Winona State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winona State

OK, it time to think about next Saturday. Who knows the story on these guys? Wins over Missouri Western St 46-3 at home and Truman St. 49-13 on the road, so we know they can score. They are ranked #23. Thats about all I have.

Go State, beat Winona!

Re: Winona State

From what I remember last year, their offense is very unorthodox. They fake pitches on nearly every play, their line almost gets set, they stand up, and then get in their stance. If Curtin(?) is still their running back, he's a small very quick guy that has some good moves. There defense was fairly suspect last year. I have heard that this year's Winona team is much improved, but I would expect something of a shootout.

Comment

From what I have heard WSU is tough, but not real deep. My understanding is they fund 25 scholies as opposed to our 36 in the NCC. But, then again football is played with only 11 men on the field.....

Comment

Wyo Bison

But, then again football is played with only 11 men on the field.....

I think you guys know that better than anyone after the upset of Montana. I was listening 710AM in Brookings. I believe that station is out of Fergus Falls. What a game.

To stay on topic, I went to Winona website and that Curtin Kid is really built like a bowling ball. I hope our guys can contain him. Our defense coaches are going to have fun preparing for them. I would think SDSU will either get the MWSC or Truman game video. I would love to be a fly on the wall when the SDSU coaches review that one.

Comment

If it was Curtin that played against the Bison last year, he might be built like bowling ball, but he plays like a pinball. He had some of the longest 5 yard runs I have ever seen.

Comment

Prediction: SDSU 35, Winona 20
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

As a junior here at WSU, and a HUGE fan of team:

Kevin Curtin is still our running back, as well as our kick return man.  He's incredibly dangerous.  The back ups are fantastic as well.

Chris Samp is a fantastic reciever.  He had 281 yards receiving yards last weekend.

Bryan Hynes is another fantastic reciever, he's caught 4 TD so far this year.

Both Andy Nett and Brian Wrobel have split time at quarterback this year.  They average 63 and 60 percent completion rating respectively.

On Defense:

The Warriors have 8 Interceptions so far, and 13 pass break-ups.

Teams so far are averaging 71 yards rushing a game against us, and 229 yards passing.

Thoen, Sieck, Koehler, Madsen, Jaeger, Lokanc, Breitlow, Wayne are all huge threats on D.  Again, there is talent in the back-ups.

Special Teams:

Average starting position for drives for MWSC was their 23.  All eight kickoffs against Truman State went into the endzone.

Punter Pat Hurley is averaging 39.3 yards per punt.

Winona State is a very good team.  South Dakota State better bring their "A" game, or they could have a long trip home.

Comment

Thank you for the synopsis on the Winona State squad. Sounds like you have no weaknesses and we shouldn't even show up. I think we will bring a similar approach that we brought to the N.W Missouri game. I'm not sure it was our "A" game but it was good enough to beat the 4th ranked team in the country 20-0. We may not be ranked but if I were Winona I wouldn't underestimate the Jacks like NWMS did. I don't put much emphasis into the polls. We will see on the field if Winona is deserving of it's ranking! I would expect a large contingent of Jacks fans to travel to Winona like we do to all away games. See you in Winona!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                  we shouldn't even show up.
                  I think you are the first NCC fan ever to say that in reguard to at NSIC team (even in jest).

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                  We may not be ranked but if I were Winona I wouldn't underestimate the Jacks like NWMS did.
                  I'm confident that Coach Sawyer will not underestimate SDSU....we're still the ones fighting for respect, so every game means everything.

It should be great game, I'm psyched for it.  Oh, and you Jacks fans traveling to our little river town, I invite you to listen to 89.5 KQAL, The student radio station (for those of you listening to the game on pocket radios at the game).

Comment

Your right I was speaking in jest,but I do think it will be a competive game. I don't carry that NCC arrogance over the NSIC that some of our brethern carry especially in football. SDSU and NDSU have a lot of pressure to win this year with the move to DI next year! I believe we play you guys in basketball this year as well where we are expected to do well with a great lineup returning. What is the capacity of your stadium and what is the expected attendence. I will be driving down from my Twin Cities home. Best of luck!

Comment

Capacity at Maxwell Field is 3,500, give or take 300. I'd expect it to be close to a capacity crowd, but I think that most away fans get their tickets the day of the game, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

See you on Saturday, and best of luck to the Jacks!

Comment

This is from the Winona Daily News:

Published - Thursday, September 11, 2003

Defense ready for stiff test with Jackrabbits

By Ian Stauffer of the Winona Daily News

In the first two games of this season, the Winona State University football team's defense has caused nine turnovers — an average of 4.5 per game. That number is a vast improvement over last season's 2.6 turnovers per game over the course of 12 games. Advertisement

And the Warriors haven't even started playing their conference schedule, which is made up of lesser teams than WSU has faced in the first two weeks of this season.

Leading the way for the Winona State defense are tried-and-true senior linebackers Deric Sieck, Brent Thoen and Mike Madsen, and senior defensive backs Steve Koehler, Ray Johnson and Nick Jaeger.

"Our defense this year is a great improvement over what we've had the last two years," WSU coach Tom Sawyer said. "And a big part of that is the pressure we're getting, but also the ability of our defensive backs to make plays and get tackles."

Koehler has been a very pleasant surprise for Sawyer and the Warriors' coaching staff. In last week's game against Truman State University, Koehler tallied 13 tackles and picked up honorable mention for D2football.com defensive player of the week.

"The way our line gets after the quarterback and makes him throw the ball a little earlier makes it a lot easier for us," Koehler said. "We are pretty much just sitting back there and it gets pretty easy to pick the ball off.

"We've got a lot of seniors on this team, and we all know this is the last year we've got. We know what it takes to win a ball game and we all know how to go about shutting down an offense."

The key to shutting down an offense is turnovers, and Koehler has done his part, getting one interception this year. Jaeger and Madsen have each added two picks and three others all have one.

"Koehler has been playing very well," Sawyer said. "He's doing a great job of shutting down receivers on his side of the field and that makes the jobs for our safeties and other defenders that much easier because they don't have to watch that receiver quite as much.

"Everyone on our defense is really doing a nice job of getting their assignments done. The front four has been outstanding, the linebackers are making hits and causing problems and the backs are doing an excellent job of causing turnovers and getting us good field position."

The Warriors will face their toughest test of the season so far on Saturday when they play host to South Dakota State University at 1 p.m. at Maxwell Field.

The Jackrabbits beat the fourth-ranked team in NCAA Division II, Northwest Missouri State University 20-0 in both team's season opener last Saturday.

Comment

Its Game Day!  Go SDSU beat Winona State!   ;D

Lets Go Rabbits!

Comment

Can't get WNAX to pull up, but I am watching the game through the Winona site. Right now its WSU 6 SDSU 3.

Go Blue!

Comment

Well I finally got WNAX to work on the net so I don't have to listen to the HBC Channel 25 homer guys anymore. Its fun to watch the game on the net! Other then a mistake or two and tons of flags we are doing pretty well.

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                              X