PDA

View Full Version : Kingsbury County towns

Pages : [1] 2

NightHawk78
10-17-2006, 01:43 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061017/COLUMNISTS0104/610170338/1002/SPORTS

Our ol' friend Stu Whitney truely deserves his own smack thread. So, I'm starting this thread so we can post any future (or classic) Stu moments here. Today, Stu is in love with the impending showdown between Augie and USD this Saturday at the DakotaDumpTM. He, however, neglects to mention that this potential "classic" may be the one of the last meaningful games that will ever be played between the schools as the NCC's future is shaky at best. Stu, also refused to refute Coach Salem's claim that Augie-USD is the "biggest rivalry in the state right now."

It seems that Stu should be on top of the impending D-1 decisions by Augie and USD, but those stories seem to have faded from the Argus Leader's radar since Solari left town.......

Stu does get kudos from me from mentioning the joint fundraiser for USD asst. Mike Freidel. I hope that he continues his recovery and that the fundraiser goes well......

EDIT: Overall toning down of the post and thread title

jackmd
10-17-2006, 01:49 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061017/COLUMNISTS0104/610170338/1002/SPORTS

Our ol' friend Stu "Witless" Whitney truely deserves his own smack thread. So, I'm starting this thread so we can post any future (or classic) Stu-pid moments here. Today, Stu is in love with the impending showdown between Augie and USD this Saturday at the DakotaDumpTM. He, however, neglects to mention that this potential "classic" may be the one of the last meaningful games that will ever be played between the schools as the NCC's future is shaky at best. Stu-pid, also refused to refute Coach Salem's claim that Augie-USD is the "biggest rivalry in the state right now."

It seems that Stu should be on top of the impending D-1 decisions by Augie and USD, but those stories seem to have faded from the Argus Leader's radar since Solari left town.......

Stu does get kudos from me from mentioning the joint fundraiser for USD asst. Mike Freidel. I hope that he continues his recovery and that the fundraiser goes well......

Its called pandering to the perceived masses. Stu, Mick, Mike_H want to believe that everyone in the state is most interested in Sioux Falls teams or SE South Dakota. They prefer to ignore the fact that there are more SDSU grads in Sioux Falls than any other university.

Why recognize the fact that the states largest and only DI university is about to travel to California to represent South Dakota against a top-5 team in the nation? That makes way too much sense.

As for Coach Freidel, I concur and if a fundraiser directed by either of those schools ever saw money from me it would be for a cause like this.

sdman
10-17-2006, 07:44 PM
I too wish that stu would give us some publicity but maybe that will come when the mid cont. comes to town and we establish some new rivalries.
I really don't mind him covering d2 schools but am amazed he isn't giving more coverage to the impending doom of the NCC. I hope the NCC survives but I doubt it will. To me it is a huge story when an 80 year premiere d2 league is probably going to fold in 2 years. I would give that story much more attention than he seems to give.

Haldersham
10-18-2006, 08:03 AM
I have never been a fan of Stu Whitney. That said, I do wonder if all this name calling is helpful? I think we need to stop and think about this. :(

filbert
10-18-2006, 12:15 PM
I agree with the suggestion that it's time to cool it with the "stu-pid" stuff. There's plenty to criticize in Mr. Whitney's writings without needing to resort to rather adolescent name-calling.

NightHawk78
10-18-2006, 12:24 PM
I apologize for the "stu-pid" remarks. I started the thread so we didn't need to start a new thread everytime Stu wrote something that resembled a rejected Collegian article. I placed this thread in the Smack section because I felt that regardless of what was posted, Stu-Smack would likely occur. Filbert, if you want to move this thread to the "Around South Dakota" section, that would be all right.

Regardless, I still would like to hear about some classic Stu-moments......

SUPERBUNNY
10-18-2006, 12:48 PM
I agree with the suggestion that it's time to cool it with the "stu-pid" stuff. There's plenty to criticize in Mr. Whitney's writings without needing to resort to rather adolescent name-calling.

I make a motion that our global moderator changes the heading of this thread to something more palatable for our "friend" from the Argus!

Do I hear a second?

SUPERBUNNY

jackmd
10-18-2006, 03:15 PM

I make a motion that our global moderator changes the heading of this thread to something more palatable for our "friend" from the Argus!

Do I hear a second?

SUPERBUNNY

I second that motion, I say Stu-smack as nighthawk mentioned in his post. Stu isn't necessarily stupid, just some of the stuff he writes seems that way.

sdman
10-18-2006, 03:46 PM
I don't think we need to worry. I would imagine that stu doesn't spend much or any time in the smack section of this board.

jackmd
10-18-2006, 03:51 PM
I don't think we need to worry. I would imagine that stu doesn't spend much or any time in the smack section of this board.

Are you suggesting he lurks elsewhere? ;) If so, I think I feel the same way.

Jacks99
10-18-2006, 03:55 PM
I did notice that the Argus is finally acknowleging the fact that the football team has been playing top 25 opponents. In this weeks briefs they refer to Poly as the 5 ranked road game for the Jacks. For what it's worth...

JBNJBQ
10-18-2006, 05:34 PM
Main Entry: 1stu·pid
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle French stupide, from Latin stupidus, from stupEre to be numb, be astonished -- more at TYPE
1 a : slow of mind : OBTUSE b : given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner c : lacking intelligence or reason : BRUTISH
2 : dulled in feeling or sensation : TORPID <still stupid from the sedative>
3 : marked by or resulting from unreasoned thinking or acting : SENSELESS <a stupid decision>
4 a : lacking interest or point <a stupid event> b : VEXATIOUS, EXASPERATING <the stupid car won't start>
- stu·pid·ly adverb
- stu·pid·ness noun
synonyms STUPID, DULL, DENSE, CRASS, DUMB mean lacking in power to absorb ideas or impressions. STUPID implies a slow-witted or dazed state of mind that may be either congenital or temporary <stupid students just keeping the seats warm> <stupid with drink>. DULL suggests a slow or sluggish mind such as results from disease, depression, or shock <monotonous work that leaves the mind dull>. DENSE implies a thickheaded imperviousness to ideas <too dense to take a hint>. CRASS suggests a grossness of mind precluding discrimination or delicacy <a crass, materialistic people>. DUMB applies to an exasperating obtuseness or lack of comprehension <too dumb to figure out what's going on>.

IF THE "STU" FITS, WEAR IT!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

NightHawk78
10-19-2006, 09:07 PM
http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1161291547

Stu calling us idiots definitely on the Argus would qualify as an "unintelligent decision or act." Stu may not be a stupid man, but his actions today would qualify as being stupid.

I was told that the football players were making fun of Stu's "Super Bowl" comments during their trip to McNesse. If we were to beat Cal Poly or NDSU, what would Stu use this time?

thebluehatman
10-19-2006, 09:13 PM
This recent event would make Stu's Top(Bottom) 10 List.

Jacks02
10-20-2006, 12:06 AM
What a joke, they actually made a point to bring up the message board so he could get his "shot in" about the idiots with 3 fingers who post here. Good one! You sure showed us Stu!

Thank you for validating the whole point of this thread. ;)

While you're at it, since you're obviously reading this. Please talk to whoever is responsible for ruining the Argus Leader web-site by making it completely unuseable. While it was once an enjoyable experience of keeping up with some local news, I have now completely given up and don't even bother anymore.

mitchell2006
10-20-2006, 01:12 AM
What professionals. It sounds like they put a couple middle schoolers on the mic and let them do their thing. Why didn't they mention anything about their beloved USD and thier message board.....oh wait, nobody posts or visits that board.

NightHawk78
10-20-2006, 01:47 AM
I'm sure Stu and Mick would have talked USD-Augie and then more USD (ugh....a USD love fest...insert gagging scene here) for the entire podcast if they weren't told to introduce Terry as the new SDSU beat writer. I suppose we should actually thank Stu for legitimizing this message board as THE place to go to discuss Jackrabbit athletics. After all, virtually no one posts on the SDSU portion of the Argus forum, especially after the idiotic attempt to improve their website.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
10-20-2006, 09:00 AM
Now I just feel sorry for Stu. For a guy who writes articles with a clear intention of stirring the pot, it's amazing how fragile his ego is. To take the time to make reference to this fan site is truly laughable and a little sad. Talk about losing any level of credibility. "Those big meanies on the SDSU fan site are talking bad about me again." Essentially, he just went out of his way to prove the point of all the negative things written about him.

jackrabit1
10-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Typical "Ivory Tower" mentality that's all too prevalent in the media today. I can rip everyone all I want, but God help the person that rips me!

Apparently that attitude is pretty prevalent at the Arduous Liar, or so it seems.

SUPERBUNNY
10-20-2006, 11:39 AM
It's funny to me how this whole thing plays out!

Isn't the goal of a newspaper to sell papers? Isn't the only reason to buy a paper would be to get information?

Assuming a yes answer to both of those questions, it is very obvious that Stu doesn't get it. The relationship between SDSU Athletics and the Argus Leader should be a win-win deal for both parties. It probably will be once we start playing in the Mid-Conference and continue to have more successes. Stu seems to be burning his bridge and may have to repair it at some point. Will he get the chance or get the axe? It will be interesting!

SUPERBUNNY

89rabbit
10-20-2006, 12:46 PM
I will say as someone engaged in the selling of products that it is bad form to insult your customers, and like it or not the folks at the Argus should understand that folks on this board are or could be their customers, no matter what they think of us.

If we as customers provide feedback, (be it positive or negative, justified, or unwarranted) the best thing they could do is listen to that feedback and decide if it is warranted and perhaps adjust the way they do business if it makes sense to do so. When people provide feedback they generally are still interested in your product and doing business. They are in most cases offering up suggestions on how you might better meet their needs.

Calling your customers names is never a winning strategy and although Stu and Mick work on the product end of their companies business they displayed poor judgment in my estimation. The risk of alienating 700 (or more as I am sure many people read this board that have never taken the time to register) customers/potential customers for their company far outweigh any personal benefit that they might have received from their attempt to "get back" at certain members of our forum for criticizing their performance.

Go State! :)

filbert
10-20-2006, 01:49 PM
I've thought about it overnight, and I feel the need to apologize to Stu . . .

Mr. Whitney:

I'm sorry that I live in Kansas City, where my expectations of a sports columnist have been set by the likes of Joe Posnanski (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/columnists/joe_posnanski/i), Blair Kerkhoff (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/columnists/blair_kerkhoff/), and Jason Whitlock (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/). Where my expectations of a college reporter are set by the writing of Mechelle Voepel (http://www.wbca.org/releases/2003greenberg.asp), Jason King (beat writer for the U. of Kansas), and Mike DeArmond (beat writer for Mizzou), among others.

I'm sorry that I've allowed my standards and expectations of what to expect from a newspaper's sports section to have risen to such heights. A number of those Kansas City Star writers have won national sportswriting awards, all produce amazingly good work, and I now realize it's unfair to have those same expectations of you.

After your completely justified (and, might I say, classy and well-argued) complaint you made on your recent podcast regarding the utterly unwarranted criticism of you which I and others have made on the SDSUFans.com Forum, I feel remorse for thinking that you should be considered by the same criteria as the writers and columnists of the Kansas City Star (or, for that matter, the Fargo Forum--it's my fervent hope that Terry Vandrovec will bring some much-needed professionalism back to the Argus' sports newsroom.).

I'm sorry that despite your best efforts, as SDSU becomes established in Division I, a wider and larger audience of college sports fans across the country may become exposed to your unique perspective, your extraordinary brand of humor and your inimitable writing skill. (Of course, the recent degradation of the Argus' web site lessens the chance that this will happen--congratulations on that!)

I am man enough to admit when I am wrong, and I was wrong.

Please accept my humble apologies.

(And yes, I'm aware you won a 2003 award for investigative reporting - - for stories on Janklow's pardons, not for sports. Perhaps this was a sign that your true talents lie elsewhere than sports columns and reporting?)

Haldersham
10-20-2006, 02:36 PM
I going to take a different approach to speculating on the behaviour of Stu Whitney.

I know from my own experience that if you are in the wrong organization or wrong job and you dont seem to have the courage to look elsewhere for opportunities, you tend to become very frustrated and can be a very hard person to get along with. This was how it was with me in my first job out of the SDSU and military service. I was not an extrovert nor was I a goal driven salesperson. The company I went to work for was a growing company. The extroverts who dressed nice and said nice things to management were often promoted over me in my 15 year career.

I had other skills, but since this company was growing I stood fast for nearly 15 years and it was a type of company that followed the Colonel Patterson of NCR management philosphy that firing was not a good idea, and that eventually the individual would find his own nitch so just keep moving him around until he finds that nitch or leaves by the side door. So I hung around for nearly 15 years and should have left after year 3 or less. I did not want to quit and they did not have a good reason to fire me. I as an individual look back at this career and wish I had gotten courage to move on sooner than I did in 1985. I do regret also how I treated people around me and from time to time I got into big trouble by being curt with customers. I could be very nasty and critical and most of the time it was the job progress of my career that was driving this behaviour.

Now as I understand the career of Stu Whitney, he has been at the Argus Leader since 1992. Thats at least about the same length of time I spent in the wrong job. Stu is probably seeing the same thing I saw in those 15 years. He has seen many cub reporters come and go on to better things. Stu has the title of assistant sports editor and I don't see that as a real promotion from reporter.

Chris Solari came and went during Stu's career and what others have said on this board, Chris got a promotion within the Gannett organization.
Chris made his talents known by covering SDSU and he did it successfully. Could that be a reason to be upset with SDSU and specifically, the message board? Could be!!!

I suspect the people higher up in the Gannett organization have a pretty good idea of what Stu can do and apparently its not all that rosey and like myself Stu hasnt given them any good reason to be canned. Maybe he should, but thats not our choice to make.

BTW jackmd is a very good doctor and very knowledgeable. I have asked medical questions of him off the board through IM's and he knows a great deal. He like everyone else is a very passionate Jack and as he said he has to hold himself and everyone around him to high standards.
I am sorry this is so offensive to Stu Whitney.

SUPERBUNNY
10-20-2006, 02:43 PM
I've thought about it overnight, and I feel the need to apologize to Stu . . .

Mr. Whitney:

I'm sorry that I live in Kansas City, where my expectations of a sports columnist have been set by the likes of Joe Posnanski (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/columnists/joe_posnanski/i), Blair Kerkhoff (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/columnists/blair_kerkhoff/), and Jason Whitlock (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/). Where my expectations of a college reporter are set by the writing of Mechelle Voepel (http://www.wbca.org/releases/2003greenberg.asp), Jason King (beat writer for the U. of Kansas), and Mike DeArmond (beat writer for Mizzou), among others.

