Future D1AA opponets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future D1AA opponets

Has anyone heard of potential D1AA schools we may schedule for next year, over on Bisonville they have talked about several teams that could be on their schedule, just wondering if any of our Posters that have good connections have gotten any rumors, or if any teams have been scheduled already?

Re: Future D1AA opponets

Here is a story from Southern Utah's newspaper it looks like they are trying to get with us for next year.  I would also think NDSU and UNC will be on our schedule next year, as well.  I have heard UNI, Montana St., and  Montana's name thrown around.  Nothing for sure though.  Here is the story on the Thunderbirds its a little old but speaks to this issue:

Tuesday, June 24, 2003  

Local Sports  

Email this story  
    T-Birds discuss formation of conference for its football team

By D.Gary Webb

CEDAR CITY -- For one of the few times during the school year, there are no games on the campus of Southern Utah University, but that doesn't mean there aren't things happening.  

Athletics Director Tom Douple has spent a few hours in the air and a few nights in hotel rooms, attending meetings with other athletic directors.  

While Douple spent time with a lot of people about a lot of issues surrounding collegiate athletics, the one that still intrigues Southern Utah fans the most is that of having a conference for its football team. We reported some information on the groundwork a couple of weeks ago, noting that many schools with Division 1-AA teams are exploring creation of a new conference.  

"I thought we had some very good meetings," said Douple. "There are a lot of issues to deal with; scheduling, administration of the conference and the timing were all issues we tried to deal with."  

The next major step is the league's set of bylaws. Different athletics directors have suggested using the Gateway Conference as a pattern, and that might be a course the new league would take.  

Timing will soon begin to be an issue, as schools attempt to sign contracts for schedules for the coming years. Typically, schools try to solidify a major part of their year a season or two ahead, with a couple of openings that are filled prior to the playing season.  

Southern Utah currently has four of the schools under contract for the 2004 season, so adding North Dakota State and South Dakota State would be the primary teams Douple would have to make room for.  

There's still no name for the league, which would include St. Mary's, Northern Colorado, UC Davis and San Luis Obispo in addition to the two Dakota schools and SUU.  

Douple also met with athletics directors from across the nation to discuss some difficult issues in their meetings, most particularly in the areas of academic reforms, graduation rates and student retention rates.  

Compared with most colleges and universities, Southern Utah stacks up well, but Douple said sitting on past laurels isn't the way the school likes to approach things. He'd rather identify areas where improvement can be made and make sure SUU stays at the forefront.  

Douple indicated that, as with most issues, the current talks were preliminary in nature, but said increasing the number of core elements required for eligibility and a reward system for schools which adhere to the rules rather than just penalties for those don't were among the issues discussed.  

"I think we fare well (on the issues discussed), but there is always room for improvement," said Douple. "We need to look at the data and see how we would fare with the (new) system.  

"We're very proud of our student athletes and our programs, but we always strive for improvement," he said.  

Originally published Tuesday, June 24, 2003

Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
    Copyright ©2003 The Spectrum. All rights reserved.
    Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service
    (Terms updated 12/20/02)

Comment

I was curious about a game from last week sot went to the Humbolt St offical website and copied their news story. It makes you wonder how bad is St. Marys, a very possible D1AA opponent or is how good is Humbolt State that plays in Brookings on Nov 15.

PART 1 OF 2
      Defense spurs Jacks to big win over Gaels

MORAGA — (Sept. 13) For the first time in 17 years, the Humboldt State football team found success in the East Bay, defeating NCAA DI-AA Saint Mary’s College, 20-6 on Saturday.

Humboldt’s last win against the Gaels on the road was by a 14-10 count during the 1986 season. This year’s victory evened HSU’s record to 1-1 in the early going while Saint Mary’s fell to 0-3.

The Lumberjacks’ defense rose to the challenge Saturday, holding Saint Mary’s to 252 yards of offense and intercepting two different Gaels’ quarterback a total of five times. Senior cornerback Duval Seamster had two of those picks, both cutting off early scoring threats.

Passes 18-40, 1 int. SMC 15-33, 5 intc., 364 yards of offense, SMC 252 yards. Waddy 76 yards, Wilson from SMC had 18-109. Creager 7-109. white 6-107.

The Gaels lost yards on the opening play, but were nearly unchecked on the remainder of their march down to the Jacks’ nine-yard line. That’s where the drive ended, however, when Duval Seamster intercepted a pass by Saint Mary’s quarterback Peter Mangum in the endzone.

