• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD Fires Head Football Coach

USD's coach has been let go.

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/foo...ELEASE_ID=1551

USD Football Coach John Austin's Contract Not To Be Renewed

11/17/2003

The contract of South Dakota Head Football Coach John Austin will not be renewed, according to an announcement today.

VERMILLION, S.D. – The University of South Dakota interim director of athletics Greg Redlin announced today that head football coach John Austin has been relieved of his coaching duties, effective immediately.

According to Redlin, the remainder of Austin’s and his assistant coaches’ contracts will be honored through June 30, 2004, but will not be renewed. A national search for Austin’s replacement will begin immediately. The search process will move quickly, Redlin added.

“After closely reviewing the football program, I have concluded that it is time for new leadership,” Redlin said. “John Austin has worked tremendously hard over the last five years, running a well-organized and disciplined program. However, at The University of South Dakota, we have high expectations. Those expectations were not being met in our football program.”

Coach Austin, who was appointed in January 1999, just completed his fifth year as head coach. While Austin was at USD, the Coyotes compiled a 22-32 record while at USD, including a 14-27 mark in the North Central Conference. This season, South Dakota recorded a 5-6 mark and a 2-5 record in the NCC (sixth place). A year ago, USD finished 3-8 overall and 2-6 (eighth) in league play. In his first three seasons, Austin had records of 4-7 (3-6, sixth) in 1999; 8-3 (6-3, third) in 2000; and 2-8 (1-7, ninth) in 2001.

Before coming to USD, Austin spent nine years at Iowa, serving as the Hawkeyes’ defensive line coach, recruiting coordinator and assistant offensive line coach. During his playing days at South Dakota, he was an honorable mention All-NCC selection in 1979 and served as USD’s team captain. Austin, a native of Watertown S.D., is a 1980 graduate of USD

“I am very appreciative of all the wonderful faculty and support staff that have been so helpful,” Austin said. “I’d like to give special thanks to our admissions, financial aid and the faculty, who helped me in recruiting. I would also like to thank the many past players who have donated financially to help the football program. Finally, I would like to thank the players and their parents who I have had the opportunity to coach. Helping these young men grow individually, and as students, has been truly rewarding.

“This program has come a long way since I arrived in 1999,” Austin added. “In the past four players, I have had four players move on and contribute in the NFL (Jamel White, Josh Burr, Josh Stamer and Filip Filipovic). The football program is in excellent shape with the returning players. I believe this group will compete for a conference championship and a spot in the national playoffs in the near future.”

According to Redlin, the current assistant coaching staff will have the opportunity to apply and interview with the new football coach.

Go State!

Re: USD Fires Head Football Coach

Austin fired as USD football coach
    By MICK GARRY
    mgarry@argusleader.com

published: 11/19/2003

Watertown native was 22-32 with Coyotes

The University of South Dakota fired head football coach John Austin on Monday.

Austin, a Watertown native and 1980 USD alumnus, directed the football program for five years with an overall record of 22-32.

Austin was asked to resign on Sunday by university officials but refused.

"I told them I wasn't going to resign, that's just not me," Austin said. "I never asked my kids to quit, so I wasn't going to quit either. They could do whatever they thought they had to do."

The announcement came two days after the Coyotes defeated Lincoln University 56-7 in non-conference play to finish the season 5-6, with a 2-5 record in the North Central Conference.

"After closely reviewing the football program, I have concluded that it is time for new leadership," interim director of athletics Greg Redlin said. "John Austin has worked tremendously hard over the last five years, running a well-organized and disciplined program. However, at the University of South Dakota, we have high expectations. Those expectations were not being met in our football program."

The high expectations have rarely been met in recent years, regardless of who's been coaching football at USD.

Austin presided over a program for five years that has had only four winning seasons in the 15 years since Dave Triplett's departure in 1988, with just two winning seasons in the North Central Conference.

"Just because we haven't been finishing in the middle of the pack or higher consistently, we still hold those expectations," Redlin said. "John won 40 percent of his football games and 34 percent of his conference games. Behind the numbers, most of those wins came against teams in the lower half of the conference. Recent history notwithstanding, we think we can do a lot better."

One of the two winning seasons in the NCC came under Austin, who led the team to an 8-3, 6-3 mark in 2000 in his second year at USD. The Coyotes have gone 10-22 since then.

USD had a promising freshman running back in Dusty Stamer, who ran for 1,034 yards during that 2000 season, but he transferred to Nebraska. Then in 2001, the Coyotes played some home games off-campus - and moved training facilities and offices to other buildings on campus while the DakotaDome's roof was being replaced. The Coyotes have not approached the high-water 6-3 NCC mark since then.