I'm sorry that I've allowed my standards and expectations of what to expect from a newspaper's sports section to have risen to such heights. A number of those Kansas City Star writers have won national sportswriting awards, all produce amazingly good work, and I now realize it's unfair to have those same expectations of you.

After your completely justified (and, might I say, classy and well-argued) complaint you made on your recent podcast regarding the utterly unwarranted criticism of you which I and others have made on the SDSUFans.com Forum, I feel remorse for thinking that you should be considered by the same criteria as the writers and columnists of the Kansas City Star (or, for that matter, the Fargo Forum--it's my fervent hope that Terry Vandrovec will bring some much-needed professionalism back to the Argus' sports newsroom.).

I'm sorry that despite your best efforts, as SDSU becomes established in Division I, a wider and larger audience of college sports fans across the country may become exposed to your unique perspective, your extraordinary brand of humor and your inimitable writing skill. (Of course, the recent degradation of the Argus' web site lessens the chance that this will happen--congratulations on that!)

I am man enough to admit when I am wrong, and I was wrong.

Please accept my humble apologies.

(And yes, I'm aware you won a 2003 award for investigative reporting - - for stories on Janklow's pardons, not for sports. Perhaps this was a sign that your true talents lie elsewhere than sports columns and reporting?)

ROFLMAO!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh, that's right! It's not funny!

SUPERBUNNY

filbert
10-20-2006, 02:47 PM
The SDSUFans.com Forum:

One-stop career counseling for stalled-out small-metro newspaper assistant editors!

Heh.

NightHawk78
10-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Stu, perhaps you can fill in for David Kranz and write his political column the next time he goes on vacation. Since you won that award covering Janklow's pardons, you might be able to eventually take over as the Argus' politcal guru whenver Kranz decides to retire.........

SoDak
10-21-2006, 02:05 AM
This attitude comes from the top down. This is the way the Argus culture reacts anytime it's criticized. Whitney's taken his cues from editorial leadership. How incredibly childish.

RabbitinTea
10-21-2006, 09:37 AM
No matter what, this reaction was completely unprofessional. He should be disciplined by the Argus. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It's similar to someone in the media rattling a professional athlete. Then, if that athlete lashes out at the reporter he makes an a$$ out of himself, he's expected to be above the criticism and it's part of being a professional athlete. Well, guess what Stu? You're expected to be above the criticism and not supersensitive to your criticism. I know it was on a podcast, but I guarantee the Argus tracks how many people listen. I'd be curious to find out how many more Stu-haters were created by his lack of self-control. State fan or not, no one was impressed by his comments. I guess he made his own bed on this one.

thebluehatman
10-21-2006, 01:10 PM
When you want your latest fix on SDSU news turn to here first, you'll hear it long before you see it in the Crapus Leader. ;D Or grab a copy of the Collegian or Register, usually you'll see stuff in there way before the Crapus Leader prints it.

1bunnies
10-21-2006, 01:39 PM
It is so simple to take care of Stu. Tell everyone you know that subscribes to the Argus to cancel their subscriptions. When they are asked why, be honest and let them know your feelings about Stu. If Stu costs the Argus many subscription cancellations, they will take action. I dropped mine several months ago. Pass the word and get him out.

Rabbitlivinginverm
10-21-2006, 02:05 PM
It is so simple to take care of Stu. Tell everyone you know that subscribes to the Argus to cancel their subscriptions. When they are asked why, be honest and let them know your feelings about Stu. If Stu costs the Argus many subscription cancellations, they will take action. I dropped mine several months ago. Pass the word and get him out.

I had thought about subscribing to the Argus Leader understandng that it would probably be a day or two late (I live in the Black Hills) just because of the good coverage Solari provided. Obviouisly, the lack of coverage this year has made me decide otherwise. Now with Stu's comments I don't know that I'll ever subscribe to it even if I lived closer to Sioux Falls. I wish OkRabbit/JackPhd was still hanging around as he would have some good insight into this.

StormnNorman
10-21-2006, 06:23 PM
I thought about subscribing to the Argus too, but after thinking about it, they really don't offer too much of the news that I want. Not just sports, but everything. They get zeroed in on one area to cover and that's it.

jackmd
10-23-2006, 08:09 AM
What can you say. Just when Stu seems to have hit bottom he comes back with a bigger shovel and starts digging again. Nice Stu, nice.

Haldersham
10-24-2006, 08:24 AM
What can you say. Just when Stu seems to have hit bottom he comes back with a bigger shovel and starts digging again. Nice Stu, nice.

Anslo of "Keeping up Appearences' a British comedy series on PBS, likes to use the word "Nice" in often a sarcastic way and often means the opposite. Stu is going to be Stu. I am going to be nice and say no more.

gojacksgo
10-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Stu is looking for suggestions in this thread.

http://sdsportstalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27

Maybe some of you guys can let him know.

jackrabit1
10-27-2006, 06:53 PM
Meethinks the guy can dish it out, but he can't take it?

JBNJBQ
10-28-2006, 05:50 AM
Stu is looking for suggestions in this thread.

http://sdsportstalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27

A real professional!

http://thumb6.shutterstock.com/photos4/thumb_large/63986/63986,1146700401,1.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you think you could have written a better article, feel free to call with suggestions. 605-977-3922 ext. 922, or e-mail swhitney@argusleader.com.

Sincerely Yours,
Stu Whitney

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

NightHawk78
10-29-2006, 11:39 AM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061029/COLUMNISTS0104/610290351/1135/SPORTS05

This guy just doesn't want to give up on poking fun at our message board. Well, instead of using the "three fingers" and "Jackmd is not a real doctor" slams, he goes further and denigrates all message board posters:

It's an effective way to keep fans tuned in to their teams - and away from the daily tedium of matters such as finding a job, reading books or moving out of their uncle's basement.
Apparently, Stu, you've obviously been spending too much time on message boards since you often struggle to churn out a coherent article......

Talk about a waste of newspaper print and cyberspace. ::) ::) ::)

jackmd
10-29-2006, 12:07 PM
I like the posts where he spells word wrong on purpose as an attempt at ridiculing the intelligence of those on message boards. This occurs a day or two after the edition of the Argus sports page in Yankton, SD has a headline with "starring" spelled "staring". Did anyone else see that or was it just the copy of the paper I looked at?

I see the website has the proper spelling, I suspect the early print copies snuck out with the error in place. This is despite editing, which isn't necessary or expected on a message board.

Stu really spits in the face of those who he needs most, the sports fan. Especially the avid sports fan who might frequent a message board about their team or crave articles covering even the most mundane topics, an area where Stu seems to excel.

I hope Stu's is not too upset about the criticism and banter posted here with regards to his biased views on SDSU. What might he expect when he writes those articles and makes those comments? It might be best if Stu sticks to covering high school football, seems to match his intellect the best.

thebluehatman
10-29-2006, 12:11 PM
I think Stu tried stealing that mock thread filbert made, boy is he sinking to new lows.

jackrabit1
10-29-2006, 03:21 PM
It's bad enough that he can't take criticism... it seems most media-type people cant... but to STEAL from our own beloved filbert?!?!

Filbert, challenge this no-talent hack to a deuel!

filbert
10-29-2006, 04:52 PM
It's bad enough that he can't take criticism... it seems most media-type people cant... but to STEAL from our own beloved filbert?!?!

Filbert, challenge this no-talent hack to a deuel!

Don't need to. The duel is over and done. My fake board thread was already funnier than Stu's.

My impression is that he had no idea that I'd already lampooned bulletin board wackiness. This is in fact the most charitable view that I can take of his article. His article simply isn't that funny, unless you consider making fun of spelling errors and tiresome living-in-the-basement jokes funny.

Stu's just another guy who works for a newspaper, thinks he's funnier than he really is, and has a glass jaw when it comes to criticism. There's lots of them around.

I'm sure he'll get some kind of an award for today's article--for bravely facing down the anonymous spell-check-ignorers of the bulletin boards. Good on ya, Stu, keep 'em coming!

filbert
10-29-2006, 05:27 PM
Oh, yeah, one more thought:

Old (19th Century): "Don't start an argument with someone who buys ink by the barrel." -- Mark Twain (probably).

New (21st Century): "Don't annoy someone who has more spare time than you do." (http://instapundit.com/archives/033576.php) -- Zadaz (an Anonymous Slashdot Poster), via Glenn Reynolds (Instapundit, blogger extraordinaire, and law professor at the University of Tennessee.)

Rabbit3467
10-29-2006, 11:13 PM
All I can say is ... WOW. ::)
I stayed away from this thread because I dont live in SD anymore so i dont get the Argus, and I seldom read the online version. I read about how stu bashed members on this site... still didnt post. Just read that article of a fake message board...feel i have to post.

This article seems like the second attempt to make fun of/trash on people who write on message boards (not necessarily this board ::)) It really just bothers me that Stu needs to try to bash on the people that are hard core fans of local sports. Anyone that is using forums is trying to share in a community of people that are very loyal to their sports teams, this one being SDSU. It just bothers me that he feels the need to make fun of us, and other forum users. This forum is not the Argus, we are not always perfect, but we (atleast myselft) expect newspapers and their writers to have a certain level of professionalism that should not be compromised no matter what the situation is.

I can understand a sports writer not doing a good job covering a sports team, especially if they short on writers, but being unprofessional and ignorant is completely different.

If you are reading this Stu please IM me and I will send you my full name and address and we can talk about what I have posted as civilized individuals. Or you could just make fun of this post next week in the argus, your choice.

Sorry to the rest of the board for my rant.

Haldersham
10-30-2006, 02:12 PM
Not to be politcal, but I read a number of times, that blogs in general are starting to have an effect on how elections are won and how campaigning is conducted. The political handlers have had the power in the past by putting out a preception that often is false, but it gets voters to the polls to vote for their candidate. These paid political ads are only watched without having to deal with any response negatively or positively.

Now with online blogers and more choices for readers, the things that worked in the past may not work in the future. Blogs are an affective way of expressing opinions that do not coincide with a large views of Poltical ads or that of a large news organization that depends on advertisement for their existence. The blogger can say what ever he/she wants to say and its just a matter of finding the readers.

I think the message boards are somewhat like blogs. A sports columnist with the state's largest and most read newpaper does have power and it has given him power in the past. (i.e. Stu Whitney)

Why is it that media sports writers and broadcasters take time to read this message board and others?

They need ideas and they can also judge reader reaction by reading this board. They are looking for something new some times. So to some writers, the board criticism means little and the boards maybe helpful to the writer or boardcaster in general.

Stu for some reason feels threaten by the presence of message boards. Why else would he be bashing? Most people who read Stu's column would not take time to write him a scathing letter after reading some of his stirring remarks that are printed, but with this message board, we have three pages of expressed opinions on this thread about Stu and most of it is not complimentary.

I think this board has found a way to express and share our views of Mr. Whitney. As far as I am concerned, Stu is getting what he deserves, namely criticizm that he loves to dish out in his column and hope no one responds. Now he needs a way to strike back so what appeared in recent column is not surprising.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
10-31-2006, 02:08 PM
The funny thing is, Stu makes a great deal about the anonymity of the people on sites like ours, yet I doubt he's actually sent an PM to anyone asking them to either reveal their true identity or even ask them to elaborate on their opinions (which is what an adult would do). On the occasions when I was wondering who the true identity of a poster on this site is, I've simply sent a PM asking if they were fine with letting me know who they were. To a man, everyone has said, "Hey, Geoff, I'm _______. I know you from ____." or something similar. It's not a secret society here. Hell, my mom has people come up to her when she's working around the state and tell her, "I see your son on the SDSU fan site all the time." And I'm fine with that. I have no problems expressing my opinions and would gladly do so with Stu. People express their opinions about lawyers and my job in particular all the time. If I do a pisspoor job on something, I hear about it. My email is readily available on this site if you click on my user name.

That leads to the other part of this. If I have an issue with a co-worker, I generally go ask them about it and see what I can do to rectify the situation. We generally are able to work out a solution and the situation is diffused. Stu would rather sit back and throw a pity party for himself than actually act like an adult. "Poor me, I'm getting picked on by a bunch of people on a fan site. I know what I'll do, I'll resort to grade school name calling and that will show everyone. Besides, I'm smarter than everyone and no one has the right to question my judgement or opinons." I wouldn't accept that sort of behavior from my 3 year old daughter (not that she would resort to that level...she's too mature for that). Be an adult, Stu.

- Geoff Wilber

(FYI: all 10 fingers present and accounted for - 8 years of secondary education and generally only considered an "idiot" by my wife on occasion and when I drink in excess)

jackmd
10-31-2006, 02:40 PM
He said I'm not a real doctor, which I suppose could be true depending on how you define "real doctor".

I have a M.D. and 7 years of post med-school training that allows me to be board certified in 3 different medical specialties. However, I found the right job that allows me the freedom of time to make 3000 plus posts on a forum dedicated to SDSU. My wife thinks that part of my life is idiotic and told me that when I made a couple of those posts that got me in trouble last night. So, Stu calling me an idiot is no problem. Sometimes I am.

In some ways, I guess, I'm probably not a "real doctor" in Stu's mind. Its just my job. People who want their occupation to define them aren't the ones I emulate, even though my moniker on this site is jackmd. I chose that name early on when the numbers here were cozy (less than 30) as an identifier. Now, I think most everyone who is interested knows me as jackmd, to change it just isn't worth it nor do I feel its necessary.

In short, Stu can say what he wants about me. I, for one, am very comfortable with my persona here whether I'm considered an idiot, a jackass, brilliant or almost anything else.

Jacks99
11-01-2006, 12:51 PM
My wife thinks that part of my life is idiotic

I have to ditto that and have had to pull back a bit.

The hard part is that this board has grown so much, which is great. You used to be able to keep up on every post with not spending too much time. Now it is impossible without spending hours a day.

(as I hit post #800 :-?)

johnnyjackrabbit
11-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Wow. I just listened to the podcast. "Jackmd is not a real doctor"? Please. That little addendum to the end of "show" sounded like a cheap shot from a guy who is troubled by the fact that some people out there disagree with the way he does his job. Journalists have to deal with that nearly every day (and I speak from experience). Sounds like the frustration just sort of bubbles over. But I see he goes after message boards again in his 29 October column:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061029/COLUMNISTS0104/610290351/1135/SPORTS05

It would be ignorant to think that this isn't another jab at this forum and its contributors. By the way, I would trust jackmd with whatever ails me.

Rabbit3467
11-01-2006, 10:15 PM
I just have to say the I just noticed that jackmd is a "doctor of jacktitude" (under his screen name). Guess that means he's an MD and a DOJ, two times the doctor!

Jacks99
11-02-2006, 11:43 AM
How Ironic is it that Stu bashes message boards, while his paper uses them in different areas of their new paper format??

For example, in the sports section today they listed a comment from their Argus forums with someone that had a problem with recruiting Soph. in HS.