Following a Lumberjack punt, Saint Mary’s dodged a turnover when a lateral pass was fumbled and recovered, with a penalty further hindering field position. On third and 20 the Gaels’ shot for the endzone again, but Seamster victimized Magnum with another interception to give the ball back to the Jacks.

“I know one of my responsibilities is to make big plays,” Seamster said. “I knew they were going to go deep, and we practiced that all week.”

Humboldt State began its first scoring drive at its own 49-yardline, nearly stalling twice along the way. Wide receiver Dustin Creager saved the drive both times, first by soaring high to pull down a pass on third and long, then catching and running for another first down in a similar situation.

From the Saint Mary’s 20, Dixon found Creager again, moving the ball inside the nine-yard-line. Adrian Waddy ran for seven yards before Creager astounded the crowd with a leaping, one-handed grab in the corner of the endzone for the game’s first score. Brent Adkins added the PAT to give HSU a 7-0 lead with 13:53 remaining until halftime.

All-American candidate Creager finished the game with seven receptions for 109 yards while teammate Chris White had six grabs for 107. Dixon completed 18 of 40 passes on the day for 264 yards and one interception.

Clint Wilson’s running was the Gaels’ most effective first half weapon, but penalties kept them from taking advantage. Wilson finished the day with 109 yards on 18 carries.

The Gaels quickly turned to the passing game, with Zac Connors coming off the bench to connect with Cordell Webb for a 28-yard completion that gave the Gaels’ possession at the HSU 35-yardline. On the next play Connors found Tate Soinila in the endzone to score SMC’s six, but the extra point missed to keep HSU on top, 7-6.

Humboldt wasted little time regaining the momentum on a 48-yard pass from Dixon to Chris White, who had beaten his man and streaked down the middle of the field to the nine-yard-line. Two plays later Dixon nailed Sean Quincey with an eight-yard scoring pass, and Adkins converted the PAT to move HSU up 14-6.

HSU’s defense continued its firm hold on the Gaels, giving the ball back to the Jacks’ offense with 1:26 left until halftime. Humboldt moved into field goal position, but Brent Adkins’ 32-yard attempt missed wide right to keep the score 14-6 at the half.

The Lumberjacks squandered a great opportunity in the third quarter when Wilson fumbled on the Gaels’ 15-yard-line. HSU moved the ball down to the nine, but failed on a fourth down conversion attempt when Dixon’s pass to Christian Bloomquist fell incomplete.

Comment

Part 2 of 2

After the change of possession, Humboldt’s defense held again, inducing the Gaels to punt from their own endzone. A personal foul penalty hindered HSU’s progress, forcing the Jacks’ Tim Wilson to return the favor and punt again.

The defensive struggle continued through the third quarter, with Saint Mary’s next drive abruptly stuffed when HSU defensive end Travis Kinyon sacked Connors for a 14-yard loss that forced another punt.

On offense, Humboldt plodded down field, earning one first down on three Waddy runs and another on a catch and run by Chris White. Again, the Gaels’ defense kept the Jacks from adding points to the scoreboard, taking over on the SMC 20 folowing an HSU punt.

With the offenses struggling, defense found a way to add to the scoreboard when Humboldt State linebacker by Tim White intercepted Connors’ pass at the SMC 33, breaking and cutting his way into the endzone. Kicking woes continued when Brent Adkins missed the PAT kick, making the score HSU 20, SMC 6 early in the fourth quarter.

Saint Mary’s earned a measure of momentum when a pass from Mangum to Dre Coleman gained 20 yards to erase a third-and-10 situation. Humboldt’s defense rallied to the cause, however, forcing the 8th Saint Mary’s punt of the game with 8:14 remaining.

The rest of the fourth quarter continued the punt exchange before the game finally ended when Cody Killingsworth pulled in the fifth HSU interception of the day. Saint Mary’s punter Ben Antongiovanni totaled nine punts for 359 yards on the day, while HSU punter Tim Wilson booted the ball nine times for 339 yards.

