Hey Tennessee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Tennessee

Thompson-Boling Arena was loud and full of orange for Tennessee's showdown against No. 1 Duke. Even men's coach Bruce Pearl joined the student section, painting his bare chest orange and supplying the white "V" in GO VOLS.

The Blue Devils loved it.

Duke (20-0) stormed out to a 19-0 lead, never trailed and held on to win 74-70 Monday night. It was one of the most dominating performances early by an opponent that fans here have seen in a long time.

Duke has won three straight over Tennessee, including last year's 75-53 win in Durham. The Cameron Crazies had fun taunting the Lady Vols, especially Hornbuckle. They held up Wal-Mart bags during the game, referencing Hornbuckle's arrest for shoplifting before arriving at Tennessee.

Summitt and her players took unprecedented efforts to encourage students to attend by making announcements in the campus cafeteria.

Pearl had said earlier in the week on a radio show with Summitt that he would paint his chest and stand in the student section. She did not promise the same for a men's game.

Waner said she would suggest the idea to Duke men's coach Mike Krzyzewski. Goestenkors smirked a little and looked askance at Waner.

"It's great that the support is here," Waner said. "We get that from our men's program too. I'm sure the team appreciated it. It shows a lot about the respect women's basketball is getting."
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=270222633
    Looks like Duke is a little bit better in the women's game I had to do a little snookums smack.

Re: Hey Tennessee

You know, I'm trying, but I just can't see Scott Nagy, bare-chested, wearing yellow greasepaint with a big blue SD on his chest, yelling "Let's Go Rabbits" while standing beside BlueHatMan . . .
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
      You know, I'm trying, but I just can't see Scott Nagy, bare-chested, wearing yellow greasepaint with a big blue SD on his chest, yelling "Let's Go Rabbits" while standing beside BlueHatMan . . .
      Maybe it's time to bring the bright blue or yellow blazers out of the closet. I kind of liked those!

Filbert, I agree on the assesment! AJ would probably pass as well. Maybe it could be a friendly wager for the two coaches! Whichever team gets to the NCAA first, the other coach has to be there bare chested to cheer them on!

That would be hilarious!

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

While watching the game and Bruce Pearl, I kept thinking of that line from Dazed and Confused, "That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age." The game was great though. Duke was on fire to start getting up 19-0, Lady Vols fought back the rest of the way and almost pulled it out.

Comment

That is so Bruce Pearl. He was definetly a favorite among UWM students in his brief stint there.

Comment

[quote=thebluehatman]
            Looks like Duke is a little bit better in the women's game  I had to do a little snookums smack.
            Let's talk about it when SDSU plays a #1 ranked team, on ESPN2, and gets within 4 points of an upset!

Also, see good pictures of Bruce Pearl's body paint at http://utladyvols.cstv.com/view.gal?...player_gallery (photos 3, 4 and 41 out of 41). You have to love that Big Orange spirit!!!!!!  Will I see anything similar in Brookings on 1/25, 1/27 or 1/29???

Comment

Originally posted by Snookums
              [quote author=thebluehatman link=1169559097/0#0 date=1169559096]
              Looks like Duke is a little bit better in the women's game I had to do a little snookums smack.
              Let's talk about it when SDSU plays a #1 ranked team, on ESPN2, and gets within 4 points of an upset!

Also, see good pictures of Bruce Pearl's body paint at http://utladyvols.cstv.com/view.gal?...player_gallery (photos 3, 4 and 41 out of 41). You have to love that Big Orange spirit!!!!!! Will I see anything similar in Brookings on 1/25, 1/27 or 1/29???
              The Snookster calls out the Jackrabbit Nation! Come on, Rabbits, don't disappoint lil' ol' filbert!!!
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I gotta think that we would leap at the opportunity to do that. 8-)

GO JACKS
                An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
                US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2780818
                  Looks like the whole coaching staff has gone nuts down there
                  Now it's Pat Summitt's turn.

Tennessee men's coach Bruce Pearl painted himself orange and cheered in the student section for the women's game against No. 1 Duke on Jan. 22. Pictures and video of Pearl were very popular online and on highlight reels for several days afterward.

Tennessee men's coach Bruce Pearl had some fun with members of his team while rooting on the Lady Vols.  Lady Vols coach Pat Summitt said then she was planning a similar gesture for a men's game, and now her time has come.

Summitt and her staff are planning a special appearance during Tennessee's game Tuesday night against Florida (No. 4 ESPN/USA Today; No. 5 AP).

Summitt didn't want to say exactly what she is doing, but she's dropped hints by mentioning her days as a cheerleader in seventh and eighth grade.

"I might come back and perform with my staff," she said Monday.

Pearl is in on the secret.

"I know what Pat is doing, but I'm not at liberty to say," he said. "I think [fans] are going to love it, and I think America is going to see a side of Pat Summitt that they haven't seen in a long time."

Comment

Whatever Pat and her crew are doing must be working, the Volunteer men are wailing on Florida tonight.  They're up 60 to 36 with under 15 minutes to go.
                    An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
                    US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

How cool was that to see a coach of Pat Summit's stature wear a cheerleading outfit and sing Rocky Top to the crowd? That was awesome. I bet the Tennessee fans loved it. She is a God there.

Comment

Of course its on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD5Je9F-SZ8

Bruce Pearl's outfit was better.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Snookums is envious of Pat's legs. I of course disagree
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

[quote author=juice link=1169559097/0#10 date=1172678749]How cool was that to see a coach of Pat Summit's stature wear a cheerleading outfit and sing Rocky Top to the crowd?  That was awesome.  I bet the Tennessee fans loved it.  She is a God there.[/quote

I heard that she was going to do something the other day and thought it was pretty cool. I wasn't at all expecting her to do what she did! Again, pretty cool that they have that kind of comraderie!

I have to say though, I have had that image of her being hoisted up at the end of that timeout seared into my brain all day and I'm not at all happy about it!

SUPERBUNNY
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

With how this season has gone, it couldnt really hurt. Maybe instill a sense of school pride in the team if they see the coach being passionate about the school. Rocky top is one of my favorite school songs there are but not so much when Pat Summit sings it. Kudos though to her for letting down her image of all business and no fun.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                              X