Now that is messed up!!

filbert
11-17-2006, 10:38 AM
I note (with limited commercial interruption) this nugget of wisdom from the type-type-typing of one Stu Whitney, in his artcle:

Augustana's exit kills NCC (http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061117/COLUMNISTS0104/611170333/1002/rss02)

Gross visited private schools that play non-scholarship football (Valparaiso and Drake), as well as I-AAA programs that don't sponsor football at all (Drake and Creighton).

Here, we learn that Drake both plays non-scholarship football AND doesn't sponsor football at all. Sigh.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
11-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Also included in that article by Stu is an enlightening look into how to goad a guy into kicking you square in the fellas the next time you see him. He makes Kelby Krabbenhoft come off as a mindless chimp with a lot of money who only failed to convince Augie to go D1 because they dangled a banana in front of his face while the vote was taking place. Kelby dreams big about the city of Sioux Falls, no argument here. But, I think that is a good thing. Isn't that exactly the type of person you want in South Dakota and Sioux Falls? When you have a state like SD that suffers from overall obscurity, you need someone who dreams big and wants to act on those dreams. Stu makes it sound like it's stupid to try to entice the Vikings to come to Sioux Falls or for Sioux Falls to talk about having a D1 school. Shows how backwards Stu is. He'd be happy if Sioux Falls Washington was still the only high school and he'd definitely be happier if the internet didn't happen where people have an opportunity to point out his inadequacies as a journalist.

Here's hoping Kelby (who is a big dude) gives Stu the ultimate dirty look the next time he sees him.

1bunnies
11-17-2006, 01:22 PM
I've said it before. Stu is for "Stupid". It if looks stupid, smells stupid, and sounds stupid, chances are pretty good that it is "STUPID".

NorCalJack
11-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Rather than aim for the I-AA target of 62, Oliver figured the Northern Sun's 24 maximum would make Augie more competitive.

I thought the maximum for I-AA was 63, not 62.

Oh Stu, you did it again!! ;D ;D ;D

He should post his articles here first so we can proofread them for him ;D ;D

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Rabbit74
11-20-2006, 08:58 AM
You may enjoy reading this letter to the editor of the Argus from the President of Augie.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061120/OPINION02/611200314/1053

EQguy
11-20-2006, 09:41 AM
Nice slap!!!!!!!!!!

A few more of these and stew will be lucky to be covering sports for the Miller Press.

jackmd
11-20-2006, 10:01 AM
I understand Stu was looking for jobs in Midland, MI this weekend. I believe he hails from somewhere out there. I almost feel sorry for the guy but he only has himself to blame. Lazy, selfish and dumb (the LSD syndrome) often gets you what you deserve. We experienced the lazy first hand with his lame "phone it in" coverage of the Jacks at home. Then we see the selfish with his comments about people being critical of his writing. Finally, the dumb, he projects his own dislike for Mr. Krabbenhoft onto the administration at Augie. I for one am glad Dr. Oliver called him out.

Don't let Stu of easy. Ask him to recognize and correct these areas of weakness. The bigger concern is that the problems at the Argus probably include those above Stu and they may suffer from "LSD syndrome", too.

P.S. I first read about LSD from a veteran who does some freelance writing for the P&D. I liked Mr. Kerr's take on it.

1bunnies
11-20-2006, 10:25 AM
He has not been able to recognize or correct any of it for the last 10 years or so. Why give him a chance now. Just can his arse.

SUPERBUNNY
11-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Hard to say what the deal is at The Argus Leader but to get a letter from a very high-profile figure such as Mr. Oliver has got to bring a negative light on the paper. They have to be concerned about Stu's musings.

Ol' Stubeedubeedoo just doesn't get it! He takes free shots at us through his mediums but goes about his jouranlism as if it is chatroom smack! I'm not suprised to hear he may be looking at jobs elsewhere, maybe he can give us an update on his search in the next podcast! A few more "unsmoothies" like that and they'll send him packing!

By the way, Terry is doing a great job in the short time he has been covering SDSU. His assesments have been fair and unbiased just as they should be! It's been a breath of fresh air!

SUPERBUNNY

1bunnies
11-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Stu can't possibly write long enough to ever catch up to Terry.

Haldersham
11-20-2006, 01:34 PM
I understand Stu was looking for jobs in Midland, MI this weekend. I believe he hails from somewhere out there. I almost feel sorry for the guy but he only has himself to blame. Lazy, selfish and dumb (the LSD syndrome) often gets you what you deserve. We experienced the lazy first hand with his lame "phone it in" coverage of the Jacks at home. Then we see the selfish with his comments about people being critical of his writing. Finally, the dumb, he projects his own dislike for Mr. Krabbenhoft onto the administration at Augie. I for one am glad Dr. Oliver called him out.

Don't let Stu of easy. Ask him to recognize and correct these areas of weakness. The bigger concern is that the problems at the Argus probably include those above Stu and they may suffer from "LSD syndrome", too.

P.S. I first read about LSD from a veteran who does some freelance writing for the P&D. I liked Mr. Kerr's take on it.

Amen, I too am happy that President Oliver took Stu to the woodshed in the editoral page of his employer's news paper. I made some comments a few weeks back that in effect said Stu is stuck in Sioux Falls, but was told off the board, that this is not the case. I was told he has had numerous opportunites within Gannett and he wanted to raise his family in Sioux Falls. If he in deed cares for his family, perhaps he will think about them before he dishes out his usual caustic remarks.

I too have been a little annoyed with Krabbenhoft's involvement in Sioux Falls, but of course if he were to work with the SDSU Foundation on one little tiny project, I would shut my mouth completly. ;)

NightHawk78
11-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Haldersham, I took the "Stu is stuck in Sioux Falls" comment as Stu-Smack because Solari left for "bigger and better things." I'm not surprised that he has had opportunities to leave SF as he can do quality reporting when he wants to (the award he got for investigating Janklow's pardons) and many papers like a sports columnist who'll regularly stir up the pot. More power to him (I guess :-?) if he wishes to stay in SF.

I'm glad that Pres. Oliver publicly rebuked Stu. Krabbenhoft may irritate many prominent SF people, but he's not an idiot and wants to break out of the "we'll accept mediocrity" attitude that is way too common in SD. Augie decided that it didn't want to sacrifice its football program or its finances by jumping to D-1 now, but the idea has been planted and Augie will likely reconsider things down the road.........

jackmd, Stu (like Solari) is an alum of Michigan State. Did you actually hear that Stu was looking for work out there or was that just good ol' Stu-Smack?

90Jackrabbit
11-21-2006, 07:50 AM
Is Eric Bursch covering stu's rear end in todays Argus.

Read it all here:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061121/SPORTS0201/611210314/1002/SPORTS

First off is Augustana.

I really thought the Vikings were going to make the Division I leap. I also thought it was a bad idea because of money issues.

Sometimes, it's good to see your predictions not turn out.

Augustana is a great institution, and there is nothing wrong with simply being the institution you are.

By staying in Division II and not traveling down the Division I path with its hugely increased budgets, Augustana helped itself in the long term.

There is no doubt that Division II athletics is changing, but the division isn't going to go away. Augustana will fit financially with the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference better than it did with big spenders such as the North Dakota schools in the old North Central Conference. The Vikings have the resources to become one of the NSIC power schools, among the league's best in every sport. That would not be possible in the NCC or any Division I league.

Up north in Brookings, the saga is different.

South Dakota State University made the leap to Division I in 2004. At the time, I thought it was somewhat foolhardy.

It made no sense to me to go from being a Division II power to a Division I also-ran.

But results don't lie.

The Jacks beat the University of Southern California in women's basketball Friday and almost beat North Dakota State for a Division I-AA football conference title on the road Saturday.

So far, it's obvious that SDSU is finding enough money for things like a full complement of football scholarships to build its Division I dreams.

It's too early to call the leap a total success, but the doom and gloomers - which included myself - were wrong.

jackrabit1
11-21-2006, 09:12 AM
How's that crow tasting, Eric? LOL

NightHawk78
11-28-2006, 11:46 AM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061128/COLUMNISTS0104/611280335/1002

They let this guy vote for the Heisman?!?!?!?

My Heisman Trophy ballot is due Dec. 6, and Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith would have to snatch an old lady's purse in broad daylight (and get caught) to lose the No. 1 spot.

Smith's Heisman hopes offer as much suspense as the University of South Dakota's Division I decision. Trust me: Both are making the leap.

The problem is the next two ballot spots, because there's a shortage of truly special players in college football this season.

Right now, I'm leaning toward Arkansas running back Darren McFadden and USC wideout Dwayne Jarrett, who had three touchdowns in Saturday's 44-24 rout of Notre Dame.
The last line of his column is just pathetic and ruins a decent column that featured CFL legend (and Hayti native) Garney Henley.

If they stumble this weekend, there's always Stefan Logan.

jackmd
11-28-2006, 11:53 AM
A 25yo DII running back from what has become a top-heavy middle of the road conference should not be mentioned in an article about the Heisman trophy. However, it is just harmless pandering.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
11-28-2006, 12:23 PM
I'm frankly disappointed with the article. Not because of what he wrote, but what he didn't write. Where's the cheap shot at some unsuspecting party? Not once in the entire article does he make a thinly veiled insult about someone in the local sports scene. The least he could have done was take some jab at SDSU's men's basketball team or something. He's slipping.

Jacks02
11-28-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm frankly disappointed with the article. Not because of what he wrote, but what he didn't write. Where's the cheap shot at some unsuspecting party? Not once in the entire article does he make a thinly veiled insult about someone in the local sports scene. The least he could have done was take some jab at SDSU's men's basketball team or something. He's slipping.

Man, you're pretty good at that sarcasm thing MJA ;D

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
11-28-2006, 01:26 PM
I've read a lot of Stu's articles. I've learned from the master.

EQguy
11-28-2006, 02:42 PM
I've read a lot of Stu's articles. I've learned from the master.

Don't give Stu that much credit. His attempts at good sarcasm are just that. Attempts.

juice
11-28-2006, 10:19 PM
I've read a lot of Stu's articles.

I'm with you, I have read a lot of Stu's articles as well. He often makes me mad, I often disagree with what he says, but I have to admit that I often buy the Argus just to read what he has to say. I don't know why, it normally pisses me off, but it's like I can't help but see what he has to say. I figured I was the only one like that, but from the looks of it there are a lot of us out there that read Stu's articles even though we know it will make us mad. Maybe thats why the Argus keeps him.

SF_Rabbit_Fan
11-29-2006, 10:12 AM
For the most part, I don't read Stu's articles anymore. I also don't subscribe to the Argus.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
11-29-2006, 11:11 AM
I usually only read his articles when someone on this site links to it. Then I have to read it so I can get my weekly "what a j@ck@ss" out of the way.

jackmd
11-29-2006, 11:20 AM
I usually only read his articles when someone on this site links to it. Then I have to read it so I can get my weekly "what a j@ck@ss" out of the way.

MJA, thats in additon to getting you daily WAJ out of the way by reading some of the posts on here, right? Granted, Stu trumps most of us.

da_coach
11-29-2006, 02:52 PM
I have never really liked Stu's coverage, but I tend to be pretty forgive and forget about things.

He's got opinions. I've got opinions. We've all got opinions.

Whenever I saw him on television talking about something, he always annoyed me.

But again, to each his own.

It's obvious he has some bias, and yes, it's showing more. The dawn of the message boards has drawn attention to this fact.

The fact that he made a statement about the message boards, do show that he is human.

I know some people also rip on Mick Garry, but I have dealt with him personally, and I found him to be a good reporter, and honestly a good guy doing his job the best he can.

Terry, is in my humble opinion, doing a fantastic job. I actually enjoy his writing more than I did Solari's.

So, there you go. Probably a waste of bandwith. But I'm willing to let Stu be Stu. Heck, I know he's Stu going in.

thebluehatman
11-29-2006, 09:57 PM
Well we get to read a story about SDSU by Stu tomorrow as he was at the basketball game, I wonder how many cheap shots he'll take.

1bunnies
11-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Well we get to read a story about SDSU by Stu tomorrow as he was at the basketball game, I wonder how many cheap shots he'll take.

That's to bad. Why didn't they send "Stupid" to Vermillion and let our beat writer cover his team.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
11-30-2006, 02:20 PM

He was probably looking for ammo to take a pot shot at you, tbhman. ;)

filbert
11-30-2006, 05:23 PM
Give Stu his due, I thought his writeup of the Utah State game was pretty straightforward. It even had quotes from some of the participants this time.

NightHawk78
11-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Give Stu his due, I thought his writeup of the Utah State game was pretty straightforward. It even had quotes from some of the participants this time.
I didn't find anything wrong with Stu's article either. I figured that after being spared from doing a USD feature, he would have heard it from Terry if he mailed it in last nite like he did with the Central Arkansas FB game (just before Terry started writing for the Argus). Perhaps he is saving his potshots for the Sunday column......

propar80
11-30-2006, 06:01 PM
Go to the Argus website and click on the latest Podcast. It's actually pretty good/fair, but you can totally tell the Terry V. knows so much more about the D-I process that it is kind of embarassing for Stu.
If Stu would've looked into what was going on up at STATE with the D-I move instead of trashing it every chance he got the past 3 years, he would probably be more well versed on the subject.
But you can tell that him and the rest of the media down here just aren't educated on the process.

BTownJack
12-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Go to the Argus website and click on the latest Podcast. It's actually pretty good/fair, but you can totally tell the Terry V. knows so much more about the D-I process that it is kind of embarassing for Stu.
If Stu would've looked into what was going on up at STATE with the D-I move instead of trashing it every chance he got the past 3 years, he would probably be more well versed on the subject.
But you can tell that him and the rest of the media down here just aren't educated on the process.

Here is the link to that podcast:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/misc?URL=/templates/ArticleMultiMediaPopup.pbs&Date=20061130&ArtNo=611 30025&Category=ONAIR01&ObjectClass=9&Params=Id=520 80

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
12-02-2006, 10:51 AM

Here is the link to that podcast:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/misc?URL=/templates/ArticleMultiMediaPopup.pbs&Date=20061130&ArtNo=611 30025&Category=ONAIR01&ObjectClass=9&Params=Id=520 80

Terry, as politely as he can, basically tells Stu he's an idiot if he thinks the Mid Con will welcome USD with open arms. Has Stu been on the planet for the past 3 years? We thought the Big Sky was all but a slam dunk and they made all overtures that they were expanding. We all know how that went - twice. The Mid Con has not stated they are currently NOT thinking of expanding beyond NDSU and SDSU. I hope those in the know at USD really don't think it's going to be that easy. I know Stu can't help it. Instant Mac n Cheese is a struggle if you don't spend the time to read the instructions and have no idea how to run a microwave, so it's not shocking that Stu simply thinks USD is just a nod of the hat away from the Mid Con and the Gateway (by the way, he almost talks about the Great West like USD would be doing the conference a favor if they went that way.)

