UNC ranked in the top 25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNC ranked in the top 25

UNC is ranked in the top 25 of I-AA in their first year of playing at the higher level. This speaks well for our decision to move up and be competitive.

http://www.greeleytrib.com/apps/pbcs...FuHaZxOVHSptFq

UNC football team ranked in Division I-AA

Story by Sam Mustari

The University of Northern Colorado football team has cracked the Sports Network’s Top 25 poll for the first time in school history.

In their first year of competing in Division I-AA, the Bears were a bit unsure how they’d stack up to start the season. After a 7-2 record with their second victory over a Division I-AA opponent — 29-25 Saturday at Southern Utah University — the Bears are ranked No. 22 in this week’s poll. The Bears also beat Division I-AA Montana State University, 14-10 last month.

NCAA rules don’t allow the Bears to qualify for the postseason during their four-year transition period to Division I-AA, but the committee that decides the rankings considers Division I-AA Independent schools.

“We’re just out there having fun and showing our fans and everybody else that we can play at this level and belong at this level,” wide receiver Vincent Jackson said after a relatively easy victory over Minnesota State, Mankato.

Adam Matthews, the school’s all-time leading rusher, was more blunt after a loss to Idaho State University when he said: “People were saying that we couldn’t keep up with their speed, and we did. People were saying we wouldn’t be able to consistently play at this level, and I think you can see that we will.

“We’re every bit as good as teams at the Division I-AA level, and I think we’re starting to show it.”

Against Division I-AA opponents, the Bears are 2-2, losing to Idaho State University and Florida Atlantic University by a total of 11 points. Their victories have come on the road over Southern Utah University and nationally ranked Montana State.

“I’ve said it all along that we have a bunch of Division II players who are competing at the Division I-AA level,” UNC head coach Kay Dalton said after the Bears’ loss to Idaho State. “They can compete at this level pretty well.”

Idaho State dropped out of the Top 25 this week after Montana State slipped from the poll a week ago.

Joining the Bears in their first week in the poll are Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo, Jacksonville State (Ala). Northeastern University (Ma.), Georgia Southern and Furman (S.C.)

The Bears will play their final home game of the season at noon on Saturday against Division II North Central Conference foe Augustana College before finishing the season Nov. 22 at California-Davis.

• SECOND NIGHT GAME: Saturday’s game with Southern Utah University was the Bears’ second night game of the season. UNC played under the lights against Idaho State University in Pocatello, Idaho. The second half of their Oct. 18 game at Florida Atlantic University was played under the lights in the gloam.

• ON THE BUS AGAIN: Just like the Montana State game, in which UNC’s team traveled by bus, the Bears left Cedar City, Utah, via bus immediately after Saturday night’s game, and arrived in Greeley about 10 hours later.

The Bears split the bus ride out to Cedar City, traveling to Grand Junction on Thursday, and then departed for Cedar City on Friday morning, arriving at 4 p.m. Friday for a walkthough workout.
    The difference between the two bus trips was that the Bears had a bye week after their 14-10 victory over Montana State. The bus trips are results of athletic department budget cuts this season. The Bears last road game will be Nov. 22, at Calfifornia-Davis, in which they will fly commercially into Sacramento, Calif.

• TORCHED UP: SUU’s Eccles Stadium is one of two football stadiums in the world sporting the Olympic Rings and Olympic Cauldron Torch inside the stadium. The other venue which features both is the Los Angeles Coliseum.

Southern Utah’s Olympic Cauldron was donated by DCU Incorporated of Utah, and was lit by the Olympic Torch Feb. 5. 2002 during the Olympic Torch Relay on its way to Salt Lake City for the Winter Olympics.

• CONFERENCE CONNECTION: Like the Bears, Southern Utah is an independent member competing in Division I-AA in football. The Eagles are a member of the Division I MId-Continent Conference in all other sports except gymnastics, which competes in the Western Gymnastics Conference. UNC has explored interest in joining the MId-Continent Conference after completing its four-year transition period to Division I for all sports expect football, which is not offered by the Mid-Continent Conference.

There have been preliminary talks of forming a Division I-AA football conference which could include UNC, Southern Utah, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo, St. Mary’s (Calif.) and California-Daivs.

• NEARING THE END: The Bears will return home and play host to former North Central Conference colleague Augustana College on Saturday at noon at Nottingham Field in their final home game of the season. Their season finale will be at 2 p.m., Nov. 22 at California-Davis.

Go Blue!

