Predictions for NWMSU vs SDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Predictions for NWMSU vs SDSU

With their two quarterback system, lack of dept at O-Line and D-Line, and the long bus ride taking its toll, the 4th ranked Bearcats are shocked as the Rabbits pull off a late field goal and win in a season opening upset. SDSU 23 - NWMSU 21. ;D

Go SDSU!

Re: Predictions for NWMSU vs SDSU

89 rabbit
    I hope and pray you are right. The o line guys that they have starting seem to be NCC weight wise, but maybe they are a little thin. We will see. I am very anxious to see how the new changes in the defense work. If we can't stop them and our d guys are on the field a long time we dont win. We can not afford to give up 400 yards in total offense like we did in many of the games last year.

Comment

Come on SDSUFAN, give us a prediction. It is ok to be a homer here, you are amongst friends.

Go Blue!

Comment

SDSU 28
        NWMSU 22

All the NWMSU fans say its going to be a tough game. They make a big deal out of the fact that SDSU has always won their opening game.

You probably seen this today from the St Joe Press.

Wednesday, September 03, 2003

Bearcat Notebook: Numbers don't bode well for Northwest in opener

By MATT HUMPHREY
        mhumphrey@npgco.com

MARYVILLE, Mo. — Winona State’s 46-3 victory over Missouri Western last Saturday was felt at Northwest Missouri State.
        It showed the Bearcats that anything can happen in nonconference games, including unexpected lopsided losses.

“You never know what’s going to happen,” senior linebacker John Edmonds said. “That first game can be really scary and you have to expect the best from people.”

The No. 4 Bearcats expect noting but the best from South Dakota State on Saturday night. The teams open their respective seasons at 7 p.m. in Brookings, S.D.

Although the Bearcats have won 12 straight regular season games — including all 11 last year — they’re doing their best to not overlook the Jackrabbits.

Why should they? MIAA teams are currently 1-2 in nonconference play, including Missouri Southern’s season-opening loss to NAIA doormat Bacone (Okla.).

A win against South Dakota State (6-4 last season) is far from a gimmie.

“It’s going to be a tough game, tougher than what most people think,” senior defensive end Josh Honey said. “Coach (Mel Tjeerdsma) has done a good job letting everybody know that this is going to be a tough game, or has the potential to be one, anyways.”

Unfriendly history?

History doesn’t bode well for the Bearcats. Consider the following:

n Since 1995, the Bearcats are 1-2 in season openers on the road.

n One of those losses includes a 10-6 loss at South Dakota State (1995).

and

n South Dakota State doesn’t lose season-opening games at Coughlin Alumni Stadium.

At least not since the Ford administration.

The Jackrabbits haven’t lost at home in a season opener since 1976 — and they actually won that game later on. St. Cloud State forfeited a 39-13 victory.

Officially, the Jackrabbits haven’t lost a season-opening home game since 1973. Eventual NAIA national champ Northwestern (Iowa) beat them 38-28.

“I’m glad I didn’t look that far back,” Tjeerdsma said with a giggle.

But, hey, Tjeerdsma has some history on his side, too. In 1996, his Bearcats beat the Jackrabbits 23-6 in Maryville — the last time South Dakota State lost an opener of any kind.

Plus his athletic director, Dr. Bob Boerigter, was a wide receivers coach for Northwestern (Iowa) in 1973, so consider it a push.

Big 10 scout ‘D’

This might be the most attention Northwest’s scout-team defense receives all year. In Tuesday’s practice it disrupted the Bearcats’ first-team offense, thanks in part to a 6-foot-4, 300-pounder with Big 10 experience.

Steve Williams, a two-year starter at Indiana, transferred to Northwest last week after an unsuccessful stop at Northern Illinois. Williams wanted to transfer to Iowa, but his credits from UNI and Indiana wouldn’t transfer, he said.

So Iowa’s coaching staff pointed him in Northwest’s direction, and he enrolled in classes last week. The defensive tackle won’t be eligible until next season, but he doesn’t care.

Two years of losing at Indiana were enough for him.

“I’d rather play on a winning Division III football team than play on a team at Division I that loses every single game,” he said. “I might not be playing in front of 85,000 people, but I’m sure going to enjoy the game a lot more because I’m winning.”

Bits and pieces

The Bearcats have finally settled on a starting placekicker — well, sort of, anyway. Sophomore Jamie Martin will handle field goals and extra points, while junior punter Joel Mathews will kick off. Martin and Cory Paetznick, a true freshman walk-on from Des Moines, Iowa, have battled for the placekicking job the past two weeks … The team is relatively healthy as of Tuesday. Defensive lineman Mike Tiehen (bulging disc) and James Wiegand (shoulder) are back in practice, along with sophomore wide receiver Andre Rector (left thumb). Transfer defensive lineman Dave Tollefson (mid-foot sprain) will not play Saturday, but may return soon … Strong safety Damienn Chumley, troubled by an offseason DUI and team discipline, has left the team. Senior Gabe Middleton, a Smithville native, will start at strong safety, while sophomore Kelley Williams will back him up.
        tent ©2003, The News-Press, St. Joseph, Missouri
        ©1998-2003 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved.

Comment

That is good stuff, to bad they are not overlooking us. I had no idea we had done so well in home openers. I had not had a chance to read the article yet, my boss is flying in from Minneapolis and his boss from Chicago so I was making sure everything is just right. I am looking forward to a great game, I wish I could be there. I will be listening on the Internet.

Go Rabbits, beat the Bearcats!

Comment

38-10, Jacks. 21-0 after the first quarter. Best game at Coughlin since USD sailed in at #1 and went back south with their coyote tails between their legs.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'm not sure what to think... www.bearcatblitz.com has them running a 3-4 this year so the problems at DT may not be bad. I like the idea of playing them with a new defense, but the 3-4 can be just as dangerous if ran correctly. The NW DE's are deep, and the LB's are JR's and SR's. I personally think we can throw the ball and be very successful (especially if Nelson starts hot), the only question is how is the defense going to perform. I think we can score 28 easy on them, and I got a feeling the defense will force a couple trunovers from their 2 QB system(plus their rushing game is very unproven), SDSU wins 31 24

Comment

Welcome Johnny Jackrabbit, always good to see a new face. Stop back again soon, and feel free to register, it only takes a minute.

Go State!

Comment

Saturday night... under the lights at Coughlin... Students are all back..... big crowd....... 75 degrees......
                  Perfect night for football.....
                  JACKS 27
                  NWMSU 24

Comment

Final, SDSU 20, NW 0. Not quite the 28-point win I predicted, but quite acceptable nonetheless.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Got to give you props filbert I think you really picked the spirt of the game. Everyone else thought it would be closer. Now lets get ready for Winona St.!

Go Blue!

Comment

Great game for the Jacks. Nelson and Watson had great games, as did a lot of other players. Those two back to back goal line stands were awesome. The JACK D. sounded great. Great way to start the year. Looks like the two Dakota State schools had it their way today.

Comment

Great WIN! Jack Defensive stand stopping NWMS 8 times inside the 40 yard line. Anthony Watson is an absolute stud. We have more team speed than Jack team I've ever seen! Great crowd of almost 9,000!

Comment

My bad I meant inside the 4 yard line!

Comment

9,000 attendence: thats a great start to the season. I think thats more than we drew last Hobo Day. It would be so nice to average that this year and I think its possible, if we keep getting quality wins. I hope in the next couple of years with our move up to D1 and the completion of the stadium, and fielding a good team. I would love to see our attendence average 13-14,000.
                              Go STATE!

Comment

Working...
                              X