"We never recovered," Austin said. "We've always been able to get some good kids into our program, but the challenge is to find the difference-makers and develop depth. With the limited number of scholarships, developing depth takes more time than we had. It was a combination of things that didn't work out the way we wanted them to, but the bottom line is that we just didn't get it done. I understand and respect that it's part of the business."

Triplett was the last coach to leave USD with a winning record in the conference. Denny Creehan, who coached from 1992-96, was the only one to leave with a winning record overall (28-27), but he was just 19-26 in the NCC.

"My conclusion is that there isn't a lot that needs to be changed in our facilities or our budget," Redlin said. "Our budget compares very favorably to what other NCC schools spend. We are in an excellent competitive position with the DakotaDome. I really think that leadership is what can make the difference."

Austin, a former team captain at USD as a player, spent nine years at Iowa, serving as the Hawkeyes' defensive line coach, recruiting coordinator and assistant offensive line coach prior to moving on to take over for Ron Rankin, who was fired after going 3-8 in 1998.

He took on a job that demanded more time devoted to fundraising than at Iowa. He counts among his successes improvements in lockerroom facilities and coaching offices, all through funds donated because of the football program.

"We went out and raised money to make this a better place to be," Austin said. "(USD) has a big dollar deficit within the athletic program that they're going to have to get corrected. All the coaches at USD have to raise dollars. If the coaches didn't do it, the money wouldn't be there. The people just haven't been in place who know what to do as far as raising funds. My hope is that they let the next AD do the things that will be necessary to be successful."

The move comes before the next director of athletics, Joel Nielsen, is officially on-board at USD. Nielsen, who will take over as director of athletics on Dec. 1, will have a hand in naming Austin's replacement.

"He's a football guy," Redlin said of Nielsen. "He's very intensely interested in the sport. We've already began assembling some good football minds who we will consult on the selection. We'll be working in the next few days to begin the process."

Austin said he wants to continue coaching at the college, professional or high school ranks and will be pursuing jobs in the coming weeks.

"My big concern is for my assistants," Austin said. "I hope they can find jobs, or that they get serious consideration at USD when the school decides who they're going to bring in. I think the kids here now, with some additions here and there, are capable of taking the next step. If they're resilient and take care of their school and their workouts, things will fall into place for them."

Comment

No big surprise here. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. I wonder if there is anyone on the uSD squad that is D1 material that we would want to transfer to SDSU.

Comment

This was my favorite part of the story. We all knew that USD Athletics was in a finacial mess and here is the proof.

We went out and raised money to make this a better place to be," Austin said. "(USD) has a big dollar deficit within the athletic program that they're going to have to get corrected. All the coaches at USD have to raise dollars. If the coaches didn't do it, the money wouldn't be there. The people just haven't been in place who know what to do as far as raising funds. My hope is that they let the next AD do the things that will be necessary to be successful."

The move comes before the next director of athletics, Joel Nielsen, is officially on-board at USD. Nielsen, who will take over as director of athletics on Dec. 1, will have a hand in naming Austin's replacement.

Go State!

Comment

I'm wondering what the future holds for our own football coaches. Our 7-4 record is a little decieving. The only quality opponent we beat was St. Cloud. Another situation where we surrendereed a lead late and almost lost. I'm very critical of how we coached in both the Winona and UND loss. I just wonder if Coach Stig and Co. have what it takes to move this program forward in D1AA . I personally would like to see some new blood with D1 experience coaching and recruiting such as NDSU.

Comment

I have made my feelings know on numerous occasions. My feelings have not changed. However I am strating to think that Stig and Co. will be around for the first few seasons of I-AA. I think there is to much else going on for Fred to make a switch at this point. The move to D-I/I-AA may have bought Stig some additonal time on the job that he might not have received otherwise. I hope he uses this additional time wisely. Good Luck to Coach Stig as he heads into recruiting season. Go get us some good ones!

Go State!

Comment

I almost typed the same thing in my last post that with all the changes that a change in coaching staff as well might be a bit overwhelming for everyone. I am concerned that NDSU is moving at a much faster rate than SDSU as they will be up to 56 scholarships next year for football and be at the average of 60 in 3 years which qualifys them to play a D1A school. I think we are going to need the payday that a D1A school can offer.

Comment

Last night we had a long chat about what it takes to play a I-A and when it was most likely to occur. A GSU fan informed me that our Bison brothers (the fans/posters) have been operating under a false assumption brought on by and old newspaper article (with an old rule).

Here is the post from baldy:

http://www.anygivensaturday.org/cgi-...850&page=4

Just to clear up the discussion....
                I-A's may count I-AA's towards bowl eligibility, but only once every four years. That's the exact reason why we play UGA every four years.
                Point 2:
                The I-A's can count the I-AA's towards bowl eligibility if and only if the I-AA they play carries the full 63 schoarships.

There is no rule stating I-A's have to play only full scholarship I-AA's. I-A's can play non-scholly I-AA's if they wish, but the game will not count towards their bowl eligibility.

