I don't believe you are a usdII fan at all. I think you just like debating. You are on the debate team aren't you?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

usdII

http://www.downsnews.com/railroadtown/images/caboose%20off%20track.jpg

oops!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Rabbitlivinginverm
10-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Mankato 44, USD(d-2) 39

Their in trouble. When they go D1 and find out the conferences are not knocking at the door, they might have trouble winning more than a game or two each season.

The Yote's playoff chances are in trouble but they are still there. I don't think they'll struggle much more than we did in our first couple of years. They have a good young QB to build around. They will lose Logan which will hurt a lot more than anything else. I would see them winning 4 -6 games yearly during their first transition years. Remember, they're going to be scheduling the Williams Penns, Valpo's and Upper Iowa's to even fill a schedule for a few years (much like we've had to do).

Coyote_Fan
11-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Rabbit in Vermillion,

You are one of the only posters here that is not totally biased against USD. At least you are able to bring up the strong points about the Coyotes. I can't respect people that will consistantly rip on a good team such as USD. They are now a proven program. SDSU has done an outstanding job in the past few weeks. They have shown much improvement this year. I have no problem giving credit the Jacks as much as it pains to do so if they deserve it and they do right now.

USD also deserves respect because they have proven it on the field. If SDSU fans are going to automatically assume that USD is going to fail at the D1AA level in football they are not keeping an open mind. They might fail but they also might succeed. USD as a program right now is above where SDSU was when they began their transition. SDSU is beginning to find success so in three years USD may very well be doing just as well as SDSU is now.

jackrabit1
11-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Respect must be EARNED, grasshopper-puppy fan!

1bunnies
11-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Rabbit in Vermillion,

You are one of the only posters here that is not totally biased against USD. At least you are able to bring up the strong points about the Coyotes. I can't respect people that will consistantly rip on a good team such as USD. They are now a proven program. SDSU has done an outstanding job in the past few weeks. They have shown much improvement this year. I have no problem giving credit the Jacks as much as it pains to do so if they deserve it and they do right now.

USD also deserves respect because they have proven it on the field. If SDSU fans are going to automatically assume that USD is going to fail at the D1AA level in football they are not keeping an open mind. They might fail but they also might succeed. USD as a program right now is above where SDSU was when they began their transition. SDSU is beginning to find success so in three years USD may very well be doing just as well as SDSU is now.

IMO usd2 is not above where SDSU was when they began their transition. usd2 is in the watered down NCC and has been playing the Upper Iowa and Minnesota-Crookston cupcakes. Had SDSU, NDSU, and UNC remained usd2 may not have even had a 500 record.

jackrabbit1979
11-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Rabbit in Vermillion,

Tear. Do you two want to go have a latte together? ;) Just kidding boys.

Rabbitlivinginverm
11-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Rabbit in Vermillion,

Tear. Do you two want to go have a latte together? ;) Just kidding boys.

Hey smart a$$, I'd prefer a French Vanillia Capichino ;) You buying? By the way, I could use some help this weekend digging a hole to put in an egress window. You gotta strong back don't ya?

jackmd
11-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Rabbit in Vermillion,

Gotta throw a flag here. Pot calling the kettle black for sure. There is NO WAY you can make a statement about USDs readiness to make the transition as compared to ours. No comparison in my mind. USD is playing in a completely different league than we were, completely different. Before you go accusing us of being biased appreciate the fact that you seem completely unwilling to admit the fact that DII and the NCC changed in such a fashion over the last 5 years that it is no longer relevant to even discuss these two teams in that light.

Facts are facts, SDSU has 5 straight wins over teams ranked in the top 25 at the IAA level. 2 losses against teams in the top 10 and a blowout victory over a team that stomped USD. USD gave up 44 points to Mankato. I'd stick to the yote board and the high hopes there if you want sympathy.

SUPERBUNNY
11-02-2006, 11:13 AM
I agree with jackmd about making a comparison between SDSU and USD in regards to where they were at when making the transition.

USD does deserve credit for having some success! But there isn't a way that you can compare it to SDSU a few years back. The main reason is that the current NCC is a shadow of its former self. When NDSU, SDSU, and UNC left it took a major presence away from the conference. If those schools were still in the NCC it would push USD back down to the middle of the pack at best.

I worry that USD is using this artificial sense of accomplishment as one of the justifications for moving up!

Again, not saying "screw the U" but "the U is screwed"! A brutal decsion for them and there isn't a clear answer!

Good luck to the 'Yotes!

SUPERBUNNY

JBNJBQ
11-02-2006, 06:16 PM
I agree with jackmd about making a comparison between SDSU and USD in regards to where they were at when making the transition.

