Kingsbury County towns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stu Strikes Again!

What professionals. It sounds like they put a couple middle schoolers on the mic and let them do their thing. Why didn't they mention anything about their beloved USD and thier message board.....oh wait, nobody posts or visits that board.

Comment

I'm sure Stu and Mick would have talked USD-Augie and then more USD (ugh....a USD love fest...insert gagging scene here) for the entire podcast if they weren't told to introduce Terry as the new SDSU beat writer. I suppose we should actually thank Stu for legitimizing this message board as THE place to go to discuss Jackrabbit athletics. After all, virtually no one posts on the SDSU portion of the Argus forum, especially after the idiotic attempt to improve their website.

Comment

Now I just feel sorry for Stu. For a guy who writes articles with a clear intention of stirring the pot, it's amazing how fragile his ego is. To take the time to make reference to this fan site is truly laughable and a little sad. Talk about losing any level of credibility. "Those big meanies on the SDSU fan site are talking bad about me again." Essentially, he just went out of his way to prove the point of all the negative things written about him.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Typical "Ivory Tower" mentality that's all too prevalent in the media today. I can rip everyone all I want, but God help the person that rips me!

Apparently that attitude is pretty prevalent at the Arduous Liar, or so it seems.
          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

It's funny to me how this whole thing plays out!

Isn't the goal of a newspaper to sell papers? Isn't the only reason to buy a paper would be to get information?

Assuming a yes answer to both of those questions, it is very obvious that Stu doesn't get it. The relationship between SDSU Athletics and the Argus Leader should be a win-win deal for both parties. It probably will be once we start playing in the Mid-Conference and continue to have more successes. Stu seems to be burning his bridge and may have to repair it at some point. Will he get the chance or get the axe? It will be interesting!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I will say as someone engaged in the selling of products that it is bad form to insult your customers, and like it or not the folks at the Argus should understand that folks on this board are or could be their customers, no matter what they think of us.

If we as customers provide feedback, (be it positive or negative, justified, or unwarranted) the best thing they could do is listen to that feedback and decide if it is warranted and perhaps adjust the way they do business if it makes sense to do so. When people provide feedback they generally are still interested in your product and doing business. They are in most cases offering up suggestions on how you might better meet their needs.

Calling your customers names is never a winning strategy and although Stu and Mick work on the product end of their companies business they displayed poor judgment in my estimation. The risk of alienating 700 (or more as I am sure many people read this board that have never taken the time to register) customers/potential customers for their company far outweigh any personal benefit that they might have received from their attempt to "get back" at certain members of our forum for criticizing their performance.

Go State!  

Comment

I've thought about it overnight, and I feel the need to apologize to Stu . . .

Mr. Whitney:

I'm sorry that I live in Kansas City, where my expectations of a sports columnist have been set by the likes of Joe Posnanski, Blair Kerkhoff, and Jason Whitlock. Where my expectations of a college reporter are set by the writing of Mechelle Voepel, Jason King (beat writer for the U. of Kansas), and Mike DeArmond (beat writer for Mizzou), among others.

I'm sorry that I've allowed my standards and expectations of what to expect from a newspaper's sports section to have risen to such heights. A number of those Kansas City Star writers have won national sportswriting awards, all produce amazingly good work, and I now realize it's unfair to have those same expectations of you.

After your completely justified (and, might I say, classy and well-argued) complaint you made on your recent podcast regarding the utterly unwarranted criticism of you which I and others have made on the SDSUFans.com Forum, I feel remorse for thinking that you should be considered by the same criteria as the writers and columnists of the Kansas City Star (or, for that matter, the Fargo Forum--it's my fervent hope that Terry Vandrovec will bring some much-needed professionalism back to the Argus' sports newsroom.).

I'm sorry that despite your best efforts, as SDSU becomes established in Division I, a wider and larger audience of college sports fans across the country may become exposed to your unique perspective, your extraordinary brand of humor and your inimitable writing skill. (Of course, the recent degradation of the Argus' web site lessens the chance that this will happen--congratulations on that!)

I am man enough to admit when I am wrong, and I was wrong.

Please accept my humble apologies.

(And yes, I'm aware you won a 2003 award for investigative reporting - - for stories on Janklow's pardons, not for sports. Perhaps this was a sign that your true talents lie elsewhere than sports columns and reporting?)
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I going to take a different approach to speculating on the behaviour of Stu Whitney.

I know from my own experience that if you are in the wrong organization or wrong job and you dont seem to have the courage to look elsewhere for opportunities, you tend to become very frustrated and can be a very hard person to get along with. This was how it was with me in my first job out of the SDSU and military service. I was not an extrovert nor was I a goal driven salesperson. The company I went to work for was a growing company. The extroverts who dressed nice and said nice things to management were often promoted over me in my 15 year career.

