• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airplane with Attorney General Long hits coyote

Airplane with Attorney General Long on board hits coyote
    By By JON WALKER
    jwalker@argusleader.com
    PUBLISHED: November 16, 2006
    An airplane with Attorney General Larry Long on board struck a coyote while landing in Watertown.

“You could feel the thump and some folks said they’d heard it. It was pretty obvious something had happened,” Long said.

Officials weren’t ready to call the incident Tuesday night a first for South Dakota, but it is rare. South Dakota has 75,000 coyotes, by one estimate. But they’re secretive, solitary and usually too smart to get in the way of airplanes, unlike birds that regularly get sucked into jet engines.

“They’re generally pretty wary. If there’s a noise, they’ll certainly run away,” said Ben Chambers, a Game, Fish and Parks conservation officer in Watertown.

The flight, Mesaba 3183, was on a Saab prop-jet with 22 passengers aboard. It was en route from Minneapolis to Watertown and Pierre. “The crew landed the aircraft safely and there never was any danger to passengers or crew,” said Elizabeth Costello, director of communications for Mesaba in Minneapolis.

The plane’s nose landing gear struck the coyote. The animal died but not before cracking a taxi light, damage that idled the plane overnight until a mechanic arrived the next day.

Long was returning from a meeting in Florida of Republican attorneys general.

Sounds like the Yote who was on The Biggest Loser must of hit the plane to cause all that damage  ;D
    Also found the usually too smart to get in the way of airplanes, quite funny  ;D

Re: Airplane with Attorney General Long hits coyot

I saw Larry Long and his wife all decked out in SDSU gear at the William Penn game....

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
      I saw Larry Long and his wife all decked out in SDSU gear at the William Penn game....

According to the SDSU Alumni Directory Larry is a 1969 grad of SDSU so he should be all deckout and cheering Jacks on.

Comment

It is a shame there weren't more coyotes.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

The only way the story would be better is if the plane landed in Vermin--- I mean Vermillion!
          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
          X