Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why have so many fans quit coming to bb games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why have so many fans quit coming to bb games?

In the last year of D2 SDSU drew approx 3375 fans per game for men's bb. One would think that once you went D1 attendance would go up. But what has happened is the Jacks averaged 2070 fans a game last year and this year they are down to about 1830 fans a game in their first four home games. Where the heck did your fan base go? I know if I was an alum and I lived within an hour I would go see Idaho, Utah St, and MSU play. They are attractive opponents but apparently a lot of your "fans" apparently aren't too impressed. When I go to UNO hockey I look around and only see about 4-5k fans and think that isn't very good. But compared to what you draw we are doing great. ;D

Re: Why have so many fans quit coming to bb games?

Most of our fans are fair weather fans which means they show up when we are winning Unfortunately the guys team isn't winning.

Comment

The D2 average also included a full slate of conference games, plus that season Northern state, which drew 6000, USD which drew 9000, and augie which drew 6000. Add in that we were playing for a conference championship, and that we haven't played NDSU yet this season and I don't think we're doing too bad. How many do you think that mavs would draw if they weren't post season eligible in bball?

The real test will come when we are playing in two year for a berth to the big dance and a conference championship. I'm guessing if we are even .500 we'll draw more than the D-II days then. If it even looks like there's a chance at a post season appearance that year, we'll average about 5000 I'm guessing.

Comment

As you will recall, and as been discussed here again and again, the games used to be doubleheaders and were on regular nights (weekends) so people could plan ahead. Next year, in the Mid-Con, we'll have some doubleheaders and the games will be on weekend nights.

Oh, and one ticket used to get you into both. So if we drew 3375 for men's basketball, that's how many tickets were sold. Now, women's sports are a separate ticket. So, if you add this year's men's average of 1830 and the women's average of 2208, the ticket sales actually look pretty good. I'm betting once we get into the Mid-Con schedule next year, we'll see some big crowds.

Maybe Mavpower should just post links to past Smack threads since he's just bringing up the same stuff over and over.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Well, those Baby Mav fans are really packing the arena. An average of under 600 and that only is because of inflated crowd numbers last week against Dana (as you stated earlier) and probably Concordia.

150 for Missouri Western and 200 for Peru State.....that is pretty amazing. I think most SD high schools exceed those attendance marks........ By the way, why are your attendance figures always nice, round numbers?

Our home schedule has been crappy since we moved up and our team has struggled. Casual fans will stay away and many students won't show up for games against unfamilar opponents, especially when the team has done poorly. Things will turn around by joining the Mid-Con and getting a better team on the court.

As for hockey, UNO has the Omaha hockey market cornered and your esteemed athletic department still manages to make a mess out of that situation. But, I guess you mentioned hockey because your basketball attandance numbers many NAIA schools look good.......

Postscript: SDSU has averaged 2208 so far this season for women's basketball; UNO gets an average of 209.

Comment

You can't be serious. You really didn't come on our board to smack us about Men's Basketball attendance did you? : The Mighty Mavs are Avg. 584 per game through 9 home contests. That is not even a good high school avg. :-[ Especially after you told us that UNO fudges their numbers. So sad. :'(

Originally posted by MAVPOWER
            I was at that game and I was stunned when I read that number. It should have been about 400. Sure there might have been 1050 right at the beginning of game. Our game was immediately following the Boys Metro High School BB tourney in the gym. So there were a lot of people talking and milling about at the beginning of the uno game. So technically there might have been 1050 at tipoff but by the 10 minute mark of the 1st half there were 400 fans approx.

Go State!

Comment

YAWN...Who cares? This bickering between a couple of people from Omaha or where ever and the poor suckers that full for their crap each and every time is like recess at some elementary school. And now I've sunk low enough to post here. :-? :

Comment

Oh yea, well my dad can beat up your dad! ;D

Go State!

Comment

My point exactly! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack
                    Next year, in the Mid-Con, we'll have some doubleheaders.
                    Is this true? I hope so. One of my fears about going DI is losing the double headers for basketball. Does the Midcon play double headers? I hope USD can find a way to schedule some double headers when they make the move, but I doubt they will. It just doesn't seem to be done, at least from what I've seen. You say the Mid-Con does play some double headers, if so I'm sure your fans will enjoy that.

Comment

Originally posted by juice
                      [quote author=JimmyJack link=1167963957/0#3 date=1167966574] Next year, in the Mid-Con, we'll have some doubleheaders.
                      Is this true?  I hope so.  One of my fears about going DI is losing the double headers for basketball.  Does the Midcon play double headers?  I hope USD can find a way to schedule some double headers when they make the move, but I doubt they will.  It just doesn't seem to be done, at least from what I've seen.  You say the Mid-Con does play some double headers, if so I'm sure your fans will enjoy that.   [/quote]

UMKC has a Women's/Men's Double Header this weekend against Southern Utah.

It also looks like it, when you check out the future schedules, there appear to be Saturday Double Headers (Men play on Thurs. and Saturdays, Women play on Saturdays and Mondays):

http://www.mid-con.com/future/

Go State!  

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                        [quote author=juice link=1167963957/0#9 date=1167972867][quote author=JimmyJack link=1167963957/0#3 date=1167966574] Next year, in the Mid-Con, we'll have some doubleheaders.
                        Is this true?  I hope so.  One of my fears about going DI is losing the double headers for basketball.  Does the Midcon play double headers?  I hope USD can find a way to schedule some double headers when they make the move, but I doubt they will.  It just doesn't seem to be done, at least from what I've seen.  You say the Mid-Con does play some double headers, if so I'm sure your fans will enjoy that.   [/quote]

It also looks like it, when you check out the future schedules, there appear to be Saturday Double Headers (Men play on Thurs. and Saturdays, Women play on Saturdays and Mondays):

Go State!  [/quote]

I like the sound of that. Now if USD can just some day get in a conference that does the same thing, I will be happy. Nothing better than a Saturday double header.

Comment

Originally posted by juice
                          [quote author=89rabbit link=1167963957/0#10 date=1167973068][quote author=juice link=1167963957/0#9 date=1167972867][quote author=JimmyJack link=1167963957/0#3 date=1167966574] Next year, in the Mid-Con, we'll have some doubleheaders.

Go State!  [/quote]

I like the sound of that.  Now if USD can just some day get in a conference that does the same thing, I will be happy.  Nothing better than a Saturday double header.

[/quote]
                          I thought you usd2 folks had your ticket punched. Thought you going Great West and Mid-Con. Did somebody put the brakes on.

Comment

I have a feeling we won't be getting "true" double-headers in the old NCC sense. I would expect to see something more like a 2:00 women's game followed by a 7pm Men's game so they can clear the arena and start over later.
                            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
                              I thought you usd2 folks had your ticket punched. Thought you going Great West and Mid-Con. Did somebody put the brakes on.
                              Great West? I'm sure they're expecting to be at the Feb. Gateway meeting in St. Louie.
                              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Working...
                              X