Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey SDSU Students.

Where Have all the Students gone?
    ZZZZZZZZ…Do you hear that? I hear it. The last couple home games a disturbing trend has shown up… Students missing in action. What's that you ask? Students who come to the home games and do nothing. Nothing includes sitting on your butt the whole game and not cheering on the Jacks. If you are a Jacks FanAddict, show that you are a Jacks FanAddict by making some noise, bringing a cowbell, do something. The student section has become a sad sight to see. As future leaders of this country, you could be active on your campus and at athletic events. Come on you’re getting into these games for free other schools have to pay to go to home events and make more noise than us. At least show your appreciation and make some noise to make Frost our home court. Our team is out there busting their butt to represent our school, so come on show some enthusiasm support our school and be a true Jacks FanAddict.

I challenge any student on this board to make an impact. I am sick of the lazy student syndrome.

Re: Hey SDSU Students.

Getting into the games for "free" is a relative term I think...

Comment

Dont make more of it than it is. At Duke, you pay an activitey fee but also pay to go to basketball games if you can get a ticket. I believe this is where Bluehat was going with this.

I would have to agree but it is not just the students...I sometimes wonder if everybody thinks their at the opera while watching games? :'(

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden
        Dont make more of it than it is. At Duke, you pay an activitey fee but also pay to go to basketball games if you can get a ticket. I believe this is where Bluehat was going with this.

I would have to agree but it is not just the students...I sometimes wonder if everybody thinks their at the opera while watching games? :'(
        I'll agree the fan support is disappointing.

On the other hand, the team needs to give the fans something to work with.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
          [quote author=Rabbitden link=1169835792/0#2 date=1169838393]Dont make more of it than it is.  At Duke, you pay an activitey fee but also pay to go to basketball games if you can get a ticket.  I believe this is where Bluehat was going with this.  

On the other hand, the team needs to give the fans something to work with.[/quote]
          What more must the women's team do to get support vocally.  Numbers are good, but we want a home court advantage that teams fear.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
            [quote author=filbert link=1169835792/0#3 date=1169838573][quote author=Rabbitden link=1169835792/0#2 date=1169838393]Dont make more of it than it is.  At Duke, you pay an activitey fee but also pay to go to basketball games if you can get a ticket.  I believe this is where Bluehat was going with this.  

On the other hand, the team needs to give the fans something to work with.[/quote]
            What more must the women's team do to get support vocally. Numbers are good, but we want a home court advantage that teams fear.[/quote]

Right now, the MEN'S team is struggling to achieve, and it's tough to get anybody to cheer. :'( :'(

But the WOMEN are in a WONDERFUL POSITION!!! Hopefully somebody is doing a BANNER in the UNION for the RPI, AND THE STRIVE FOR WNIT LIVE! (AT FROST!) A countdown through the UBC games, and packing them in so GET HOME GAMES IN THE WNIT should be broadcast by the KESD (student station), and as part of the broadcasts of Jacks games.

I only get to watch at a distance :'( :'( But backed my Jacks for years in Frost! Like we did to USC, let's make Frost one of the loudest, most feared arena in womens' BB anywhere!

Comment

Spread the word. A birdy tells me the new bunny is being unveiled at the NDSU game. The students will want to be there for that... oh, and it'll be a great game, too.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Filbert I agree that the men need to give us something to cheer about but lets take a look at the Utah game...we get within six with 1:30 left on the clock after being down by 18 and the fans dont even get off their chairs to make it hard for Utah to concentrate. Last night we go up by four in the second half and that is the time for the crowd to get into it again and numb the other team and I could of swore we were just starting the second aria it was so quite. :-/

I know our fans are basketball intellegent but I think they forgot when and when not to get loud?

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden
                  Filbert I agree that the men need to give us something to cheer about but lets take a look at the Utah game...we get within six with 1:30 left on the clock after being down by 18 and the fans dont even get off their chairs to make it hard for Utah to concentrate. Last night we go up by four in the second half and that is the time for the crowd to get into it again and numb the other team and I could of swore we were just starting the second aria it was so quite. :-/

I know our fans are basketball intellegent but I think they forgot when and when not to get loud?
                  To be honest . . . I've always thought that SDSU's crowd has usually been a bit on the polite side (sorry, USD guys, but you don't know how good you've had it over the years.) The students were always pretty good, but once you migrate to the north side of the arena, it's almost like there's a rule that you can't cheer or yell, only clap politely (yes, it's a caracature, but pretty accurate). Until the past few years, SDSU's crowd apparently thought that it was an NCAA violation to make noise when an opponent is shooting a free throw, for heaven's sake!

