CHANGES IN THE NCC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHANGES IN THE NCC

Here is an article that appeared in the Omaha World Herald yesterday.  Somehow the existing NCC members are still doubting or hoping the SDSU move will not happen.

Published Saturday
    August 9, 2003

More change expected in NCC

BY ROB WHITE

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER  

NCC Sports  

The North Central Conference could soon be in for one more round of reshaping.

South Dakota State is expected to announce its decision before Sept. 1 to either stay in NCAA Division II or follow Northern Colorado and North Dakota State into Division I.

"Every time we have had a change, we've ended up maintaining our position at the very top of Division II and as one of the finest in the country at any level," NCC Commissioner Mike Marcil said.

But the recent changes to the NCC are the most drastic in decades. First Morningside dropped to the NAIA level. Then Northern Colorado bolted for Division I, ending its run in Division II last spring.

Most damaging, though, was the defection of North Dakota State, which like SDSU is a charter member of the 82-year-old conference. The Bison are in the final year of NCC competition.

Minnesota-Duluth joins the NCC next year. If SDSU departs, the search would begin for another school to keep the league at eight teams.

"The concern I have is that you are losing both those institutions, which have been fine members of the conference," University of Nebraska at Omaha Athletic Director Bob Danenhauer said. "But we are excited that we're bringing in a school that fits the profile in Minnesota-Duluth.

"Now, if South Dakota State leaves, it will be a challenge for us in the conference to find someone to fit the profile once again."

That profile consists of respected academic tradition and fully funded athletic programs. That includes the maximum Division II standards in scholarships for athletes, including 36 for football.

As of now, the University of Nebraska at Kearney probably isn't a candidate to join the NCC. UNK has won eight consecutive Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference all-sports championships.

UNK Athletic Director Jon McBride said the school is already offering well under the RMAC limit of 36 football scholarships. The Lopers' athletic department budget of $2.5 million would be near the bottom of the NCC.

"If there were to be any formal discussions - and we haven't had any in the least - that would be the first issue," McBride said. "It would take a major infusion of money, and the financial climate is not great at this time."

With NDSU on the way out and SDSU possibly ready to join the Bison, many people in the league fear that North Dakota and South Dakota would soon follow their instate rivals and the NCC would break apart.

"If North Dakota or South Dakota looks at going, that definitely makes us look at other options," Danenhauer said. "But those schools have assured us that they are staying put."

SDSU proposed that the NCC move forward to Division I as a conference, thus keeping its traditional rivalries alive and easing the transition for all. But the Jackrabbits found no takers.

"Our decision will be based on what is best for our institution 20 years from now," SDSU Athletic Director Fred Oien said. "There are some really powerful decisions why not to do it in the short term. But the NCC would be very formidable over time in Division I."

UNO and fellow NCC teams North Dakota, St. Cloud State and Minnesota State-Mankato field Division I hockey teams, but all have indicated they aren't interested in joining Division I on a full-time basis.

Minnesota-Duluth has Division I hockey. South Dakota has discussed starting a Division I hockey program, but also remains committed to Division II. Augustana is the other member of the NCC.

Danenhauer said studies done by UNO have indicated that additional costs in moving to Division I would be at least $800,000 a year. Those include increases in scholarships, coaching salaries and staff size; an additional men's sport to meet the Division I minimum; and a women's sport to maintain gender equity.

"At this point we're not interested in Division I, simply because we're firmly behind the conference and keeping it strong," Danenhauer said. "We feel that Division II and the North Central Conference, and Division I hockey, is the best fit for us."

©2003 Omaha World-Herald. All rights reserved.

Re: CHANGES IN THE NCC

Nice post. I think the article shows exactly what the NCC is feeling about the SDSU move, and that is fear.

As the article pointed out (and I am paraphrasing here). . .UNC leaves, "oh well, they where never REALLY part of us". . .NDSU leaves "thats not so good, but we will be ok, we have UMD" . . .SDSU leaves "now what are we going to do, this whole thing my implode and what about Hockey"

For the rest of the NCC it is all about hockey. Its to bad that they didn't want to come with us. It would have been great to have the NCC at D I/I AA but that didn't happen and its time to move on!

