The football staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The football staff

SDSUFAN had a post on the basketball string about the future of SDSU football. While he feels the basketball program is headed in the right direction, he fears the FB program has shown little or no progress (SDSUFAN- I apologize if I am putting words in your mouth, but I agree with your post on the bb string). What do you guys hear about the stability of the coaching staff. Will Stig be back next year if the Jacks don't go 7-4 or better? Should he be back? Who would be the leadingn candidates to replace him? Babich made it easy for NDSU by leaving before they had to fire him. I just don't think the Jacks have shown any improvement in the past five years. Does anyone have any thoughts or insights?

Re: The football staff

I totaly agree. I think Stig. needs to take the Jacks out of the land of mediocrity. I think middle of the pack in the NCC has been acceptable and the bar has to be raised. There is no reason why SDSU should not be more of a powerhouse. I really believe we need some fresh blood with a headcoach and assistant coaches that have a history of recruiting D1 players and relationships with high school coaches that have routinely produced D1 calibre talent. I'm not sure Coach Stig. has that capacity.

Comment

I've wondered the same thing, especially after seeing the canidates NDSU had for their head coach search. Was Stig defensive cordinator before becoming head coach? Maybe they could move him back to an assistant and bring in a new head coach.

Comment

Most head coaches would prefer to bring in their own people who they have trust and chemistry with as their longevity will be based on how well the assistant coaches are teaching, communicating and winning. I would love to have Coach Stig. prove me wrong, but I just think we are literally in a much bigger league and we need someone who has been in D1 and has a clear understanding of where we need to go and fast. Football has the most potential to generate dollars and we need to put together a winning program asap, particulary with teams coming in that are not going to be as well known as the NCC teams we have been playing for the last 100 years. Football will pay for the overhead of all the other sports.

Comment

I agree with you all. I have expressed my opinion on this matter before. I personally have flet like the program has taken a step back since coach Daly left. With him I felt we were moving forward, with coach Stig I felt like we returned to the days when getting above .500, winning a Hobo Day or two, and being a nice guy will let you keep your job.

I like Stig, but it is about wins, losses, and putting butts in the seats. Many other have expressed it and I agree, every home weekend needs to feel like Hobo Day.

Lastly let me say to attract the best coaching talent like NDSU does we need to back our program like NDSU does. We need to fund the scholarships and back the Jacks. The compleation of the Wellness Center with its upgraded locker rooms, backed seats, sky boxes, indoor workout facilities, new scoreboards, etc. needs to be a priority. From what I heard of Fred's speach it sounds like it is. With all this change it may be time for some fresh blood. That being said lets hope that Stig proves us wrong and we go out of the NCC on top.

Good Luck to Coach Stiegelmeier and his staff!
          Good Luck to our Jackrabbits!
          Do us proud in 2003!

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie95
            SDSUFAN had a post on the basketball string about the future of SDSU football.  While he feels the basketball program is headed in the right direction, he fears the FB program has shown little or no progress (SDSUFAN- I apologize if I am putting words in your mouth, but I agree with your post on the bb string).  What do you guys hear about the stability of the coaching staff.  Will Stig be back next year if the Jacks don't go 7-4 or better?  Should he be back?  Who would  be the leadingn candidates to replace him?  Babich made it easy for NDSU by leaving before they had to fire him.  I just don't think the Jacks have shown any improvement in the past five years.  Does anyone have any thoughts or insights?
            What I was getting at on the other thread was not necessarily the coaching staff, but rather the extra resources need to fund the extra 8 scholarships next year. I think our programs succeed or fail based on the amount of financial resources put into it.

If we have 8 extra scholarships, the extra cost is 7k per crack if in-state, but if they are from Ne or Ks, it gets higher priced. So we are talking maybe any amount of 56K to 72k the first year for scholarships alone. The coaches need a budget to go recruit, they need other things etc, so we are dealing with a higher price tag and you hope the funds are there to meet the new costs.

Fred mentioned on WNAX after the formal press release that there were increases in the endowments for the Scholarships and I am not sure what he is talking about, but its means more available to fund the scholarships. That also means what is left over from student fees can be used for other things in the budget.
            Generally the scholarship money comes from student fees except when someone sets up a perpetual scholarship in their name, that becomes a endowment meaning only the interest earned is applied towards scholarships.

As far as the current staff, I am behind them 110%. If they do not improve in the transitition period, then we can expect changes. I would not want to call for any heads today. Let's let the current staff see what they can do. I really dont want to speculate either on how they will do.

I dont think anyone amongst the alums wields enough power to name the next coach. If a new coach is needed, they will selected based on a screening committee and interviews and the AD and Presidents final pick. So we have to patient and see how these things work out. I guess I am a little queszy about the extra costs. If we dont have the money, then most of the sports will never be competitive and thats what I really meant.

Comment

Everyone I talk to (my wife, son, and dogs) thinks I should be the next football coach at SDSU*.  Ha ha   ;D

See coach Marking's comments

Seriously, SDSUFAN is right, it is all about the funding. We need to back the Jacks.

Go State!

Comment

Working...
              X