GATEWAY CONFERENCE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GATEWAY CONFERENCE

Report over on the Bisonville website that Western Kentucky is poised to leave the Gateway Conference. Could be a great opportunity to join an esstablished football only conference. Would be nice to play UNI on a regular basis. Challenge would be to get in the Missouri Valley Conference which many of the Gateway schools are a member of. My best scenario was always to be in the Gateway for football and Missouri Valley for other sports. It would be nice to travel to Drakes,UNI and Creighton.

Re: GATEWAY CONFERENCE

Me too. A much better fit for our Basketball teams then the Big Sky. How likely is it that they will take on additional members? That would be a GREAT fit for SDSU and our fans!

Comment

A lot is happening with Conf. re-alignment.  It looks like some of the teams that our potenial conf. homes thought might come to them (or come back to them) are being sucked up by others.  Some of their own teams are talking about leaving as well.  It may be too early to tell, but I think all this movement is going to help SDSU and NDSU.  I would love to see SDSU and NDSU in the MVC and Gateway that would be great!  

Anyone heard any rumors?  

Go SDSU, D-I/I-AA all the way!

Comment

The only rumors I've heard have been with the impending departure of Miami from the Big East, there could be a trickle down effect all the way to the MidAmerican and Gateway in the next couple years. Top teams trying to jump up and all...But that may be too late for State anyway.

Comment

Without a doubt the best fit is the Gateway and Missouri Valley Conference. It would be a haul to most of the eastern members of both conferences, but less than the Big Sky. I guess a fellow needs to find some time with Mapquest to figure that out.

If we do match up with the Gateway, and MVC, I think it may be a few years. Its the coming and going that new football attendence imparts, will make a difference.

If Montana decides to go D1A, thats going to open our chances for the Big Sky. There has been some talk of that. Funny part the Griz fans want to stay D1AA. Does that sound familiar?

Comment

I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but I don't see you guys joining the Missouri Valley, and I'll tell you why.

The Missouri Valley commisioner is very anti-expansion right now. There was a rumor that the Mo valley was going to try to get 2 of 3 possible teams, St. Louis University, Western Kentucky, and Butler University. The commisioner kinda put the kabash on that at media day recently. In my honest opinion, if he is against that, then he would be against having NDSU and SDSU joining. While I'm not contesting you guys might be a good asset down the road, but he's against trying to get Western Kentucky or Butler to join. That would put us as probably THE best mid-major conference in all of basketball. Adding two brand new D-I schools might diminish the RPI ranking of the conference and hurt teams in getting at-large births. It might improve the MVC somewhere down the road, but that is a huge gamble for Elgin and the MVC teams to make.

I'd suggest join up in the GWC. It sounds like a good idea.

Comment

At halftime of a televised game last year, Commissioner Patty Viverito was asked, "will North Dakota State and South Dakota State be invited to join the Gateway?"

She said no, explaining the schools' locations won't work for the Gateway.

I guess things could change, but you are a long trip for the likes of Youngstown State and Indiana State. I think some sort of realignment would have to take place with the OVC before the "Missouri Valley" rediscovers its geographic origins.

p.s.--the Gateway is one of the Missouri Valley's football conferences...the Pioneer is the other.

Comment

Originally posted by salukiboy
                I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but I don't see you guys joining the Missouri Valley, and I'll tell you why.

The Missouri Valley commisioner is very anti-expansion right now.  There was a rumor that the Mo valley was going to try to get 2 of 3 possible teams, St. Louis University, Western Kentucky, and Butler University.  The commisioner kinda put the kabash on that at media day recently.  In my honest opinion, if he is against that, then he would be against having NDSU and SDSU joining.  While I'm not contesting you guys might be a good asset down the road, but he's against trying to get Western Kentucky or Butler to join.  That would put us as probably THE best mid-major conference in all of basketball.  Adding two brand new D-I schools might diminish the RPI ranking of the conference and hurt teams in getting at-large births.  It might improve the MVC somewhere down the road, but that is a huge gamble for Elgin and the MVC teams to make.

I'd suggest join up in the GWC.  It sounds like a good idea.
                I too think the MVC is a long shoot, however I will disagree with your reasoning.  St. Louis had been rumored to go to the A-10 (which they will do) for sometime.  Western Kentucky is talking about moving its football to D-I and being a full member in the Sunbelt, Butler was hoping for an A-10 invite and probably would see the MVC as a lateral step at best.  

I think your commisioner threw cold water on the expansion idea (as it pertains to the schools you sited) because they where not coming anyway.

I agree that your Conf. is at the top of the Mid-Major heap.  I also agree that your commisioner is very concerned about your RPI.  That is why we want to join and that is why it is a long shoot.  However it only takes one or two schools leaving to make a person re-think his or her position, and the way things are going who knows.  

Salukiboy, just so you know, SDSU is not your average D-II want to be.  We have a long history of success in Basketball.  The Men have made 23 NCAA Tourney Apperances (4th most all time) with 1 NCAA D-II National Championship and 1 Runner-UP.  The Women are the Defending NCAA D-II National Champions.  Both the Men and Women are ranked in the Top 5 as we head into the 2003/2004 Season.  We will be an asset to which ever conf. we end up in.  I would love it if it was the MVC but if not that will be ok.

Goto go the Jacks are playing in the Disney Tip-Off Classic down in Orlando and the pre-game show is about to state.  

Go Jacks!

Comment

I am not disputing SDSU's as being legitamite or not. I'm just thinking from the MVC's perspective. This is a conference that has had 2-3 teams in the NCAA tourney since at least 1998, and adding two unproven teams in D-I could hurt that streak drastically.

That's just my perspective, if you guys enter, great! I'll treat you like any other conference rivals when you enter the dawg pound.

Comment

Hey, Saluki, it's a deal. We'll brave the dawg pound if you're up for an appearance in The World's Largest Rabbit Den. It doesn't seat 10k like SIU Arena does, but 8,500 people in Frost Arena can (and do) make a lot of noise, too.

See ya in D-I.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                      Hey, Saluki, it's a deal. We'll brave the dawg pound if you're up for an appearance in The World's Largest Rabbit Den. It doesn't seat 10k like SIU Arena does, but 8,500 people in Frost Arena can (and do) make a lot of noise, too.

See ya in D-I.
                      Frost can't seat 10K? Why is it I seem to remember an Augie game back in '85 where we had something like 13K in there?

Comment

Nope...biggest ever crowd was the Cal State Hayward NCAA tournament game. 9,300 or so.

With the cowbells, it just SOUNDS like 13,000. Honest, the two loudest sporting venues I've ever been at have been Frost Arena at that Cal State Hayward game, and a Twins game at the Metrodome the year they won their first World Series title.

And that includes KU's Allen Fieldhouse and Arrowhead Stadium, and old Mile High in Denver.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

They reconfigured Frost when they added more seats with backs (late '80's early '90's) so we lost a few seats.  We added $$$ to the program because the seats that where added cost more to sit in.

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                          X