RB from Miami, FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RB from Miami, FL

What can anyone tell me about Demetrice Wiggins, the RB from Miami, FL that signed with us? ???

Re: RB from Miami, FL

I havent heard much more than whats written on the SDSU Football web page. I noticed he is only, 5-10 175 lbs. He must be fast, I wonder how we found out about him, He was also all district in Florida 6A.

Comment

I do know that Karl Ballard, linebacker coach is a good friend of his high school coach in Miami and that is how we connected on him as a recruit.  This is what another assistant told me at the golf outing in Volga.

Thats about all I know other than the numbers posted at the SDSU webpage.  This connection is a good reason why we dont need anymore South Dakota Natives for assistant coaches.

We need people like Karl who know people all over the country. We wont win with walkons from Elkton, Arlington and Summit and places like that. In the past it worked, but we now need to broaden our recruiting beyond Wisconsin.

Comment

It's all about conections to get some of these kids who may have otherwise slipped through the net, On the basketball side Coach Nagy has been a master at it, landing some recruits from Illinois, Iowa, and the Chicago area, that we never would have had a chance at. The more assistants we can get from places like Florida (for example), or Texas, or the South in general, the more it will help us recruit the skill positions (QB, DB, WR, RB) that that we need to upgrade with the D1 move

Comment

I agree with you both.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
            It's all about conections to get some of these kids who may have otherwise slipped through the net, On the basketball side Coach Nagy has been a master at it, landing some recruits from Illinois, Iowa, and the Chicago area, that we never would have had a chance at. The more assistants we can get from places like Florida (for example), or Texas, or the South in general, the more it will help us recruit the skill positions (QB, DB, WR, RB) that that we need to upgrade with the D1 move
            Often the assistant has done most of the leg work including the initial contact. From what I been told, the Assist and Head coach make a home visit and then the head guy makes the final call provided, this recruit has passed the NCAA compliance requirements. A number of the recruits fall through the cracks at this stage. Kathy Heylens, the compliance officer at SDSU knows her stuff and usually wont budge on questionable areas. The coaches have joked about this.
            I know Nagy was kind of uncomfortable when Morgenthaler got the job at Manakto, not only a good friend but also had done a lot of the leg work on the recruiting. This is why Troy Larson, the former Morningside player, assistant and head coach has filled a void, as they have found some very good talent in eastern Iowa. Even after UI, UNI and ISU are done there still are some good athletes out there.

Comment

I have to address a previous comment about recruiting outside of SD. South Dakota has produced a number of great athletes in recent history, and we have been lucky to have some of them at State. Should our focus really move to other states when our best basketball players are Austin Hanson, Chris Stoebner, and Matt Jones (all South Dakotans). The Mueller kid at USD could play in the Mid-Continent as well.

Just my thoughts

Comment

It really does not matter where they are from, it matters if they can compete and contribute. The problem with South Dakota is that there are now less than 200 high schools not sure what the exact total is but many less than there were 40 years ago.

The other problem SDSU has had with the local athletes is that is that there are 3 other D2 schools competing for the same good athlete such as Hanson and Stoebner.

Being D1AA, we should have edge, but you got all those naysayers out there that say SDSU will not make it at the next level.

Rather than beg for the quality athletes from South Dakota, we have no choice but to go elsewhere.

If the SD athletes have the talent , I sure they will get a look by the coaches at SDSU.
                Another problem withh SD kids is that coaches and fans have different evaluations of their talents. Fans often, because of local star, feel the kid should be playing at SDSU. Coaches can often tell you why Mr. SD is not playing at SDSU. Sometimes these kids dont want to come to SDSU, but rather go to Northern and Augie. All SDSU can say is good luck, and have a good career.

I want SDSU to find the best athletes they can and with football particularily they will not find 63 quality players in a population of roughly 700,000. They need to expand their recruiting territory to find quality.

Does Wyoming a D1A team and less population have all Wyoming kids on their roster? Heck no and they found out a long time ago, that they had to go beyond their state boarders to find athletes.

As far as Mueller in the Mid Cont, I dont think so mainly because of his ego. Talk about a spoiled kid.

I understand he did have a scrimmage at SDSU before committing to USD and he did not do very well. His parents are big USD people so Josh is were they want him and he belongs to a patient Boots. A good deal for everyone.

Comment

I don't think are recruiting strategy will change that much. We will continue to go after the South Dakota Kids that can play at this level. The level of competition is going up so the calibre of athlete we will recruit will have to be better. Let's face it South Dakota also loses some really good players to other states that have DI programs. Let's hope we can curb that trend now that they have an alternative. I think with a Super Star like a Mike Miller we may never have a chance as they are choosing a conference as much as a school. My fear is that people will choose to tune out because their is not a full roster of South Dakota which would be a shame. Our situation will not be any different than other states with smaller populations that have to go out and find athletes from other regions in order to competitive. There are some juniors in the state right now who could play at a D1 level who are not even considering SDSU for one reason or another or because of the uncertainty. I think their is still a neucleus of good talent in the region ie. Minnesota,Wisconsin,Iowa and Nebraska where we can find good players. However, we will also have to do what the big schools like Nebraska,Iowa and Minnesota do and that is go out and find the best athletes in other states like California,New Jersey Fla etc. South Dakota kids will have to come to grips with the fact that if they want to play instate at SDSU they will have to get a little faster,jump higher and get stronger and that means going to excellaration programs,camps and just plain old work hard. A lot of the elite are already doing this. I also see like Nebraska where we have a quality walk-on program that will allow kids to reshirt and get stronger and earn a scholarship.

Comment

I dont disagree that South Dakota has lost athletes to D1 schools.  Maybe the fact that SDSU going D1AA will eventually put a stop to that, but never completely stopped.  I also agree that going into the transistion period of 5 years for football, SDSU will probably not go to far and wide from what we have been doing.  I suspect the walkon program for football will still be there, but we will have more players on full scholarship. It would be interesting to see exactly how some of the Big Sky Schools allocate their 63 scholarships. I understand nearly all the 63 are full rides, and few are split like we do at D2.

We just have to be wait and see how this works out, but if our current coaches have connections like the recruiting the kid from Miami, then we should go for it.

I dont believe this kid is ready to go. Considering hisis size he needs time to develope in the weight room some and learn the systems. I think kid from Miami, Demetrie, will most likely red shirt.

Comment

This seems like one of the craziest threads we have had on this board. There is no doubt that we need to look at other States when we are recruiting. There is no doubt that we should also try and get the best that SD has to offer. There is no doubt that SDSU fans will support our teams even if they are not "full" of South Dakotans. We need to find the best athletes we can, sometimes they will be South Dakotans (and we will have a good shot at them) sometimes they will be from other states. In the end I support the name on the front of the Jersey (SDSU) not the back (player's name). OK our Jersey's don't generally have names on the back but you know what I mean.

Go South Dakota, South Daktoa State!

Comment

Working...
                      X