No announcement yet.

Coach Nagy before the season starts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Nagy before the season starts...

After this season is done..

Re: Coach Nagy before the season starts...

Nice try, Mavs Rule.......Nagy knows that he has a VERY young team........sadly, he has been in rebuilding mode ever since SDSU made the move to D-1.........

Nagy expected this to be a long year; I can't say the same for your major boosters who woke up one day to find that the UNO(d-2) atheltic department was drowning in debt, Belck and Buck were on a lavish spending spree, and the NCC was receiving last rites.

Comment

You can say whatever you want about Nagy. The truth is uno2 has never had a coach in any sport that is the caliber of Nagy.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
        You can say whatever you want about Nagy. The truth is uno2 has never had a coach in any sport that is the caliber of Nagy.

Nagy was a good coach but he is not currently a very good coach. You can only use the fact that the team is young for so long. It's been 3 years now (or will be very soon) and he isn't getting his team to play and win for him, either that or the players that he recruited aren't very good. Either way the current state of the program falls onto his shoulders. I am not stating those comments as smack talk against Nagy but the Jacks are no better right now than a Division 2 team which is the opposite of the football program right now. When/If USD goes D1 I question how good the Coyotes will be under Boots. I think his coaching style and methods are actually growing a bit old and I would be open to the idea of having a new coach. I am not ready to kick him to the curb yet but am open to anything.

It's kind of wierd that USD and SDSU are both now football schools and they both haven't been that way together for a long long time. Just to challenge the supporters of SDSU I can't think of a year where both programs were as successfull cumulatively as they both were this year. I would think you would need to go back at least as far back as the 70's if not further.
        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan
          [quote author=1bunnies link=1164570388/0#2 date=1164591696]You can say whatever you want about Nagy. The truth is uno2 has never had a coach in any sport that is the caliber of Nagy.

Nagy was a good coach but he is not currently a very good coach.  You can only use the fact that the team is young for so long.  It's been 3 years now (or will be very soon) and he isn't getting his team to play and win for him, either that or the players that he recruited aren't very good.  Either way the current state of the program falls onto his shoulders.  I am not stating those comments as smack talk against Nagy but the Jacks are no better right now than a Division 2 team which is the opposite of the football program right now.  When/If USD goes D1 I question how good the Coyotes will be under Boots.  I think his coaching style and methods are actually growing a bit old and I would be open to the idea of having a new coach.  I am not ready to kick him to the curb yet but am open to anything.  

It's kind of wierd that USD and SDSU are both now football schools and they both haven't been that way together for a long long time.  Just to challenge the supporters of SDSU I can't think of a year where both programs were as successfull cumulatively as they both were this year.  I would think you would need to go back at least as far back as the 70's if not further.  [/quote]

1. Nagy still is a good coach. I don't know what your smoking.
          2. It is a fact that we are a young team. It is not an excuse. We have reamined young because of circumstances out of Nagy's control.
          3. As young as we are, I still believe we would kick the mutts in Vermillion all over the floor.
          4. There is nothing wierd about SDSU football. What is wierd is you think usd2 is now a football school because they dominate Upper Iowa and Minnesoata-Crookston. If SDSU, NDSU, and UNC were still on usd2's schedule you would, as I have stated before, most likely be a 500 team. You might have only won a game or two against our schedule this year.
          5. Doesn't usd2 have their own board? Go back to your dump of a dome.

Comment

[quote author=1bunnies link=1164570388/0#2 date=1164591696]You can say whatever you want about Nagy. The truth is uno2 has never had a coach in any sport that is the caliber of Nagy.

Nagy was a good coach but he is not currently a very good coach. You can only use the fact that the team is young for so long. It's been 3 years now (or will be very soon) and he isn't getting his team to play and win for him, either that or the players that he recruited aren't very good. Either way the current state of the program falls onto his shoulders. I am not stating those comments as smack talk against Nagy but the Jacks are no better right now than a Division 2 team which is the opposite of the football program right now. When/If USD goes D1 I question how good the Coyotes will be under Boots. I think his coaching style and methods are actually growing a bit old and I would be open to the idea of having a new coach. I am not ready to kick him to the curb yet but am open to anything.

It's kind of wierd that USD and SDSU are both now football schools and they both haven't been that way together for a long long time. Just to challenge the supporters of SDSU I can't think of a year where both programs were as successfull cumulatively as they both were this year. I would think you would need to go back at least as far back as the 70's if not further. [/quote]

OK, a little history lesson for you. In its last year of D2, SDSU had several fifth-year seniors and a couple of sixth-year seniors. They left and Nagy recruited a talented class, all but one of whom are now gone for various reasons. The team's second-leading scorer, a holdover from D2 days, decided he didn't want to play anymore. Whether we went D1 or not, this team would be very, very young and inexperienced.

Now if you had seen players like Cadwell, Williams, Callahan and Bassett play (sophomore, true freshman, true freshman, true freshman) you'd know they're legitimate mid-level D1 players. And if you had watched your team compete against D1 competition for three years, you'd know that the most difficult leap from D2 to D1 is in men's basketball. Don't give me the NDSU story... they beat a good team last year, but had a bunch of wins against pretty weak competition. Oh, and we beat them with four football players.

That's not to diminish what NDSU has accomplished. Miles is a good coach, and they have some really good players. I would say we're a year behind NDSU mainly because it's only this year that we're getting an entire roster of "new" players on the court (with the exception of Andy Kleinjan, of course). These things take time.

