Fate of the NCC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fate of the NCC

I always liked the idea of the whole NCC moving up to I-AA. Omaha UND, and USD, belong in D-I and they are going to regret their decision--especially when the NCC gets watered down by the winona states of the world. What is the NCC going to do after NDSU and SDSU leave? There are no quality programs to take your place.

Re: Fate of the NCC

bear,
    Youre right, Our AD Fred Oien lobbied hard for the whole conference to move up and I dont think he got a lot of help from the NCC commisioner Marcil. Now they are faced with some huge holes to fill. I still believe that UND will come along for the ride after NDSU/SDSU has blazed the trail ahead of them. Omaha is definetly D1 material but the Neb. state legislature will prevent it at all costs to protect the "mighty" Huskers as the only game in the state. USD -who knows, I'm in the minority with this opinion, but I cant believe their alumni will just sit back and watch SDSU move forward, they have a lot of rich alumni who could make it happen-but their athletic dept. is pretty shoddy and unorganized. They just hired a new AD so we'll see what happens. I'm just glad that we're moving up. It has been an exciting year and the future looks great ! ;D ;D

Comment

UNC Bear---yes, it is too bad the entire league could not have moved up....as for Mn. State and St. Cloud State, both are pretty much occupied with the expense of men's and women's d-1 hockey, which seems to be prioritized at both schools. Despite the sizable enrollments of both schools (14,000 at MSU, 16 or 17 thousand at St. Cloud), neither college seems to have the hard-core alumni or fan support of the Jacks, Sioux, or Bison. This might be a result of the predominance of the U. of Minnesota in the state; and the numerous professional sports nearby. Whatever the reason, it appears both schools for now are staying in d-2; I have heard nothing which would indicate that either school is even considering d-1.

Comment

Originally posted by MSU ALUM
        UNC Bear---yes, it is too bad the entire league could not have moved up....as for  Mn. State and St. Cloud State, both are pretty much occupied with the expense of men's and women's d-1 hockey, which seems to be prioritized at both schools. Despite the sizable enrollments of both schools (14,000 at MSU, 16 or 17 thousand at St. Cloud), neither college seems to have the hard-core alumni or fan support of the Jacks, Sioux, or Bison. This might be a result of the predominance of the U. of Minnesota in the state; and the numerous professional sports nearby. Whatever the reason, it appears both schools for now are staying in d-2; I have heard nothing which would indicate that either school is even considering d-1.
        What you are saying about alumni support that SDSU, USD NDSU and UND and the lack of it at MSUM and SCSU, may be very true, but it does not have to be that way.

With the right adminstrator or President, you can develope alumni following through social events and establishing a Foundation that does nothing but raise money.  The fund raising does not have to be exclusively for athletics either.  I am convinced that SDSU Foundation and sucess has been because of the SD legislature appropriating less and less tax funds for higher edcuation.  SDSU nows refers to itself as being as a "state assisted instituion" instead of "state supported institution."  I believe roughly 26 per cent of SDSU total budget revenuce comes from tax appropriations.

If an institution can combine academic and athletic fund raising into one foundation, it gives each and every alum somthing that they can support financially.
        The are some alums at every institution who loathe athletics and can be very negative when approached, but given the opportunity to support an academic project they just might do it.

As far as the NCC, I still contend that D1 hockey was the wedge that split the conference. Those that have and those who do not have D1 hockey are going in a separate directions.  Augustana does not fit either group but wants to maintain status quo in D2.

Comment

I could not agree more. Winona State and UM Duluth are good football programs but I'm unsure of the other sports. My only comment to add is that it is probably in the best interest of the school with D1 hockey to remain D2. E.G. - UND. They make a KILLING off hockey are are able to fund the rest of their programs from it, ensuring athletic success all around.

and UNCFan, way to kill Augie. You guys scare me for next year...

Comment

Working...
          X