USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD

We are back on the winning track, and it could and should be our last trip ever to the Dakota Dome (they will need to come to our house from now on) so let get fired up and beat the heck out of the Coyotes!!!

Go State! ;D

Re: USD

My fellow Rabbits, I will be in Kohler, WI all week so I don't think I will have a chance to post.  I am flying from there back to Brookings for my sister's wedding.  She did not have the foresight to leave me enough time to get to Vermillion and back, so I will have to listen to the game on WNAX.  So close yet so far away. :  I should be back on the board the week of the 24th.  Try a not miss me too much (ha ha).  Have a Great USD week and I will yak at you soon.

Go SDSU beat the mangy dogs, I mean Coyotes!   ;D  

Comment

Just read on the SDSU athletics web site that the game's going to be on KELO TV.

Of course a) I'll be at work until at least 2 and b) the only other rabid Rabbit I know of in KC, 89rabbit, will not be in town to help me browbeat some poor barowner into turning his dish to the game.

Woe is me.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Will this game be available at the local sports bar?(Dallas,TX) ? If so... are there coordinates for finding KELO on satellite? If so... I'll find a bar owner to browbeat to watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
          Will this game be available at the local sports bar?(Dallas,TX) ?  If so... are there coordinates for finding KELO on satellite? If so... I'll find a bar owner to browbeat to watch it.
          The quickest way to get answer to your question would be to email VJ Smith at the Alumni Center. The Alumni Association has been the sponors or these groups.

V.J. Smith
          E-mail Address(es):
          vj@alumni.sdstate.edu

I know they have done this in the past, but I have not heard anything about this year.

Comment

Good article in todays Argus regarding the potential end of the series. I'm surprised the Coyotes would turn down an opportunity to play the Jacks in Sioux Falls. I would think it would be the alternative and that is playing a nobody and get their usual attendence of 2,000 ppl.

Comment

Yea, but they "might" be able to get a win against a nobody.

Comment

If that is their only motivation than I say the heck with the rivalary. I dont' they are in a position to negotiate the terms of continuing the series. The majority of fans who will travel to Vermillion or Sioux Falls is Jack fans. I don't see a large contingent from USD fans in Brookings for either football or Basketball. I think our new rival rival anyway will be NDSU!

Comment

I just read the full article, Who do they think they are trying to dictate terms, if they want some leverage or to be on equal footing... move up ! Next year SDSU is D1. usd you are D2 this is what its all come down to. I'm surprised that we were even accomadating enough to offer those games in Sioux Falls ! IMO those games should be at Coughlin and Frost forever if the u doesnt like it tough! move up then!
                  Our new rivals will be NDSU/UNI/MONTANA/MONTANA ST.
                  usd and augie you are now even more insignificant than ever-get used to it !!!

Comment

I just sent off an e-mail to Fred Oien applauding the administration for taking a hard stand on this issue. Home and Home series between DI and DII schools just don't happen and shouldn't happen in this instance. USD has absolutley no leverage to make any demands. They should feel fortunate that the Jacks even want to play them. They will have more opportunities to make money with either a guaranteed payout in Brookings or a shared situation in Sioux Falls than any contest they could line up in Vermillion. I will not miss going to that joke of a facility for football or basketball the Dakota Dome!

Comment

Here is another article that is in todays argus leader under local news.
                      Regents outline goals, worries
                      Peter Harriman
                      Argus Leader

published: 10/24/2003

Declining enrollments, SDSU move to Division I are challenges

HARTFORD - South Dakota regents and their executive director Thursday presented an image of the state planning for public higher education in the next decade against the backdrop of:

• A steep decline in the number of traditional college-age students.

• A sharp rise in the importance of higher education.

• South Dakota State University's desire to develop a major college sports program.

At a wide-ranging forum attended by about 50 people at West Central High School, Regents President Harvey Jewett, Executive Director Robert "Tad" Perry and Regents Dean Krogman, Richard Belatti, Tonnis Venhuizen and James Hansen touched on the challenges facing public higher education in South Dakota.

Chief among these are predictions that by 2010, South Dakota will produce 28 percent fewer high school graduates than it does today but will need to produce 22 percent more people with undergraduate degrees to sustain the state's economy.

"That's a problem," Perry acknowledged. "How do we get 22 percent more with 28 percent less?"

Colleges and universities not only must make themselves useful to older, so-called nontraditional students, but they must graduate far more than the approximately 50 percent of all students who enter the system now, Perry and others said.

Perry also pointed out that per- capita spending on research and development - one of the chief financial engines for higher education - is lower in South Dakota than in every other state, at slightly more than $42, compared with a national average of $113.20.

"We've got major work to do on the research and development side," he said. "We just don't have the culture for it when you boil it all down."