Score by Quarters 1 2 3 4 Score
        ———————— — — — — ——
        Humboldt State...... 0 14 0 6 - 20 Record: (1-1)
        Saint Mary’s (CA)... 0 6 0 0 - 6 Record: (0-3)

Scoring Summary:
        2nd 13:53 HSU - Creager,Dustin 3 yd pass from Dixon,Chris (Adkins,Brent kick), 10-51 3:26, HSU 7 - SMC 0
        11:03 SMC - Soinila, Tate 35 yd pass from Connors, Zac (Scoffern, Brad kick failed), 5-64 2:50, HSU 7 - SMC 6
        08:31 HSU - Quincey,Sean 8 yd pass from Dixon,Chris (Adkins,Brent kick), 6-72 2:32, HSU 14 - SMC 6
        4th 14:04 HSU - White,Tim 33 yd interception return (Petersen,Ben kick failed), , HSU 20 - SMC 6

HSU SMC
        FIRST DOWNS................... 16 14
        RUSHES-YARDS (NET)............ 40-100 34-84
        PASSING YDS (NET)............. 264 168
        Passes Att-Comp-Int........... 40-18-1 33-15-5
        TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS-YARDS..... 80-364 67-252
        Fumble Returns-Yards.......... 0-0 0-0
        Punt Returns-Yards............ 6-73 3-21
        Kickoff Returns-Yards......... 1-25 3-79
        Interception Returns-Yards.... 5-74 1-8
        Punts (Number-Avg)............ 9-37.7 9-39.9
        Fumbles-Lost.................. 2-1 3-1
        Penalties-Yards............... 5-45 8-74
        Possession Time............... 33:12 26:48
        Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 5-28 1-8

RUSHING: Humboldt State-Waddy,Adrian 24-76; Dixon,Chris 8-14; Smith,Corey 7-11; Team 1-minus 1. Saint Mary’s (CA)-Wilson, Clint 18-109; Mangum, Parker 7-15; Coleman, Dre 1-2; Team 1-minus 1; Ratliff, Stephe 2-minus 8; Connors, Zac 5-minus 33.

PASSING: Humboldt State-Dixon,Chris 18-40-1-264. Saint Mary’s (CA)-Mangum, Parker 9-20-3-76; Connors, Zac 6-13-2-92.

RECEIVING: Humboldt State-Creager,Dustin 7-105; White,Chris 6-107; Adkins,Brent 3-47; Quincey,Sean 1-8; Waddy,Adrian 1-minus 3. Saint Mary’s (CA)-Ratliff, Stephe 6-37; Webb, Cordell 3-39; Coleman, Dre 2-35; Wilson, Clint 2-14; Soinila, Tate 1-35; Goldsby, Philli 1-8.

INTERCEPTIONS: Humboldt State-Seamster,Duval 3-18; Killingsworth,C 1-23; White,Tim 1-33. Saint Mary’s (CA)-Borba, Weston 1-8.

FUMBLES: Humboldt State-Smith,Corey 1-1; White,Nick 1-0. Saint Mary’s (CA)-Mangum, Parker 2-0; Wilson, Clint 1-1. Humboldt State vs Saint Mary’s (CA) (09/13/03 at Moraga, CA)

SACKS (UA-A): Humboldt State-Kinyon,Travis 3-0; Blanco,Alex 1-0; White,Tim 1-0. Saint Mary’s (CA)-Cordisco, Dan 0-1; McIver, Kelvin 0-1.

TACKLES (UA-A): Humboldt State-White,Nick 5-6; White,Tim 4-6; Blanco,Alex 4-3; Wigton,Brandon 1-6; Killingsworth,C 2-4; Kinyon,Travis 4-1; Seamster,Duval 3-1; Macomber,Chad 1-3; Weinberger,Z 3-0; Ashton,Kevin 1-1; Sherbert,Sean 1-1; Killingsworth,K 1-1; Bullard,KeJuan 1-0; Graham,Justin 1-0; Adkins,Brent 1-0; Lovejoy,Chris 0-1; Bernard,Kevin 0-1; Wilson,Markeese 0-1. Saint Mary’s (CA)-Villarreal, Hea 3-8; Mike, Ray 0-11; Smith, Brandon 3-6; Woodards, Antho 2-6; McDermott, Mike 2-5; Cool, Alex 1-6; Borba, Weston 1-6; O’Hara, Sean 1-4; Harper, Stevela 1-4; Lucero, Lucas 0-5; Cordisco, Dan 0-4; Kavulich, Greg 2-1; Caceres, Mike 0-3; Menke, Travis 1-1; Henderson, Marq 0-2; McIver, Kelvin 0-2; Soinila, Tate 1-0; Sheridan, Sean 1-0;

Comment

Tough to win with 6 turnovers. 5 int. is almost unheard of. Before the season began St. Mary's College was picked by some to be "the best" of the independents. Many of which would be in the Great Western, so far that is not the case. I think they look like the weak sister of the Great Western, hey but every conf. needs one.