SUPERBUNNY
12-02-2006, 11:58 AM
I listened to it and have to agree with the comments above! Terry has done the research and knows how this will work for USD. Stu obviously is jst going on a knee-jerk reaction.

I hope Stu keeps going down this path and talking up how USD is going to be a slam dunk for the Mid-Con. It will get the hopes of USD fans way up, only to be crushed when a conference other than the GWFC doesn't come begging for them to join (I don't think they will).

SUPERBUNNY

valleyrabbit
12-02-2006, 05:24 PM
The best part of the podcast is at the end when they discuss the future of USFs athletics and Terry refers the NAIA as Not Actully Interesting Athletics. It is good to see someone from the Argus realizes that sports in SD don't revolve around USF.

RabbitinTea
12-03-2006, 01:01 AM
I concur.

89rabbit
12-24-2006, 09:22 AM
All I can say is, Thank God that State has Terry as a beat writer.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061224/SPORTS0202/612240331/1002/SPORTS

filbert
12-24-2006, 09:53 AM
And so we add to the list of things that Stu doesn't have, a sense of meter or rhythm.

Rabbitden
12-24-2006, 09:54 AM
Got to be one of the STU-pidest, most foolish stabs at parody I have ever read. Hope your reading this Stu and next time your in Frost stop over to say hi so I can tell this to your face. You see, I do not believe in saying anything unless I have the balls to say it face-to-face.

This man needs to get off of his almighty horse he thinks he is on.

Note to Stu; Get a grasp on the history of our move and the gentle nuances that are going along with are transition before you just spout off insane uneducated retoric.

Now I truely believe you are simply just a hack and your pointless drivel is just a way to hide your lack of journalistic albility.

By the way, Merry Christmas, I hope you asked Santa for some new brain cells to take place of the ones youve have obviously burnt out through your younger years.

jackmd
12-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Stu,

Pretty funny stuff until the comment about "selling out our kids". That statement is bull**** and you know it.

You don't think progressively enough to deserve to live in a state with such fine, progressive institutions of higher learning. Explain to me how increased funding for facilities, programs, scholarships, research, etc.. is selling out our kids?

You can believe what you want about me, but one of the reasons I returned to SD is my support for higher education in this state. It starts with our largest university where my allegiance is strongest and ends at our liberal arts school where I am an assistant professor who volunteers my time on a daily basis to teach medicine to students who should aspire to be the best and compete with the best. I feel the same about our athletes.

Have fun, its the best you can do, but don't make assinine comments like that and not expect to be called out for what you are, a jackass. Stick to reporting the facts. SDSU is completing the transition to DI, USD is following. That benefits all people in South Dakota.

JackJD
12-24-2006, 12:10 PM
A couple of preliminaries....I only see Whitney's writings when I care to check a link provided on this message board. I rarely check the Smack section which means I rarely see a link to a Whitney writing. I've thought many of the critics of Whitney are reacting just the way he wants. There are times when my journalism background (SDSU 76) will cause me to defend a journalist or newspaper columnist with whom I disagree.

Okay, now comments on Whitney's lyrics:

The most recent Whitney column is sad. It is an example of writing one can expect in a middle-school newspaper. It is on par with the "story/opinion piece/attempt at humor" about the hottest media person on the Sioux Falls TV stations that ran in the Argus months ago (that was the last time I read the Argus...I do not have that kind of time to waste).

Whitney certainly has not cornered the market on bad writing. He's not the worst writer, either. He may be the weakest link at the Argus although one has to continually ask who is running that place?

Over the years I have read very poor writing similar to Whitney's. His problem is not so much one of execution: he has a deeper problem. I think it is something like a lack of humility in his writing. He apparently thinks he is so clever that his readers (there cannot be very many) are clamoring to get their morning newspaper to see his latest missives. His writing begs the reader to say "You are SO clever, Stu."

It is a rare writer who dares to do that. Most successful writers given the privilege of writing a column stating opinions, base their opinions on a backbone of strong, factual reporting (Whitney need not look far: Terry Woster takes actual facts, a true story and accurate memories of people, places and things, and then writes about them with a slight bit of opinion added).

As I read much of Whitney's lyrics (I skipped through the middle), I thought about the kind of reader who would think he was funny. I imagined two or three teen-aged kids who are Whitney's best friends in middle school, snickering in the manner of Beavis and Butthead.

There are times when the Argus has a column that is worth the price of the subscription and more. Unfortunately, the high points, at least in my mind, are eliminated by the occasional piece such as the one in today's Argus, the link provided by 89Rabbit.

Sad.

propar80
12-28-2006, 01:41 PM
Stu...Stu...Stu...Hearing him might be worse than reading him. ::)

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=SPORTS

Click on the "2006 year in review" podcast.

SF_Rabbit_Fan
12-28-2006, 03:15 PM
It seems odd to me that they run a story slamming The State of South Dakota and DI in the sports section on the same day as a front page story praising the president of the University who led the charge to DI. I guess that's why I'm not in journalism.

SUPERBUNNY
12-28-2006, 03:25 PM

One thing about Stu is definitely true! He sure does have a face for radio!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SUPERBUNNY

JBNJBQ
12-28-2006, 03:51 PM

One thing about Stu is definitely true! He sure does have a face for radio!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SUPERBUNNY

When you zoom in on him.........

http://www.argusleader.com/graphics/mug_STU_WHITNEY.jpg+++http://www.jonco48.com/blog/neuman.jpg+++http://www.poster.net/flach-tim/flach-tim-monkey-face-2410296.jpg

.......it gets easier to understand why he is, the way he is!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

SF_Rabbit_Fan
12-29-2006, 08:48 AM
I actually think Stu looks a lot like Joe Don Baker.

filbert
12-29-2006, 09:24 AM
I actually think Stu looks a lot like Joe Don Baker.

MITCHELL!!!!!

/MST3K fan mode

89rabbit
12-31-2006, 09:17 AM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061231/COLUMNISTS0104/612310312/1131/COLUMNISTS

SDSU women blaze basketball trail
NIT bid would lend credence to a fact: S.D. girls can play

By By Stu Whitney
Argus Leader
PUBLISHED: December 31, 2006

It would be foolish to look at the coming year in South Dakota sports and not consider the continued upheaval of our collegiate landscape.

With the University of South Dakota joining South Dakota State in its journey up the NCAA ladder, our state will jump from zero to two Division I programs in a span of less than five years.

There will be a lot of pain and nostalgia as this process churns on - including the swan song of a once-mighty North Central Conference.

But there also will be bursts of good news related to our new Division I world.

Much of it will involve SDSU's women's basketball team, which has shown the most ability to survive - and thrive - at the highest competitive level.

The Jackrabbits aren't yet eligible for the NCAA tournament, but don't be surprised to see them in the Women's National Invitational Tournament - possibly even drawing a home game.

This year's Jacks already have drawn national attention by knocking off major programs such as Southern California, Virginia, Kansas, Middle Tennessee State, Colorado and Alabama.

The NIT bid would offer a form of validation - or at least inspiration - for other SDSU and USD squads as they venture forth to challenge larger, better-funded opponents. . . . (read more)

Rabbitden
01-01-2007, 09:55 AM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061231/SPORTS/612310340/1002/SPORTS

Well, Stuart did write one nice thing...then he gets into his sports round-up for 2006 article. He just can not write a article without bashing SDSU and its fans...more so the individuals that log on this site. I think he will find that NDSU will not drop us like a hot potatoe when UND becomes full fledged just for the fact that they treated NDSU in the same manner that USD treated us.

Again Stu, you are becoming more of an idiot in every article you write. The truth is you do not have a clue and you are reaching for justifications. Stu, the MidCon has to have a 100% yea or nea to join the conference and in the next few years they are not going to get that. As far as Nielson backdoor meetings with Douple, start laying out the facts and why your at it why dont you research in to USDs' plan for for their transition. Nobody as of yet has seen that and by God you were one of the first that had to have ours, the public has the right to know...right. Quit stirring up the pot with your articles and start writing as a professional with meaning, facts and truths. Then and only then will you start receiving a little respect. You do not hold a candle to Terry, SDSU's new beat writer, and I think its got you feathers in a little secret uproar.

Again, quit being an idiot and start writing as you were taught if you want to be truley recognized as a journalist.

Sorry for going on here guys but Stu obviously reads this site. I was told to read the article and this man just does not have all the watts clicking in his bulb.

P.S.
Stu, come say hi at Frost, I will say it all to you face-to-face, that is the kind of guy I am. No hatred, just cant deal with your constant brain farts. [smiley=thumbdown.gif]

Haldersham
01-01-2007, 10:25 AM
The funny part about these 2006 news stories that appeared in Sunday's paper is the one that starts out about the big bold move made by USD in going D1, and all of sudden, its SDSU Fans bash time. Kick us in the teeth, but forget to refocus on Abbott and Nielsen and how they seem to lack a business plan. Not a word about how USD is going to make it through the transistion and its all about SDSU fans doubting that USD will be invited into the Mid Con. Talk about missing the point and writing off topic. Perhaps STU needs a refresher course in theme writing at at USDSU. ;D ;D ;D ;D

1stRowFANatic
01-01-2007, 10:41 AM
The funny part about these 2006 news stories that appeared in Sunday's paper is the one that starts out about the big bold move made by USD in going D1, and all of sudden, its SDSU Fans bash time. Kick us in the teeth, but forget to refocus on Abbott and Nielsen and how they seem to lack a business plan. Not a word about how USD is going to make it through the transistion and its all about SDSU fans doubting that USD will be invited into the Mid Con. Talk about missing the point and writing off topic. Perhaps STU needs a refresher course in theme writing at at USDSU. ;D ;D ;D ;D

That was my thought also, USD can't be too happy that the story that is supposed to be about their big move is 75% about SDSU.

valleyrabbit
02-02-2007, 12:51 AM
Stu shines again in the latest podcast. I am sure glad Terry was there to educate him like the rest of the Sioux Falls media.

goon
02-02-2007, 01:14 AM
Just for the fun of it, can we heckle Stu at the game as much if not more then we do NDSU, At least there is mutual respect from NDSU. Stu might as well show up wearing his I love U dot shirt cuz that is wear he would rather be im sure. But im sure this game will give him oppertunities to bash SDSU win or lose.

2002jack
02-03-2007, 12:43 AM
It's great too see you guys call Stu out. However, let's not forget that Mark Ovenden from KDLT has been a total hater for years. He disliked us before we went DI. It's unfortunate that the Fishbacks gave him money to do some in-game promos for them. I find him totally repulsive.

JimmyJack
02-03-2007, 11:35 AM
This week's Argus Sports Web was one of the worst I have heard. Very little information about the actual games betwen NDSU and SDSU. Lots of discussion of herpes, etc. I enjoy the humor on the podcast, but usually there is at least a little bit of substance in there.

By the way, I'd worry about Mark Ovenden hating SDSU if anybody, and I mean anybody watched KDLT. Their ratings are (and always have been) a very distant third in the Sioux Falls market. It's not the fault of the people who work there... they try their best. But their parent company has figured out the dirty little secret of television: You can make gobs of money in TV whether or not you bother investing in local news.

1stRowFANatic
02-03-2007, 03:26 PM
I don't get the Ovenden "hatin' on" SDSU. I watch KDLT almost exclusively and have for years, I think they have by far the best sports department of any station in SF and the news and weather are neck and neck with KSFY. I give Ovenden credit for always stating up front that he favored Augie at the point his son started playing for them, but I don't recall him putting down SDSU. Might be wrong, my memory is my own.

sdsurulz08
02-03-2007, 03:52 PM
This week's Argus Sports Web was one of the worst I have heard. Very little information about the actual games betwen NDSU and SDSU. Lots of discussion of herpes, etc. I enjoy the humor on the podcast, but usually there is at least a little bit of substance in there.

By the way, I'd worry about Mark Ovenden hating SDSU if anybody, and I mean anybody watched KDLT. Their ratings are (and always have been) a very distant third in the Sioux Falls market. It's not the fault of the people who work there... they try their best. But their parent company has figured out the dirty little secret of television: You can make gobs of money in TV whether or not you bother investing in local news.

i like watching kdlt for sports as they are the first to do the sports each night and do a good job getting out the high school bb scores and not just the ones around sf.

1bunnies
02-03-2007, 03:57 PM
I always thought Mark did a good job.

UWMandSDSU
02-03-2007, 07:37 PM

Ditto.

thebluehatman
02-03-2007, 10:15 PM
So Stu apparently didn't show up to press row until halftime...Atta boy Stu, he got there just in time to see his wife auctioned off ;D

NightHawk78
02-03-2007, 10:17 PM
So Stu apparently didn't show up to press row until halftime...Atta boy Stu, he got there just in time to see his wife auctioned off ;D
Stu showed up around tip-off and was at the east-end of the press row until halftime......

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
02-08-2007, 01:08 PM

Mark covered every media day for KDLT when I was playing and even interviewed me when I was senior. He was good friends with a couple of my uncles and may have done the interview as a nod to them, but I'll pretend he was really interested in what I had to say. Anyway, the 5 years I was in school he always did a nice video feature on the team. I always felt he was pro-SDSU until his son went to Augie. Hard to fault a guy for turning his favoritism to the team his son played for.

goon
02-08-2007, 01:57 PM

Mark covered every media day for KDLT when I was playing and even interviewed me when I was senior. He was good friends with a couple of my uncles and may have done the interview as a nod to them, but I'll pretend he was really interested in what I had to say. Anyway, the 5 years I was in school he always did a nice video feature on the team. I always felt he was pro-SDSU until his son went to Augie. Hard to fault a guy for turning his favoritism to the team his son played for.

Coming from Washington High school in SF, a few years ago, Mark and KDLT were never very impressive from high school sports coverage. Unless of course it was Roosevelt because his son went there. KELO always had strong ties to Washington so that was the break down in SF. Nobody seemed to care much for lincoln in sports considering the where always pretty bad until just recently. People in TV were not as bad though as STU was. STU the biggest O'gorman supporter you could find could always have a story about how great O'G was, even if they lost to WHS, he could still put down the other schools while hyping up O'G. High school students in SF don't usually follow the argus sports mainly because of the STU-pid articles. The other guys at the argus dont seem to awful to read about college sports except for STU. Terry on the other hand I would think has been the fresh of breath air that the argus sports has needed.

el_presidente
03-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Wow. I've never said anything bad about Stu in a post before. But after listening to his most recent podcast on the Argus Leader tonight I was disappointed. Towards the end of the podcast while talking about the state B boys tournament he said

"Believe it or not, and you wouldn't be able to tell from the media coverage, but there are some people who would rather see Louie Krogman play in a state championship game then watch the SDSU basketball team play a rinky dink tournament known as the womens NIT. I think I'll take Krogman in that one."

