Leaving for Oregon on Wednesday???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving for Oregon on Wednesday???

I heard that SDSU's football team is leaving for Saturday's game tomorrow. Can that possibly be true??If so, why? That has to be a huge cost to travel two days earlier than normal. This may have gone unnoticed if not for the tragic death of Donnie. Now many of his teammates are unable to attend the funeral? How sad.

Re: Leaving for Oregon on Wednesday???

The reason they are leaving on Wednseday is that  when they played Western Wash two years ago, they did not leave until Friday and they found that they could not play worth a hoot on Saturday. I was at the game they did not play good, except for Ranek who did his thing, but the defense was hapless not helpless in stopping the opponent passing and running game.

An assist Coach told me this summer that they were going to try and leave a day or two early to adjust to the climate and jet lag from the previous day.  This extra day may make a difference between winning and losing on Saturday.  

Since the Argus Leader already said the trip costs $40,000 I dont know that leaving on Wed will be that big of deal.  Coach Stig and some of the players are going to the funeral and will have a real tight schedule.

It beats the hell out playing Sioux Falls College.

Comment

It would have been nice for all 100 guys to be at Donny's funeral, but we would have had to cancell the game. I
      I think Donny would want his teammates playing the game and even if it was two day in advance travel and they missed his funeral. Life has to go on.

Comment

I agree with you that things have to gone on. I can't imagine what is going on in the minds of those young men. It will be difficult to predict how the team will come out and play. I remember it took the wind out of the Vikings sails all year following Kori Stringer's death. I'm not familiar with the medical facilities at Brookings but not surprised they were attempting to airlift him to Sioux Falls when he passed away. The whole thing is just demoralizing to see such a gifted student and athlete fall in his prime.

Comment

Working...
        X