And a little later:

Quote:

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                I think I get it, but I am not sure. So if I follow you correctly UGA only plays a I-AA (in this case GSU) every four years because that is the only time they can count that game. Is that correct? And then it only counts because you have 63 scholarships.

Bingo, I think we have a winner!

Quote:

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                Lastly if a I-A knows it is going to get enough wins to be bowl eligible, but is looking for an extra home game or two, for the bucks it would bring in, they might look to I-AA because they would not have to do a home and home. Have I got it? Sorry new to this I-AA/I-A thing. Thanks for your patience.

Right again, just look a K State's schedule for the past few years. Multiple I-AA's, multiple times. There are some others who play I-AA's more often than just the 1 every 4 years...some of the big boys do, the schools who are borderline try to avoid I-AA's like the plague, and the ones who have no bowl chance whatsoever do(for the extra home game).
                Welcome to the wacky world of I-AA.

Comment

Aww, Austin was fired.
                  *evil laugh*
                  Hahahahahahaha...muhuhahahahahaha. ha

Okay, sorry about that. I'm done.

Wasn't a big fan of his.

Comment

89Rabbit,

I have to question Baldy's perspective on the I-A vs. I-AA criteria.

First, Gene Taylor and Craig Bohl (who both have I-A experience via Navy and Nebraska) have both repeatedly stated that NDSU needs to average 60 scholarships over 3 years for the game to be "bowl eligible" for the I-A opponent.

Second, Baldy states that a team needs to be at the full 63. Well, that doesn't always happen. Sometimes a school wants to be at the full 63, but has somebody leave the team, or they may want to hold back a scholarship or two for the following year if they don't have many seniors on the team. Averaging 60 over three years is more believable to me.

Third, He never provided a link or reference. Remember, it's on the internet, 96.3 % of the internet is BS. ;D

I have heard the 1 game every 4 years rule has been thrown out. I have heard conflicting stories on all of this, but believe what the NDSU AD has said because he is probably researching it a little more indepth than the casual I-AA fan.

Comment

I hear what you are saying, however this conversation got started on anygivensaturday.com because a UC-Davis fan asked where the Bison fans were coming from.  He had never heard of the rules that you guys have talked about.  The only thing that you could provide was an article from '00 that mentions it in passing.  I guess if you think Baldy is off let him know, I was just passing on a different view point.

http://www.anygivensaturday.org/cgi-...y=&others=

That being said, you are right Baldy did not provide any proof, however neither has anyone else.  I do have high respect for your AD and Coach and if anyone should know it would be them, but I have not heard them speak first hand nor seen anything they have written on the subject.  I don't know who to beleive (not that I think anyone is trying to mislead here).  I was simply posting what we had gone over on another board.  If you notice I said that Baldy said that you guys are off base.

Bottom line it looks like there are rules about bowl eligibility (although no one seems to know what they are for sure) but many of the teams that do infact play I-AA teams won't care because they will be bowl eligible without the I-AA game counting.  So it only effects boarderline schools.  It is all about the extra $$$ generated by an extra home game for most teams. I kow that is what motivates Kansas State down here.

Let me leave you with this, I think both NDSU and SDSU should get to 63 just as fast as we can, so our programs can compete with the best on an even playing field.  I would love someone to dig into this issue and give the definitive answear, until then I will ask people and will pass on what I am told.  Not as fact but as what I heard.

Comment

I'm afraid SDSU will not ramp up the scholarships at the same rate as NDSU which will put us at disadvantage with our tough schedule.

Comment

I heard from the most reliable source possible, that we would be adding 8-10 schollys per year.

Comment

89Rabbit,

Found it! Here's the link-http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbook...postseason.pdf

It's on page six, right hand side, under "Bowl-Game Invitations", under "Deserving Winning Team"-

A deserving winning team is defined as one that wins a minimum of six games against Division I-A competition and has a record that includes more wins than losses. [Exception: Once every four years, a Division I-A institution may count a victory against a Division I-AAopponent that has averaged 60 financial aid awards equivalencies infootball during the three previous academic years.] Only a conference champion may seek a waiver of these requirements..
                            Looks like Taylor and Bohl are on top of the game ;D. There also is pending legislation to get rid of the "once every four years" rule.

Comment

bisonguy,

You are the MAN!  Still you or we could play someone sooner if they didn't care about the win for their Bowl eligibility.  That would encompass many teams.  See UNI vs Iowa State, they play every year and it only counts (as of today) every 4th year.   See also Kansas State that plays 2 I-AA teams in most years (this year McNeese St. and UMass).  Another example of this is Kansas they play a I-AA every year.  These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.  Of course if a school could count the I-AA game every year it would be of benefit to have Avg. 60.  Something to think about.  Thanks for the info.

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                              X