To Answer The Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Answer The Question

Well...It seems lil ole Stu is interested in what SDSU thinks about the possible renewing of the USD rivalry. Well heres ur answer. I'm an SDSU student and I could careless. I hope to God we don't ever have to play USD again, in any sport, and if we ever play them, I along with many others prolly won't even show up to the game, cuz we all know that USD is gona suck, we don't care or like USD, and were all laughing at the fact that they honestly think they have a chance at the Division I level. They're most likely not going to get into the Mid-Conn, Hopefully SDSU goes to the Gateway, and and even if they are in our confrence their ability to play is going to be far below par that of ours. So until they can catch up, it will be like watching a Valparaiso, or Southern Utah game. As far as using attendance records as a way of judging the signifigance of the rivalry, u've barely taken into account that nothing like USC has shown up here at SDSU for men's athletics. The girls game was one of the largest Crowds ever for girls Basketball, and the USC coach was quoted in saying that the Frost Crowed was the toughest it ever faced, considering most girls basketball games at the national level only average about 500 or less students a game. Lets move on to boys bball though. Boys basketball is difficult to judge. As far as I'm concerned attendance has been low because of how we've struggled the last two seasons. We are much better now though, and I'd like to note the difference in crowd size from Arkansas State to Utah State, we had 1227 people at the first, and after winning the crowd size grew to 1942. Thats a huge jump, when the boys win people show up, and when big schools come people show up. Even after close games people show up, but when ur record is 2 and 7, its a struggle to get fans there. As SDSU gets better, lower level games against teams like USD will become the low attendance boring games, because the Students have had a taste of whats good, and when we start bringing in higher level teams and begin to amass more wins, nobody will care about lil'stupid'ole usd. Get off the South Eastern South Dakota trip, please, and especially the SDSU vs. USD crap, NDSU vs. SDSU is becoming a much bigger Rivalry, in the last 2 seasons we have set school records for attendance at those games, and just because One USD game is still riding high doesn't mean jack. After doing a quick poll of the first floor Pierson Guys nobody up here seems even want the USD SDSU games back like u argus writers (minus Terry, which Terry next time Stu or anybody cuts u off, talks over u, or tries to make ur points mute, tell um to shut up, u were the only one in that internet broadcast with any sense of what they were talkin about). Anyway thats my Rant, If SDSU and USD come back I'll be there to support my jacks but thats it. I hope it never does come back, and I can't wait until we finally leave USD behind, as the second rate institution that it is.

Re: To Answer The Question

ya i too am a student and i have never seen usd play and i really don't care to ever do. ndsu is our new rivial and usd will always be trying to catch up with us and no one will care about them.

Comment

Not surprising that two students wouldn't want to see the rivalry renewed. They haven't been part of it much, if at all.

Many of us have a lifetime invested into that rivalry and would like (when the time is right) to see it renewed. It's relatively easy to toss something aside when you haven't really been a part of it. It's much more difficult when something like the USD rivalry is essentially encoded into your DNA (I grew up in Brookings) to just dismiss it as lacking any redeeming value. There are people on this board and many people around the Jackrabbit Nation who miss the rivalry and, once USD is ready, we'd like to see it resume... in Brookings anyway.

I'm not saying these students are wrong. They are entitled to their opinion, and current students' opinions are very important as this discussion moves forward.

By the way, if you think Frost has been rockin' for NDSU games, you obviously haven't experienced a USD game at Frost.

Comment

Actually I too have been invovled in this USD SDSU rivalry for a long time too. My parents are both Huge jacks fans, graduates during the 1970's, everyone on my fathers and mothers side of the family attended SDSU, and I can remember since when I was little driving all the time to Brookings to watch SDSU football and basketball games. I've been to plenty of SDSU vs. USD events, and I still really don't care to see it re-instated. The NDSU games are very much alive, and have smashed into the top 10 in terms of attendance since SDSU's move. The USD rivalry will never come back, it is as you said, to old and lost on the students on campus, which I remind u the students are the driving force behind any rivalry. Only a few USD games have not had their attendance records broken. The SDSU vs. NDSU is a young rivalry and to produce results like they have is amazing. I won't be expecting those USD records to last much longer. Thanks for your input, I'm sorry you haven't gotten to see your rivalry, but it will never be what it once was, atleast not for a long time, and I still hope it never will and I'm very sure it won't since it has and will continue to be passed its prime with the Students at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Lil_Jack
          Actually I too have been invovled in this USD SDSU rivalry for a long time too. My parents are both Huge jacks fans, graduates during the 1970's, everyone on my fathers and mothers side of the family attended SDSU, and I can remember since when I was little driving all the time to Brookings to watch SDSU football and basketball games. I've been to plenty of SDSU vs. USD events, and I still really don't care to see it re-instated. The NDSU games are very much alive, and have smashed into the top 10 in terms of attendance since SDSU's move. The USD rivalry will never come back, it is as you said, to old and lost on the students on campus, which I remind u the students are the driving force behind any rivalry. Only a few USD games have not had their attendance records broken. The SDSU vs. NDSU is a young rivalry and to produce results like they have is amazing. I won't be expecting those USD records to last much longer. Thanks for your input, I'm sorry you haven't gotten to see your rivalry, but it will never be what it once was, atleast not for a long time, and I still hope it never will and I'm very sure it won't since it has and will continue to be passed its prime with the Students at SDSU.
          ya my parents and other family members went to school here in the late 70's and 80's too and they always talk about those good old days too, but i yawn and tell them much better days are ahead and that the fact that ndsu went D1 with us makes them a perfect rivial while usd sat and waited until it was safe to leave the house to do so. even when usd becomes an ok team, our goal should be to beat nsdu, are new and better rivial, and not care about what those guys down south are doing.

Comment

You guys ever heard of paragraphs?
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan
              They're in texting and email mode. Punctuation, words, spelling, paragraphs and other silly conventions just slow you down.

Comment

Yeah, that return key is a real drag...
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan
                  Punctuation and context, thats old school. Get with the program.

As for the rivalry, when USD is a full-fledged DI school we will play them again. If they can compete at our level then the rivalry will resume. Its that simple.

As for the transition period, USD can play us in Brookings anytime. Thats just the way it works. Stu knows that, USD knows that, we know that.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                  X