Link here: http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/misc?URL=/templates/ArticleMultiMediaPopup.pbs&Date=20070314&ArtNo=703 14022&Category=ONAIR02&ObjectClass=9&Params=Id=658 49

It is about 3/4 of the way in under state B's.

What a worthless and ignorant rant. Even a USD fan has more class then Stu.

valleyrabbit
03-15-2007, 01:16 AM
Wow. Not sure what SDSU's women's team has to do with the High School Boy's Basketball tournaments, but I guess Stu finds something. I am starting to think Stu feels threatened by Terry and he was indirectly taking a shot at Terry's coverage. It was similar to the comment he made a couple of weeks ago while interviewing AJ about SDSU's football team's lack of SD recruits. I hope Stu enjoys watching high school basketball instead of watching D-1 college basketball in March.

joeboo22
03-15-2007, 02:07 AM
I lost all faith in the argus and Stu after the news article on open enrolment he did last year. I know the people he interviewed and seemed like he wanted to stir more stuf up. He wrote about how some O'gorman players got tuition reduced for little janitor work and after interviewing a parent for over 2 hours he managed to put in 1 sentence that stated that there family no longer buys groceries at the town his son use to attend. He never went and interviewed any kids from the other high schools either just the ones the kids transfered too. I know this has little to do with SDSU but it was really poor journalism if you ask me. Terry seems to be alot more open minded and knows something about journalism.. Something Stu clearly doesn't.. you can tell he went to the U because he clearly didn't learn much other then to hate State.

JimmyJack
03-15-2007, 05:37 AM
I lost all faith in the argus and Stu after the news article on open enrolment he did last year. I know the people he interviewed and seemed like he wanted to stir more stuf up. He wrote about how some O'gorman players got tuition reduced for little janitor work and after interviewing a parent for over 2 hours he managed to put in 1 sentence that stated that there family no longer buys groceries at the town his son use to attend. He never went and interviewed any kids from the other high schools either just the ones the kids transfered too. I know this has little to do with SDSU but it was really poor journalism if you ask me. Terry seems to be alot more open minded and knows something about journalism.. Something Stu clearly doesn't.. you can tell he went to the U because he clearly didn't learn much other then to hate State.

Stu graduated from Michigan State.

2002jack
03-15-2007, 05:55 AM
Check out the "High School Championship" blog on the argus leader web site. Not alot of interest from anybody. Only a couple of comments. Stu is an A$$.

mitchellrabbit
03-15-2007, 06:18 AM
quit listening to him and quit reading his articles. it only keeps him going when he can p*ss people off.

Jack4Life
03-15-2007, 06:23 AM
quit listening to him and quit reading his articles. it only keeps him going when he can p*ss people off.

I agree, just tune out "Stu's world" since his main focus is OG and SF and I don't think he will ever change...

jackmd
03-15-2007, 08:02 AM
I can't really tell with Stu. I know he is an idiot but part of me wonders if he also has a personality disorder. I think he understands that the majority of people listening to him are SDSU fans and he actually enjoys pissing us off. Maybe he is just an idiot, I'm not sure and I don't plan on interacting in a face-to-face manner with him ever. That would be 5 minutes of my life I could never get back.

SF_Rabbit_Fan
03-15-2007, 08:27 AM
Who is this journalist Stu everyone keeps referring to? I thought the only journalist working at the Argus was named Terry? I know they have 5-6 opinion writers there, but Terry is the only one who seems to do any research and get facts straight.

mitchell2006
03-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Didn't Terry say the other day that his SDSU blog had 4,000 hits in one day after the WNIT announcement? I'm guessing SDSU's "rinky dink" tournament is garnering more interest than the boys state championship and USD's regional playoffs did. You can tell from his worthless podcasts that he is an immature person, and frankly my opinion of the argus leader was always negative because of him, that is until terry came in and has shown what a real journalist is. Stu should keep being sastisfied with this high school coverage because he acts like he is still in high school.

BTownJack
03-15-2007, 08:43 AM
I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Stu is simply jealous of the fact Terry gets so many front page articles in the sports section. I bet if you went and did the research, Terry has many more since he came to the Argus. Also, the obvious amount of time that Terry puts into his work has shined a negative light on the other writers in the sports department.

With that said, this is all pure speculation and just my opinion.

EQguy
03-15-2007, 08:58 AM
Moral of the story...For some people, it is easier to be backhanded than good!

SiouxFallsJack
03-15-2007, 12:25 PM
]I can't really tell with Stu. I know he is an idiot but part of me wonders if he also has a personality disorder. I think he understands that the majority of people listening to him are SDSU fans and he actually enjoys pissing us off. Maybe he is just an idiot, I'm not sure and I don't plan on interacting in a face-to-face manner with him ever. That would be 5 minutes of my life I could never get back.

You have patience, thats about 4 more minutes than I could tolerate.

JimmyJack
03-15-2007, 01:05 PM
I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that Stu has seen the apoplectic reactions he gets on this board and elsewhere whenever he tweaks SDSU even a little bit, and he probably enjoys twisting the knife a bit. The only way to get back at him: relax and let his little jabs go by like the hot air they are.

filbert
03-15-2007, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Stu is simply jealous of the fact Terry gets so many front page articles in the sports section. I bet if you went and did the research, Terry has many more since he came to the Argus. Also, the obvious amount of time that Terry puts into his work has shined a negative light on the other writers in the sports department.

With that said, this is all pure speculation and just my opinion.

I believe Terry works for Stu . . .

1stRowFANatic
03-15-2007, 02:45 PM
I believe you are right.

goon
03-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Fire Stu and give Terry the job, some one who deserves the job.
God stu is an idiot.

goon
03-15-2007, 06:57 PM
Where is there a connection that Stu found with watching the class B tourny then the SDSU WNIT game? He was reachin out there just so he could take a stab at STATE, but by doing so he made him self sound like a retard. Whose going to make the bigger news story? WNIT or state B tourny? Ill take the WNIT on that Stu. I dont think he understands the gravity of the situation here. If for some god aweful reason that U dot would make it to the WNIT sometime in their transition, i would bet Stu would be able to say it would be the biggest news story in sports history or something lame like that. Stu, your a real class act. By saying that, I mean you are not a class act. Just to clarify that for you.

EQguy
03-15-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that Stu has seen the apoplectic reactions he gets on this board and elsewhere whenever he tweaks SDSU even a little bit, and he probably enjoys twisting the knife a bit. The only way to get back at him: relax and let his little jabs go by like the hot air they are.

AMEN!!!!!!

Jacks#1Fan
03-15-2007, 10:09 PM
God stu is an idiot.

No way...then Stu might be our beat writer, and Terry the sports editor...I like Terry V right where he is at!!! But your last comment is certainly appropriate.

goon
03-15-2007, 10:22 PM
God stu is an idiot.

No way...then Stu might be our beat writer, and Terry the sports editor...I like Terry V right where he is at!!! But your last comment is certainly appropriate.

Terry can pull double duty, still be our beat writer, and clean up the biased and Stupid stuff that the argus does.

joeboo22
03-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Here is what I have to say if you look at the rapid city journal Duffy is the lead sportswriter.. Duffy went to STM and holds records at STM and yes he favors STM when he writes but he doesn't go out of the way to make fun of other schools, even if they deserve it. Thats something I see alot at the Argus, like open enrollment for example ya it happens but you don't need to make fun of a school for it. or making fun of sdsu because of how bad d-I has been for there mens program and stuff like that I see alot of at the argus that I don't our west. The journal covers SDSM&T and BHSU but doesn't play one over the other like the argus does with usd and sdsu.

2002jack
03-17-2007, 12:58 AM
More smack on this subject.

Unfortunetly most of the media talent in SD is subpar. Most of them do little research. I don't see the KWSN guys, or Stu at very many SDSU games. I doubt they listen to them on the radio either. They try to pass themselves off as experts, but realistically they aren't. They are average Joe's like you and me. They like to spew out opinions, without offering any facts.

Listen to the national media, and note how that the best ones, only offer opinions about teams/situations/sports that they understand and research. Padon My Interruption has "Stat Boy" to call them out. Stu has Mick to giggle along with his asinine comments.

The only SD journalist you should listen to is Terry V. He states an opinion, and then offers up stats/facts to back it up. Thank God, for Terry.

JimmyJack
03-17-2007, 12:50 PM

Unfortunetly most of the media talent in SD is subpar. Most of them do little research.

Um... most of the "media talent" in South Dakota graduated from SDSU. What is the basis for your conclusion? What research have you done to back up that assertion?

SD-STATE
03-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Quote from 2002jack on Today at 12:58am:

Unfortunetly most of the media talent in SD is subpar. Most of them do little research.

Um... most of the "media talent" in South Dakota graduated from SDSU. What is the basis for your conclusion? What research have you done to back up that assertion?

Maybe he reads the Collegian and put two and two together. :-?

2002jack
03-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Quote from 2002jack on Today at 12:58am:

Maybe he reads the Collegian and put two and two together. :-?

I am by no means trying to pass myself off as a journalist. I'm strictly posting my opinions. Opinions that are rarely based on facts.

Here's a statistic for you: 90% of statisitics are made up on the spot.

jackrabbit1979
03-17-2007, 03:19 PM

Unfortunetly most of the media talent in SD is subpar. Most of them do little research. I don't see the KWSN guys, or Stu at very many SDSU games. I doubt they listen to them on the radio either. They try to pass themselves off as experts, but realistically they aren't. They are average Joe's like you and me. They like to spew out opinions, without offering any facts.

Listen to the national media, and note how that the best ones, only offer opinions about teams/situations/sports that they understand and research. Padon My Interruption has "Stat Boy" to call them out. Stu has Mick to giggle along with his asinine comments.

The only SD journalist you should listen to is Terry V. He states an opinion, and then offers up stats/facts to back it up. Thank God, for Terry.

It may not be your intention, but if you are lumping "most of the media talent in SD" with the "KWSN guys and Stu" then that might be the source of your problem. Their are lots of great media folks in our state. Most of them intentionally never make themselves bigger than their story so they go largely unnoticed.

SD-STATE
03-17-2007, 03:22 PM
I'm not going to disagree with you, the sports section at the argus pre-Terry was sub-par, and I'm not making that up. The journalism department at SDSU might not appreciate your somewhat blanket statement though. Even the though the collegian had a little problem with plagarism and is generally fairly sloppy product at times. That's where that reference came from.

2002jack
03-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Fair enough. I retract my blanket statement about SD media. Many of them are very good journalists and I enjoy reading their articles.

JimmyJack
03-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Fair enough. I retract my blanket statement about SD media. Many of them are very good journalists and I enjoy reading their articles.

You're entitled to your opinion about Stu. There are no doubt a lot of SD journalists who wouldn't want to be lumped together with him.

senator07
03-18-2007, 02:49 AM
I hope Stu liked going to the State B tourney, b/c he missed a great game at SDSU. Screw him, he is not worthy to come to one of our games and personally I would not even let him in.

mitchellrabbit
03-18-2007, 06:29 AM
im not sure stu was at the B tourney. i saw him at the AA's

Jack4Life
03-18-2007, 07:06 AM
I hope Stu liked going to the State B tourney, b/c he missed a great game at SDSU. Screw him, he is not worthy to come to one of our games and personally I would not even let him in.

He must have been in SF for the AA since he wrote the OG story in the Argus this AM.

senator07
03-23-2007, 01:23 AM
Why was Stu at our Woman's BB game tonight? I hate him! Who let him in?

NightHawk78
03-23-2007, 05:39 AM
Why was Stu at our Woman's BB game tonight? I hate him! Who let him in?
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070323/COLUMNISTS0104/703230330/1002/SPORTS

Stu strikes again.......

89rabbit
03-23-2007, 06:23 AM
I thought it was ok to pretty good. :-/

EQguy
03-23-2007, 07:20 AM
I thought it was pretty good too. One thing nobody seems to mention is that there are men's teams that turn down the NIT also. It didn't happen this year but has happened in the past.

SUPERBUNNY
03-23-2007, 10:03 AM
Maybe the best thing he has ever written about SDSU! It wasn't a wholehearted endorsement but a good start. He's probably tired of Terry showing him up!

SUPERBUNNY

da_coach
03-23-2007, 11:14 AM
gotta give credit where it is due.

Hey, at least he came to the game...and wrote a good article.

Maybe he learned a couple of things last night...especially after his rude comments from a week ago.

thebluehatman
03-23-2007, 11:16 AM
My section was riding him hard the whole game. Even got a response outta him. "Today Stu, tomorrow Mick." To which he replied, "Keep dreaming."

NorCalJack
03-23-2007, 11:38 AM
I thought it was ok to pretty good. :-/

Yeah, I thought is was pretty good. I even like this quote:

SDSU's wild-eyed wall of students with yellow-and-blue body paint spelled out a simple message Thursday:

You Can't Stop Us!!

Heck, maybe they're right.

It even sounds like maybe he is willing to change his opinion about the move to D-1. This women's team is starting to convince the nay-sayers that maybe this D-1 thing is a good thing. ;)

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

SD-STATE
03-23-2007, 01:14 PM
It's gotta be a trap! :-/ :-/

I enjoyed the article, actually chuckled here and there. :)

Haldersham
03-23-2007, 01:24 PM
I don't know what got into Stu, but he did a very good job on this column. I do think he has been impressed all along with the women's BB program He seem to have paraphrased more than once "Other than the women's bb at SDSU, (insert insult here) about SDSU' move to D1.

I do think that when SDSU does not put a good product on the floor or field, we do deserve to be the subject of ridicule. Thank you Stu for the good column yesterday. :D and if SDSU stinks we can be assured there is no free right from you. Perhaps that needs to be applied on an equal basis for every team that he reports on, even USD. :D

SUPERBUNNY
03-23-2007, 04:23 PM
He may finally be seeing that this whole D-1 thing is catching the interest of the entire state and not just us hardcore rabbit fans. For him to have job security, he needs to start writing some positive things about SDSU becasue THEY ARE THERE.

What is he going to be writing about while USD is in the depths of transition and we are competng for conference and NCAA titles? Should be interesting! :-/ :-/ :-/

Keep it up Stu! Writing factual and positive things about SDSU will help you sell more papers and keep your job despite your obvious lask of writing skill! :-[ Gotta give you credit though, you do know how to hire which is a very admirable quality in a manager. Terry is outstanding. ;) ;) ;)

SUPERBUNNY

AZjack
03-23-2007, 09:40 PM
I thought Stu did a very nice job on the article. I was just reading the sports section of the Argus and didn't realize Stu had written the article till I saw his name on the bottom. You can usually smell a Stu column a mile away, but you have to give him credit for that piece of work, he actually complimented SDSU.

jackrabit1
03-23-2007, 10:12 PM
I smell a conspiracy... I think he hired a ghost-writer! ;D

thebluehatman
03-23-2007, 10:26 PM
I smell a conspiracy... I think he hired a ghost-writer! ;D
Stu was there I saw him use his hunt and peck method of typing during the game.