Go Blue!

Comment

There seems to be a lot of denial and questioning of SDSU leadership over on the UND Board. I think they are reeling over the reality of the new NCC and lashing out in frustration.

Comment

The UND fan board is very typical of many of the message boards where their institution can do not wrong.  

SDSU leaving the NCC puts real pressure on UND more so than anyone else.  With their hockey program they have felt they were D1 because of their contests with the Gophers and Badgers.  

USD is very quiet and will be for some time, but UND has the resources.  Their athletic total budget is 6.2 of which 2.2 is for hockey. So take hockey out of the equation and they are equal to SDSU.

One thing that has to have put things on hold up their is the estate of Ralph Englestad.  Where UND will come out remains to be seen.  Ralph was very wealthy and putting up that ice arena on UND owned land creates quite a problem. Ralph's company still runs the ice arena and how is wife feels about the split may be different than what Ralph intended.  Doing the final tax return for Ralph has to be a big big job.  I have seen one where the person was not wealthy but owned a ton of stocks and bonds.  The final return was about 3 inches thick.  So I can imagine there are accountants working night and day on that tax return and other issues involving his estate.

If UND comes out of that in good shape, then I think they will move up. I think they will be okay.  

Their fans are very jealous of SDSU moving ahead and I think that their president is going to get some heat in the near future.

Comment

Tony posted this on the Bisonville board, the statistics are telling. This helps explain the fear and vicious attacks by some of those that we are leaving behind.

Tony said:

I think this illustrates the difference between the NCC with NDSU, SDSU, and UNC and without them.

North Central Conference Before:
          ------------------------------------------
          All Sports: 43 National Championships.
          Football: 51 playoff appearances (58 wins), 11 national champions, 4 runner-ups

North Central Conference After:
          ------------------------------------------
          All Sports: 10 National championships.
          Football: 24 playoff appearances (16 wins), 1 national champion, 1 runner-up

Maybe NDSU and SDSU can tack on a couple more championships and playoff appearances before they leave.

Comment

The NCC missed out again:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Th...article2.shtml

Go SDSU I AA all the way!

Comment

The last post by Rabbit89 infers that Division 2 is getting "watered down". What some SDSU fans need to realize is that they are being perceived as the "Upper Iowa" of Division 1. Remember, it wasn't long ago that Winona State was not considered a serioius Division Two program....

Comment

Let there be no confusion Division II is watered down to the point that the majority of the NCC has no business being in Division II athletics. As to your comment about SDSU being the Upper Iowa of DI we will see. The Jacks have consistently been a leader on the field and in putting people in the stands at the DII level and I'm confident we will rise to the challenge of DI faster than people think. As to Winona, I hope we get another crack at them in the playoffs. The team I saw beat NWMS 20-0 did not show up.

Comment

Originally posted by New to the Board
                  The last post by Rabbit89 infers that Division 2 is getting "watered down".  What some SDSU fans need to realize is that they are being perceived as the "Upper Iowa" of Division 1.  Remember, it wasn't long ago that Winona State was not considered a serioius Division Two program....
                  Thank you for making my point.  If Winona State is a "serioius" member of D II now, then in a few short years SDSU will be the same (it may not take even a few years, look what NDSU did to I AA power University of Montana when the Griz were ranked 4th in the Nation) in the D I/IAA ranks.

You also made my point that D II is getting wartered down.  Should SDSU be thought of in the same terms with University of Montana, Northern Iowa, Montana State, or should we be thought of as the same as Upper Iowa, or Newberry College (which UND plays this weekend with its 750 students).

I am not saying that there is anything wrong with Upper Iowa or Newberry.  I am sure they are fine schools, and I say welcome to D II.   However SDSU has much more in common with Montana, Northern Iowa, Kansas State, etc.  So thank you New to the Board for helping me make my point.  Please stop back anytime.  