USD does deserve credit for having some success! But there isn't a way that you can compare it to SDSU a few years back. The main reason is that the current NCC is a shadow of its former self. When NDSU, SDSU, and UNC left it took a major presence away from the conference. If those schools were still in the NCC it would push USD back down to the middle of the pack at best.

I worry that USD is using this artificial sense of accomplishment as one of the justifications for moving up!

Again, not saying "screw the U" but "the U is screwed"! A brutal decsion for them and there isn't a clear answer!

Good luck to the 'Yotes!

SUPERBUNNY

SUPERBUNNY:

You are absolutely correct on every point in your assessment. I couldn't have said it better!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

NightHawk78
11-03-2006, 05:08 PM
USD's new nickname if the D-1 move fails: The Savannah State of the Plains

SUPERBUNNY'S right: "the U is screwed" The harsh fact of the matter is that USD screwed themselves when they refused to get the NCC to go D-1 as a conference and they did absolutely nothing to ensure the long-term viability of the NCC. Instead, USD thought they were on the right track as they replaced three good schools with three crummy schools on their schedule and "suddenly" ended up having back-to-back 9-2 seasons and a conference co-title. The coaching change was needed, but that's only half of the reason the 'Yotes imroved on the gridiron.

Good luck, Coyote_Fan, when USD declares it will move up to D-1. They are going to need a lot of money and a healthy dose of luck to make the move work. (Unless UND already has got your two schools into the BS Conference and its Montana-backed subsidy program ::) ::) ::))

More_Cowbell
11-04-2006, 02:57 PM
Check out the list of Inter-Collegiate Athletic Consulting's clients.

http://www.icac.us/clients.htm

Did the U find their name, scratched on a bathroom stall door? ;D

JBNJBQ
11-05-2006, 08:17 AM
Check out the list of Inter-Collegiate Athletic Consulting's clients.

http://www.icac.us/clients.htm

Did the U find their name, scratched on a bathroom stall door? ;D

I would be a little nervous taking recommendations from a firm that hadn't updated their client listing since July 1 2002 (see bottom of their listing). They are at least 4 years behind the curve.......But then come to think of it.......so is usdII!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

el_presidente
11-11-2006, 02:06 AM
Somebody may have posted this already but I didn't see it anywhere so I thought I would post it up here. The argus leader has a editorial called "First step up for USD: Finding Funding"

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061110/VOICES01/611100314

Show me the money!

University of South Dakota President Jim Abbott has to be saying that to himself over and over.

Show me the money!

Inter-Collegiate Athletic Consulting, hired by the university to study a move from Division II to Division I athletics, has recommended USD move up a notch, following South Dakota State University.

The highlighted part would imply to me that USD is currently down a notch since they have to move up a notch to follow us.

GoJacks
11-11-2006, 01:24 PM
USD screwed themselves when they refused to get the NCC to go D-1 as a conference and they did absolutely nothing to ensure the long-term viability of the NCC.

I was the understanding that when it was voted on to have the NCC move up to DI, the four schools that voted in favor of it was UNC, SDSU, NDSU and USD.

jackmd
11-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Somebody may have posted this already but I didn't see it anywhere so I thought I would post it up here. The argus leader has a editorial called "First step up for USD: Finding Funding"

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061110/VOICES01/611100314

Show me the money!

University of South Dakota President Jim Abbott has to be saying that to himself over and over.

Show me the money!

Inter-Collegiate Athletic Consulting, hired by the university to study a move from Division II to Division I athletics, has recommended USD move up a notch, following South Dakota State University.

The highlighted part would imply to me that USD is currently down a notch since they have to move up a notch to follow us.

Spoke to a couple of USD grads and supporters yesterday. Abbott was at one of their "functions" Monday night and he assured them that the money is in place. For whatever thats worth. These guys seem pretty reliable but they don't have anymore than Abbott's word. They assured me we would all hear about it next month.

Abbott seems to have a pretty good track record when it comes to securing funds for academics. Athletics is a different story. I await his announcement.

Coyote_Fan
11-12-2006, 02:47 AM

Show me the money!

Show me the money!

Spoke to a couple of USD grads and supporters yesterday. Abbott was at one of their "functions" Monday night and he assured them that the money is in place. For whatever thats worth. These guys seem pretty reliable but they don't have anymore than Abbott's word. They assured me we would all hear about it next month.

Abbott seems to have a pretty good track record when it comes to securing funds for academics. Athletics is a different story. I await his announcement.

Thanks Jack MD for this post. I have never heard even a wisper from Abbott or even a rumor about what he has been thinking lately. If he addressed the idea that the funding would be in place that pretty much tells you right there the way he is leaning on the D1 issue. He probably wouldn't say that if they were staying D2. I am guessing the funding is either coming from a big donor (Sanford) or combination of them or there is a significant portion coming from a sponer or sponcers.