Jack4Life
03-24-2007, 06:32 AM
I thought Stu did a very nice job on the article. I was just reading the sports section of the Argus and didn't realize Stu had written the article till I saw his name on the bottom. You can usually smell a Stu column a mile away, but you have to give him credit for that piece of work, he actually complimented SDSU.

I have to agree with you. I did the same thing and read most of it thinking that Terry had written it. I was reading it on-line and when I finished, went to the top to check the byline, an lo and behold it was Stu. Just a minor dig at the WNIT, but a compliment to SDSU from Stu is a milestone. Thought it was a very good column.

thebluehatman
10-14-2007, 05:38 PM
Stu Finds His Calling.
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071014/COLUMNISTS0104/710140326/0/NEWS

Does roller derby really have a shot?
There were a few puzzled looks as people arrived at the Sioux Empire Fairgrounds for Saturday's home opener of the Sioux Falls Roller Dollz.

"Is this for the roller derby?" asked one woman, looking suspiciously at all the cars in the parking lot.

Yes, she was told. This is for the roller derby.
"But is there something else going on?" she persisted, and her incredulity made sense.

It's tough not to marvel at the appeal of these second-year Roller Dollz, who drew 1,300 fans for a rollicking bout against the Minnesota RollerGirls at the Expo Building - a lopsided affair that saw the home team fall 180-47.

Of course, as soon as Minnesota's Harmony Killerbruise started tossing bodies around, it was clear this nostalgia-heavy scene didn't hinge on winning or losing.

"As a guy, watching girls knock each other around on skates - that ain't half bad," said 34-year-old Travis Lacey of Sioux Falls, who attended with several friends. "There are so many minor-league sports and other events in Sioux Falls, and this is just something new."

And also something old. There's a retro feel to roller derby, which is easy to achieve in the Expo Building. With the archaic hockey scoreboard, fuzzy sound system and blue-collar fans pounding Pabst, this could have been 1974 in any mid-sized city in America.

The Dollz were mentored at first by the Minnesota team, a four-year-old club whose experience was evident during Saturday's drubbing. The Minneapolis crew came down to help train the Sioux Falls newcomers for their first bout last winter.

"The day their coach came down and ran drills, we had three girls quit," says Elizabeth. "Two of them were throwing up in the bathroom. But it helped us retain the girls who are serious about it. They'll come to practice and get the crap beat out of them, and keep coming back for more."

The oldest Roller Doll is 45, and the youngest 19. There are two grandmas, several stay-at-home moms, a few nurses, and plenty of college students.

He urged them to keep their cool during Saturday's bout - not like in a 107-78 road loss to the Omaha Roller Girls on Sept. 22, when a full-scale brawl broke out.
"It was insane," says Elizabeth Nelson of that bout, held in a cramped roller rink. "One of their girls punched out one of our fans. It was like, What? This girl was a bruiser, and she was ejected late in the bout. As she skated off, the fan was yelling at her, and she punched him several times."

NightHawk78
11-11-2007, 09:17 PM
I can't believe the Argus put Stu's column about the 11AA title game on the front cover...complete with Stu's column photo!

And it gets worse: Stu is now the acting Sports Editor...

ivandrago
11-11-2007, 09:57 PM
I can't believe the Argus put Stu's column about the 11AA title game on the front cover...complete with Stu's column photo!

And it gets worse: Stu is now the acting Sports Editor...

Stu is the acting sports editor, so he puts his picture on the front page...is anyone suprised?

NightHawk78
11-11-2007, 10:02 PM
I should have clarified: his column was on the front page of the main news section!

joeboo22
11-11-2007, 11:13 PM
I should have clarified: his column was on the front page of the main news section!

Ya I noticed that also.... Him and Mic Gary put a black eye on the whole paper.....

JimmyJack
11-12-2007, 03:29 PM
I can't believe we have an active, year-old thread about Stu. Now we're just feeding his ego. Stu's a friend of mine and he loves to play the bad guy.

NightHawk78
12-31-2007, 12:42 PM
I can't believe we have an active, year-old thread about Stu. Now we're just feeding his ego. Stu's a friend of mine and he loves to play the bad guy.

Stu's X-Mas list (with his dig on the Jackrabbit WBB team):
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071225/COLUMNISTS0104/712250317/1135/SPORTS05

Stu's 2008 "predictions":
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071230/COLUMNISTS0104/712300324/1135/SPORTS05

I have no problem feeding Stu's ego...it's just like WWE fans booing the heel of the moment...

I did have an issue with Stu's absence from the SDSU-NDSU football game...the Fargo paper sent three writers down for the game...the Argus only sent Terry...I know that the Sports Dept. was in a transition period (and Stu may have been vacationing/training), but a column by Stu would have made for interesting reading.

senator07
03-31-2008, 11:23 PM
Over the last two weeks it has been just disgusting to read what Stu has been writing. He has been talking s**t about the WNIT and SDSU women and he has had a hard on when it comes to the USD women and their dramatic lost in the finals of the DII championships. I can not believe the Argus lets him even write. The articles and topics he writes about are just ridiculous that I will not even read them anymore(which I barely read him anyway).

propar80
06-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Not Stu...but maybe Stu's brother??

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=1bf6e93a0c344a59aa6011922d043547&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=1bf6e93a0c344a59aa6011922d043547&plckPostId=Blog%3a1bf6e93a0c344a59aa6011922d043547 Post%3a306151a4-ae47-4766-a4df-91b9a15c06fb&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

Go Jacks!!

Rabbitlivinginverm
06-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Not Stu...but maybe Stu's brother??

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=1bf6e93a0c344a59aa6011922d043547&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=1bf6e93a0c344a59aa6011922d043547&plckPostId=Blog%3a1bf6e93a0c344a59aa6011922d043547 Post%3a306151a4-ae47-4766-a4df-91b9a15c06fb&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

Go Jacks!!

Can't believe he's proud of the Coyote Crazies??? On top of that, the article makes him laugh??? Yes, this is USD; where grabbing breasts, taunting families, throwing dead animals on the court is all done in the name of humor. By the way, SDSU men won 81-71 and the women won 80-71...don't think he mentions that.

propar80
06-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Can't believe he's proud of the Coyote Crazies??? On top of that, the article makes him laugh??? Yes, this is USD; where grabbing breasts, taunting families, throwing dead animals on the court is all done in the name of humor. By the way, SDSU men won 81-71 and the women won 80-71...don't think he mentions that.

I found that "funny" also!

I tried to post a comment in regards to his "sense of humor" and they still haven't posted it.:rolleyes:

Go Jacks!!

JackJD
06-11-2008, 11:29 AM
I had to chuckle about one point in Klinski's introduction of himself. He said he is the father of two twin boys. Since he's a professional writer, his writing is fair game:

Two twin boys? Redundant! Three (or more) twin boys would be interesting reading. A reference to one twin boy would suggest a story waiting to be told (reminds me of the famous Hemingway short story, complete in six-words: For sale: Baby shoes, never worn).

ADDED LATER: Now I'm really laughing. Either Klinski has been reading this thread or he's talked to someone who read the thread and told him about his error. As of late this afternoon, he revised his introduction and now states he is the father of twin boys. Well done, Mr. Klinski: I'm encouraged you have the ability to learn.

SUPERBUNNY
06-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Yep, the place just oozes class down there!

Kind of like the gray water coming out of the world's largest septic tank, The Dakota Dump.

Those were pretty heady days for the 'Yotes when they were able to rub shoulders with us.
My how things have changed.

SDSU was way ahead of them then and we are lapping them now.

The view and the smell never change unless you are the lead rabbit!

SUPERBUNNY

SUPERBUNNY
06-11-2008, 11:42 AM
I had to chuckle about one point in Klinski's introduction of himself. He said he is the father of two twin boys. Since he's a professional writer, his writing is fair game:

Two twin boys? Redundant! Three (or more) twin boys would be interesting reading. A reference to one twin boy would suggest a story waiting to be told (reminds me of the famous Hemingway short story, complete in six-words: For sale: Baby shoes, never worn).

I caught that too. Shouldn't be a suprise since he gots himself one of dem there USD diplomacies.

REP POINTS for JackJD

SUPERBUNNY

propar80
06-11-2008, 11:51 AM
I wonder how "funny" he'd find it if his twin boys where the ones doing the "breast grabbing" at the next State/U game in Brookings. Who knows, maybe he'd be proud...I don't know the guy.:rolleyes:

I for one hope his twin boys are retirement age and I'm dead when that game happens...but that's just me.;)

Go Jacks!!

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
06-11-2008, 11:52 AM
It really is amazing how classless that article is that he posted to. Grabby someone's breasts and laughing about it? That's a criminal offense in most sittings and the Argus is condoning it by posting it on their website. And this guy claims to be an editor. It doesn't matter if that's an article from the SDSU perspective ripping on USD. It's still tacky and unprofessional.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
06-11-2008, 11:59 AM
I wrote my own reply to the article. Doubt it will get published.

89rabbit
06-11-2008, 12:17 PM

This was his "favorite NCC memory" a pair of losses to SDSU and classless behavior? :rolleyes:

And they wonder why we are not in a hurry to renew this "rivalry".

SF_Rabbit_Fan
06-11-2008, 12:17 PM
"6:57 — More talk about the rabbit. It sounds like it will be thrown during the first quarter of the men's game."

This guy's a sports editor?????

89rabbit
06-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Those were pretty heady days for the 'Yotes when they were able to rub shoulders with us.

Rep points for you! :D

CatchEmAll
06-11-2008, 01:27 PM
That was a great day for me as Ticket Manager. Sell out crowd. Two Jacks victories. And I was eyeballing the USD student section when they launched the jackrabbit. Pretty easy to spot the offenders.

I'd have to say that this write up personifies the USD-SDSU "rivalry". I know the guy was a student when he wrote it, but why re-publish now without a little (LOT) of self editing.

Nidaros
06-11-2008, 02:07 PM
I believe Terry V is doing an article or a series on the death of the NCC sometime this week.
I suppose this why Klinski got involved with his stuff which I dont want to waste space by commenting.

At any rate Terry V was on KFGO Fargo Radio this morning on a program called News and Views, and hosted by talk show host and former voice of the Bison and Sioux both, Ed Schultz. Eddy has an ego so Terry had a tough time getting his questions in but he did a good job.
They talked about the great football games which never included SDSU or USD. Ed did mention the USD-SDSU rivalry once and that was to acknowledge its past existence in the NCC.

Good observation Jack JD. Twins usually are two in number, any exception is indeed news.

CatchEmAll
06-11-2008, 02:27 PM

Unless he's perusing this site and made a correction it actually reads
I have twin boys -- almost 2 years old

propar80
06-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Looks like they took his blog entry off the sports page.

Probably a good idea. Better idea...don't put stupid crap on there in the first place, especially if they're posted by "professional journalists".:rolleyes:
I'm amazed everyday by the common sense(or lack thereof) used by people who call themselves "professionals".

Go Jacks!!

propar80
06-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Looks like they took his blog entry off the sports page.

Probably a good idea. Better idea...don't put stupid crap on there in the first place, especially if they're posted by "professional journalists".:rolleyes:
I'm amazed everyday by the common sense(or lack thereof) used by people who call themselves "professionals".

Go Jacks!!

Nevermind...common sense stikes again...it's back up on the site.

Go Jacks!!

JackJD
06-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Unless he's perusing this site and made a correction it actually reads

I've added to my prior post, pointing out that his blog introduction was corrected some time this afternoon (it had read "two twin boys" and now reads "twin boys"). Caught him!

I thought about sending Klinski a copy of Strunk & White's Elements of Style but decided not to do that. Filbert once called me a curmudgeon for sending out that little gem to those who hold themselves out as writers.

Added a few minutes later: Just in case someone is thinking about it: yes, we all make errors in our writing and everyone can benefit from a good editor. Errors in message-board posts are perfectly understandable due to the nature of the medium and the spur (maybe, spurt) of the moment thought process used in posting. I was having a little fun with Klinski's error which, while in a blog, was intended to be a "permanent" part of the blog and not something he just jotted down with little preparation or thought. All in good fun, Mr. Klinski! Keep reading SDSUFans.com!

RowdyRabbit
06-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Nevermind...common sense stikes again...it's back up on the site.

Go Jacks!!

And your comment is gone...and mine never even made it on there.

EQguy
06-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Propar I read your statement earlier in the day. I just looked over the article and the grabbing breast line has been taken out also. Look like Mr. Klinski just learned the difference between the Argus and the Volante.

JackJD
06-11-2008, 09:19 PM
I had not read the full timeline in the Klinski story but I have followed today's posts on this thread. After some posters noted Klinski shortened his timeline, I checked the actual story as it appeared in the Volante (Klinski continues to have a link). The reference to the breast-grabbing states:

7:57 — An SDSU woman wearing a "Screw the U" T-shirt gets her breast grabbed by a Coyote Crazie as she walks by. She turns around with a smile and flips him off. USD fans cheer.

Since it is clear Klinski is following this thread, it seems likely that Klinski will now take off the link to the actual Volante story. So, here's (http://media.www.volanteonline.com/media/storage/paper468/news/2002/01/30/Sports/One-crazie.Night-172881.shtml) the link to the Volante story which appeared 1/30/02.

Keep in mind that in 2002, the guy was a college kid writing for his college paper. In fairness, it should be noted the editorial content of the SDSU Collegian a few years ago, was embarassing and at times highly offensive. They're college kids.

RowdyRabbit
06-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Either way, the blog/article only confirmed and strengthened my view of never playing USD again.

Nidaros
06-12-2008, 07:11 AM
What I dont understand is why these young folks think everything they do is kind of cute. What does that say for maturity? What about the athletes on the floor, are they not worthy of watching. After all its what they came for. I hope President Abbott takes a good look at this board and if he is sincere about working with SDSU, then he needs to clean up the act at athletic events and how they behave on out of town trips too. There is no excuse for this stuff and its not cute.

College kids do not have to act in an immature manner and a good number of them do not.

filbert
06-12-2008, 02:07 PM
What I dont understand is why these young folks think everything they do is kind of cute. What does that say for maturity? What about the athletes on the floor, are they not worthy of watching. After all its what they came for. I hope President Abbott takes a good look at this board and if he is sincere about working with SDSU, then he needs to clean up the act at athletic events and how they behave on out of town trips too. There is no excuse for this stuff and its not cute.

College kids do not have to act in an immature manner and a good number of them do not.
Well, college kids are, after all, college kids.