If you want to see a crowd with a killer instinct, go watch Kansas at Allen Fieldhouse. I had been going to SDSU games for 20+ years, but it was the Kansas crowd when I went to the old fieldhouse who taught me that the time to get really loud is when you've got a team down by 10 points. The Allen Fieldhouse crowd is only getting warmed up until that happens--then they literally make your ears ring. And it's not just the students getting into it . . . the grayhairs are standing and yelling with everyone else.

Crowds feed off teams, teams feed off crowds. It's a virtuous cycle, but it IS a cycle. One needs the other to really get things hopping.

On a related note . . . I've observed college-aged people in cheerleading uniforms standing at the west end of the Frost Arena floor. Perhaps someone could persuade them to actually LEAD CHEERS? Not the cheers they seem to want to do, but the cheers the crowd will do. Hmm??? Why should all of the DEE-FENSE and LET'S GO RABBITS cheers have to start in the crowd?

/grumpy old man mode
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Since When Did We Have a Morturary Science Major?

Last night was really the tipping point for bluehat and myself when it comes to the low energy level of crowd, particularly from the student section. We were in this game and the team really needed fan support, but it seemed like that a funeral home was more lively than most of Frost Arena

I was even more flustered when I heard the end of the women's game as the UVS student fans were moving all over the place so they could try to disrupt our players. Hence, my short comment about the men's game on that thread.

This is the reason why I get worried about attendance levels, particularly when it comes to NDSU. Their fans WILL show up and I don't want them to be the dominant voice on our home court/field. Our fans need to be more proactive, not reactive to the officiating or the opposing teams' fans. If I want to see an away team have the dominant crowd support, I'll watch a Nebraska-KU football game in Lawrence.....

It's pretty sad when we have to lay out smack on SDSU students.............but it's well deserved.

Comment

Just after I finished college at SDSU my wife and I came back for the Wells Fargo NCC tournament or the Regional Finals (can't remembe which). We decided to buy the best available tickets in the lower level reserved section and got seat about 1/2 way up, center court. It was a great game against UND. Whenever we stood up and cheered, we were promptly told to sit down by some not-so-kind fans sitting behind us. This same group didn't have a nice word to say about Heather Seiler, who was a freshman at the time. We were very, very disgusted and upset. Since then, whenever we make it back (which isn't often for WBB or MBB) we choose to sit out of the way, usually upper deck in a corner. Admittedly, we're awfully quiet.

Comment

http://www.clubs.psu.edu/up/nittwits...7_hartford.pdf Penn State calls out their students in there Gameday program. Unfortunately that won't fly over well here and won't be allowed to see daylight.

This
                        ZZZZZZZZ…Do you hear that? I hear it. The last couple home games a disturbing trend has shown up… Students missing in action. What's that you ask? Students who come to the home games and do nothing. Nothing includes sitting on your butt the whole game and not cheering on the Jacks. If you are a Jacks FanAddict, show that you are a Jacks FanAddict by making some noise, bringing a cowbell, do something. The student section has become a sad sight to see. As future leaders of this country, you could be active on your campus and at athletic events. Come on you’re getting into these games for free other schools have to pay to go to home events and make more noise than us. At least show your appreciation and make some noise to make Frost our home court. Our team is out there busting their butt to represent our school, so come on show some enthusiasm support our school and be a true Jacks FanAddict.
                        Was going to be put in the Middle Tennesse State Rabbit Den Reader but has been nixxed.

Comment

I defer to the good judgement of our athletic administration department.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                            http://www.clubs.psu.edu/up/nittwits...7_hartford.pdf Penn State calls out their students in there Gameday program. Unfortunately that won't fly over well here and won't be allowed to see daylight.

This
                            Was going to be put in the Middle Tennesse State Rabbit Den Reader but has been nixxed.
                            Figure out a way to be positive about the message rather than negative and snippy, and you might get it approved . . .
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

That's what I was going to say.

Comment

Working...
                              X