I am one of those who hopes USD moves up and who hopes the transition period isn't too difficult for the Coyotes. Why? Because the student athletes will suffer if it is. I am predicting, though, that it'll be a tough time for Coyote fans, just as it has been for Jacks fans. But to say Nagy isn't the right guy for us just flies in the face of reality. These things take time. If Nagy says they're improving, I'm going to give him (and his 200-some wins) the benefit of the doubt. He has forgotten more about basketball since breakfast this morning than you or I will ever know.

Comment

I will say that the picture posted is very funny, and I'm sure mavfan just meant it as a joke. I don't think even he would say that Nagy isn't a great coach. I think that Nagy is still a great coach.  Basketball is basketball and he hasn't forgotten how to coach now that State is D-I.  He has had a string of bad luck since making the move.  It's unfortunate that it's occurred as State has made the move, because it's making it look like they can't compete against DI competition, when that is really not the case.  The teams SDSU had the last 10 years in DII would have had much more success in DI than these teams they have had the last couple of years.  Once guys stop getting hurt or transfering then State will return to a great basketball program.  
              I was very impressed with Nagy's coaching ability when he took SDSU's football team and beat NDSU last year.  Nagy is a great coach. It does seem like his style lends itself to giving up a lot of three pointers, but thats really trying to nit pick.  

Comment

Nagy was a good coach but he is not currently a very good coach.  You can only use the fact that the team is young for so long.  It's been 3 years now (or will be very soon) and he isn't getting his team to play and win for him, either that or the players that he recruited aren't very good.  Either way the current state of the program falls onto his shoulders.  I am not stating those comments as smack talk against Nagy but the Jacks are no better right now than a Division 2 team which is the opposite of the football program right now.  When/If USD goes D1 I question how good the Coyotes will be under Boots.  I think his coaching style and methods are actually growing a bit old and I would be open to the idea of having a new coach.  I am not ready to kick him to the curb yet but am open to anything.  

It's kind of wierd that USD and SDSU are both now football schools and they both haven't been that way together for a long long time.  Just to challenge the supporters of SDSU I can't think of a year where both programs were as successfull cumulatively as they both were this year.  I would think you would need to go back at least as far back as the 70's if not further.  [/quote]

Coyote_Fan, you should be taking notes on what has been happening up here in the men's basketball program because this is what will happen down there if you (who am I kidding, when) make the jump!

You feel just as strong about Boots down there as we do about Nagy at SDSU but that gets questioned because the transition for MBB is easily the hardest of any of the sports we offer. Transition has been absolutely brutal for this team! Sure they have had some bad luck but mainly it's just a tough sport to adapt to the next level!

Nothing has changed about Coach Nagy, if anything he has mellowed a bit which is probably needed due to the young team he has. Everything changed when the move to D-1 was announced. Recruiting, scheduling, travelling, and everything else became a lot more work for the coaches and the players. It isn't a strong selling point to recruits that you don't have a conference, you'll constantly be on the road, the team is young and inexperienced, and we aren't going to a post season tournament or win a conference championship no matter how good our record is! But, we'd sure love to have you play for the Jacks!

Things changed completely for this team with the Mid-Con affiliation. Now we have a home, all future recruits will play for conference title, we will have a balanced home/away schedule, and we can play in the NCAA tournament in 2008 (You know, that little March Madness thing)! I've talked to all four of the coaches and they are very upbeat about the future and they now have something to sell when they are recruiting! It is night and day for them!

Given a couple more years, I would expect things to come around and the Jacks will get back to their winning ways and the fans will be there to support them (look at the support the women are receiving).

I feel that has SDSU is now a D-1 institution and we are excited about all sports and that we are no longer a "basketaball school"!

One last comment, I am so proud of all of the men on the basketball team this year! They are working their tails off and giving Coach Nagy everything they have each and every time they play. Some people may not be going to the games but my family and I will be there cheering for them at every game and be proud of their efforts! They are going to get a lot better this year and am looking forward to seeing that unfold!

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by juice
                  I will say that the picture posted is very funny, and I'm sure mavfan just meant it as a joke.  I don't think even he would say that Nagy isn't a great coach.  I think that Nagy is still a great coach.  Basketball is basketball and he hasn't forgotten how to coach now that State is D-I.  He has had a string of bad luck since making the move.  It's unfortunate that it's occurred as State has made the move, because it's making it look like they can't compete against DI competition, when that is really not the case. The teams SDSU had the last 10 years in DII would have had much more success in DI than these teams they have had the last couple of years.  Once guys stop getting hurt or transfering then State will return to a great basketball program.  
                  I was very impressed with Nagy's coaching ability when he took SDSU's football team and beat NDSU last year.  Nagy is a great coach. It does seem like his style lends itself to giving up a lot of three pointers, but thats really trying to nit pick.  

Juice,

I don't think that is a fair comaprison. There is no doubt we had some strong teams in D-2 but that is where they were recruited. It must have been fairly easy to bring a recruit into the USD game in front of 8,000 crazy fans and get them excited about playing for the Jacks. Along with having the chance to win a conference title, a chance to go to the post season, and a chance to win a national championship!

You are absolutely correct that when stability returns to the program that things will turn around and the transferring will stop. Nagy is still a great coach and that will prove out! My belief is that will happen starting next year! Not much can be done about injuries other than being lucky enough to avoid them.

We all just need to keep the faith and support these guys! They need it now more than ever!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Am I wrong, or is MavWhatever saying that Nagy will turn into Gandalf the Wizard by the end of the season?

Seems to me like a complement.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                    X