What's troubling is that most people, when they graduate from college and enter adult life, have the self-awareness to actually be embarrassed when they think back over the embarrassing things they did in college--unlike, apparently, certain assistant sports editors for Sioux Falls newspapers.

Part of the real problem is of course that a vocal segment of our population no longer considers the antics in the article in question as being embarrassing.

rational thought
06-16-2008, 11:20 AM
It really shows the intelligence of the USD writer....Football is played in a stadium....Basketball is played in an Arena....and times have not changed...if you can fog a mirror, you are immediately accepted into the "U"

jackrabit1
06-16-2008, 03:40 PM
So much for being the "Princeton of the Plains"! LOL

KUlawJack
06-18-2008, 11:27 PM
Anyone seen Stu's recent blog on the Argus? While he finally admitted he might have been wrong about some things, he still manages to get his shots in. Too bad he can't just finally give in and admit we have been successful in this transition. He also throws in there that he thinks USD will be a member of the Summit within five years and the rivalry will be renewed in full. I guess we will just see. udot is going to need our help on that one....

rabidrabbit
06-19-2008, 06:50 AM
Anyone seen Stu's recent blog on the Argus? While he finally admitted he might have been wrong about some things, he still manages to get his shots in. Too bad he can't just finally give in and admit we have been successful in this transition. He also throws in there that he thinks USD will be a member of the Summit within five years and the rivalry will be renewed in full. I guess we will just see. udot is going to need our help on that one....

Here's the link -

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=dbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=dbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b&plckPostId=Blog%3adbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b Post%3aa7403db6-7348-4dee-b0b5-add0ff5feca6&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

BTW, he's entitled to his opinions. In the case of the NCC, in it's heyday 70-92 it was a D-I league wrapped in a D-II cloak. The NCC sponsored more sports than most D-I leagues do. It was the top D-II league, and led the NCAA to regionalize playoffs, otherwise many years NCC members would have been the top 3 of 8 teams. SDSU had fabulous WBB, but with NDSU/UND they would end their season in the Regionals.

Regarding the Summit taking in the UxD's. I predict they will be members also, but it may be longer than 5 years. Centenary and SUU will be the drivers of how soon the Summit league turns to add the UxD's. I predict that we'll see UxD's as affiliate Swim members as early as 2009. And with toe-hold......

Nidaros
06-19-2008, 07:52 AM
I don't think there is any more to be said on the NCC. I am beginning to tire of this trip down memory lane. Its not comparable to where we are moving with the Summit and the MVC in football. Good competition in the past? Yes it was, but it was also following D2 rules so I dont think it was D1 in reality as to what some would attest. NCC could play D1 opponents close maybe, but never take on entire D1 conference and come out the champion. That I dont that think would happen even with the best Bison team with 45 scholarships in football.

I am reluctant to assess where and when UND and USD begin their rivalies again with NDSU AND SDSU and are admitted to the Summit. I believe there are a few more schools in transition or will start transition with USD and UND so that might make a difference in ease of entry.

I dont think Summit is the cupcake that Stu would like his readers to believe. After seeing a round robin of home games, the talent and coaching is much superior to what we saw in the NCC, men or woment bb, take your pick.

I would like to see UND on our football schedule first. They have had a very solid program, more so than USD.

KUlawJack
06-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Here's the link -

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=dbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=dbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b&plckPostId=Blog%3adbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b Post%3aa7403db6-7348-4dee-b0b5-add0ff5feca6&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

BTW, he's entitled to his opinions. In the case of the NCC, in it's heyday 70-92 it was a D-I league wrapped in a D-II cloak. The NCC sponsored more sports than most D-I leagues do. It was the top D-II league, and led the NCAA to regionalize playoffs, otherwise many years NCC members would have been the top 3 of 8 teams. SDSU had fabulous WBB, but with NDSU/UND they would end their season in the Regionals.

Regarding the Summit taking in the UxD's. I predict they will be members also, but it may be longer than 5 years. Centenary and SUU will be the drivers of how soon the Summit league turns to add the UxD's. I predict that we'll see UxD's as affiliate Swim members as early as 2009. And with toe-hold......

I understand that he is entitled to his opinion and I do realize that his blog is focused on the NCC and its ultimate demise, I was just acknowledging the fact that while he did recognize our success he still manages to take a shot. I enjoyed the NCC very much and recognize the history of the league. I don't deny that I am biased in what I write - the smack thread in particular - but since its smack I guess I can take an irrational aim at my least favorite sports writer.

West-River_Jack
06-19-2008, 09:33 PM
I agree that Stu likes to turn the crank of the Jackrabbit Nation and this item is really no exception. I also think that what he writes is true. The Summit League is not the Shangri-La that we in the Jackrabbit Nation want it to be. It's what Stu doesn't write that shows his shortsightedness as a journalist.

Stu doesn't write that South Dakota State University and North Dakota State University have advanced their athletic programs into an area where they belong. He doesn't write that all of their programs are probably still on the way up. Oh sure, there will be backsliding in some sports in some seasons but it is only now that recruiting can be carried out with the full promise of full Division I membership. Stu doesn't write that the Summit League's strength was increased by the addition of the State Universities. Stu doesn't write that South Dakota State University women's volleyball and women's basketball have already become the new standards by which universities like Oral Roberts and Oakland will measure themselves. And they and other members of the Summit League will do their best to measure up.

NDSU has its own successes in the Summit which will challenge the rest of the conference. Don't believe for a minute that the other members aren't trying to figure out how to compete with the Bison in men's basketball and in Track and Field for both the men and the women. The presence of the Bison and the Jackrabbits will help the conference grow toward that Shangri-La that Stu mentions. It won't happen overnight, but it is already starting.

Stu also fails to mention the entry of the Bison and the Jackrabbits into the Missouri Valley Football Conference. It's hard to overlook that one. Both universities have played in the top 25 teams of the division before becoming post-season eligible. They have been invited to join what is probably the best balanced and best over-all football conference in FCS. How did Stu not write about that?

It's okay to lament the end of the era of the NCC. But the truth is, the NCC ended because its strongest members outgrew it. In a realistic sense, other members recognized that they had not. There is no shame for either of these groups moving on in their best interests. Stu could have acknowledged that.

Stu doesn't write about an awful lot of intelligent things. Maybe Stu needs more column inches in the paper so that he has room to do so!

91jack
06-20-2008, 01:52 PM
I don't know if I'd call SDSU's volleyball team the "standard" of the league. I want to see how they rebound after losing most of their starters. There are lots of times that you have a class that carries your team and you struggle after they leave. I'm not saying our team will get last place but there are big holes to fill.
NDSU's men's basketball team could be in the same boat. After next year, they'll lose 4 of 5 starters. They have other talented players but probably not as talented as that class. They'll be solid but I don't know about teams being scared.
SDSU's women's basketball team should be in the top 2 teams for the next 5 years(or so). They don't have a class that carries them and they reload every year.
I look at NDSU and SDSU to be up there in track most years, too. I think SDSU's team is getting better and NDSU's team was dominate. If NDSU had more sports, both schools could get 1st and 2nd in the Commissioner's Cup most years.
Stu must just not like change. He likes the SD schools playing each other. When you played in the NCC, the travel was minimal. The talent is DI is better on a night in and night out basis. Do you want to see teams you know play against each other or do you want you teams to be challenged? Did SDSU indirectly break up the NCC? Probably! Was it the best move for SDSU? Yes! It might have even been a good move for Augie. In the NCC, they weren't a competitive as they will be in the Northern Sun(my opinion). I think USD is the real loser in the move.

SUPERBUNNY
06-20-2008, 03:24 PM
West-River Jack is right on the money about the assesment of where it is at and when it comes to Stu-pid.

The fact of the matter is that we are hearing far less from the naysayers and more and more about the great things happening at SDSU in Athletics and campus wide.

Stu-pid is never going to write an endorsement of SDSU with his precious column inches. It is funny that SDSU is a much less-frequent target for small-minded ramblings.

I'm just saying that near the end of transition we are in a great place and there is more upside potential.

Aren't we all looking forward to his columns about the struggles of transition at USD. If he has the courage to write about it. If he has any true journalistic ability he will show it over the next few years!

Final comment, thank you for putting Terry Vandrovec as our beat writer.

Off rant!

SUPERBUNNY

Nidaros
06-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Stupid does TO SDSU again with a blog. I live in the Brookings Region and resent his conclusions.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=dbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=dbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b&plckPostId=Blog%3adbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b Post%3ac9910381-436a-4de8-8cb8-a47f8a99b48f&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

boxerboy
06-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Stupid does TO SDSU again with a blog. I live in the Brookings Region and resent his conclusions.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=dbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=dbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b&plckPostId=Blog%3adbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b Post%3ac9910381-436a-4de8-8cb8-a47f8a99b48f&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

That guy's a jerk. I am sorry that I cheer for the Spartans with that jerk a grad there. You would think that a MSU grad would be a fan of another land grant U.

filbert
06-28-2008, 06:08 PM

I thought about it for a while, and decided that Stu's latest blog bleat was not worth further commentary.

Nidaros
06-28-2008, 07:23 PM
I regret that this guy can push my buttons and yes he should not be allowed to rent space, but his comments about the Summit are flat wrong, such as the Summit losing their qualification for the Big Dance. How will that happen? If Centenary has upgrade building plans, that does not sound like a back step to NAIA. Right now the Summit has 10 solid members and there apparently are no explansion plans. What does Stu know that we dont? Not much more. Also I dont see SUU going away either, especially with their new basketball coach. The Summit is not less than the NCC, it is greater. In all the glory days of the NCC, how many first round NBA choice came from the NCC? None, the Summit has George Hill going first round to the Spurs. The talent is much better overall in the Summit and better than the NCC ever thought of being.

Jacks-02
06-28-2008, 09:35 PM
You guys are way too uptight.

Take a deep breath. Go outside and take a walk. It will all be ok.

filbert
06-28-2008, 09:52 PM

I spent some time tonight on the back deck, taking pictures of a beautiful sunset.

Life is good. And we're a full, voting, NCAA-basketball-tournament-money-receiving Division I school. So life is very, very good indeed.

Nidaros
06-29-2008, 11:37 AM

I followed your advice. I walked four miles, and is Stu still a pain in the arse? YES.

NorCalJack
06-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Some of you should just follow my advice. I did not read what he wrote. I'm having a great morning by the way. If someone makes you that upset, just stop reading his articles or blog entries. You will thank me for it.

EQguy
06-29-2008, 11:49 AM
For those that are too lazy to look this stuff up or don't want to give Stu's blog the hits so he keeps typing this stuff, this is Stu's offending quote:

If anyone thinks the Coyotes view this as a permanent solution to their Division I conference challenge, they're either delusional or vindictive. Many of them reside in the greater Brookings region.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: USD and UND will be in the Summit League in less than five years, assuming that fragile federation holds onto its automatic basketball bids and is still a viable entity at that time.

It really didn't register with me as all that offensive. Anyone that is making fun of the new "conference" is likely a fan of SDSU. We used this same group of schools and called it an alliance they have taken what we built a step further and are calling it a conference. One thing the administration at USD has done well is sell the situation to their fan base and media as a big deal whether it is or not.

As far as his comments about the Summit. I don't know why people in this area believe a conference needs a big rivalry to survive. Does it do Oral Roberts any good that xDSU's are playing UxD's every year? I don't see it. I think this is still NCC hangover and is likely to stick for a while as Augie is playing in the less than scintillating NSIC and media people still consider SDSU's and USD's opponents also less than scintillating.

Jack4Life
06-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Some of you should just follow my advice. I did not read what he wrote. I'm having a great morning by the way. If someone makes you that upset, just stop reading his articles or blog entries. You will thank me for it.

I agree. I just don't read him, nor will I read his blog. Don't want him to get the hit count any higher than he deserves. Till I quit reading him, he ticked me off nearly every time. I know he likes doing that, but what good is it?

thebluehatman
08-01-2008, 01:15 AM
Stuart Speaks Again
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=dbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=dbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b&plckPostId=Blog%3adbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b Post%3ac944d836-7bf2-490f-97b4-a923a33ffdfc&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

It's funny how when you bring up the Jackrabbits playing former rivals USD or Augustana, the school's supporters always say, "Oh, we've moved on to bigger things," or "We're not going damage our precious RPI by playing schools that are non-counters."

Well, clearly the Jacks are not only playing non-counters, they're playing non-factors. And given their recent performance on the court, those might be the only sure wins on the entire slate.

Looking at the Vikings' schedule, I don't see a lot of lucrative dates, unless you count their exhibition trip to Madison, Wis., to take on the Badgers. So why didn't the Jacks try to schedule them -- or perhaps Northern State? Maybe the embarrassment factor of a possible loss played a role, or (in Augie's case) punishment for perceived slights during SDSU's Division I move.

But at least some things are becoming clearer.
Now that we know it's possible for SDSU to "lower itself" to play in-state former rivals, we'll just simplify it and assume they don't want to. Maybe someday they'll be in a position to level with South Dakotans about their true motivation in this scheduling saga.

State_fan
08-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Stuart Speaks Again
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=dbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=dbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b&plckPostId=Blog%3adbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b Post%3ac944d836-7bf2-490f-97b4-a923a33ffdfc&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

Read some of it, and all it says is blah blah blah....I'm a dirty tramp. Same old crap, never changes.

EQguy
08-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Face it. Its nothing new, people on this board were saying pretty much the same thing in the basketball schedule thread.

Stu is an opportunist and will jump on something if given the opportunity. Nothing new, nothing really interesting.

jackrabbit1979
08-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Stuart Speaks Again

Can't say I really disagree with Stu this time, he pretty much hit the nail on the head...our home OOC schedule leaves much to be desired.

JimmyJack
08-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Can't say I really disagree with Stu this time, he pretty much hit the nail on the head...our home OOC schedule leaves much to be desired.

I don't disagree. But here's some context from Terry V.:

"Besides, it's not like the Jacks are the only DI team playing non-counters. NDSU hosted 11 such games over the previous three seasons compared to two at SDSU. And something like this may not happen again as phasing out non-counter contests is part of the Summit Plan."

Nidaros
08-01-2008, 09:19 AM
I deleted my previous message and maybe will not comment further on Mr. Whitney. I just wish he would apply the fairness doctrine towards USD, when it come to stirring the pot. Schedules are hard to put together, and except for the conference game, a contract is involved and thats what makes it very hard for coaches and AD who have the responsiblity for it's creation.

filbert
08-01-2008, 09:31 AM
I deleted my previous message and maybe will not comment further on Mr. Whitney. I just wish he would apply the fairness doctrine towards USD, when it come to stirring the pot. Schedules are hard to put together, and except for the conference game, a contract is involved and thats what makes it very hard for coaches and AD who have the responsiblity for ira creation.
I strongly suspect that one of the reasons that Stu picks on SDSU vs. USD is because he just doesn't get the same volume and intensity of reaction when he rags on Udot.