Go SDSU!

Comment

Look even our friends in Grand Forks are thinking along the same lines. ;D   

From the Grand Forks Herald:

EDITORIAL: Football schedule at UND needs some oomph

OUR VIEW: UND's schedule has an impact on the school's success in other areas.

Recent editorials have celebrated enrollment increases and research gains at UND.

These topics got attention again Wednesday, when figures showed what UND officials had been expecting. Enrollment topped 13,000.

President Charles Kupchella called attention to the university's increasing funding for research in his State of the University address Wednesday. He also boasted about increased giving by university alumni and improving academic programs.

That's all wonderful.

But every silver lining has a cloud.

At UND, it's the football schedule.

While evidence is that UND continues its march toward first-class status in many areas, the record on the football field is less inspiring. It's not the team's fault. Nor the coaches. It's whoever drew up the schedule.

Newberry College? Location? South Carolina. Enrollment? 750. Won-loss record? One win in 11 outings. 18 straight losses in conference games.

Previous UND opponents: The University of Minnesota-Crookston. That was the Potato Bowl game. Time was, UND sought powerhouse opponents for that game. Time was, it had both tradition and suspense. This year's game was played on the same day that archrival North Dakota State University journeyed to the University of Montana. That's one of the schools that played in the Potato Bowl - in the old days.

Frankly, the football schedule makes us want to re-examine our conclusion that Division I status wasn't right for UND. This year's schedule makes it appear that UND is sinking though, rather than holding its own as a Division II power.

True, the schedulers say they're working on a tougher schedule for next season. That's good.

Athletics is not the most important thing on a college campus. But a successful athletic program has a lot to do with the university's image - and that has a lot to do with important things such as enrollment levels and alumni loyalty. And that has a big impact on research funding and academic programs.

So, Mr. President, a little attention to this little thing, please. A stronger football schedule is in UND's interest - and in the interest of Sioux fans.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------
                    Mike Jacobs for the Herald  

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandf...on/6798342.htm

I AA all the way for SDSU! ;D   

Comment

If the NSIC or NCC thinks a school (Upper Iowa) of 700 on campus students is the right fit for their respective conferences more power too them. It just reinforces why SDSU,NDSU,UNC and others that don' resemble these schools are moving on to greener pastures.

Comment

JACKGUY/89Rabbit,
                        Your last 2 posts have completely summed up why our D1 move was not only attractive, but imperative.
                        Imagine a D2 conference considering a 700 student school that I was unaware that had an athletic program. This is the "new" D2. I'm glad were not a part of it. I'm also pretty sure the "Sue" are also reaching this conclusion. I'm wondering if usd is seeing the writing on the wall yet? As for the "guest" poster, all of the conferences that SDSU and NDSU are considering, are very similar to us in size, and academics, and in many cases we are larger, and have much more tradition. So don't worry too much about us, we'll be just fine.
                        SDSU movin' up movin' on.....

Comment

I don't see USD in the same light as UND in their ability to make the move. They are in the process of hiring a new athletic director who may be able to rally alumni to support such a move.

Comment

Tex from Flandreau:

It will be very interesting to see who USD hires. I think Abbott wants a business type guy like Fred with a business vision. Higgins was a big buffoon with a great bluff. Abbott called his bluff and bingo we have an opening at USD.

How can you forget to get Pat O'Brien lined up for a fund raiser? Its no wonder Abbott fired him.

This new hire could be good for USD, but who ever the guy is he has a battle ahead of him. USD needs some major gifts for athletics to get them back on track.

Comment

Here is the latest from the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayarticle1.shtml

It was good to see the Argus Leader is finally getting on with it, rather then re-writing the same old article of why SDSU should not move. We will see how long it lasts. I have noticed that the Argus has not written a story about our games since the NWMSU game. Do you think this is part of a new strategy to ignore us? The way that USD and Augie are playing it could be hard to fill the Sunday paper. Nice job guys USD loses to D III and Augie goes to the wire with one. :

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                              X