Coyote Coach comments on Jackrabbits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coyote Coach comments on Jackrabbits

Chad Lavin was the guest at the QB club meeting here in Yankton Wednesday. According to a long time SDSU supporter the topic of DI and SDSU's success was brought up. Lavin made a statement to the effect that he didn't believe SDSU could win the NCC much less compete for a national championship if we were still DII. Apparently he said this with a straight face as if he truly believes it. An ardent SDSU supporter apparently took some offense (rightfully so) and I guess some discourse then took place.

Its certainly disrespectful for Coach Lavin to say something like that, however, its not unexpected. I wasn't present at the meeting but had I been it might have gotten even more interesting. I don't know what else to say about Coach Lavin. Good luck I guess.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Coyote Coach comments on Jackrabbits

Chad Lavin is a complete idiot and his attitude and demeanor is why it's hard to convince me why the Jack should lend any support to the Coyote athletic program. Granted there are some good teams in the NCC as usual ie. UND,Augie and USD that would challenge the Jacks, however his jealousy for what Aaron has done never ceases to amaze me. I would love to see the Jacks play the Coyotes and wipe that smirk off his face. I assume the Jacks struggle with UMD allowed him to be so bold!

Comment

I live in Vermillion and have had quite a few conversations with Mr. Lavin.. He never has had any respect for the Jacks. He also told me that he didn't think that Natalie Carda would be able to play at SDSU. Now he has her here. Wonder if she ever knew what he actually thought, or if he was just sore at her not coming here in the first place.

Comment

It's obvious to me that Chad has never gotten over not being recruited more by SDSU. Chad grew up in Clear Lake as a Jacks fan, but he was passed over when we signed Steve Brown from Hamlin instead. He has had a burr in his saddle ever since. I don't think there was anything done when Carda transferred to usd2, but I do believe there was some rulebreaking when Koupal transferred. They got Koupal, and the Jacks won a National Championship. Loser's whine and continue to do so. Grow up and get over it Chad.

Comment

The Yotes, and Augie wouldnt really challenge the Jack women. We turned it up a notch in the last five minutes against UMD and that is all we needed after a hard fought road game the day before.

The talent level we have is ahead of both Augie and USD, height , athletic and pure basketball savey.

Chad is going to get aq big wake-up when they hit the transition if he doesnt open his eyes and go out after a different type of athlete. Remember he is not going to get the cast-a-ways from other DI teams anymore.

I think his coments, depending how they were presented might be his way of putting out a challenge.
          I do not believe anyone over here is going to jump at his lack of judgement.

I would like to know a little more about the SDSU supporter/Lavin exchange after his comment?

Comment

I think Lavin knows what he is getting into having coached at Wyoming which is why I don't think he will last the transition.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
              It's obvious to me that Chad has never gotten over not being recruited more by SDSU. Chad grew up in Clear Lake as a Jacks fan, but he  was passed over when we signed Steve Brown from Hamlin instead. He has had a burr in his saddle ever since. I don't think there was anything done when Carda transferred to usd2, but I do believe there was some rulebreaking when Koupal transferred. They got Koupal, and the Jacks won a National Championship. Loser's whine and continue to do so. Grow up and get over it Chad.
              Hmmmmmmmm, this sounds very plausible and I have wondered why he had so little reguard for SDSU, having grown up only 35 miles from Brookings. There are few more like Lavin out there and I suspect in every case it goes back to their days of being recruited and being passed over. I don't know how good Lavin was as a BB player, but we know all about Steve Brown. The record book tells it all. We made an enemy but we made a good recruiting choice.

Comment

Where is Steve Brown today?

Comment

Perhaps Coach Lavin should call some of the coaches in the SEC to talk with them about what they think of SDSU's team this year. After all, they've seen SDSU play. Or maybe the coaches at Minnesota or Middle Tennessee would share with him their impressions of the Jackrabbits.

Fortunately, respect is earned, not given. SDSU is earning the respect of Division I coaches around the country. The USD community can bluster all they want. If it makes them feel better to make these sorts of silly comparisons, more power to them. In the real world, it really doesn't matter.

(An aside, to consider a comment 'disrespectful' you have to respect the source. If the USD community wants respect as they move into D-I, they know how they can earn it.)

(Here's somewhere for them to start, just in case they're as fuzzy on the concept of 'respect' as they seem to be. It's philosophy. Those Liberal Artists on the river should eat it up.)
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden
                    I would like to know a little more about the SDSU supporter/Lavin exchange after his comment?
                    I hesitate to comment on the specifics as I don't know that the individual would want it discussed on this forum. I doubt he would mind but you never know. If I had been there to give the exact details it would be different but I heard if from a well-respected source who said it was a pretty despicable display by Lavin. Again, as I said, poor taste but not unexpected.

I am not sure where Steve Brown is right now. Johnnie was still coaching in Clark last I had heard (I think).
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                      [quote author=Rabbitden link=1169357867/0#4 date=1169374119]
                      I hesitate to comment on the specifics as I don't know that the individual would want it discussed on this forum.  I doubt he would mind but you never know.  If I had been there to give the exact details it would be different but I heard if from a well-respected source who said it was a pretty despicable display by Lavin.  Again, as I said, poor taste but not unexpected.

I  am not sure where Steve Brown is right now.  Johnnie was still coaching in Clark last I had heard (I think).[/quote]

Not sure where Steve is either. John is an assistant boys coach at Clark with 2 sons playing for the Comets. I think their brother Roger is in the Kansas City area somewhere.

Comment

If Chad made the comments...shame on him and the U. I would have to agree that he needs to speak with some of the coaches around the country to see what they have to say?

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
                          [quote author=jackmd link=1169357867/0#9 date=1169399417][quote author=Rabbitden link=1169357867/0#4 date=1169374119]
                          I hesitate to comment on the specifics as I don't know that the individual would want it discussed on this forum.  I doubt he would mind but you never know.  If I had been there to give the exact details it would be different but I heard if from a well-respected source who said it was a pretty despicable display by Lavin.  Again, as I said, poor taste but not unexpected.

I  am not sure where Steve Brown is right now.  Johnnie was still coaching in Clark last I had heard (I think).[/quote]

Not sure where Steve is either. John is an assistant boys coach at Clark with 2 sons playing for the Comets. I think their brother Roger is in the Kansas City area somewhere.[/quote]

The freshman son has turned into a pretty good player for the Comets. He has had an outstanding year.

Comment

I spoke with a one of the parents of Lavin's players today and she says it went down a little different. Someone asked about DI and Lavin said he didn't like his experience at DI (Wyoming I think) and that SDSU had a better team when they won the DII title then they do now. He took it a step further by saying he didn't think the current SDSU team would compete with the national title team or for an NCC title this year. Thats how she understood it to be. Now, she wasnt there either. Her daughter plays for Lavin and she likes him but she did say that his opinions are not always popular. I guess I would agree with that.

Comment

*From the Moderator

Since it doesn't seem that we have a first hand account of what was said, I feel more comfortable with this thread in the smack section.

Comment

Working...
                              X