Re: UNC ranked in the top 25

whew! the universe seems to be in order again. Augustana was playing tough but the score is 14-0 with 9 minutes before halftime.

Comment

The Bears are up to # 20 first year in I-AA.

ESPN just updated their poll.
      http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankings?poll=4

RANK TEAM RECORD PTS PVS
      1. McNeese State (30) 9-1 941 1
      Last game: Def. Northwestern St. 13-9 (Nov. 15)
      This week: at Nicholls State (5-5)

2. Wofford (3) 10-1 890 4
      Last game: Def. Furman 7-6 (Nov. 15)

3. Delaware (2) 10-1 848 6
      Last game: Def. Massachusetts 51-45 (Nov. 15)
      This week: at Villanova (7-3)

4. Montana (3) 9-2 795 5
      Last game: Def. Eastern Wash. 41-10 (Nov. 15)
      This week: at Montana State (6-5)

5. Southern Illinois 10-1 747 2
      Last game: Lost to Northern Iowa 43-40 (Nov. 15)

6. Massachusetts 9-2 713 3
      Last game: Lost to Delaware 51-45 (Nov. 15)
      This week: vs. Rhode Island (4-7)

7. Northern Iowa 9-2 685 11
      Last game: Def. Southern Illinois 43-40 (Nov. 15)

8. Colgate 11-0 669 8
      Last game: Def. Fordham 14-3 (Nov. 15)
      This week: at Holy Cross (1-10)

9. Western Illinois 8-3 587 10
      Last game: Def. SMS 63-42 (Nov. 15)

10. Pennsylvania 9-0 582 9
      Last game: Def. Harvard 32-24 (Nov. 15)
      This week: vs. Cornell (1-8)

11. Grambling 9-2 567 12
      Last game: Def. Savannah State 33-17 (Nov. 15)
      Next week: at Southern (Nov. 29)

12. Western Kentucky 8-3 563 7
      Last game: Def. Youngstown State 37-13 (Nov. 15)

13. N. Carolina A&T 10-1 495 14
      Last game: Def. Hampton 38-28 (Nov. 15)
      This week: vs. South Carolina St (7-4)

14. Fla Atlantic 8-2 424 15
      Last game: Def. Siena 51-3 (Nov. 15)
      This week: at Florida Intl (2-9)

15. Southern 10-1 417 16
      Last game: Def. Texas Southern 24-17 (Nov. 15)
      Next week: vs. Grambling (Nov. 29)

16. Bethune Cookman 8-2 414 17
      Last game: Def. Howard 21-7 (Nov. 15)
      This week: vs. Florida A&M (6-5)

17. Northern Arizona 8-3 383 18
      Last game: Def. Sam Houston St. 34-18 (Nov. 15)

18. Villanova 7-3 302 13
      Last game: Lost to Maine 14-10 (Nov. 15)
      This week: vs. Delaware (10-1)

19. Jacksonville St. 7-3 223 20
      Last game: Def. Eastern Illinois 36-24 (Nov. 15)
      This week: at SE Missouri State (5-6)

20. Northern Colorado 8-2 185 25
      Last game: Def. Augustana SD 41-0 (Nov. 15)
      This week: at Cal Davis (6-3)

21. Northeastern 7-4 161 22
      Last game: Def. Richmond 45-0 (Nov. 15)
      This week: at James Madison (6-5)

22. Maine 6-4 127 NR
      Last game: Def. Villanova 14-10 (Nov. 15)
      This week: at New Hampshire (4-7)

23. Georgia Southern 7-4 110 23
      Last game: Def. Elon University 37-13 (Nov. 15)

24. Idaho State 7-4 108 NR
      Last game: Def. Cal Poly 38-31 (Nov. 15)
      This week: vs. Southern Utah (4-6)

25. Fordham 8-3 83 19
      Last game: Lost to Colgate 14-3 (Nov. 15)
      This week: at Towson (6-5)

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES
      Lehigh 77, Gardner Webb 64, Appalachian St. 44, Stephen F. Austin 41, Weber State 36, Cal Poly 18, Hampton 14, Jacksonville 7, Alabama A&M 7, South Carolina St 6, Montana State 6, Furman 4, Yale 3, James Madison 2, Northwestern St. 1, Harvard 1.

Comment

The first GWC to crack the top 25! Congrats UNC!

Comment

If UNC can beat Davis and stay top 20 it will have to do wonders for recruiting and maybe even fan support.

Comment

Working...
          X