Go SDSU!

Comment

Fred Oien was on WNAX during halftime of the Western Oregon game and said he can't wait to release the names of schools we have worked out contracts with (paraphrasing). He sounded excited, hopefully that means we have some good schools/games for both the Football and Basketball teams.

Go State!

Comment

I'm curious too about that comment, I cant wait to see our schedule next year. He did make it sound like we have some interesting opponets. Whoever it is we'll be competitive. (BB & FB)
              GO STATE

Comment

When can sheduled games be announced? If we have a signed contract for a game can it be made public at that time? Perhaps they want to get most, or all of the games scheduled before any announcements are made. Regardless, It will be great to see some diffrent (D1) schools on the schedule
                Goodbye Si Tanka - Hello Iowa St. (hopefully)

Comment

As many times as I have chatted with Fred Oien, this is a mystery to me too.  He can be cryptic for unknown reasons and that what it sounded like in the interview.  Maybe the contracts are no more than an oral agreement at this point in time.  Pres Miller is often gone, and maybe she has to sign off.  Jerry Oster must have had some inside stuff otherwise he would not have asked about them, but he was wanting not enbarrass Fred or WNAX.  I noticed Steve Emming got a little nervous when Oster asked Fred about playing golf on this trip. That kind of stuff the Argus will like to make a story out of one. AD plays golf on week long football trip that costs 40,000 and the team leaves on Wednesday despite the unexpected death of one player.

Comment

I've got no problem with the AD playing a round of golf with area alumni or otherwise. I'm sure the whole athletic department has had a tough week. Let the Argus continue to spew the negativity. I'm not a Jerry Oster fan and wish Steve Imming was asking the questions in the post game. I hope WNAX adds someone that really understands football to work along side of Steve Imming.

Comment

I will go one better.  I say an AD whose schools is moving up to D I better being playing golf with West Coast Alumni and asking for money when the team is out that way. Being in sales I know that a lot of business get done on the course, and I hate golf, so I think Fred is doing a great job.

Go State!

Comment

Everyone who knows Fred knows he is a great golfer and loves to golf, but work is first with him. Fred won the NCC in golf when he was coach. His son John is on the SDSU Men's golf team and is a very good golfer as well.

Your right though 89rabbit, most of the trade groups that I work with when ever they have meetings somewhere will include a Texas scramble. Its fun and important.  I love golf for the excercise. Seldom rent a motor cart.  My cart has a handle and two wheels and works just fine.

I hope too, that he does golf with the potential generous donors.  They are out there.

Comment

H ere is a progress report from the Grand Forks Herald

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003

SIOUX FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Jackrabbits ready for Division I
                          By Wayne Nelson
                          Herald Staff Writer

BROOKINGS, S.D. - It's full steam ahead for the South Dakota State football program next year.

The Jackrabbits are preparing for their move to NCAA Division I-AA competition by aggressively pursuing a challenging schedule.

SDSU athletic director Fred Oien said the Jackrabbits' 2004 football schedule is two-thirds complete.

"It's going better than we imagined," Oien said. "We're talking to three or four teams that are ranked in Division I-AA. We're talking home-and-home contracts."

SDSU is a charter member of the North Central Conference but announced earlier this year it will elevate its athletic program to Division I next season.

Oien said SDSU will play some Division II schools due to existing contracts. Rival Augustana is one Division II school the Jackrabbits will play.

There is no word whether SDSU will play South Dakota - its other main rival - next year.

Coauette delivers

It didn't take South Dakota State linebacker Chris Coauette long to make his presence known.

On UND's first possession, Coauette - a Crookston native - recovered Joe Wilson's fumble at the Sioux 2. Wilson was hit hard after he gained 11 yards on a run out of the pocket.

Wilson apparently was injured on the play and did not return. John Bowenkamp, who Wilson replaced this week, took over at quarterback.

The Jacks scored five plays after Wilson's fumble, as quarterback Brad Nelson hit Josh Davis on a 60-yard pass.

Briefly

• UND trailed 21-3 at halftime, yet had a five-minute advantage in time of possession.

• Before he was hurt, Wilson completed all five of his pass attempts.

• Rain fell in Brookings early Saturday. But playing conditions were fine at game time.

Comment

That is great news! Way to go Dr. Oien! 8)

Go SDSU!

Comment

I'm hopeful we schedule UNI in both football and basketball and the Montana schools in both sports. On the basketball side Drake, Creighton,Nebraska, would be great.

Comment

Working...
                              X