Regents said their response has been to focus on four goals:

• Assuring access to public higher education to every qualified South Dakotan.

• Providing a high-quality educational experience.

• Ramping up research at state universities to enhance the state's long-term economy.

• Striving for economies of scale, elimination of duplicated services and other efficiencies in delivering higher education.

Perry said that direction has allowed the state to address the education needs of nontraditional students in the Sioux Falls area through the development of the USDSU consortium among the University of South Dakota, Dakota State University and SDSU; to help retain quality faculty by reducing a discrepancy between state and peer institutions in faculty salaries from 18 to 8 percent in the past six years; to begin the conversion of campus cultures from teaching to research; and to take on a project to merge the student databases at all six campuses in the state system.

At the same time, the regents have approved SDSU's plan to play NCAA Division I-AA football and all other sports in I-A.

State Sen. Clarence Kooistra, R-Garretson, asked Jewett and the others sharp questions about how the board could ensure SDSU's athletic dreams don't compromise the regents' overarching goals for higher education.

"Hardly anyone ever comes to me and says, 'This is a great move,' " Kooistra said of SDSU's move from the Division II North Central Conference to Division I. "Mostly they say, 'That's a mistake. As a legislator, what can you do about it?' "

Jewett said the regents have put SDSU on the clock. It has until next September to find a Division I-AA athletic conference that will accept the Jackrabbits and that meets regents' approval.

The board also granted the move to Division I contingent upon the approximately $2 million annual bump in the athletic budget being funded with non-public revenue, Jewett said. The SDSU Foundation and sports boosters assured regents this could be done, Jewett said, and based on its past fund-raising prowess, "the Brookings foundation has enormous credibility with the Board of Regents," Jewett said.

Still, he promised that the board would not go back on its decision to make SDSU generate its own revenue to fund the move to Division I. And if, by next September, the Jackrabbits can't demonstrate they will be taken into a conference, the regents will rescind their approval of the step up to major college sports, Jewett said.

The idea is to give SDSU the opportunity to reach its goal of going Division I, and at the same time, "hopefully, we have insulated the school from the downside" if fund-raising and conference affiliation projections fail to develop, Jewett said.

Copyright 2003 Argus Leader. All rights reserved

USA Today | USA Weekend | Gannett Co. Inc. | Gannett Foundation | PheasantCountry.com

Comment

About the above article I offer the following comments:

The opponents of SDSU D1AA move are at it again. This article prompted me to give Dr Oien a telephone call. He says that Harvey Jewett may be speaking from his own point of view.

I asked about the status of fund raising and Dr. Oien indicated that its going real good. Sid Bostic from the 1963 NC BB team is working full time on this an apparently he his getting results.

The Home and Home with Georgia Southern and Montana State are firmed up and there are more deals in the fire.

It would appear by September 2004, the only thing the regents can reverse their decision on is the finding a conference issue.
                        Jewett, a Flandreau native I believe, and USD alum has apparently been influenced by USD alums since he made public comments last December. He said at that time it was risky move for SDSU, but no mention of a time table for finding a conference. Whether Harvey Jewett has the votes to recind the decision remains to be seen.

Dr. Oien was not overly concerned and indicated that they would work through this challenge politically when the issue is put on the table, provided it is put on the table.

If USD would pay more attention to their own dismal situation and not worry about SDSU, maybe something would be accompolished in Vermillion.

Kooistra to refresh minds is the SDSU MA alum who is in opposition and in the SD Legislature. Another possiblity is that Jewetts comments were merely for Kooistra benefit. Being challenged in a forum like this the president of BOR had to say something.

Comment

taRe: USD

I didn't take Jewet's comments as that disturbing as I think he was just placating to Kooistra. As I said before in previous posts the legislators who have been outspoken against the SDSU DI move fortunately are some of the least respected individuals in the legislative according to a close personal friend who happens to be in the legislator. I would encourage people to contact Kooistra and inform him that there are more than a few people who support this move and think it is in the best long term interests of the school!

Comment

Is there away to make my views known to Rep. Kooistra, an e mail or phone number ? Then I will comunicate in very clear terms that this alumni is in favor of this move. Thankfully we have in our athletic administration visionary individuals that can handle these mindless fools who wont let this argument end.
                            As for usd, Jackguy/SDSU fan you are correct, they are in a sorry state of affairs in vermillion. the lone sports venue there would be better served as a grain bin than a sports facility (I'm not being facetious). They better start worrying about their own situation rather than "trying" to hold SDSU back.

Comment

As far as SDSU's conference situation, We may be able to shore up conference affiliations before next Sep. It sounds like we are already getting conferences in place for several sports ie. wrestling. I dont think that we will have a permanent home by then but hopefully we can piece together a conference in the next year. I believe we will be playing in the Big Sky with NDSU in the next couple of years, however this wont happen in the next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X