UNO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNO

New week, new opponent.  Its time to get ready for UNO.  The last week of the road warrior tour, and in many ways the most important.  With the loss to WSU we need this one very badly.  We still have a chance to make the NCAA D II playoffs, but we will probably need to run the table.  We might even need some help along the way, with only 4 playoff spots up for grabs.

If we can beat UNO on the road we can finish strong at home with our only road game left in Vermillion against a USD team that we should crush.  So this weekend's game is huge.  Lets get the offense back on track and beat the Mavs.

Go SDSU!

Re: UNO

Thanks, Jacks, for a good tussle. Some of us were somewhat worried up to just before halftime. Your line may be TOO big. Our athletic D line probably wore them down (in my humble opinion). Good fortune the rest of the way. As far as I can determine, UNO defense is suspect. You can score on them.

Comment

Well UNO is ranked # 11 in d2footballs poll.  It is also their homecoming game this weekend.  I am sure it is not nearly as big a deal as Hobo Day.  Still they may be a little bit more fired up then usual.  Maybe SDSUFAN knows how big a deal it is to the Mav. faithful.

Speaking of rankings, no one can say that we have played a weak schedule.  NWMSU was #4, WSU was #22, WOU was unranked, NDSU #15, and now UNO at #11.  With 4 of the five on the road.  It might be nice to have a cupcake at home for a change.

Go Jacks!

Comment

Here is d2football's take on our upcoming game. Some good info:

South Dakota State @ Nebraska-Omaha:
        The Jackrabbits lead the NCC in passing offense (yardage) and the Mavericks are tops in passing efficiency. Needless to say, unless one of these two defenses comes to play, it could be one heck of an offensive explosion this weekend in Omaha. South Dakota State quarterback Brad Nelson is currently completing passes at a 63-percent clip, while UNO’s Brian Masek completes 64-percent of his tosses. Throw in SDSU running back Anthony Watson and Maverick tailback Justin Kammrad (who both average over 100 yards a game) and defenses can expect a long day.

http://www.d2football.com/Notebooks/Midwest/index.html

Go SDSU, beat UNO!

Comment

Originally posted by bisononce
          Thanks, Jacks, for a good tussle. Some of us were somewhat worried up to just before halftime. Your line may be TOO big. Our athletic D line probably wore them down (in my humble opinion). Good fortune the rest of the way. As far as I can determine, UNO defense is suspect. You can score on them.
          Bisononce:
          Your comment about the O line is well taken, and we more speed at just about every position if we are to be a winning season team at D1AA. I was at the game. Your D was very quick and made some big plays.

Comment

Looking over the some stats. looks like we are in for an offensive slugfest. UNO has a potent offense, but the D is a little suspect. We need our offense to score some points and hope the defense can limit the Mavs. to under their season avg. I am looking for a big win this weekend to kick off our stretch run, so that we can finish strong.

Go SDSU!

Comment

Good luck to the Rabbits against UNO!!!. Get back
              on the winning track and run the schedule.

Comment

Thanks dnk right back at ya!

Go SDSU!

Comment

Mavericks, Jackrabbits to play with heavy hearts

BY ROB WHITE

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

RELATED LINKS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

»
                  UNO Football

»
                  NCC Football

There's one part of Saturday's football game between UNO and South Dakota State that Jermaine Ballard wishes wouldn't happen.

The University of Nebraska at Omaha junior cornerback doesn't want to let himself look at the Jackrabbit sideline - because someone won't be there in uniform.

His friend and former Omaha Benson teammate, redshirt freshman Donnie Parsons, died following an asthma attack on the night of Sept. 13.

"It'll probably hit me harder before the game," Ballard said. "Last year I saw him over there in street clothes, and this year I won't see him at all."

South Dakota State comes to town for Saturday's 1 p.m. game at Caniglia Field still mourning the loss of Parsons, a running back known for his bright future and even brighter personality.

The team, continuing to seek closure, will visit Parsons' gravesite on Friday, then will try to go about the business of playing football.

"By no means are we all recovered or through the grieving process," SDSU Coach John Stiegelmeier said. "We couldn't just shut things down for a week. We only could for a day. We have a moment of silence before and after every practice in honor of Donnie and of what we each have to be thankful for. It's a reminder of how fragile life can be."

Anthony Watson, SDSU's starting running back, wears Parsons' jersey each day to practice. Watson, who also has asthma, had bonded with Parsons and the two became good friends. Parsons' No. 29 is worn on each player's helmet. The Jackrabbits, who normally don't pray as a team, asked their coach if they could do so on the field after their win Sept. 20 at Western Oregon.

"Everyone is different, but if a young man is motivated to play harder by Donnie's memory, then that's fine and I honor that," Stiegelmeier said. "I personally go to work and try to get more out of every day, every minute, because of what I am reminded of."

Another who considered himself a friend of Parsons is Josh Davis, SDSU's star receiver from Omaha Burke. He said getting through the team meeting following Parsons' death was difficult.

"He was a great teammate, and it affected us pretty bad," Davis said. "It made us a lot closer as a team. We just talked about it a shed a couple of tears and tried to move on. We still think about him all the time. Nothing like that has ever happened to me in my life, and it was a real eye-opener."

Parsons' loss is felt at UNO, too. The Mavericks liked the speedy Parsons as a high school athlete, but couldn't convince him to join their program.

"We looked at him as a cornerback and a skill player, but he just wanted to get out of town," UNO Coach Pat Behrns said. "But every summer since he's been gone he would come back and see us. This has been very tough. It's tragic."

Ballard said he and Parsons weren't necessarily best friends, but still were friends at Benson, despite their age difference.

"If he needed something, I was there and he was there for me," Ballard said. "When you're a team, you become a family."

Typically, Ballard said, Benson Coach Lonnie Tapp puts one of his best athletes at quarterback. Thus Ballard was the quarterback and Parsons played running back in Ballard's senior year. After Ballard graduated, Parsons became the quarterback.

"It's hard to lose someone who you're close to," Ballard said. "A couple of years ago I was handing off to him. You never know what's going to happen. You've got to strive for the best every day.

"The older you get, the more you realize that things happen and everything doesn't always turn out the way you intend it. You've just got to cherish every day. He can't be here, but I try to take a part of him out there with me."

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=...p;u_sid=873544

A sad reminder.

Go SDSU!

Comment

Jacks D makes a big 4th and 2 yds stop on UNO's first drive.  Way to go D!  

Go SDSU!

Comment

So far so good... This is an absolute must win for the Jacks

Comment

I missed the pre game show. Did Steve say how many Jacks fans made the trip to Omaha?

Comment

I joined in about halfway through (had to put my son down for his nap).  If he did it was in the first half of the pre-game.

Go State!

Comment

Great call to go for it on 4th down, we need TDs today!

Go Blue!

Comment

Couldn't put it in had to kick the FG. SDSU 3 UNO 0. Jacks D just picked off the Mavs. Thats what we need, score and make a few stops!

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                              X