I had other skills, but since this company was growing I stood fast for nearly 15 years and it was a type of company that followed the Colonel Patterson of NCR management philosphy that firing was not a good idea, and that eventually the individual would find his own nitch so just keep moving him around until he finds that nitch or leaves by the side door. So I hung around for nearly 15 years  and should have left after year 3 or less. I did not want to quit and they did not have a good reason to fire me.  I as an individual look back at this career and wish I had gotten courage to move on sooner than I did in 1985. I do regret also how I treated people around me and from time to time I got into big trouble by being curt with customers. I could be very nasty and critical and most of the time it was the job progress of my career that was driving this behaviour.

Now as I understand the career of Stu Whitney, he has been at the Argus Leader since 1992. Thats at least about the same length of time I spent in the wrong job. Stu is probably seeing the same thing I saw in those 15 years. He has seen many cub reporters  come and go on to better things. Stu has the title of assistant sports editor and I don't see that as a real promotion from reporter.

Chris Solari came and went during Stu's career and what others have said on this board, Chris got a promotion within the Gannett organization.
                  Chris made his talents known by covering SDSU and he did it successfully. Could that be a reason to be upset with SDSU and specifically, the message board? Could be!!!

I suspect the people higher up in the Gannett organization have a pretty good idea of what Stu can do and apparently its not all that rosey and like myself Stu hasnt given them any good reason to be canned. Maybe he should, but thats not our choice to make.

BTW jackmd is a very good doctor and very knowledgeable. I have asked medical questions of him off the board through IM's and he knows a great deal. He like everyone else is a very passionate Jack and as he said he has to hold himself and everyone around him to high standards.
                  I am sorry this is so offensive to Stu Whitney.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                    I've thought about it overnight, and I feel the need to apologize to Stu . . .

Mr. Whitney:

I'm sorry that I live in Kansas City, where my expectations of a sports columnist have been set by the likes of Joe Posnanski, Blair Kerkhoff, and Jason Whitlock.  Where my expectations of a college reporter are set by the writing of Mechelle Voepel, Jason King (beat writer for the U. of Kansas), and Mike DeArmond (beat writer for Mizzou), among others.

I'm sorry that I've allowed my standards and expectations of what to expect from a newspaper's sports section to have risen to such heights.  A number of those Kansas City Star writers have won national sportswriting awards, all produce amazingly good work, and I now realize it's unfair to have those same expectations of you.

After your completely justified (and, might I say, classy and well-argued) complaint you made on your recent podcast regarding the utterly unwarranted criticism of you which I and others have made on the SDSUFans.com Forum, I feel remorse for thinking that you should be considered by the same criteria as the writers and columnists of the Kansas City Star (or, for that matter, the Fargo Forum--it's my fervent hope that Terry Vandrovec will bring some much-needed professionalism back to the Argus' sports newsroom.).

I'm sorry that despite your best efforts, as SDSU becomes established in Division I, a wider and larger audience of college sports fans across the country may become exposed to your unique perspective, your extraordinary brand of humor and your inimitable writing skill.  (Of course, the recent degradation of the Argus' web site lessens the chance that this will happen--congratulations on that!)

I am man enough to admit when I am wrong, and I was wrong.

Please accept my humble apologies.

(And yes, I'm aware you won a 2003 award for investigative reporting - - for stories on Janklow's pardons, not for sports.  Perhaps this was a sign that your true talents lie elsewhere than sports columns and reporting?)
                    ROFLMAO!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh, that's right! It's not funny!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

The SDSUFans.com Forum:

One-stop career counseling for stalled-out small-metro newspaper assistant editors!

Heh.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Stu, perhaps you can fill in for David Kranz and write his political column the next time he goes on vacation. Since you won that award covering Janklow's pardons, you might be able to eventually take over as the Argus' politcal guru whenver Kranz decides to retire.........

Comment

This attitude comes from the top down. This is the way the Argus culture reacts anytime it's criticized. Whitney's taken his cues from editorial leadership. How incredibly childish.

Comment

No matter what, this reaction was completely unprofessional. He should be disciplined by the Argus. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It's similar to someone in the media rattling a professional athlete. Then, if that athlete lashes out at the reporter he makes an a$$ out of himself, he's expected to be above the criticism and it's part of being a professional athlete. Well, guess what Stu? You're expected to be above the criticism and not supersensitive to your criticism. I know it was on a podcast, but I guarantee the Argus tracks how many people listen. I'd be curious to find out how many more Stu-haters were created by his lack of self-control. State fan or not, no one was impressed by his comments. I guess he made his own bed on this one.

Comment

When you want your latest fix on SDSU news turn to here first, you'll hear it long before you see it in the Crapus Leader. ;D Or grab a copy of the Collegian or Register, usually you'll see stuff in there way before the Crapus Leader prints it.

Comment

It is so simple to take care of Stu. Tell everyone you know that subscribes to the Argus to cancel their subscriptions. When they are asked why, be honest and let them know your feelings about Stu. If Stu costs the Argus many subscription cancellations, they will take action. I dropped mine several months ago. Pass the word and get him out.

Comment

Working...
                                X