SUPERBUNNY
08-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Stu just continues to find ways to display the fact that he writes at an "NAIA talent level". How he got the job down there is beyond me. I'm not just talking about his articles bashing SDSU. If you read his columns, it is very rare that you get a nugget that makes you think that he is talented. There's a lot of time there that I can never get back.

It's going to be interesting to see what path he takes as USD hits the bottom in their transition process. Will he actually find some respect for what SDSU has done or will right even more petty articles that you would expect from a high schooler? My guess is he will regress.

Every time he starts typing he makes TV look better and better.

SUPERBUNNY

JimmyJack
08-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Stu just continues to find ways to display the fact that he writes at an "NAIA talent level". How he got the job down there is beyond me. I'm not just talking about his articles bashing SDSU. If you read his columns, it is very rare that you get a nugget that makes you think that he is talented. There's a lot of time there that I can never get back.

It's going to be interesting to see what path he takes as USD hits the bottom in their transition process. Will he actually find some respect for what SDSU has done or will right even more petty articles that you would expect from a high schooler? My guess is he will regress.

Every time he starts typing he makes TV look better and better.

SUPERBUNNY

I can't agree with that. Stu is an award-winning journalist, and one of the reasons he got a job at the Argus is he published a book about Michigan State football before he finished college. Ask anybody there and they'll tell you Stu is one of the most talented people around. You probably haven't read his news projects. Every now and then, the Argus puts him on a long-term news project and the results win national awards. The guy can report and write.

As a columnist/blogger, Stu is about stirring the pot. That's what he does. The best way to get his goat is to avoid getting all worked up about what he writes. Sure, I'm frequently annoyed about what he writes. That just proves he's good at stirring the pot. And I'm not going to take it personally. How many people are going to read that little blog post, anyway?

Remember that the perception of leaning defends also on the stance of the observer. We've got our own biases that color our perceptions of Stu's work.

JACKGUYII
08-01-2008, 10:27 AM
I can't totally disagree with Stu on this article. While I agree with SDSU's stance on not playing USD at the present time I do think we could have been more dilegent on getting Northern, Augie or a more prominent opponent out of the NSIC if we have to play DII. I think it tells us a little about our confidence level in Men's Basketball..

22jack
08-01-2008, 10:27 AM
I just wish Stu would write about the real reason SDSU does not want to play USD again. Most people on this board know what happened in the locker room the last time we were down there.

SUPERBUNNY
08-01-2008, 11:07 AM
The guy can report and write.

Jimmyjack,

I will try and pay better attention in the future to Stu's news articles to look for the talent of which you speak. It must be there or he wouldn't have been given the opportunity to be the Sports Editor at the Argus. So, I may be a little harsh on him given my SDSU bias.

What he writes in a column or a blog is going to be more opinionated stuff. What I see is that he lets that creep into his articles regarding SDSU and USD. That is bush league in my opinion.

What I appreciate in an article is when I am given the facts about the topic without unnecesary slant put in there just for the sake of getting a jab in.

Terry does a fantastic job of reporting the story and doing it without "rose colored" glasses. He gives us the good and the bad without becoming a part of the story. When you compare the two, to me it isn't even close the level of talent between the two.

We may disagree on this subject so let's just agree on the most important thing. GO JACKS!

SUPERBUNNY

jackrabbit1979
08-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Jimmyjack,

I will try and pay better attention in the future to Stu's news articles to look for the talent of which you speak. It must be there or he wouldn't have been given the opportunity to be the Sports Editor at the Argus. So, I may be a little harsh on him given my SDSU bias.

What he writes in a column or a blog is going to be more opinionated stuff. What I see is that he lets that creep into his articles regarding SDSU and USD. That is bush league in my opinion.

What I appreciate in an article is when I am given the facts about the topic without unnecesary slant put in there just for the sake of getting a jab in.

Terry does a fantastic job of reporting the story and doing it without "rose colored" glasses. He gives us the good and the bad without becoming a part of the story. When you compare the two, to me it isn't even close the level of talent between the two.

We may disagree on this subject so let's just agree on the most important thing. GO JACKS!

SUPERBUNNY

I'm pretty sure there was an aritcle in the Argus about our Men's schedule that didn't have the "unecesary slant" that you talk about. It was written by Terry as that is his job as the beat writer. Stu's columns and articles aren't there to report the facts, they are there to get a rise out of people or offer opinions. I would say that is his job as a columnist/non-beat writer, so it's really not bush league that he does that.

Like I said, I'm no fan of Stu Whitney, but this column/article was right on track. Our MBB OOC home schedule sucks this year, and with the away OOC schedule the way it is, our chance of getting return games next year doesn't look to good either. I hope we can have better luck getting home OOC games next year, but if not I would hope we look at scheduling Northern, Augie, Winona, or USD. Those games are much more attractive to this fan than Upper Iowa or Mayville. I think JackGuy might have been on track when he mentioned the schedule might have something to do with our confidence in beating some of the upper level D2 teams in the area.

JimmyJack
08-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Jimmyjack,

SUPERBUNNY

Don't get me wrong. We agree on one thing: Stu often annoys me, too. That's what he's trying to do. In this case, it's an opinion piece, not a factual "news" article. Remember also that sports writers, moreso than news reporters, are given more leeway to inject opinion or analysis into even their "factual" reporting.

SiouxFallsJack
08-01-2008, 01:47 PM
I strongly suspect that one of the reasons that Stu picks on SDSU vs. USD is because he just doesn't get the same volume and intensity of reaction when he rags on Udot.

True, USD doesn't have the fan support to get upset about it.

JackJD
08-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Heed Jimmy Jack's words on Stu being a pot-stirrer.

Stu's words are proof positive that he is a regular reader of this message board. There is no other source for his comments which he bends to needle SDSU supporters.

So, Stu: Have a nice day and keep reading this message board. :)

boxerboy
08-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Stu reminds me of guys like Jay Mariotti of the Chicago Sun Times. Most of his writing is negative and he is disliked by most everyone but his column gets more hits online than anyone else there. So I guess the more we complain and still read his articles online he wins. What I will try to do is only read Terry V. column why even bother with Stu

FargoBison
08-02-2008, 06:45 PM
I don't disagree. But here's some context from Terry V.:

"Besides, it's not like the Jacks are the only DI team playing non-counters. NDSU hosted 11 such games over the previous three seasons compared to two at SDSU. And something like this may not happen again as phasing out non-counter contests is part of the Summit Plan."

Yep, we have had a lot of them and next year if we are still playing them and UND and/or USD are not on the schedule I won't be a happy camper. I doubt we'll play either in football for the time being but for other sports I don't see the point in not playing them.

It does sound like our administration is coming to that conclusion as well.

Coyote_Fan
08-03-2008, 01:36 AM
I just wish Stu would write about the real reason SDSU does not want to play USD again. Most people on this board know what happened in the locker room the last time we were down there.

Wasn't that about 5 years ago now. I think it's time to move on now. I am sure the people that did that crime are in their 5th year of a 40 year sentence.

JimmyJack
08-03-2008, 07:56 AM
Wasn't that about 5 years ago now. I think it's time to move on now. I am sure the people that did that crime are in their 5th year of a 40 year sentence.

Actually, it was so disgusting and appalling that it might take 20 years to forget. SDSU won't be visiting the DakotaDump(R) for quite some time. I would hope there would be many good USD fans who would be as appalled and disgusted as any of us are. Yet I don't hear anyone disowning that grotesque act.

For that to happen, it required a remarkable combination of seriously flawed event management and lax security along with some seriously depraved students.

JackJD
08-03-2008, 09:54 AM
The event referred to in the last two posts: is this fact or urban legend? Coyote Fan states the person(s) responsible are in the fifth year or a 40 year sentence. Was someone convicted of a crime and actually sentenced to 40 years. If so, that's a matter of public record and should be verifiable.

Or, was Coyote Fan merely speaking figuratively as in 'give it a break, it happened five years ago.'

If some such event occurred, I must have been living in a cave at the time because I do not recall hearing about it contemporaneously with the event. I only heard about it in the past few years by people referring to such an event on this message board.

Can somebody give me a real close date as to when this event supposedly happened. If there was a prosecution, there's a public record identifying the person charged. There will be a file in the county where the prosecution took place (should be Clay County). I'll do some checking.

2002jack
08-03-2008, 09:55 AM
Before we ever play in the DakotaDome again, I would hope our administration requires USD to hire an outside firm to provide security.

And not the Vermillion P.D., or a drunken fraternity.

A professional security firm. Somebody to watch the locker rooms and somebody to protect our players.

Nidaros
08-03-2008, 09:57 AM
The event referred to in the last two posts: is this fact or urban legend? Coyote Fan states the person(s) responsible are in the fifth year or a 40 year sentence. Was someone convicted of a crime and actually sentenced to 40 years. If so, that's a matter of public record and should be verifiable.

Or, was Coyote Fan merely speaking figuratively as in 'give it a break, it happened five years ago.'

If some such event occurred, I must have been living in a cave at the time because I do not recall hearing about it contemporaneously with the event. I only heard about it in the past few years by people referring to such an event on this message board.

Can somebody give me a real close date as to when this event supposedly happened. If there was a prosecution, there's a public record identifying the person charged. There will be a file in the county where the prosecution took place (should be Clay County). I'll do some checking.

I tend to believe if this event did occur, that the administration at USD thought it was a good rivalry prank, and then they moved on to something to else. Our USD crazies are soo funny and good for the rivalry SO THE ADMIN THOUGHT and now they can't understand why SDSU can't take a joke. Younger brothers and sisters often behave in this manner. I know I am the youngest of nine. I often was disappointed why I could not take part in older age events, and often it was because I had not earned the respect of my older brothers and sisters and had not reached maturity. This family analogy is a stretch but it somewhat applies to USD and their march to the Summit League.

JimmyJack
08-03-2008, 10:19 AM

It was confirmed to me by people in the SDSU Athletic Department. It happened the last (final?) time we played at the Dome.

BTownJack
08-03-2008, 10:48 AM

I can also confirm that it happened. No doubt about it.

West-River_Jack
08-03-2008, 01:10 PM
. . . but was there any kind of investigation with the intent of disciplinary action against the perpetrator(s) or was it just pooh-poohed by the USD athletic department and the USD administration. In my opinion, neglect by the administration to force discipline on the perpetrator(s) is an outright sanction by the administration for the action. It is really not much different than if the president went in and performed the act himself.

JackJD
08-03-2008, 01:46 PM
I was at that game and just don't recall hearing about such an incident until much later when I read about it on this message board.

Based on a couple comments I have now received, it appears there was no criminal prosecution. Coyote Fan's comments must have been exaggerated to make a point that it was, in his opinion, time to move away from the incident.

I know there'll be a day when the two schools meet in football and men's and women's basketball. That day should be a long way into the future when there are advantages to playing USD as determined by those in control of scheduling for SDSU. I continue to feel that if/when the games resume, SDSU and USD should remain in different conferences as is the case of Iowa and Iowa State.

We're having some real serious thread drift again! Stu struck again, stirred the pot and now we're talking about USD. Let's find something relevant to talk about!

Nidaros
08-03-2008, 02:51 PM
I bought a print copy of Sunday's Argus. Stu wrote short articles about the South Dakotans that are connected to the Olympics such as USD grad Derek Miles in pole vaulting, a grand son of Milt Sorensen who is part of Team USA in baseball and the believe it or not a farmer from Selby SD who is on the Olympic Air pistol team. His name is Brian Beaman, who attended SDSU for awhile. No doubt Coach Stig knows Beaman real well. I thought Stu did a good job and I am not a big Olympic follower but its very interesting to know about various South Dakota people who have connections to the Olympics. Made good Sunday reading, and I believe thats what newspapers are all about.

JimmyJack
08-03-2008, 04:59 PM
or was it just pooh-poohed by the USD athletic department and the USD administration.

Interesting choice of words given the nature of the offense.:)

SDSUJack3031
08-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Can someone PM me and let me know what happened?

1stRowFANatic
08-04-2008, 06:27 AM
Can someone PM me and let me know what happened?
And me. I think I know, but after the last couple of pages I'm not so sure.

sfsd
08-04-2008, 04:11 PM
I can't agree with that. Stu is an award-winning journalist, and one of the reasons he got a job at the Argus is he published a book about Michigan State football before he finished college. Ask anybody there and they'll tell you Stu is one of the most talented people around. You probably haven't read his news projects. Every now and then, the Argus puts him on a long-term news project and the results win national awards. The guy can report and write.

This is entirely true. I highly suggest people read his book (which he wrote with the late Bob Kourtakis) before crassly dissing Stu's abilities. Remember: It was published around 1990 and dissected the growing steroid problem then. It is comprehensive and intense.

http://www.amazon.com/Behind-Green-Curtain-Sacrifice-Prominence/dp/0940279339/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217884060&sr=8-1

SUPERBUNNY
08-04-2008, 04:28 PM
This is entirely true. I highly suggest people read his book (which he wrote with the late Bob Kourtakis) before crassly dissing Stu's abilities. Remember: It was published around 1990 and dissected the growing steroid problem then. It is comprehensive and intense.

http://www.amazon.com/Behind-Green-Curtain-Sacrifice-Prominence/dp/0940279339/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217884060&sr=8-1

Stu? That you? Just kidding.

Listen, I haven't changed my opinion but will take a harder look at some of the other pieces he writes and have a more open mind. As far as buying the book, there's a better chance of me being a season ticket holder at the world's largest septic tank in Vermillion. Not going to happen!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY

filbert
08-04-2008, 04:31 PM
"If we didn't have Stu it would be necessary to invent him."

sfsd
08-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Stu? That you? Just kidding.

Listen, I haven't changed my opinion but will take a harder look at some of the other pieces he writes and have a more open mind. As far as buying the book, there's a better chance of me being a season ticket holder at the world's largest septic tank in Vermillion. Not going to happen!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY

Think of it this way: Spending $3 on amazon.com for an excellent book (chock full of Tony Mandarich stuff) is still better and cheaper than a gallon of gas!

JimmyJack
08-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Stu's book was really good.

The clear distinction here is between Stu the reporter and Stu the opinion columnist. He's as good a reporter as any that I have met or worked with. He's a smart guy and an outstanding writer. If you met him, you'd probably find that he's also very fun to talk to.

On the other hand, most of the people who dislike Stu are annoyed by his opinion pieces. Those are two entirely different kinds of journalism. I think the reactions he gets to his opinion pieces are just further evidence of his ability: He wants to provoke reactions, and he does.

goon
08-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Pm me also if you could. I have not really heard of anything happening except for on here and would like to know what people are talking about. Thanks